Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Next Winter Village set: 10229 Cottage

Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
edited July 2012 in Collecting
Judging from the Brickset news archive, each WV set has been announced by TLG in early August. Assuming the pattern continues, the next set should be revealed over the next fortnight.

However, we do have some information now: we know the set number; we know that it's a cottage; and courtesy of @grogall we know that it will have 1,490 pieces and retail for $99.99/€89.99 (can't find a UK figure).

I'm in two minds about the piece count - it obviously pushes up the price, forcing us to make more room than usual in our budgets for the annual WV set. Also, we're getting a cottage that has more than double the piece count of the bakery - that poses an interesting question about scale. It possibly suggests that we're going to get a decent bit of scenery beyond the cottage itself (like the pond in the Bakery, the gazebo in the Post Office, the Christmas tree in the Toy Shop). Anyone want to make predictions about what extras we're going to get? What do people think of the price? It is just shy of MMV (1,601) at the same RRP, and MMV is often cited as one of the best value sets TLG has created.

I only started collecting the WV theme this past Christmas, picking up the Toy Shop just in the nick of time, and the Bakery to go along with it. I didn't quite have the budget to stretch to the Post Office, so I'm hoping to pick that up with the Cottage this Christmas. Can't wait to see some pictures and find out more information.

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    edited July 2012
    I'm thinking it will be along the same lines of Medieval Market Village, but with open backs like the current winter series.

Just in the "nick" of time ;)
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,392
    I hope the scale remains in line with the other sets and the extra piece count is down to the extras, although there is something like breaking news here http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=72048

Toys N Bricks seem to think the offical info day from Lego will be the 4th Aug
  • The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    My guess is an additional Christmas tree. Toy Shop has the Christmas Tree, and that's an important display piece for people. That's only if they don't release Toy Shop again.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    My 'guess' is that it will include a pretty cute little snow plow.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,560
    ^ Hmm, you "guess" or perhaps you had some kind of premonition @princedraven?
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,766

My 'guess' is that it will include a pretty cute little snow plow.

Lol, you've obviously been staring at the same stars as me!? :-)
    :) I personally can't wait for this set, I love the WV sets so to have a slightly beefed up version this year is like an extra treat. Even at the increased price.
    And yes, my stars have been in perfect alignment at one point and I have to say, looks great to me :)
  • iBartiBart Member Posts: 121
    Snow plow sounds great! But due to info from Eurobicks
    - there is no hope for it this year, maybe in 2013.

They said that it will be two buildings, so if we get cottage, then probably we also will get the stand with some stuff to rent - like skis or sth.
    edited July 2012
    Or a cottage with snow plow.
    Unless the design has changed in the last few weeks.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    I think I agree with the prince...

But what's a plow? ;-)

Something that had a ski resort feel to it, IMO, would be really cool... I'd like an official WV ski slope!
  • kkskks Member Posts: 60
    This probably is what will be revealed at Brickfair on the 3rd as it has been announced there will be a set unveiling. I love this series and is no brainier buy every year.
    edited July 2012
    What's a plow???

An instrument they put on the front of trucks to push snow off the roads. They come in different shapes. Trains that go through the mountains where there is lots of snow use them to push the snow off the tracks.

Do you live in a desert? :)
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,560
    ^ Us Brits use the spelling "plough", hence luckyruss's ironic ";-)"
    Or I have misunderstood your "???"? :-)
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337

So do you see a large Cottage in our future or something along the same scale as previous sets?

Ahhhh. No, my question was not a question...just a heading.

So, he was being sarcastic :)
    It's hard to tell in text form :)

I had to explain because a lot of people keep asking when Black Friday is :)
    edited July 2012
    I was just imagining building a plow with my Legos... teehee!

But sorry, let's not get into that here.

This is a good topic, I think this is another "series" where Lego has done a really good job in appealing to both the AFOL and kids market, so I'm looking forward to the next instalment.
  • Jabba_the_TaffJabba_the_Taff Member Posts: 211
    Maybe this is when we finally get Simpsons Lego with Mr Plow! Love the winter village, building it each year with a new addition really gets me in the festive mood (though the planners are going to start taking notice soon, as the display gets too big!)
    So...how do you guys spell/say what you get when you mix flour and water :)
    I'm sorry, there must have been too much snow and this thread has been derailed :)
  • legoleppylegoleppy MarylandMember Posts: 75
    ok I might have some issues but I was reading about the new WV set last night. I thought I found some photos online somewhere and the set had 3 smaller cabins with a horse drawn buggie on sleds. I looked through all the sites this morning and couldn't find anything.

