Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Olympic Minifigures: Team GB

Comments

• tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
    ^ Tesco and John Lewis have the lowest prices. Unless you do some voucher magic at WHSmith's.
  • ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    @malachirobertson Tesco would be a nice store to go into and get a few as it has more branches than John Lewis.

WHSmith is more expensive (not if you use the vouchers etc)
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Argos is another option if you happen to see one and have plenty of time to spare. A trip there also makes a great "Gee England is weird" story, as Argos is the most complicated shopping experience ever.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,317
    ^ And probably the most soul destroying. Or is that Tesco? Or WHS?
  • voyanui12voyanui12 Member Posts: 15
    ^ And probably the most soul destroying. Or is that Tesco? Or WHS?
    Tesco is soul destroying if you order online, WHS is soul destroying if you look at their price tags (£39.99 for #9442 Jay's Storm Fighter anyone?!)
    John Lewis on the other hand, that represents a real British store!
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    ^ Agreed on all fronts. John Lewis is indeed quintessentially British, at its best. Argos is also quintessentially British, at its most curious. Simply walk right in, thumb through a catalogue the size of a tree, locate the number next to the picture of what you want, find that number at the bottom of the page and write down the seven digit number next to that, type it into a machine to check stock, walk to another machine and type it in again and pay, read the number on the receipt and wait for the estimated number of minutes for it to be called so you can collect the item from the designated collection point (marked with a letter - not a number! hurrah).

Yet I think we'd all really miss the Argos experience if it folded.
  • pantboypantboy EnglandMember Posts: 211
    ^ The laminated book of dreams must never die, maybe it should be promoted as a tourist attraction.

Back on topic, i picked up a few more Team GB figure today and completed a set, did a little jig (in the privacy of my own home ;-) ) in celebration.

I also managed to complete my first set today. I had to open 29 packs before I completed my first set! At 32 I completed my second.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,710
    edited July 2012
    Edit.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,305
    I have yet to find any Olympic minfigs at Tescos, but I'm hoping to get into town tomorrow and check out the JL. So far I've just ordered some through [email protected] purchases, but want a couple sets to send home too so if I keep that up it'll get expensive real fast!
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,446
    edited July 2012
    I also managed to complete my first set today. I had to open 29 packs before I completed my first set! At 32 I completed my second.
    Wow, I hope you can trade some of those.

Wow, I hope you can trade some of those.

It's not as bad as it sounds. I only need a few more, and I have four comlpete sets. It was just one elusive figure for me that I needed.
  • PohmPohm Member Posts: 17
    Got my first five today thanks to family in England - not sure what my mum's technique is but 5 bags and 5 different figures. I really like them.
    ^Very good. I had someone grab me a box the other day. They are bringing back to the States with them.
    There was mention of why someone other than Great Britain would want Team GB. I collect Minifigures, so naturally I would want them. They are great figures. The only thing that is odd about them is that they are wearing gold medals. Honestly? Team GB? J/k. Lol.
    The only thing that is odd about them is that they are wearing gold medals. Honestly?
    It seems perfectly normal to me. East London is full of thieves, and most of them wear cheap sportswear from Sports Direct and JJB. :-)
    CCC your comment was number 666.
  • epicurestepicurest Member Posts: 5
    Is there anybody who can compare 'series 6 CMF' Sleepyhead and 'Team GB' Relay Runner? I'm just wondering if the colors of hair piece are different.
    ^ Different. Reddish brown vs dark brown.
    ^^sleepyhead being reddish brown.

Great to have the ponytail piece in blonde and black also.

Can anybody confirm if the riders hat is an existing or future friends piece? Interesting to see this cross pollenation.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited July 2012
    @andhe

When i first saw and handled the riders's (rubbery) hat, the first thing i thought was 'this is a friends piece'. ( http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=3186-1 emma's horse trailer). It doesn't look too bad, but it isn't great either. The proportions of it just feel slightly off, and the hair doesn't quite match the crispness of ABS hair pieces, plus the paintwork of the black part is a bit sloppy, and bleeds onto the ponytail at the back. But I suppose at such short notice to produce these, LEGO couldn't do anything new in abs.

I certainly don't want rubber hair pieces spoiling lovely ABS lego minifigs in future.

edited July 2012
    ...But on a positive note. Completed my set yesterday. Wohoo!

The set might have been improved with some obvious tweaks... such as a few bricks added to make a simple diving board for the swimmer, the weightlifter's bar is the wrong (short) size for him to grip with both hands (again!), tssk... given team GB is forming a football team for the first time, a GB footballer (Beckham lookalikey) would have been nice.

There should also have been a rower (with oars), cyclist (can't fit a bicycle, but it's still a very unique kit). Possibly a fencer (using a ninjago 'kendo' mask perhaps, and the musketeer sword).

It would be cool if LEGO released a special set to fill these gaps, like the beach party set, which could include a bicycle, rowboat, medal ceremony platform.

Oh yes, they could have included some flowers, too. You always get presented with flowers.

