Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Predictions for the next wave of PotC sets

thesinisterpenguinthesinisterpenguin Member Posts: 96
edited April 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Having only recently got back into LEGO, I wondered if a) my presumptions are correct, and b) if we could possibly guess/predict what the next wave of PotC sets will be.

The sets which have already been released leave a gap of the numbers 4184 - 4190.

We already know that 4184 is the Black Pearl, but I wondered if we could discuss our guesses for the remaining 6 sets (if the numbers work that way (see 'a)').

I hope that the Flying Dutchman will be one of them, because that is a very impressive ship, and would look great in LEGO form! Including, of course, a few crew members and what promises to be a brilliant minifig - Davy Jones!
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/elshaddai/images/pirates_of_the_caribbean_001_scale.jpg

One thought I had was the Blacksmith where we see Will Turner and Jack having a sword fight. The potential parts here would be the cart which flips them up to the rafters (some sort of flicking mechanism/see saw motion), a wheel that does something (the wheel which the donkey rotates).
http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/walt_disney/pirates_of_the_caribbean__the_curse_of_the_black_pearl/_group_photos/johnny_depp7.jpg

A possible set could be from the start of the 3rd movie, the bath house in Singapore, with drop away floor and Singapore pirates/British soldiers and Elizabeth/Will/Barbossa etc in costume/disguise. (Having just googled that, it appears megabloks did something similar - won't post a link.)

An awesome set, though unlikely, would be the end of the second movie, with Jack, a battered up Black Pearl (or part of) and the Kraken's mouth at the side of the ship. It would be a great build, though is more likely to arise as a MOC!
http://img.listal.com/image/884842/600full-pirates-of-the-caribbean%3A-dead-man's-chest-screenshot.jpg

A possible set, though again, unlikely could be Tia Dalma's place:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1475906816/ch0001224

What do you think?

Comments

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    edited April 2011
    The 4th movie, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, debuts on May 20th, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some sets come from the movie while it's still fresh.
  • thesinisterpenguinthesinisterpenguin Member Posts: 96
    ^ I suppose so, although Captain's Cabin, Fountain of Youth, London Escape and Whitecap Bay are all from the 4th movie already!
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    edited April 2011
    ^^ I disagree. I think there's a strong likelihood that these 9 sets are it. Indiana Jones had 3 waves but there was much more available in the way of source material and fanbase with that theme. I suspect PotC will work similarly to PoP except for the extra set still to come. This is supported by the fact that these 9 sets are from all the movies and not just the new. I hope I'm wrong, though, as I crave more. :o)
    edited April 2011
    @thesinisterpenguin: Ahh... good point :P I didn't know some of those were from there. I guess that is a pretty sizable representation already
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    'The Interceptor' would make for a good mid-range-priced ship in comparison to the larger ships. The prison that Jack is in when the Pearl originally attacks Port Royal would be cool (complete with half-pin barrel hinges), as would a Port Royal playset. A Tortuga playset would be a possibility. I'd like to see the dinghy that Jack originally docks (read: sinks) at Port Royal in the opening sequence of the first movie as a battlepack type set, with the dock, boat, dock supervisor, etc.
    ^ Ooh! Nice idea with that opening scene! And a Tortuga bar scene would be great!
    edited April 2011
    @Yellowcastle: Playing Devil's Advocate... the Indiana Jones LEGO sets came strictly from the four movies (and not the novels, Young Indy TV show, etc), and PotC will have four movies by this release so source material is equivalent. Unless you mean that the IJ movies had more locales, which I'll agree with, but there is still plenty to be used for both franchises.

Also, when "catching up" with a franchise as it did with Star Wars, Batman, IJ, and others, they pulled from every movie with the first run of sets. As we well know with Star Wars, that didn't stop them from continuing all these years.

Provided their is no licensing limitation, I imagine LEGO will continue as long as it is popular and makes business sense.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    "Provided their is no licensing limitation, I imagine LEGO will continue as long as it is popular and makes business sense."