Did I just have a Lego dream?
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    Aug 4th can't get here fast enough....these days are going to go by very slough
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,766

So do you see a large Cottage in our future or something along the same scale as previous sets?

It looks more like a chalet than a cottage.
    tk79 said:

Aug 4th can't get here fast enough....these days are going to go by very slough

Ok now plough(plow) does not have the same sound as slow:)

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^lmao I like how subtle and sly british jokes & barbs can be.
  • GrogallGrogall Munich, GermanyMember Posts: 159
    maybe it will have a big tree!?
    Yeah, I like British humor ...oh excuse me humour.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Here are some notes I made of comments Senior Design Manager Simon Kent made at his recent lecture.

The Winter Village series, whilst aimed at fans, is proving popular with families to build together. So expect this series to become more oriented towards this. Simon felt this wouldn’t have much impact on the models themselves, but more in the packaging and instructions e.g. perhaps separate books for each part of the model so everyone can build concurrently.

I suppose it is possible, as these sets are doing well, that LEGO are trying out a more expensive one. I'd imagine parents would be prepared to spend more money on something that is a present for the whole family to enjoy together.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,962
    I already buy the winter sets for our family to build together.

I'm just hoping that it is better than the post office, which I didn't feel was worth the price increase over the toy shop. A 'plow' isn't all that exciting for anyone over here.
  • GrogallGrogall Munich, GermanyMember Posts: 159
    I have posted HR images of the set on Eurobricks!

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=72048&view=findpost&p=1352067

Enjoy!
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 867
    Oh my - this looks awesome! I love the "thick" snow on the roof. And the streetlight, which is phenomenal. And the interior detail.

SOLD.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Pretty
    Very nice, but $99 nice?
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    ^ I agree, this pales in comparison to the price/value of MMV, but there are a good amount of minifigs and nice detail inside of the cottage. I'll get it.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    The snow plow looks like it uses the mold from the radar dish from 10019, but in dark bley instead of light gray. Might be a good alt part for that, considering how expensive light gray is in that part.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    thornie said:

^ I agree, this pales in comparison to the price/value of MMV, but there are a good amount of minifigs and nice detail inside of the cottage. I'll get it.

It's 1500 pieces. How's that not a good value? Only ~150 pieces less than MMV, but four years later.

^ Yea, I agree, for $99 it seems like a very fair deal...

That being said, now that we've seen pictures of it, I don't think it looks as nice as WTS does... but that is just me.
    Oh look! A plow.
    I believe trans-blue is a new colour for the 1x1 round tile. Seem to be lots in various colours in this set... yay!

What piece are the kitchen taps? Friends? Not seen those before.
    Looking at the pictures again, boy is that a lot of 1x1 tiles...

So the price per part looks great, but is it really?

We really need another field added to the database here at Brickset, we need a price per gram.
    thornie said:

Yes. I would like less minifigures and more building. Maybe replace a few minifigures with a new reindeer mold.

• thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    ^ Yes, I agree. It's 1500 pieces, true, but it's a lot of tiny pieces as well. Price per gram would be great and very telling.
    BTW, I did once weight the contents of MMV and the contents of DS...

It takes almost 5 MMV to equal the weight of a single DS.

So while 4 MMV cost the same as 1 DS, and have 2,600 more parts, there is less overall plastic in 4 copies of MMV than there is in a single DS.

Just food for thought.
    I can't , I'm plastic intolerant.
  • pantboypantboy EnglandMember Posts: 211
    I can't see where they manage to get 1500 bricks into that set, it looks no bigger than the previous winter models which had 815, 697 and 822 pieces respectively, that's almost double the count!

Still looks nice though, i will definately be buying it to add to our family christmas window display.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    ^ Looks like it includes alot of very small elements. Love the design and the scale looks right for the rest of the series. Will pick it up on sale.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,962
    I'm disappointed in the price point. :-( I'm not even looking at it from a price per part standpoint, but that these sets are a great family tradition. When you start moving out of the spot the first 2 sets were at, then it moves to something that isn't quite affordable for the holidays.... not if you have multiple kids, birthdays, etc.

I am happy that they still include that high female minifig ratio. These are still one of the only lines that has such a wonderful ratio.

I will still probably get this set, but the Haunted House is now highly questionable for me. :-(
    Tammy
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716

What piece are the kitchen taps? Friends? Not seen those before.

It's this one -
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=6936&in=S
    Tammy, I love the hi part count, but I hear you... They coud have cut 200 parts out of the set without major issue and cut the price $15-20 and that would have been nice. At least tint crazy like $149. :)