Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

CMF Series 9

2»

Comments

• BlueTaylorBlueTaylor Member Posts: 51
    Exactly my point, I'm sick of seeing the same thing repeated. Like the skaters and skiers etc. and yeah I mean the historical figures, I guess each is unique but to me I guess I just chuck them all under the lable 'medieval'. I didn't mind the nurse and surgeon, or the rocker guy and rocker girl, but didn't really like the repeat of such things as the skier or skater etc. I think there's a couple of surfers too? In saying all this, I am just nit-picking as I love ALL my Minifigs like children hahaha.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Just like @BlueTaylor, I need them to go to Series 12 at least since my display case holds 6 series! =) But on an unbiased note, I also agree on not repeating similar figs simply on the basis that it is reducing the appearance of creativity to the consumer. And when it comes to a toy that is synonymous with creativity, it is unbecoming of such a company. I think it would behoove TLG not to release a single more Clown, Skater, Skier, Robot, Surfer, or Space Suit fig. They should try to bring exposure to other cultures around the world outside of Europe as well, such as a Terra Cotta Soldier or Panda Suit Fig (China), Mounty (Canada), Kangaroo Suit Fig (Australia), Rastafari (Bahamas), etc.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    Here's my problem with trying to do different cultural minifigures. Any Zulu or Aboriginal minifigure would essentially HAVE to be "colored" right? A Rastafarian minifigure would HAVE to be black right? I know we have Spanish/Mexican, Asian and Native American minifigures, but I think TLG can "blur the lines" with those. I am part Native American and I'm not offended that the skin is...well...yellow. How does everyone feel about this?
    @BlueTaylor, so you would essentially categorize the Caveman and woman as medieval? TLG has to put out a male and female of almost every character to avoid the inevitable backlash from some civil rights group I would imagine. "Why is there just a male surgeon and not a female surgeon?" And so on. I think we all agree that there aren't enough female minifigures in the LEGO world.
    edited July 2012
    ^Agree on the need for more female figs and exceptions should be made for their inclusion as counterparts. I definitely feel that TLG needs to expand their color palette for the figs in licensed sets. (For unlicensed the all yellow route is fine as all are equal). The only examples we've had of a black or african-american fig was in PotC Cannibal Escape and the NBA series. So I do have a problem with their only depiction of such as face painted aboriginal cannibalistic savages that are chasing the 'white man'.

Ideology aside, I need more variety in fig heads to make more realistic populations of citizens =)
    Well, I think the first African American minifigure was Lando in the Cloud City set. In my opinion, I think that TLG should finally ditch the yellow minifigures and do the same coloring of the skin that they do with the licenced themes.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,929
    edited July 2012

The only examples we've had of a black or african-american fig was in PotC Cannibal Escape and the NBA series. So I do have a problem with their only depiction of such as face painted aboriginal cannibalistic savages that are chasing the 'white man'.

You forgot ...
    I beat you to it CCC...LOL
    Ah thanks for the reminder @Pitfall69 and @CCC . Lando was indeed the first black president minifig. When he was released, was there any negative perceptions or backlash? Were there any others that came after him? I find it a shame that this question is hard to answer. In fact, even asians and native american indians are more represented throughout sets. Lego and Disney both need to work on this aspect of their offerings, if not only to reduce the glaring lack of their presence.
    I think the difference is that Lando was part of a licenced theme and you just can't insert random skin colors that had no part in the film.
    Pitfall69 said:

"Why is there just a male surgeon and not a female surgeon?"

It's the other way around, the surgeon is female.
    I know that. What my point was is if it were that way someone would complain.
    ...I'm typing on my phone between sets :)
    @Pitfall69 No no, I don't categorise the cave people as medieval, I'm more talking about all the warriors, I do understand they have some differences being spartan or Aztec or whatever. Actually now that we're discussing it I'm starting to actually like the warriors. I'm sure if I did my research I'd find they do all come from different times/areas etc.

As for the skin, I think Licensed should be normal colours and Lego-created should STAY yellow forever. You can kind of tell when someone might be black or Asian or whatever, the Afro disco guy etc.

And it's not really Legos fault that they are mainly white Minifigs in their licensed sets, that comes down to the movies and their casting directors/writers. As a female I would liked to have seen a girl in LotR but I agree it would have just been to please the girls if they had have put Eowyn in and not because it was necessary, in which case I am happy with the characters they chose to show.

I always thought the surgeon was a boy and the nurse was a girl (the stereotypes haha) I know the nurse is a girl but I'll have to take a closer look at the surgeon now. Oh! Also! I'm hoping they make a groom to go with the bride, or should their be another bride to represent the gay community? Haha!
    Lol. Well...you never know about that one.
    Yes I would like a groom with a gray suit with tails maybe and a gray top hat and a cane.
    If you want a groom, then the upcoming business man torso with the magicians top hat would be good. And solely from CMF parts. No doubt there will be complaints if they released one like that.
    ^Yes tails would be nice on a tux. Perhaps a cumberbun in powder blue while we're at it =)

^^^I thought the disco guy was white this whole time and modeled after John Travolta from Saturday Night Fever lol. But that he did have an awesome afro, just really liked the texture of it.
    I think one will always find a reason to complain about something :)

@BlueTaylor, To be honest, I would love if there were more female warriors. I know there are not a lot of females with large roles in LOTR, but again like we agree, it us not TLG's fault.

I absolutely love the Underworld movies and I'm in "love" with Kate Beckinsale. I would love a "Death Dealer" minifigure :) I guess I just love women that can kick ass ;) So, I like the Lady Viking they just released and would love more like that.

^Yes tails would be nice on a tux. Perhaps a cumberbun in powder blue while we're at it =)

^^^I thought the disco guy was white this whole time and modeled after John Travolta from Saturday Night Fever lol. But that he did have an awesome afro, just really liked the texture of it.

Yes, I thought he was "white" too.

@BrickDancer, Yes, that is what I was envisioning. Gray tux with tails and a cumbetbun of some type/color. All grooms/waiters all seem to have the same black tux.
    edited July 2012
    ^^Hahaha that looks like Disco Guy with S1 Magician's Head and S8 Footballer torso but in red lol.
    @BrickDancer It's John Riggins. He's a Hall of Fame NFL running back. Played in the 70's and 80's. He even sported a Mohawk in his day. I'm part Mohawk and I would love a classic Mohawk minifigure.
    Pitfall69 said:

I guess I just love women that can kick ass ;) So, I like the Lady Viking they just released and would love more like that.

She cannot kick ass, of course. Not with a slope instead of legs.
    Lol. This is true.
    Ha, funny our different perceptions of the figs as I always thought the disco guy was black! Hehe!
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    ^

You're kidding right? I thought it was Juan Epstein from Welcome Back Kotter ;-)
    Ha.
    I'm fairly sure mine is yellow! Isn't that the point of the colour choice - it is what you want it to be.
    Yes