Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Olympic Minifigures: Team GB

Comments

• bricknationbricknation Member Posts: 713
    @chanboy I've seen them do it in Liverpool store some time ago - one of the staff was "feeling" minifigs and putting them in one of many little bags hanging inside one of cupboards behind the counter.
  • ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    ^They are getting paid to do that and play with Lego all the time =/

I do that but I have to pay Lego back for the stuff! =/
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,829
    If TLG staff are doing this, I wonder why it is they use opaque packaging or why other stores such as TRU or Argos for example frown upon it. I'm surprised of TLG.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    But isn't it the blind packaging that is making them money? People who suck at feeling the packs buy multiples to get the ones they want which equals revenue. Not saying helping customers is a bad thing.
    I reckon its just the staff at the store has nothing else to do and doing that for other people. And using opaque packaging will definitely bring them to a higher profit because people are buying more to complete a set.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,829
    Absolutely the blind packaging is what is bringing them a higher profit. That's why I'm surprised TLG staff aren't prohibited from bagging up complete sets and putting them aside for selling as a whole.

Likewise, I don't think bad of the staff for doing it, just surprised.
  • BadzMaruBadzMaru Member Posts: 19
    @mayberts you can buy the wooden strips from B&Q which fit perfectly in the Ribba cases, just needs to be cut to right length... :)
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,565
    Don't buy them full price at WHsmiths.
    Use a 25% off Greeting Cards voucher to get a card for £1.41 Purchase a £15 gift card at the same time for £10.
    So that's £11.41 so far. (Or a £3.59 saving off something when you spend that £15 gift card.)

Now buy seven figures = £17.43
    Use £5 off a £15 spend voucher = £12.43 (They are handing out these vouchers when you buy the Greetings card.)
    Now use your £15 gift card to pay for the 7 figures.
    Leaving £2.51 on your gift card. (Five of these add up to get 7 more figures.)

Do this 5 times you pay £57.05 for 5 Gift cards worth £75 and using 6 vouchers for £30 off you have £105 to spend.
    So you got 42 figures for £57.05, with a bit left on one of your gift cards.

Which is about £1.36 per figure.
  • TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    ^ wow great maths :)
  • trax_3trax_3 Member Posts: 64
    Have just been to the tesco osterley to pick up a box. They have 2 and a half boxes out on the shop floor.
    I have also produced a dots and feel guide to the figures.
    http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/373/seriesteamgbbumps.png
    The dots do move slightly depending on how the packaging was positioned on the production line but the configuration of dots stays the same..... unless one has been cut off the packet. :)
    I would Feel first then use the dots to confirm ? :)
  • fy222fy222 Member Posts: 181
    ^that is great effort, very helpful, thanks!
  • DrLegOBrickDrLegOBrick UKMember Posts: 68
    Went to WHS in Sutton Colfield, they had the banner up in the window for them but no Minifigures. Be warned. Later that day in got the last few in Erdington, got 4 swimmmers, 2 archers, and all the figures in the series bar two.
    Just been to Trafford Center (Manchester) and they have about 20 Boxes of olympic figs, then John Lewis has about 20 figs left.
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    I went back to Smyths and someone have bought their entire stock of them, all 10 boxes....
  • dfurndfurn Member Posts: 194
    edited July 2012
    Picked up a box from JL Milton Keynes this evening (just after 5pm). No problems. £117.00 (60x£1.95 a fig)
    Just to confirm is this the box you picked up? See attachment. So there's 60 in there? I have to say the box itself is very nice with a London 2012 official product hologram on the back (quite small though). I guess there's no point getting a box and not opening it.

• paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,966
    I guess there's no point getting a box and not opening it.
    I dunno - I imagine an unopened box would be pretty rare in several years' time.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    The box is beautiful.
    edited July 2012
    I guess there's no point getting a box and not opening it.
    I dunno - I imagine an unopened box would be pretty rare in several years' time.
    Hmmm yes that's a point; except how would you know what was in it? The box only had tape holding it closed and I'm not sure if it's fancy security type tape or not.
    I really can't see the point of buying a box and not opening it and the figures inside.
    Unless you plan to resell it?

