Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

CMF Series 9

pstrickler27pstrickler27 Member Posts: 71
edited July 2012 in Collecting
So here we go!!!!!! - now that we know what Series 8 has to offer - it is time to start speculating again!!! I correctly guessed 4 figures in series 8 - let us hear how you did and give us your new wish list and expectations

Series 9 List
Old fashioned Mountain Climber (spike shoes - walking stick - backpack - lederhosen - hat with feather)
Protestor (picket sign - angry face - bull horn)
Golfer (golf bag - 3 clubs - tee with ball)
Cow suit guy (pretty much explains itself)
Swamp creature (I have a feeling Lego is going to sneak another another MF character in the CMF series :( )
Napoleon (short legs - big hat - and big sword)
Female robot (I don't want this one - but it is only a matter of time)
70s Basketball player (long legs - afro - and a basketball!!!!! please!)
Greek philosopher (scroll - toga - long white beard)
Marching band drummer (with snare or bass drum that is worn around the neck, two drum sticks or beaters)
Boy scout or girl scout (I think girl scout would be cute with cookies or something)
Horse jockey (with whip and short legs - checkered clothes - checkered hat - goggles)
Roller Derby Girl (with roller skates)
Male lifeguard (this one is just filler - don't really want him)
Judge (with gavel and sweet curly wig)
Singer/songwriter (acoustic guitar - I would really like an official acoustic guitar)

Alright those are my predictions - I've included ones that I don't necessarily want - but just expect - please share with us your hopes/dreams/expectations - and let us know if you guessed any correctly for series 8

Happy speculating!!!

Comments

• AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    I'd like to see a set that is all international costumes, ie. the Bavarian Maid, A dancer in full spanish skirts, a bull fighter, etc. But with Monster Fighters out how fun would it be to have a whole set of minifigs in halloween masks!
  • pstrickler27pstrickler27 Member Posts: 71
    @AFFOL_Shellz_Bellz - I could see a trick-or-treater in a future CMF Series - I also like your other ideas
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    I would like to see a longer break between series...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,822
    I'd like to see a set that is all international costumes, ie. the Bavarian Maid, A dancer in full spanish skirts, a bull fighter, etc. But with Monster Fighters out how fun would it be to have a whole set of minifigs in halloween masks!
    I doubt all three.

Bavarian Maid = rehash of S8 with a female head.
    A dancer in full spanish skirts = an exact copy of the Flamenco dancer in S6.
    Bull fighter = animal cruelty.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    I would like to see a longer break between series...
    Agreed. It's offically a little over 2 years since the series was released and we've had 7 come and go plus the gb side series PLUS now officaly word on series 8 AND a person on EB found them already in stores overseas. The year alone is really excessive. There was series 6 in Janurary, 7 in apri, the GB during the summer for the UK and now 8 which a few people have ALREADY found.

I'm burnt out on them. I collected a small handful from each series(series 6 only was about 4, series 7 was 3, and IF i do #8 it might be about 2) and i don't get how people can keep going and going over these things.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    Hooter's waitress?
  • kempo81kempo81 Wiltshire, UKMember Posts: 961
    Hooter's waitress?
    LOL

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    There are many people who roll their eyes at Lego fanatics. Those people think we are insane for spending the money we do on a "toy".
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Who cares? I think my adult children are a bit insane for spending big bucks on concert tickets to hear music that is so loud you can't understand the lyrics to. I love them anyway. To each their own!

I haven't bought many of the collectible minifigs, just a few that I really like. But I have no issue with those who do. I feel for the wallet of those who collect both the CMF's and other Lego sets as well!
    That was my point. Who cares? I certainly don't. I'm going to collect my minifigures and anticipate each new series and if people don't care for them, they don't have to bother with them.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    When people come to our home and see all the CMFs, etc. on the refrigerator, shelves, etc., they are very interested and typically run straight to TRU to pick some up for themselves.

