Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How does everyone else store their collection?

Comments

• atxleeatxlee Member Posts: 155
    "How does everyone else store their collection?"

Compulsively.

Lego Room Updated
    That's an amazingly neat Lego room! That's going to provide me some inspiration this coming weekend!
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    On the bins, whatever you choose make sure you are happy with the fit of the lid and how easy/difficult it is to open. Also, if you need to stack them, how securely do they stack.

Can anyone recommend a divided box for minifig parts? I've tried the Small divided box WalMart used to sell but it's too small, and the individual sections are also too small.
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    I use one thats made by Plano, has 24 compartments and a snap closure for the lid.
    http://www.planomolding.com/toolboxes/toolbox-products-2/ 5324 stow n go I pick them up at Home Depot
    Can you measure one of the small sections and tell me the size, please?
    10.5 studs by 5 studs... lol oh and 6 studs deep .. looking for a ruler...
    3 1/4 x 1 1/2 in inches 1 3/4 deep. The row across the top is 2 inches wide instead of 1 1/2. The only issue i have with these cases is there are two holes in the corner compartments to suspend the unit. I just make sure i put larger elements in here so they dont fall out.
  • phatphil55phatphil55 Member Posts: 45
    I bet your large builds need dusting daily
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939
    The next time wor lass complains about the amount of Lego I have, i'll show her this thread. Some people here seem to have a stock to rival a branch of TRU. I have one large-ish (by UK standards) bedroom in the house (man-cave) to do what I like with. It has my main PC, Xbox360, a 40" LED TV/Bluray/Surround Amp and shelves for my built Lego. I build everything I have, except for my 92 SW battlepacks acquired amassing Darth Maul polybags from Smyths to sell - free Lego and a modest profit on my total spend can't be bad (I realise i'm small time here!). I'll post pics another time but I have a Hoth scene shelf, an Endor scene shelf, most of my fighters are hanging from the ceiling and the other Ships and DS are on either shelves or the sideboard in the room. The room is facing due north, so although it's well lit by natural sunlight, it doesn't get any directly. When sets get a bit dusty I use a soft 1" paintbrush to get into all the nooks and crannies (although since we got rid of carpets for wodden flooring throughout the house there is hardly any dust).
    3 1/4 x 1 1/2 in inches 1 3/4 deep. The row across the top is 2 inches wide instead of 1 1/2. The only issue i have with these cases is there are two holes in the corner compartments to suspend the unit. I just make sure i put larger elements in here so they dont fall out.
    Thank you for that info. Am hoping to find something with a bit wider than the 1-1/2" spaces because of hubby's Parkinsons he has trouble grabbing things from small spaces.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    @littletoki .. and here's me thinking you only had minifigs! (seriously! - I dont know why)

• soundczarsoundczar Member Posts: 21
    I have a room that doubles as my Lego/Sports memorabilia room. I have Star Wars and Classic Space sets assebled and displayed on shelves. I have a classic town layout, a Modular City layout, and a castle layout on tables and counters. I display about 30% of my collection at any given time. Sets not in used in my layouts right now, or from themes I do not have displayed are collected in zip lock bags and stored by theme in Sterlite containers, labeled (Things that Float, Things that Fly, etc). I also have bins sorted by color that contain extra bricks for MOCing. I take small and "specialty" bricks and store them in smaller containers in fishing tackle boxes so they are easy to find. I am in the process of removing directions from the zip locks to binders, but it is slow! I understand many collectors keep boxes, I have chosen not to for space considerations.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,289
    Boxes are sealed in vacuum packaging (we have a vacuum packer due to my Dad's job) before being shoved in the attic, instructions go into plastic boxes which go into a store room and sets all go on display in various cabinets I have for different themes. I have two cabinets for loose parts which are separated by colour and size and finally my pride and joy, my Lego Star Wars figure display cabinet which I am trying to complete at the moment. Anything which does not fit or I don't want to display, gets vacuum packed and put away in my spare parts cabinet. It stores everything comfortably but has involved me taking over two rooms of the house :P
  • Cloud10000Cloud10000 Member Posts: 16
    Hey guys.
    Don't know if this helps but a good and inexpensive way that I've found to store minifigures is a plastic craft box. The supplier is Anitas and you can probably get them in any craft/art shop.
    In Ireland they are priced at about 4.50 euro and they store 16/17 of them little guys.
    Hope this helps.
  • GamerGamer Member Posts: 32
    What would be a good way to display sealed Minifigs like all the yearly star wars ones?
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    I moved my room a few months ago and I'm still working on sorting and arranging everything the way I want. Here's what I have so far...
    1.JPG 112K
    2.JPG 112.1K
    3.JPG 106.4K
    4.JPG 93.2K
  • Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 266
    @ Kor: OMG what a great display! What's in the closed black/yellow/red boxes? Instruction booklets?
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    ^^ Perfect! ...but where's the building station? You must be sitting on the table and rotating to take the pictures, right?
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    Can anyone recommend a divided box for minifig parts? I've tried the Small divided box WalMart used to sell but it's too small, and the individual sections are also too small.
    Ocean State Job Effort sells boxes for about $4 that are around 11" x 9" ... removable dividers to expand as needed. I use these for minifig parts and small / distinct pieces.