That's my twopence worth. Nice set though.
    given team GB is forming a football team for the first time, a GB footballer (Beckham lookalikey) would have been nice.
    ^ He's not in the team.
    edited July 2012
    ^We have a team, which was the point. I know he's been dropped, that's why it'd be nice to have lego lookalikey version (but it's just a footballer, and not necessarily him though is it?) Besides, these minifigs are hardly an accurate reflection of team GB.
    edited July 2012
    The editing timer left my reply looking a bit garbled. Meant to say:

The fig would just be a team GB footballer minifig, but would make sense to perhaps have a passing resemblance to beckham (in the same way that the regular series football fig looked a bit like lionel messi), as becks is the most recognisible footballer/sports person on the planet (and lego looks to be his only way of representing his nation). But i don't want to get into that whole argument, the GB FA's don't give a fig about olympics, yet now it matters so much that they won't pick the one footballer who helped bring the flippin' games here... (if becks was welsh, he'd be a shoe-in) :o/
    I'd have like to have seen at least some effort towards including a paralympian eg wheelchair basketball.
    edited July 2012
    slightly off topic, i know, but just saying: what i really don't like is how the paralympics is separated from the 'proper' olympics... i mean, they even have the closing ceremony before the paralympics begins. I don't see why they aren't combined into one big olympic games. It sends out the wrong message to have them tagging along behind, by themselves.
  • MinifiguresPlusMinifiguresPlus Member Posts: 205
    Want t
    OFFER: 150 euros per box
    @MinifiguresPlus: You have them available or you want them?
    Want them. Sorry for the confusion.

The set might have been improved with some obvious tweaks... the weightlifter's bar is the wrong (short) size for him to grip with both hands (again!)
    And Lego lie about this in their promotional pictures.

I can understand why they stylise their pictures to make them look nice, but changing parts is plain wrong. They could have easily replaced the short bar with a longer bar so he could hold it properly.

^Awesome!!!

Can't wait to get my set :)

Do you think Lego will do a set for the Winter Olympic Games? It's really hard to tell if Team GB was a huge success.
    A they've only been officially out for less than two weeks it's hard to say whether they've been a success or not QUITE yet... :P

They seem to be popular amongst AFOLs (at first glance I wasn't bothered, but have almost collected them all now...) but guess it takes a bit longer to judge wider public opinion, and especially until the Olympic fever actually starts... (in 2 weeks?).
    I reckon they will peak in value during the olympics on ebay, then slowly decrease.

I wasn't going to go for them, but got three sets. I will keep two and sell one and my extra spares.
    Im still looking to complete my second set. Got my WHSmith giftcard ready, just havent been to the store again yet.
    Yeah, I guess it is still too early to tell.
  • Sabreman64Sabreman64 Member Posts: 10
    Hmm. I've bought 16 packs. I'm three minifigs short of my first set, and I've got three swimmers, four weightlifters and five judo fighters. I'm really not sure I fancy splashing out more money on maybe a dozen or so more packs on the off-chance that I'll get the three figures I want. I'd also have a pile of minifigs to get rid of via Bricklink or somewhere. I think I'll just buy the three minifigs on Bricklink and pay the quid or so extra each required by the sellers.
  • Sabreman64Sabreman64 Member Posts: 10
    Incidentally, I think the Olympic minifigs need a bit of updating in the Brickset database. Although I've added the minifigs I own to the sets I own, the minifigs themselves don't show up in my minifig collection.
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    Got my first 9 team gb figures yesterday from [email protected], I think I did pretty well getting 6 different ones, with 2 extra swimmers and an extra equestrian. Just need the judo lady, gymnast, and boxer.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    ^^ Have you remembered to 'Update your minifigure collection'?
    ^Same problem for me too, it doesn't update.

The drop down menu doesn't have the TEAM GB to select to view, I clicked all, and it doesn't show it under the "2012" section too. (I have less than 500 figs on my list.)

Hmm. I've bought 16 packs. I'm three minifigs short of my first set, and I've got three swimmers, four weightlifters and five judo fighters. I'm really not sure I fancy splashing out more money on maybe a dozen or so more packs on the off-chance that I'll get the three figures I want. I'd also have a pile of minifigs to get rid of via Bricklink or somewhere. I think I'll just buy the three minifigs on Bricklink and pay the quid or so extra each required by the sellers.
    If you check marketplace and number of people do swaps for these.
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    If anyone is interested I am giving away a full set of team GB minifigs in this months competition on my site: http://brickfanatics.co.uk/july-competition-team-gb-giveaway/

and it is open to anyone worldwide.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    ^ I'm entering! ;-)
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,305
    ^ me too! LOL
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,620
    I switched out the white weightlifter bars for light grey bars from the side of the Police Command Lorry 7288.
    The white bars match the lorry and the grey bars are just long enough for the weight lifter to hold them two handed. They also appear to be metal. :)

The other obvious problem with the Team GB relay runner is that the baton is too long. It should have been about half the length it is.
    Well I guess we can't have perfect Lego design. :)
    You can use 4L bars for the Weightlifter's bar, Ive ordered one from BrickLink alongside with my bricks and see how it goes.
    edited July 2012
    Are there any 4L bars in white that feature in particular Lego sets? I just can't think of any off hand, but I might dig it out if they do exist in a set, just so the weightlifter can hold it like a barbell. :)
    edited July 2012
    Nice one, thanks @LegobrandonCP, I have a few of those sets so I must swap the bar, I'd use a black one but I'd prefer to keep it within the same GB colour scheme, and that link will do nicely for sourcing alternative parts. :)
    So here we are, the 4L bar weightlifter in my IKEA Ribba Frame!
    It cant be placed on the end because the weight is too long so have to move it to the middle.!
    ^Looks great! And I like the use of backing paper as well. Have you needed to adapt the frame? I looked at the ribba frames in IKEA but they didn't seem as deep as you have here?