Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

21014 Villa Savoye

sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
edited July 2012 in Collecting
Received this today.

Comments

• mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    Cool. Did you pick this up from Amazon the other day? Seems that they broke the release date. I wouldn't mind seeing some more box pictures and even the set if you plan on putting it together.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,389
    Nice... can you send a larger version of the picture for the database, please?
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Huw said:

Nice... can you send a larger version of the picture for the database, please?

Feel free to harvest from:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7127/7632573738_5ff7841b18_o.jpg
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7113/7632575606_cb7fd78caa_o.jpg
    mathew said:

Cool. Did you pick this up from Amazon the other day? Seems that they broke the release date. I wouldn't mind seeing some more box pictures and even the set if you plan on putting it together.

Yes, picked up from Amazon.com. Dunno if I'll build it yet or not.
    If you do decide to open it up, I would like to see a picture of the parts list.

I'm a sucker for modernist structures so I'll try buying this when the price drops a bit.
  • ringleheimringleheim Member Posts: 168
    This set looks really cool to me. I think it's instantly one of the better architecture kits to date, and it is a decent parts count too.
    It's still $70. The problem with the Architecture models is that they use a lot of small pieces so the value really isn't there. You're paying a premium for the packaging.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Really excited about this. Will go for it soon as I can get 10% off.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,389
    Thanks. I see it's now 'currently unavailable' Amazon.com so good job you got in quick...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,507
    ^ So who copied who?
    Interesting. Both sets are very good but clearly different. The Lego offering is a good bit bigger and seems to offer better roof detail. I actually prefer many features of the CUUSOO version however! I prefer its use of flat tiles (not studs) for the groundwork and its windows seem to be more accurate to the real building.

This is yet another example of a Lego architecture kit being quite good, but not special. You can argue the Cuussoo example is just as good or better in certain ways.

I still think this building when reduced to a Lego micro build just "works", whereas some of them do not.
    mathew said:

It's still $70. The problem with the Architecture models is that they use a lot of small pieces so the value really isn't there. You're paying a premium for the packaging.

Well you have to calculate the average cost of the pieces in the set to really understand the value or lack thereof.

Using Lego's own Pick-a-brick prices, you quickly see that the cheapest, smallest piece is .06. Many are .10 or more. If you parted out the set, what would the average piece cost be? If it would cost you about 10 cents a piece, the set is not bad value at all. That's $66 right there. If the pieces average out to 8 cents, the deal is not nearly as good.

No doubt we are paying for the slick printing work incoporated into these sets, however.

• SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 541
    CCC said:

^ So who copied who?

I don't know if the idea was copied, it could be a complete coincidence. However it's very possible that LEGO took at least some inspiration, given that the CUUSOO project is seven months old (and I'd never heard of this set being announced).
    edited July 2012
    To be fair, anyone who had access to the needed bricks and had the talent would come up with something very similar. I like the garden area of the CUUSOO set. Maybe it's not as accurate, I like the use of clear 1x2 plates for windows better in the official model. The CUUSOO model unfortunately only a little over 200 votes so you can't really argue that it was going to make it. Maybe if it had 10K votes, Lego rejects it, then makes their own model would you have a case. Regardless, I'm sure Lego designers are at least "inspired" by models in the MOC community.

Using Lego's own Pick-a-brick prices, you quickly see that the cheapest, smallest piece is .06. Many are .10 or more. If you parted out the set, what would the average piece cost be? If it would cost you about 10 cents a piece, the set is not bad value at all. That's $66 right there. If the pieces average out to 8 cents, the deal is not nearly as good.

I don't think pick-a-brick is a terribly accurate way of judging a fair price for a set. Those small 1x2's and tiles cost Lego next to nothing to produce. I agree though that the Architecture sets are good if you're looking for small plates and tiles. When I was sorting out bricks the other day I was surprised by how few small plate pieces that I had for MOC's.
    The 'value' comes down to many things. I understand one reason the Architecture sets are more expensive are because Adam Reed-Tucker manages a lot of the work - its not wholly 'in-house' like other Lego themes.
    I would be interested in seeing what kind of bricks are making up the base plate. It appears to be sitting up a good 3/4 inch which would imply something taller than a plate.
    mathew said:

I would be interested in seeing what kind of bricks are making up the base plate. It appears to be sitting up a good 3/4 inch which would imply something taller than a plate.

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean the Lego set? If you look at the huge photos in the links above, the Lego version (not the Cuusoo) seems to be sitting on 4 plates, with the 4th and highest being the green "grass" plate.

So you could say the "base" of the set is 4 plates high, or 1 and 1/3 brick high.

Or did you mean something else?

• AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    This is definitely a must have for me as the architecture of this building is one of my favorite styles. The only architecture set I've not purchased is the Sydney Opera House which I saw as an insult to the real thing. Some of the early ones are less than interesting builds, but this one looks like a great build.

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean the Lego set? If you look at the huge photos in the links above, the Lego version (not the Cuusoo) seems to be sitting on 4 plates, with the 4th and highest being the green "grass" plate.

So you could say the "base" of the set is 4 plates high, or 1 and 1/3 brick high.

Yes, the Lego set. I have the Farnsworth House set and it sits two plates high but the bottom section (which is hidden) consists of a few long, black 2x plates that support the 12 dark green base plates. The fact that the Villa sits higher would imply that there is more to the foundation than just plates stacked on top of one another. Of course, more plates are always good in my book.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,947

No doubt we are paying for the slick printing work incoporated into these sets, however.