Agreed.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    I hope you're right, as our last Pirates reboot was all too short and we were all hoping PotC would fill that niche. My gut tells me this it, though, mostly based on how PoP was handled. Comic heroes like Batman and Spidey are probably not the best comparisons. PotC may have had just as many films as IJ but not the 20 to 30 years of iconic saturation that IJ has experienced. Thus, I think were looking at 9 to 10 sets here but then freeing up a spot (theme) for next year.

If I were to guess now, I would think It's not impossible to envision LotR or maybe even Marvel characters such as the Avengers or XMen underway. Don't forget, Disney acquired Marvel for $4.25B in 2010 and the PoP hand claws make a pretty good Wolverine! :o)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,233
    Thoughts :
    - we might not get any more sets after the Black Pearl; probably depends on sales
    - given that we're already getting 2 large ships, I don't see us getting a third
  • LordShockwaveLordShockwave Member Posts: 16
    I hope that we get a Flying Dutchman with EITC men, Davy Jones and his crew, I've heard rumors that the Black Pearl will include a Kraken thing, but i think the thing that would be really cool is a Singapore set, with tons of chinese pirates, Gibbs, Marty, PIntel, Rageiti, Cotton, Sao Feng, Barbossa, Tia Dalma, and maybe if we're realy lucky, a Shipwreck Cove...
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited April 2011
    This sort-of came up in the Ambassador forum ... the question was about the apparent short shelf-life of some themes; Toy Story 3 was given as an example. The answer from LEGO's CEC Team (Community Engagement & Communication Team) was -
    "These lines where discontinued as the licenses they were linked to have passed. Retailers are putting more and more pressure on the company to have something new and/or current on the shelves. This is why you see shorter runs of product as the retailers don’t want to carry items for long periods of time any longer"
    My take on this is that when they talk about 'retailers' they are mainly talking about the big US companies (TRU, Target, Walmart) who are able to apply a lot of pressure on companies like LEGO due to the huge amounts of product they order.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,248
    I think the Lego Pirates line (before POTC) was interrupted because of POTC, because didn't a Lego rep say it was going to be 'delayed' for a year?
    Well probably longer now.. It would be very odd to only have two Pirates ships for the POTC line, so I am guessing this line may last for longer than two-three lines... Unless they consider the Imperial Flagship as a suitable representation of the British ships.
  • Brickmaster47Brickmaster47 Member Posts: 28
    Something to do with Davy Jones - that's all I can really guess at this moment.
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    Well POTC is a theme that will always sell... not just a fad item. Like Indiana Jones Lego took it because a new movie was going to bring it to public attention. Plus Disney, being the company that it is, will insist Lego keep making sets. Well I know Disney will keep making Pirates movies (long past the point of where there's no stories) so as long as the kids keep buying (lord knows they will) then Lego can make more sets.

I watched the second movie a few weeks ago and would love the idea of Davy Jones ship!
    i personally dont care whats next, im just waiting for info about the Black Pearl (4184) any idea when new information comes out?
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited May 2011
    POTC4 is supposed to be the 1st in a new trilogy, but it depends on how well it does at the box office; Disney are unlikely to throw more money at the franchise if it flops.
    None of us here (OK, most of us here) have no idea what the scope of the licensing deal between LEGO & Disney is wrt to POTC, so anything we post will be pure speculation, but I doubt Disney can force LEGO to put out sets if LEGO don't think it's financially viable to do so.
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    I think we should all make a concerted effort to buy all the PotC sets and see the new movie at least twice to ensure the development of more movies and more sets. :) I really really want a Davy Jones minifigure!
  • JohnnycogsJohnnycogs Member Posts: 68
    Funnily enough, I was just trying to convince SWMBO of the very same thing, starting with the Queen Anne's Revenge set =D
  • beets665beets665 Member Posts: 106
    i really think the next sets will be a mix of any new flims and the older 1's so i can see there being more ships like the black pearl and the flying dutch man but i can see there being more sets like the london set
    what about a set of the island where the kraken's dead body is? that would be amazing
    edited May 2011
    from what I've seen elsewhere, there is a thought that the Black Pearl MIGHT just come with a craken...
  • dmm32552dmm32552 Member Posts: 47
    Considering the 4th film just made $90 million in its opening weekend, I think there's a good chance the 5th film happens. Depp is really the only person who has to say yes in order to make another happen. This means POTC could go away for a while but then come back when another movie comes out. I would be totally fine with that but they can't release a POTC video game and all these sets and merely TEASE us with 1 minifig from Davy Jones' crew without actually giving us Davy Jones, so...