But maybe some other people are that ... different. :)
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    Went to WHS in Sutton Colfield, they had the banner up in the window for them but no Minifigures. Be warned. Later that day in got the last few in Erdington, got 4 swimmmers, 2 archers, and all the figures in the series bar two.
    What was the banner like? Was it
    140-142 Gracechurch Shopping Centre
    The Parade, Sutton Coldfield
    0121 355 1994
    or
    Rectory Road
    Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham
    0121 378 1197
    ?
  • DrLegOBrickDrLegOBrick UKMember Posts: 68
    edited July 2012
    @Matthew, The Parade. The banner was as large as the window, on the right hand side entrance saying "The games are here" or something like that. The guy behind the counter said they had none, as I told him what they where doing was misadvertising (witch is against the law) with a banner that size basicaly saying they had them. And, like all WHS, they had the worst prices I have seen in my life. Buzz's Star command Space ship at £33.99?!?! Off topic, the Entertainer in Sutton had an entire box full of Series 4, witch was suprising. I stood there for 15 minutes trying to find three Musketeers...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,653
    I really can't see the point of buying a box and not opening it and the figures inside.
    Unless you plan to resell it?
    Surely that is true of any set. Some people want to know they have a new sealed set, in the best possible condition.
    I'm wondering can WhSmith allow to give / sell the massive promotional large size packet of the mini fig..? It seems to be nice to hang it on your own wall with a massive packet.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    Just to confirm is this the box you picked up?
    Yes. Just like the photo.
  • RainbowConnectionRainbowConnection Member Posts: 58
    edited July 2012
    I'm wondering can WhSmith allow to give / sell the massive promotional large size packet of the mini fig..? It seems to be nice to hang it on your own wall with a massive packet.
    Why don't you ask them? When The Simpsons Movie came out Smiths and other stores had standing cardboard cutouts of spider pig and my mum asked for the slightly damaged one from the store and I found it under the tree Christmas morning!

Back on topic, they had the GB minifigures at the Westfield Lego store on Friday and sold out while I was there! The only figure I couldn't find was the boxer and popped into WHS in The Plaza, Oxford Street on the way to the theatre to find half a box by the self-service check-outs, grabbed a few to bag-feel (had to go up to the check-outs and walk back out..) and the first one was a boxer. Set complete!
  • muffenmanmuffenman Member Posts: 75
    Was looking for two sets so thought id go for buying 30 bags thought that was a safe bet and did not get one Show Jumper!! Got 5 relay Runners and 5 Archers!! :(
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,653
    Well there is no point in getting just one relay runner. :-) And how many people dropped the batten when they opened the relay runner in true Team GB style?
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 895
    Scrib over at Eurobricks has produced a breakdown of his case with the positions of each bag. I have copied it below.

Here's the case breakdown:

Row 1 (left), front to back
    1. Archer
    2. Archer
    3. Gymnast
    4. Tennis Player
    5. Gymnast
    6. Gymnast
    7. Weightlifter
    8. Weightlifter
    9. Tennis Player
    10. Swimmer
    11. Weightlifter
    12. Weightlifter
    13. Gymnast
    14. Weightlifter
    15. Swimmer
    16. Swimmer
    17. Swimmer
    18. Swimmer
    19. Equestrian
    20. Runner

Row 2 (middle)
    21. Runner
    22. Boxer
    23. Runner
    24. Boxer
    25. Equestrian
    26. Boxer
    27. Equestrian
    28. Archer
    29. Judo (Set complete at this point)
    30. Judo
    31. Tennis Player
    32. Tennis Player
    33. Swimmer
    34. Tennis Player
    35. Archer
    36. Tennis Player
    37. Runner
    38. Judo
    39. Gymnast
    40. Gymnast

Row 3 (right)
    41. Equestrian
    42. Judo
    43. Gymnast
    44. Tennis Player
    45. Weightlifter
    46. Swimmer
    47. Archer
    48. Boxer
    49. Judo
    50. Judo
    51. Runner
    52. Equestrian
    53. Runner
    54. Boxer
    55. Judo
    56. Boxer
    57. Runner
    58. Equestrian
    59. Archer
    60. Archer

May prove useful. My first dip produced 4 Judo players. Yesterday I got 2 weightlifters.
    Just need the Equestrian, Boxer and Gymnast to complete now.
    Mine have all come from WHSmith where they are kept behind the counter, so feeling opportunities are limited.