@ Kor: OMG what a great display! What's in the closed black/yellow/red boxes? Instruction booklets?
    Thank you! Those store all of my slope and arches. They're arranged by color and then by specific shape.
    ^^ Perfect! ...but where's the building station? You must be sitting on the table and rotating to take the pictures, right?
    Thank you! I have a large table that folds down on one side. Its on the side that I'm still working on so I didn't take any pics of that part of the room.

^My table actually is my storage. I won't damage anyone's eyes or sense of decor by posting pictures. Let's just say it looks like a kid's room...three feet above the floor.
    edited June 2012
    .Ocean State Job Effort sells boxes for about $4 that are around 11" x 9" ... removable dividers to expand as needed. I use these for minifig parts and small / distinct pieces.

@andyscouse. Can you please give me a link?
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    Can anybody recommend a good seller for cheap craft boxes/organisers in the UK? Possibly even an actual B&M store in (West) London? I've tried a couple of DIY stores, but no luck so far.
  • LauraCLauraC Member Posts: 41
    Wilkinsons sell clear plastic carry cases with compartments for £5 each, the dividers are removable to make compartments longer if needed, and they're stackable. Can't seem to find em on the website, but they're usually in with the tool boxes in store. Their storage section is worth checking out too, lots of tupperware etc!
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 880
    edited June 2012
    I was in the local Axminster tool shop (local to me anyway!!) and came across these storage boxes at a very reasonable £4.20 each. Each is a 225mmx150mmx60mm clear plastic box with either 24 small plastic boxes, 12 larger boxes or 12 cylindrical tubes. I think they are very useful for putting your small parts in. I bought a couple to try and have sorted my technic pins and 1x1 round plates so far.

I've put the URL below, they do a very efficient mail order service. I was in store at 1630 pm after a router bit, they didn't have it in stock but supplied it from the main warehouse in Axminster and I got it at 1030 am the following day.

I prefer the type with removable compartments as it makes getting the small parts out easier.

axminster.co.uk/axminster-plastic-storage-pot-sets-prod460545/

Hope this helps
    Calv
  • tvihtvih Member Posts: 92
    Me and my brothers' childhood sets were always in one big box when they weren't assembled. Not a great idea in retrospect, the parts really aren't in a good condition these days. Though they've also got plenty of teeth marks and other things not related to storage.

Now that I'm back in the game, my plan is to keep the sets assembled and on display. Yellowing and such are a problem, but to me there's really no point in having the sets if they're just tucked away somewhere. The new boxes (don't really have most of the old ones, or in some cases just a partial box) along with instructions will simply be kept in a closet. As I only buy small amounts compared to most here apparently, I don't imagine getting so many boxes that it'd become a problem, especially as I can put smaller boxes inside larger ones if need be.

In the last month - which is when I came out of my dark age - I've bought 28 sets (though not yet received all of them) if I counted correctly, most of which are small and take up very little space. I've got over a dozen more planned, but those are large ones. Still, shouldn't be a problem. In fact displaying the planned larger models will be the bigger problem (yet still not very big), though only in the short term before I can make some necessary changes with that in mind. It'll take at least six months to buy 'em all up anyway.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    Organized chaos for me.

There's 2 hardware organizers, some sterelite containers, 2 display cabinets, and misc items(2 containers on a table plus items on the hardware organizers) that hold the stuff for in my room.

Then i have a portable set up since when i build, i often find the only time to be able to putter around ideas is when i'm catching up on stuff on the tv. There's a 10 drawer cart for the bulk, another sterelite container for bricks that don't fit in one of the drawers, a 2 tray tackle box for parts i want to keep close, a smaller sterelite w/ lego blue roadster parts, plus a small basket off to the side w/ a couple airplanes i made. I'm thinking about using the basket as a WIP holder like a few cases i've heard on.

Never could get behind the concept of everything organized in only one way(color, parts, part catagories, etc) since it wouldn't work for me. I'd have to have EVERYTHING portable to have a one way method and in order to do that, i'd be looking at another 60 dollars on carts and an estimated 20-30 on containers(more if i get more tackle boxes) plus it'd be a lot harder to find stuff i need.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    My temporary storage
    badgersandwich
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    ^ That sure is a lot of books that the Chicago Library you own.
  • tvihtvih Member Posts: 92
    Haha, if one really would have that many bricks and stuff, finding the right ones would be quite annoying and more importantly would take ages even when you know where to look.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    edited June 2012
    ^ That sure is a lot of books that the Chicago Library you own.
    LOL. No, I made pretty darn sure to grab a LEGO warehouse photo. This is where I keep mine until I decide to buy them I need them.

