Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How do you display minifigs?

Comments

• littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 519
    @jadedanc ~ all the information on where, what and how is here:

http://www.nubcakes.blogspot.com/2011/10/lego-minifigure-display-cases.html

If I had to do it again, I'd try to find some front-closing shadow boxes. A few forum members found some at Aaron Brothers. Definitely wait until they're having their "Buy the 2nd frame for a penny sale" though.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    ok thanxs! Never heard of Aaron Brothers. Have to look those up
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,916
    edited May 2012
    @littletoki They look very sexy. ;)
    Thanks @jadedance and @LegobrandonCP ! It's a labor of love.
  • PlayftlPlayftl Member Posts: 178
    @littletoki is there an easy way to figure out the measurements for the support columns? (and putting em in)
    @Playftl - it depends on the size of your case and how evenly you want to distribute the rows.

For my cases, I used five 1x3 bricks, two 1x3 plate and one 2x3 plate (so basically 6 bricks high). The bottom row and the top 2 rows were higher - almost 7 bricks high.
  • PlayftlPlayftl Member Posts: 178
    @littletoki I'm following your display case so 6 bricks high. Was there an easy way for you to evenly distribute the columns when you stick them on the sides?
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    I picked up an old music cassette wall storage piece today someone was discarding and it looks like I can remove either one or two shelves and it will nicely fit minifigs. Biggest drawback is no glass/plexi front. It was free so if it doesn't work out nothing lost.
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 775
    I decided the Lego display case was the way to go.
    I'm pairing up figs two per bay and each case by theme although i need three more cases for my other Star Wars and Superheroes minifigs.
    @Playftl ~ I'm having some trouble understanding your last question. If you'd like, send me a PM and we can discuss the cases there.
  • legodorklegodork Member Posts: 20
    I'm not too handy to handle a DIY job like @littletoki did, whose home made cases look totally AWESOME! In any event, I decided to go with the LEGO Display case, it looks great and does a good job of protecting the minifigs. I got into LEGO not to long ago so all I have so far are the CMF. At some point, mainly because of cost and space, I might have to start doubling the minifigs, but until then each figure gets its own slot.
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 509
    Found this one at Flicker. No clue who made it, but it's a illustrative way of displaying. Creds to the idea!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seven13avenue/6946020613/
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Very nice, but shouldn't Series 1 be up front and the latest in back?
  • ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    Here is my display.
    Series 7 at the back and Series 3 at the front.
    Only started collecting when series 3 was around.
    Then some city and some star wars at the front. Other star wars ones are going in a display case, will upload photos when its done.!

• TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    edited June 2012
    Thanks to @littletoki and @woony2 for the inspiration - I used a 50 x 50 Ribba frame from Ikea, with shelves spaced at 8cm intervals (top shelf 8.5cm). The shelves were made from 25mm x 6mm pine stripwood, and sprayed black in satin finish. I tried using screws as per woony2's instructions to fix them in, but the pine kept splitting.

In the end, I used my staple gun to drive brad-nails in, and tapped them flush to the inner frame with a hammer. It worked a treat. I followed up by using black felt on the backing board to finish.

Once finished, I was able to house 6 rows of 14 CMF's. Photo's to follow (I need better light).

Thanks again guys, without your instructions I wouldn't have been able to finish it.

Rich
    ^ I bought the smaller size one which is able to fit 24 figs in 1.. (23 x 23 inside one)

I should of bought more when I was at IKEA since its so far away, but I didnt.. Too bad.
    As promised, here's the photo
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 509
    @TyoSolo Great idea... copy-paste! ;-)
    @TyoSolo, the frame looks really good, I still would prefer if you used Lego to build the inside frame rather than using pine! I will take a picture of my when I get home, I have also added LED lights to it too.
    ^ Unfortunately, I don't have enough bricks to be able to do that, and the stripwood is only £2.88 per 2.4m length. Even if I did, I probably wouldn't have used them, as it would have meant compromising on space for minifigs.

I'd love to see how you got the LEDs in there though - I may just "borrow" that idea ;-)
    Ok, I will take some photos when I get home, even its only a small Ribba frame.

I'm using the 10 LED bulb USB powered strip which I can get from eBay for a few quid then I stripped off the housing and only using the LED part and bit of cabling myself to lead the cable to exit at the back and stuck to the top with blu-tac and powered by USB.
    Item number: 230706009669

For your frame, I don't think it will be bright enough to provide light to all the way to the bottom so maybe 2 on top and 2 in the middle.
    Here they are:

The photo with the LED on seems to be too bright, but in real life, its not that bright it just the camera's effect.
    ^ Not bad. It looks like the shelves cast quite a bit of a shadow on the lower shelves. Perhaps side mounting would give you a better spread of light, that is, if there's enough room?

You're right though, it wouldn't work in mine because there is no gap for the light to spread through due to the depth of the pine. I would have to light each individual shelf, and that would be a lot of wires to run up the wall.

If I were you, I'd put a black background in there - it'll show off your trooper much better.
    I think its just the camera's fault on the lighting on the bottom.