I feel like we are personally responsible for a lot of lego sales and new fanatics. ;-)
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    edited July 2012
    Just a thought: has there been any indication that there will actually be a series 9? I fully expect there will be, given the success of the minifigures line, but I just think this thread is a little premature since there hasn't been an official announcement yet. Not to be pedantic or whatever, I do think there should be a speculation thread on the next series, but actually calling this thread "CMF Series 9" seems a bit misleading, and bound to lead to disappointment if/when hopes and expectations aren't met. ;)
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    I think it will end in 10, seems a nice even number
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    ^^Funny that you would mention that. I know it's a coincidence, but the other day I thought that the "9 to collect" on the Olympic Minifigure bag almost looks like "series 9", in a circle and all.
    From what I've seen they sell well. Pocket money sets to get kids interested. Why stop producing them?
    Yup
  • iBartiBart Member Posts: 121
    CMF S9 - 8909 - already in stores - Olympic Minifigures exclusive for the UK.

So speculate about S10. :P
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 579
    Why would S9 be exclusive to the UK? Unless...!
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Do any Lego Castle or Kingdoms sets have a Bard? With a mandolin?

How about a Barbarian like Conan?
    edited July 2012
    No Olympic Minifigures are NOT series 9. The Olympic Minifigures are a special edition and have nothing to do with the regular production series.
  • iBartiBart Member Posts: 121
    edited July 2012
    Well if you say so...
    But every series has an item number ended with series number.
    Olympic mnifigs: 890(9).

Next minifigs we will have in december (I guess) so we will see,
    but maybe you're right. :)

All in all nowhere on the box/bags we can find the series number...
    Ok, seriously: Is there any reason to believe that series 9 will be made? Series 8 might well be the end of it.

Please don't just write "They sell well, why stop now". I have never heard an official statement that CMFs didn't sell well, but since Series 3, I have seen larger quantities of any series on sale somewhere, e.g. Series 4 and 5 at [email protected] right now.
    Shall we also assume that Star Wars are going to stop after current models? I have seen large quantities of battle packs on discount sale in the UK.

You are right that there are large quantities of S4 onwards available in some places. Maybe S1 was an experiment, so a small run, with later series being produced in larger numbers.
    @CCC Conjecture. Has there been an official statement saying that CMF still sell well, or that there will be a series 9? Maybe there has. That's what I am wondering about.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,489
    edited July 2012
    mressin said:

@CCC Conjecture. Has there been an official statement saying that CMF still sell well, or that there will be a series 9? Maybe there has. That's what I am wondering about.

There was a quote a while back stating that they had design work on the go for a number or future series. Can't remember whether that extended to 8 or 9 though.

edit: found it:
    "And yes the designs are well underway! We are currently working on Series 6, 7 and 8 and all characters are locked on those collections. Series 6 is completed from a design perspective and we are cracking on the elements and decos for Series 7 as we speak. So to illustrate how far ahead we are, we are working on Series 7 as Series 3 is just hitting retail shelves (January 2011)..."
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,489
    edited July 2012
    (Looks like I timed out of my 'edit window')

So they could currently be working on series 11 (with series 7 recently released, and assuming they have remained 4 series ahead). But until we get another confirmation like this, then it's all conjecture.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Was LEGO first on the scene with this concept? Because I am seeing lots of other toy companies do the same thing, notably Playmobil. For the toy industry, this could represent a subset of the market - a whole different product line. Something that you don't just throw away quickly.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,292
    ^ I don't think so, in terms of a toy collectible where you-don't-know-what-you-get-until-you-open-the-package type thing... I collect Tokidoki items and they had a collab with Kid Robot, who produced little bears with different designs on them (Tokidoki was one of the designs), and then Tokidoki went on to produce it's own line of little vinyl toys and zipper pulls all in "blind boxes". They were out long before the Lego ones. And I sometimes buy video game related ones too, like Professor Layton has a line, etc.

Actually, I guess I have lots of blind box toys, although many of them seem to be from Japan or China originally.
  • pstrickler27pstrickler27 Member Posts: 71
    @brickupdate - I've noticed that Playmobil has copied LEGO but there have definitely been mystery bags since I was a kid (late 80s early 90s)

As far as a series 9 goes - GB Figs are not series 9!!! I believe that LEGO will stop running the CMF series when they truly run out of ideas (they are getting close) - it has only been two years - give it another year and we'll see what LEGO offers - I agree with @andhe - I believe series 11 is already being designed - and that might be the final series - I also agree with @CCC - it seems like good business right now - I always see kids buying them at the LEGO store and TRU - and they are always difficult to find (at least in my area) - I really like the blind box model for collectability and I also like that you can cheat the system by feeling up the bags - in my mind - they strike the perfect balance between fun and collectability - I hope they go til series 20