Got my first WHS £15 for £10 giftcard today, together with a birthday card which I needed. There is no publicity in store for this promotion so my thanks go to Venunder for bringing this to our attention.

Anybody seen anything in Argos yet? I asked yesterday in my local store but they had nothing, and could find nothing on the computer or website either.

Calv

^ The thing is, that is for a new box only. By the time you got to your small local WHSmith or other stores, it might been mixed up already.

I have mixed up ones in WHSmith in Crewe and the only box.
  • fy222fy222 Member Posts: 181
    It might inspire some to reverse engineer a new box! Just saying...
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    I went to get some at JL today in Watford - I only wanted a few packs (18) and the cashier regailed me with the tail of a "gentleman who bought 3 cases this morning".

Come on, own up ;-)

They are £1.95 a pack in JL by the way.
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 570
    So I was able to get two boxes' worth on Saturday, one box itself and 60 picked from a display. Unfortunately the figures were taken out of the box, so I couldn't confirm distributions and things.
    WHSmith at Trafford centre has them right in front of the queue, so if you take a box up to them and buy 7 at a time with all the spend £15 and £5 off vouchers and the gift card deal, you can probably get them much cheaper than JL, but doing that 9 times (or more if you are getting one box) the till staff might get abit annoyed with you ;)
    I suppose with the box there's probably more value in splitting them up and making 6 sets of all the figures with a few spares. There's something pleasing about the whole box though. Here's some pics of mine:
  • bricknationbricknation Member Posts: 713
    I've opened quite a few few sealed boxes and I have to say that the case breakdown from eurobricks doesn't work for me at all. It's random and probably depends on the person packing them into the box.
  • RainbowConnectionRainbowConnection Member Posts: 58
    I went to get some at JL today in Watford - I only wanted a few packs (18) and the cashier regailed me with the tail of a "gentleman who bought 3 cases this morning".

Come on, own up ;-)

They are £1.95 a pack in JL by the way.
    Haha, you must be pretty local to me then. Might pop into JL to complete a second set if they're that much cheaper!

• ThegoThego UKMember Posts: 264
    I bought 12 today, picked up at random. Rather bizarrely, the first 9 were all different and I completed the set straight away. Really strange.
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    @RainbowConnection - I'm Watford based 3 days of the week, Yorkshire based the rest.

On topic - I managed to get 1 full set out of the 18 packs, so I'm happy - you'll see the rest on the marketplace in trade for for CMFs etc.

My technique was to pick randomly from each column, moving front to back. I only got 1 showjumper, 1 archer, 1 boxer and 1 judo fighter.
  • BalloonistBalloonist Member Posts: 56
    My two boys spent over an hour feeling packs but they got two full sets from 19 packs.
    Good work.
    http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/373/seriesteamgbbumps.png
    Did this help them or were they working only by feel?

• BalloonistBalloonist Member Posts: 56
    No they did the feel method, but you can just see these dots at the bottom of the packs
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Can you believe I still don't have any? I just haven't made it to the shops yet!
    Are people going to make dioramas with them, or just put them on a shelve like the CMFs?
    Also, who else has done a minifig torch? Here's mine:
    http://minifigs.me/london-olympics-2012-minifigures-of-team-gb/
  • trax_3trax_3 Member Posts: 64
    ^ awesome minifigs :)
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,966
    The 36 I ordered from shop.lego.com arrived today. I'm going to weigh them all with my 0.01g scales to see if that can be used as a reliable means of identification :)
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited July 2012
    Finally managed to pick some up today from smiths - no gift cards but £5 off £15 spend means they were £1.77 each. Can live with that. Now need to figure out what I've got.
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 570
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
  • voyanui12voyanui12 Member Posts: 15
    Went into Tesco today today to hunt them down but they weren't with the S7 ones in the toy section. I was leaving the store past the toilets as I bumped into a stand which contained around 5 boxes of them! It's a terrible location for selling (although good for me :P) as noone had felt them through yet. I picked up 3 random ones (as I was on a tight schedule) and only paid £1 for them as I had a £5 gift voucher which I recieved because of the angry letter I sent to Tesco about the whole "Hulk's Hellicarrier" fiasco :)
    ^how did you get that £5 voucher? I did not get anything from their recent cock ups like Slave I, Hulk, Technic Pick Up Truck!