Then if I put the light on the sides I think it will have a problem where the light shines into ur eyes. And if I put a black card at the back, I think its a problem for the darker figs (darth maul and Darth Vader) but worth a try. Or I can try to make a star wars background on it.

What u can do, u can probably get some spot lights and put it on your ceiling to let the light into the case. I saw one at IKEA when I was looking for some cases which was quite nice, one to go on top of your frame and one on the ceiling. Can search it for you if you want.
    ^I saw those. they looked quite clever actually. They just clip to the top.

Star wars BG might be good.
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    Does anyone know where I can cheap shelves from? I have 209 figures, and they need to go up....
  • dotknottdotknott Member Posts: 30
    We have several typesetters drawers that we use for displaying minifigs, dunnys post-it notes.. whatever. I don't have a photo of ours.. and I'm sick, so I won't get up and take one, but here's a google image of what I'm talking about (incase you have no idea what a typesetters drawer is.)

@Sherlockbones, you can probably go to IKEA and look for photo frames and get a few of them then start building the shelves that way.

You can also do this:
    http://www.nubcakes.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/lego-minifigure-display-cases.html
    (it was from @littletoki)
  • typocorrectotypocorrecto Member Posts: 196
    Found this one at Flicker. No clue who made it, but it's a illustrative way of displaying. Creds to the idea!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seven13avenue/6946020613/
    I think I may borrow this design. This is what I came up with:

• JahabJahab Member Posts: 2
    I found success with a golf ball display.
    figs
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    ^ we used golf ball display cases also, but they don't have the verticle dividers, thus alloing us to place the figures closer together if needed.
  • tvihtvih Member Posts: 92
    I've been considering minifig display cases... but in the end I don't really collect minifigs separately much. At the moment my only non-set minifigs are Swimmer and Evil Knight, and of those swimmer was an accident while trying to get Knight - I realize that should be an impossible mistake to make, but apparently not.

In any case, it seems a display case would be overkill. I'll just probably line 'em up with the rest of my sets and set-minifigs on bookshelves. It'd be nice to have bookshelves with clear glass to prevent the sets and figs getting dusty, but I think I'll have to make do without, non-glassed is so much cheaper. And as it is, I'll rather put my very limited funds towards sets rather than more expensive bookshelves :)
  • UKtsumiUKtsumi Member Posts: 626

My first attempt/case was made from a shadow box from Hobbycraft.
    imageimage

I have now expanded and my second larger case is IKEA.
    imageimage
    andhe
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Very nice @UKTsumi! I much prefer the second case with the colored shelves, as it is able to fit all 16 CMF's of a series on 1 level. Bad part is, there will be a Series 8 soon and you only have 7 shelves. What to do then?
    ^ I see a row of studs for S8. ;)
    looks like @UKTsumi is missing a Rocker from Series 7 ;)
    ^^Ah your eyes are so much better, I didn't catch that until I zoomed after seeing your comment. @UKTsumi is in good shape for the future then. That is unless there's a S9?
    Haha, I only saw a gap at first then thought, maybe he is missing something.

If there is a S9, he would probably start a new case, maybe just a small Ribba from IKEA first, then a few more series later, get a bigger Ribba ;)
    edited June 2012
    I'm going to use a small Ribba frame for my figs and going with the strip wood idea. But should I used nails to attach the strips onto the inner frame or hot glue?
    Hot glue would be a good idea because its fairly strong anyway and make sure you wont leave any on the surface. But nails might split the strip wood so you must be careful with that when doing it.

I got a Ribba from last week and I built a frame by Lego Bricks with it so its fine and it seems to be quite nice. See my pictures from previous pages.
  • martynmartyn Reading, UKMember Posts: 148
    @UKtsumi, love case number 2. Can you list out the case size details (and a link if possible!) and the way you did the shelves/number of coloured bricks per shelf. Very timpted to try to duplicate.
    @martyn
    Frame - Ikea RIBBA (52 x 52cms)
    shelves - pine stripwood 40mm
    Paint- blackboard paint
    Glue - hot glue gun
    5bricks+2 flats for shelf height spacing

I glued a base size 3x61 plates of each colour to each shelf.
    ( I was short of colours, so some back rows of studs are black.)

you cant fit in all 16 on their original baseplates (only 15 +1stud)=61studs

I have left a shelf for series 8 - any more series will have to stay in their bags!

Another ikea frame, but without the shelves. I used old flat plates, and glued them on to the wood behind.
    ^Loving it! I like what you did with the stands too, very nice way to orient it.
    ^^ Very nice! I like the concept since if I used the shelves, I would not be able to see the printed stands.
  • BadzMaruBadzMaru Member Posts: 19
    Here's mine but still not happy with it and needs tidying up...

^ I think you should do 3 rows of 3 minifigs. That is what I'm panning to do. But overall, it looks very nice!
  • BadzMaruBadzMaru Member Posts: 19
    @legobrandoncp yes after finishing this one, I thought he same thing. I'm going to do it again. :)
    @BadzMaru I just noticed you have little indents cut into the wood for the stands. I looks very cool!
    These are all great looking displays! :D