Final comment: let's stop worrying about whether or not they will be made - and just enjoy speculating and sharing ideas
    Yes :)
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529

Series 9 List
    Old fashioned Mountain Climber (spike shoes - walking stick - backpack - lederhosen - hat with feather)
    Protestor (picket sign - angry face - bull horn)
    Golfer (golf bag - 3 clubs - tee with ball)
    Cow suit guy (pretty much explains itself)
    Swamp creature (I have a feeling Lego is going to sneak another another MF character in the CMF series :( )
    Napoleon (short legs - big hat - and big sword)
    Female robot (I don't want this one - but it is only a matter of time)
    70s Basketball player (long legs - afro - and a basketball!!!!! please!)
    Greek philosopher (scroll - toga - long white beard)
    Marching band drummer (with snare or bass drum that is worn around the neck, two drum sticks or beaters)
    Boy scout or girl scout (I think girl scout would be cute with cookies or something)
    Horse jockey (with whip and short legs - checkered clothes - checkered hat - goggles)
    Roller Derby Girl (with roller skates)
    Male lifeguard (this one is just filler - don't really want him)
    Judge (with gavel and sweet curly wig)
    Singer/songwriter (acoustic guitar - I would really like an official acoustic guitar)

Alright those are my predictions - I've included ones that I don't necessarily want - but just expect - please share with us your hopes/dreams/expectations - and let us know if you guessed any correctly for series 8

Happy speculating!!!

Some nice predictions! I can definitely see some of these finding there way into the CMF line. Although the 'Protester' should come with a rat and a syringe element along with the picket sign and bull horn like you said...;)
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    edited July 2012
    legoDad said:

Although the 'Protester' should come with a rat and a syringe element along with the picket sign and bull horn like you said...;)

Why?
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    mressin said:

To my knowledge, no on both. there's been UNofficial rumors on that there's at least 4 more series planned(not sure if series 8 is included in the number or not) that have been popping up from time to time lately.

And honestly, i don't think CMF's are doing all that well. They aren't really selling in stores around here or they aren't stocked at all and when i went to the lego store one of the last times, those things were getting IGNORED. And i'm talking about even with there being tons of people there, i was the only one going for a figure i was after.

And at this point, it seems like that 99% of the buyers are either people that know these are money makers for their online store(BL, eBay, amazon, etc) or people that have been with the series since the beginning or near beginning(series 3 or earlier).
    edited July 2012

legoDad said:

Although the 'Protester' should come with a rat and a syringe element along with the picket sign and bull horn like you said...;)

Why?
    Reminded me of the Occupy protesters in NYC.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    So the predominant cultural reference that comes to mind when presented a generic description of a modern protester is the right-wing negative characterization of OWS? That seems so narrow minded. Peaceful protests were the hallmark of the civil rights movement. And these days lots of interest groups protest, including conservative ones. The pro-life movement has a protest march every year and protests are a key strategy of the tea party. Not to mention that protests are not limited to the United States.

Not sure what drives you to view protesting in a negative light when it is such a fundamental aspect of democracy.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    edited July 2012

Not sure what drives you to view protesting in a negative light when it is such a fundamental aspect of democracy.

Democracy and American conservatism aren't exactly compatible concepts. Throughout the nation's history, American conservatives have only supported democracy when it worked in their favor and thrown vitriolic hissy-fits when it doesn't (See: Civil War). Present-day conservatives in the U.S. would be better said to support plutocracy (the wealthy and the greedy who foolishly believe they'll one day be wealthy) or theocracy (the religious nuts).

The former were offended by the Occupy Movement because it protested the greed and plutocratic influence which those conservatives have so enshrined in their ideology.

Perhaps legodad falls into this group. Perhaps he just isn't very well-versed in the American political landscape. Only he can say for certain why he feels that way. Regardless, right-wing ideology and democracy are pretty incompatible when you try to combine them.