Life2Short4Lego
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    ^ ah.. It's the same system as the library uses to store books. I see now that the library uses a different container though.

http://mansueto.lib.uchicago.edu/shelving.html
  • BlueTaylorBlueTaylor Member Posts: 51
    @drdavewatford and @bluemoose - A while back, I had a chance to buy either an extra Town Plan or an extra Green Grocer at 20% Off from one of our local Lego stores. I chose the Green Grocer but sometimes late at night, I wake up and can still hear the crying of the lambs, so I just don't know....I just don't know. ;o)
    Hahahaha, this cracked me up! :D We are all mad, I swear! :D

MorkMan
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,771
    My temporary storage
    That's my smile for the day! Thank you. :o)
  • dsdg88dsdg88 Member Posts: 133
    My 8 year old son told me that he understands we have a Lego storage problem and kindly offered this solution: if I give him and his brother more of the sets I'll have more space.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,771
    ^ Being the early hours of the following day, you've just provided me with smile for Wednesday. Brilliant. Absolutely love it.
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 880
    For anybody looking for parts drawer units for their lego collection Lidl in the UK will be having some drawer units in their stores from next Monday 9 July 2012.

They will be £8.99 with either 33 drawers + 32 dividers or 17 larger drawers with 8 dividers.

These will be delivered to stores and put on sale next Moday morning and will only be in store while stocks last - they wont last long in my local store! I will be there at 08:00 to check them out.

Link here on their website

lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_32560.htm

These may also be in other European Lidl stores.

Calv

^Those are nice, too bad they don't ship to US. I've been using cheap Tupperware to sort until I spring for a few sets of drawers like those. I'm looking at these:

http://www.amazon.com/Akro-Mils-10724-24-Drawer-Plastic-Hardware/dp/B00012FQEM/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_c

Opinions? Other links for US?
    edited July 2012
    ^If you have a Menards close they carry Akro-Mils. I believe I paid 25.00 each for mine but saved on shipping and didn't have to worry about them showing up damaged. Lowes carries Stack-On cabinets which are about the same thing. I've purchased many of each brand and they both work well, although Akro-Mils provides a number of tray dividers with each cabinet which is a plus.
    Thanks. No Menards down here but I'll check Lowes, though the dividers will be hard to pass up.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 867
    edited July 2012
    I'm not as organized as many of you, but I got some great black and white Lack shelves for my room at IKEA. They are just the right height to keep prying children's hands away. image
    flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7545091976
    The second picture is my bulletin board temporary building space. imageflickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7545091130/in/photostream/
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Nice collection of minis!

I noticed @CapnRex101 mentioning 'vacuum sealing', is exposure to air and humidity a factor in properly storing bricks over time? UV is for sure, temperature is debatable, any other factors?
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    I'm just about to get a quote for a "pro workshop". Basically a shed that is pre-insulated, doubles glazed and secure. My house can't take any more. I would have been fine, but we have a new arrival due on the 7th Aug, so I have to move my stuff. Does anyone else have this kind of setup? What are the pitfalls, etc. I'm looking at an 8 x 16 unit - will this be big enough for my growing collection?

A lot of questions, I know.

I don't have as much lego as some of you guys, but what I do have is valuable enough. I want to make sure its a) secure, and b) protected from the elements. Additionally, as a way to sell it to my wife, I need it to be a home office.

We have something similar, ours is Tuff Shed brand. If you're going to just store and build it may be large enough. We have a layout which uses a lot of space so we ran out of room in a 16X20. We have shelves on the upper portion of the walls and storage beneath the layout.
  • thebricksterthebrickster Member Posts: 63
    edited July 2012
    my lego room in a panorama bricks are organized by type and color and a couple big loose container
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    ^ I'm loving the Ghostbusters taking down the giant minifig!
    @thebrickster How did you manage the panorama photo? What are the demensions of the room? You've a lot of really good detail there!
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    Holy moly, some of you have a whole load of bricks, I'm just planning on making a display for my Star wars collection that centers on a central poster in the middle, SSD underneath and then various other models around the outside, should be a good trip to IKEA!
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365

Ocean State Job Effort sells boxes for about $4 that are around 11" x 9" ... removable dividers to expand as needed. I use these for minifig parts and small / distinct pieces.

@AFFOL_Shellz_Bellz
    Sorry - just saw your request just now. OSJL is B&M only, but its website is thus:

Ocean State Job Lot