That's what I thought when I bought 21000 and 21002, so I was more than a little bit disappointed to find an obvious error in the "A Word from the Artist" section in both instruction books (the plural of landmark should not be landmark's!).
    ^ That is a proof readers error. If you read books on an e-reader of any sort you'll find numerous errors that aren't in the books. They are not the fault of the author.
    Clearly the fault of at least two of the author, copy editor and proofreader. Inexcusable at that price.
    As for errors in ebooks that aren't in the paper versions, that's most likely due to the ebooks being obtained from a "dubious source", or a publisher not knowing what they're doing.

The paper books I've written have always originated from an electronic print-ready source (I expect nearly all are nowadays), so there's no reason why an ebook version would ever have spelling or grammatical mistakes in it unless the publisher does something daft like OCRing the paper version or inadvertently using an older, unfinished version.
    All my e books come from Amazon and are known authors, and they often contain many errors. A human inputs what he/she reads into a devise and if he/she misreads or allows their eyes to wander to a different line it likely results in an error. But back to the subject at hand . . . Villa Savoye

My apologies for letting myself take the discussion off topic.
    @sidersdd.....open this pup
    mathew said:

Yes, the Lego set. I have the Farnsworth House set and it sits two plates high but the bottom section (which is hidden) consists of a few long, black 2x plates that support the 12 dark green base plates. The fact that the Villa sits higher would imply that there is more to the foundation than just plates stacked on top of one another. Of course, more plates are always good in my book.
    I am guessing the edge plates form a frame around a dead space. Inside that dead space sits some bricks (would be correct thickness) to support the upper most plate level.
    Asked at the Shepherd's Bush brand store about it today and release is due for 1 Sept in the UK.
    I vow not to buy this overpriced set. One of the reasons it commands a high price is the fancy-looking instruction book that contains information about the building and some words from the designer.

As a result, you'd expect these books to be well made, wouldn't you? Sadly, they are not: Four of the architecture sets I own have incredibly obvious typographical errors in the books, including the one for Big Ben! Lego told me they have no intention of fixing these. Maybe the Lego motto of "only the best is good enough" only applies to the bricks? I find that disappointing.

I'm not going to reward these continual failures by giving them money for this next architecture set. Quite frankly, it drives me mad to see such obvious typos in a premium Lego product. I would happily proofread the next architecture instruction book for free just to avoid these types of shoddy, brand-weakening mistakes!
    edited July 2012
    ^ You're overreacting. Seriously. How do you even know whether or not there are typographical errors in the book with this set?
    You think it's okay for Lego to continue producing sets with sloppy errors in? For one thing, I don't think it sets a great example to children if Lego doesn't even know how to write or use apostrophes properly.
    Oh, you edited your response before I'd finished my reply. Never mind.
    I did not claim there are typographical errors in the book with this set (although it wouldn't surprise me!). Architecture sets from 2-3 years ago are still being sold today with typos in the books, and a very recent set (Big Ben) also has careless errors in it. The fact that this has happened at least 4 times, and that they have no intention of fixing it, is why I'm not going to buy this set.
    Yes, I edited my post because I was overreacting to your post. Most Lego sets contain very little text so I don't consider it an issue. You buy the set because you like the model first and foremost. I agree though that the Architecture sets are overpriced because of the slick instruction manuals and that they should be better proofread.
    It does look like a nice model, and as much as I despise the number of errors in previous sets, I suppose I probably will still buy it if the price is sensible :-/ (Yes, my vows are weak)

I really like the whole architecture series, apart from the Sydney Opera House of course :) That's the only one I haven't bought so far. It just looks a bit wrong!
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    ^Im guessing their not changing the older sets because its' too much work/money
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Then that is a shame, perfection is the goal, and when you have obvious errors, they should be fixed.

LEGO is a premium product, if I wanted cheap junk, I'd buy those other brands.
    edited July 2012

^ Then that is a shame, perfection is the goal, and when you have obvious errors, they should be fixed.
    LEGO is a premium product, if I wanted cheap junk, I'd buy those other brands.

Really, the grammar issue is totally overblown. I just checked the Farnsworth House manual and couldn't find any problems. I didn't scour, but did re-read the few pages at the beginning. It's a nice overview of how the house came about and why it's important. It's not designed to replace a $50 textbook on architecture. Personally I find reading about architecture rather dry and much rather see more pictures and illustrations.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    All I have to say is we are all human and make mistakes. I have seen college textbooks that have tons of grammatical errors. Big deal....it happens. Unless you are a robot and even then, they make mistakes every once in a while. No reason getting anything in a knot :)
    Some of the mistakes are simple spelling errors rather than grammatical errors. You don't need to be a robot to use a spellchecker, so there's no excuse really.

Considering how little text there is in a typical Lego Architecture instruction book (4-5 small pages on average?), it's a bit of a poor show. College textbooks can hardly be considered a premium product, and they contain several hundred more pages of text.

Looking at the instructions for the other architecture sets, it turns out that more than half(!) of them contain typos or grammatical mistakes:

I don't think it's insignificant that 9 out of the 14 current architecture sets have mistakes in the instruction book, and I think it's reasonable to expect better than that.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    edited September 2012
    In-depth review now posted on Eurobricks: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73745
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 541
    I passed on this set this morning; as much as I like it, I knew it was just going to be built, gather dust, and then taken apart.
    ^ I feel the same. One of my first sets coming out of my Dark Age was the Farnsworth House. It was not a very fun build primarily due to the number of tiles. The final result was fun to look at and analyze, but after awhile I got bored and it gathered dust. It does have some useful parts like the wonderful dark green plates and tons of white tiles.
    I was desperate to get it but had to focus the spending today on specific projects :O(