Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How do you display minifigs?

Comments

• UKtsumiUKtsumi Member Posts: 626
    I definitely like white frames, it shows off the figures better.

@BadzMaru I love your lego print on the back

you could get around the "balance" by having a base row of 4, the middle row 3, the top row just 2, then you could leave the Lego logo where it is.
  • BadzMaruBadzMaru Member Posts: 19
    @Legobrandoncp yeah there cut and glued down. I got the wooden strips from B&Q, think it was around £2 a strip which is the same width as the Ribba frame but 1mm thinner but not noticeable.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    The archer is about to shoot himself in the foot.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,966
    These DIY display cases look pretty good.

On a similar theme, I've been making plates mosaics on 32x32 and 48x48 baseplates. Does anyone know of a ready-made frame that would fit these nicely?
    @paul_merton
    When I couldnt get to Ikea I used these
    http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/search/Innova
    (Although they dont have any 45cmsx45cms frames at the moment which fit 50x50studs perfectly.) free delivery for orders over £30.

not sure what size you would need for 32 x 32stud .?
    @UKtsumi thanks for that suggestion - hadn't thought of looking in Hobbycraft. Am I imagining it, or did I see that Spiderman mosaic on eBay recently?
    Yes I bought it. , it was for my son, now my daughter wants a hello kitty one, and seeing as Ive freed up my frame the only excuse I have is that pink is expensive!
    I quite like these mosaic things. I wrote a program recently that turns a digital image into a plate layout using as few pieces as possible. E.g. rather than using 1x1 plates for the whole thing, it will use larger plates if there is a big area of the same colour. This makes it work out about 4x cheaper on average. I even modified it to automatically convert video files into Lego layouts, frame by frame, minimizing the amount of replacing that has to be done. Strangely, though, I haven't actually made a real one yet! I ordered a bunch of plates last night to make a 48x48 mosaic of my cat, so that will soon change!
    edited June 2012
    wow! I had to make do with a cross stitch pattern.

I think we're going a little off thread here.
    edited June 2012
    --
    yes, maybe I should start a new thread about that :D
    I'll definitely be visiting Ikea soon, though!
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^There's actually already a thread about 'Mosaics' and different apps that can do the job. I believe it's under 'Building & Techniques'.
  • ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    Does anybody know where-else I can get a frame like IKEA's Ribba?

I found JL does a few but it seems to be very expensive compare to Ribba
    Hobbycraft's are nice and have a store near-by but I cant find it and dont want to pay postage.
    DIY - Havent got any tools etc.

Thanks!
  • ereiamjhereiamjh Member Posts: 182
    Can I take this opportunity to say that I hate everybody who has posted the Ribba recomendations. Don't get me wrong, it's a great frame that's perfect for the job. However, you're all responsible for my first ever visit to Ikea. On a Saturday afternoon. Let's just say I now understand the origins of the stereotype about Swedish suicide rates.

Is it the done thing in Sweden for shops to be laid out like a maze? Clas Ohlsen in Liverpool does a similar thing, albeit on a much smaller scale. For someone like me with no sense of direction, it's deeply deeply annoying. And no amount of amusingly named cracker-bread makes it better.

Anyway, I'm off to the Lego store this morning, so hopefully that'll cheer me up a bit.
    I dont go to Ikea often, but usually know what I want from online before I go. And Im one of the people that start at the exit and go backwards. The frames and pictures are not too far in. I can only do 30 mins before I start to feel claustrophobic . Ribba frames are cheap but if your not careful you end up spending a fortune on things you dont need.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    ^^ The maze is a business plan. They make you walk through the whole store so you buy furniture you don't need. ;)
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    Best to go during the week after 6pm. One of the hardest lessons I learnt when I moved out of home was never to visit IKEA on a weekend. I am looking at getting the Ribba frames but cannot bring myself to go to the devils playground.
  • CountryboyCountryboy Member Posts: 36
    I finally had some time to mount the minifig frame to the wall.... I am very pleased with the outcome.

Each row can accommodate a complete set of 16 CMF's and height-wise it can accommodate 9 series.....

The frame was bought at Michaels and the shelving was built with lego..

Cheers,
  • ereiamjhereiamjh Member Posts: 182
    ^^ The maze is a business plan. They make you walk through the whole store so you buy furniture you don't need. ;)
    I know the psychology behind it. I just think you'd have to be a bit dim to fall for it. But in fairness there seemed to be no shortage of dimwits in the store yesterday. I just have to wonder how many people it drives away from the store. Seriously, with all the crowds, and no obvious signs of where the exits are, I find being in there a mild form of psychological torture.

@greekmick - I'm not going to make the weekend mistake again. Only reason I did it yesterday was because there's no store near where we live, and I happened to be making a urgent PC support trip to my dad in Leeds.