P.S. One should also note that American conservatives are far more to the right than conservatives in other parts of the world. Some American liberals are further to the right than European conservatives.
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 282
    Some Occupy Movement camp sites were known for being filthy and having rampant drug use.
    ^You mean, like... Wall Street?
    edited July 2012
    ^Exactly. The ones in New York had some women abused as well. Just an observation since I live in New York and seen the filth at Zucotti....but still love the suggestion of the potential CMF's of the original poster.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Plenty of drug use going on in the buildings on Wall Street (to say nothing of abused women). Most of the instances of problems were nearby, not a result of the protesters so much as people taking advantage of the cover. Plus, whether the Occupy camps were there or not, the rats had to come from somewhere nearby meaning associating them is ignoring their pre-existing presence.

Any way you look at it, it's an unfair association.
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    To get back on topic, I would love if one of the future series featured another baseball player but for another team/colors. This time the minifigure accessory could be a baseball glove. OYO a small new competing company from the states is already doing it with their Major League Baseball figures
    Forgot to add the link for an example OYO Padres Player
    Ok guys. I'm the one that's supposed to get people all riled up. It is my job...thank you very much :)

Believe me I would love to delve into politics and history (my major in college...then changed to engineering), but I promised the moderators that I wouldn't :)

I will say that we already got a minifigure close to a "protester"...the Hippie :)

To get back on topic, I would love if one of the future series featured another baseball player but for another team/colors. This time the minifigure accessory could be a baseball glove. OYO a small new competing company from the states is already doing it with their Major League Baseball figures

Yes, more sports players in different colors and equipment. A baseball catcher and a hockey goalie would be great.

Pitfall69 said:

Yes, more sports players in different colors and equipment. A baseball catcher and a hockey goalie would be great.

I really like @sidersdd solution to the chest protector for a catcher. Catcher's Chest Protector

This is personally my favorite rendition of a catchers helmet. Catcher's Helmet

As far as gloves go, I've been using studs in different shades of brown and black. Similar to my avatar. My avatar guy, the white stud is a ball in my mind.

Pitfall69 said:

I really like @sidersdd solution to the chest protector for a catcher. Catcher's Chest Protector

This is personally my favorite rendition of a catchers helmet. Catcher's Helmet

As far as gloves go, I've been using studs in different shades of brown and black. Similar to my avatar. My avatar guy, the white stud is a ball in my mind.
    That's awesome :)

• BlueTaylorBlueTaylor Member Posts: 51
    I think that's an awesome idea! I'd love to see an entire set with people from all over the world! Barbie has done that recently and it looks really cool! :D
    That was my point. Who cares? I certainly don't. I'm going to collect my minifigures and anticipate each new series and if people don't care for them, they don't have to bother with them.
    I can see how it would be frustrating for those people who haven't collected the entire series as it might feel like they can't keep up because they are released so often. I personally love it, the sooner the better for each series. I'm up-to-date with all of mine and literally cannot wait for Series 8,9,10 and on!

Mine are displayed in frames that hole four series each, so they better at least get to series 12 or I'll have to re-do my display!!! D:
  • BlueTaylorBlueTaylor Member Posts: 51
    Pitfall69 said:

It is difficult with Minifigs because you have to try to please a wide variety of people, well, people from literally every corner of the globe! Personally I couldn't care less for the baseball players, I've never seen a game in my life and it's not played in my country so most people here wouldn't like that minifigure. I don't want to see a repeat over and over and over. I think when a minifig is done, that should be it and they should move onto another thing. I didn't like the robot being re-done and same with the medieval figs that feature in every single series (and don't get me wrong, I love medieval stuff!) I absolutely love Minfigures and will continue to collect them all no matter what they are, I just think Lego could be a bit more creative and stop re-using the same ideas. Sure, have a sports person in each but make them something that's never been done before, it seems pretty simple to me!!!
    edited July 2012

I didn't like the robot being re-done and same with the medieval figs that feature in every single series (and don't get me wrong, I love medieval stuff!)

Which medieval figs have been repeated though? We have the upcoming Elizabethan / ancient actor, the conquistor, the Aztec, the highlander, evil knight and the viking. Or by medieval, do you mean historical, and so include the Roman, Spartan, etc? I like the historical ones and they differ enough to make them unique. You could equally well say the same for modern (present day) figures and future figures. They have a range of current days figures, and there the similarity is much more apparent. Skater, another skater. Skier, another skier. Nurse, surgeon... etc.
    ^Yes, I think she means historical minifigures.

I know Lego has to please people from all over the globe, but how many skiers and skaters do you need?