Oh well, at least I'll be able to find the stuff I'm after next time. And hopefully I'll be able to pop in at a more sensible time.

Oh, and the Lego store in Liverpool made me feel much better. Although closing off the road back to the tunnel for a triathalon was mightily annoying.

• MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    edited July 2012
    I've not been keeping up to date on brickset lately, but anyone mentioned these yet?
    Not terrible value considering it's 12 windows...(not great value either!)
    http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Minifigure-Presentation-Boxes-850423
  • pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    Here is my wife's display for our Team GB minifigs-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7480546842/in/photostream

She hopes you like it!

Steve

• maybertsmayberts Member Posts: 68
    That looks pretty cool :)
    ^^Great job @pricey73's wife! Love the backside of it and I really like how the Union Jack extends all the way to the front. That was an inspiring one, thanks for sharing!
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    ^^^AWESOME work! :) I do like it!
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,290
    ^^^^ LOVE that! Awesome job :D
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,375
    ^^^^^That's really nice, fantastic work.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    ^^^^^^ That is great! Much better than the recently released brick-built minifigure case that comes with a space man.
    ^^^^^^^ Have to say, that is a brilliant work!

Here is one of my way to display one type of mini fig, at the moment, I only got 1 chrome mini fig so I decided to put it in a little dome display.

^I like the little "bubble"... where'd you acquire that display case?
    edited July 2012
    Thank you!

What a description..They aren't exactly very good at marketing are they? ;-)
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 519
    Oh I love the little bubble case. But knowing me, it would get lost or buried under a mound of something.

I ended up making a few extra Minifig cases and ran out of wall space in the Lego room. I might have to Craigslist them!
    ^Are the "square/rectangular"? I'm in the market for some nice cases. A pic would be fantastic!
    edited July 2012
    @samiam391 - they are rectangular. But they're also very big and heavy with solid glass. There's no way I could ship this safely without it breaking. Hence why I was going to use Craigslist - I think it's going to have to be a local sale.

Or maybe a gift for some of my friends with Lego loving little boys.

Lego Minifigure Display Wall: Updated

(they're all full now - I just haven't updated the photo).
    @littletoki- Those look fantastic and I'd definitely be interested in picking up a few. But I understand you not wanting to ship them, so best of luck with their sale!

Side note, I wish my house looked as clean-kept as yours does in that photo! ;-)
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    @littletoki - Have you considered changing out the glass for plexiglass? It would make them a lot lighter weight.
    ^ I can't. They're embedded into the front frame, unfortunately.

^Bummer!
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    @Pricey73 - That custom frame is a classic. Well done to Mrs Pricey73. [adds red, white and blue bricks to bricklist wanted list].
  • pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    @mayberts, @BrickDancer, @Savage_Steel, @khmellymel, @samiam391, @LegobrandonCP, @chanboy & @TyoSolo
    Mrs Pricey73 here, just wanted to say a big thank you for all your kind words and support on my Flickr page.
    Carol
    Here is how I display my 2 boxers. I have also got a tennis court for the tennis players for Team GB and from series 7, but I dont have enough white tiles to make the lines so I don't want to show that yet!
    ^ Nice job!
    ^Thanks

How does everyone else keep dust away from their mini figures?

I wanted to get an acrylic cover for my shelf for the whole stand to cover it up, but acrylic are expensive!
    edited July 2012
    ^I'm going the route of enclosed cases to avoid the problem all together. Whether using the shadow boxes as @littletoki has taught us or the smaller plastic cubes found at places like The Container Store. Otherwise, it'll just have to be routine dusting using paint brushes or aircans.
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    ^^ The DETOLF glass display case from IKEA is what I use. Excellent value at £39.99. I also added some LED lights (less heat, so no damage to plastics), also from IKEA, they were about £20 to light up each shelf.

It's great for dioramas and vignettes, and can house a lot of minifigs. I would highly recommend it.
    If you don't like the kind you hang on the wall, consider getting the type case they make for displaying footballs and build a stair-step display stand in it for the figures. We see them at Michaels all the time.
    ^I have got a stair-step display on a bookcase, but the problem is, it is still getting dust in there, so I guess I will have to use dust cans..
    ^ don't know where you live, but try looking at the Container Store's on line site to see if you can find something your display will fit inside of.
    ^^ The DETOLF glass display case from IKEA is what I use. Excellent value at £39.99. I also added some LED lights (less heat, so no damage to plastics), also from IKEA, they were about £20 to light up each shelf.

It's great for dioramas and vignettes, and can house a lot of minifigs. I would highly recommend it.
    Do they actually keep dust off things, though? I've found with most glass cabinets, even the smallest gap results in things being coated in a very fine layer of dust after a few years.
    ^You're right, dust gets in through the open edges by regular air circulation. But the layer tends to be thin and accumulates slowly, so periodic dusting every 3-4 months should be enough.