--I agree with the person above who says Davy Jones is included in one of the next sets. Could it possibly be another ship? Who knows? 3 ships in one line seems like a lot because they're all gonna be $100+ but this series does spend most of its time on ships. Also, Davy couldn't stand on dry land, so maybe if not the Flying Dutchman, it'll be an interior of the ship set, like Davy's cabin complete with the big organ he plays. That's my official guess for one set. It'll also have Will Turner and feature the key he steals off him.

--I'm betting the Pearl comes with a kraken from Dead Man's Chest and comes with Jack, Will, Elizabeth (new outfit), Gibbs and a handful of the classic BP crew members like Pintel & Rigetti, Cotton, etc. A set this iconic needs to have at least 8, maybe 10 minifigs. Hogwarts had 10, so why cant this?

--I'm thinking some sort of Port Royal set even though there's one that can be made from the parts from London Escape and Whitecap Bay. It needs to have Governor Swann in it as well as those two goofball British guards (I dont know their names).

--Sao Feng's bathhouse. For the reasons mentioned above by others, it's a perfect fit for the series. They can use a lot of pieces that now exist in LEGO because of the Ninjago series. Sao Feng's inclusion is a must as well as Elizabeth Swann as a Pirate Lord.
    ^ Good thinking. The Pearl plus Craken is looking like the popular choice. The Bathouse, imo, would be fantastic (and would open up the series to the inclusion of Sao's/ Elizabeths boat the Empress???). With regard to Davy Jones though, I am wondering if we might get given a couple of pre-Dutchman teasers.... Like the Deck Fight from the end of 3 made in a similar vain to the Captains Cabin set? That would also allow for a possible Bootstrap Bill minifig?
    edited May 2011
    With regard to Davy Jones though, I am wondering if we might get given a couple of pre-Dutchman teasers.... Like the Deck Fight from the end of 3 made in a similar vain to the Captains Cabin set? That would also allow for a possible Bootstrap Bill minifig?
    In my opinion, they can't let this series end without giving us not only Davy (of course) but also Bootstrap Bill AND Maccus. If you have to pick 3 essential Dutchman crew members, it would be those 3 to go along with the already-released Hadras. But they might as well release the Flying Dutchman before it's all said and done.
  • Halberd777Halberd777 Member Posts: 32
    The only way I see this line discontinuing is if Disney takes the license from lego. There are huge POTC fans and there are huge pirate lego fans together massive profit.

I am not even a POTC fan nor a Pirate fan but the legos add perfectly to my castle them so I even see many castle fans buying the sets and keeping the figures as collectibles.

I would definately hope for a Port Royale.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    I am not a POTC fan or a Pirate fan, but so far have Captains Cabin, with Isla de la Muerta, QAR and BP all on order. Mainly because I got good deals TBF though. CC was free, Isla de la Muerta was £10.49, QAR was £64.79 and BP at £81.99.
    edited May 2011
    The Lego PotC video game offers a great preview of the characters in Lego form (there are 80 playable characters in total!), and the Flying Dutchman crew look fantastic. They have to be made in physical Lego, they just have to! :) It's a good game btw, I got it for the 360 mainly so I could get my hands on the exclusive Jack Sparrow minifig. It's great fun, 5 levels for each film, and once you finish the quests there's loads of replay value, finding treasure and discovering previously unreachable sections of the ships etc.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,248
    Id also say for those wavering on buying the Queen Anne's revenge do so now, I have a feeling once it is gone it is gone....
    I'm gonna wait for a nice QAR discount but I will go for it before it's too late. It's the only way you'll ever get the Cook and the probably the Quartermaster. Angelica may pop up in a future set in the next wave but I'd say they already really did a good job of covering all the major sets & plotpoints in OST.

If we're spit-balling OST set ideas [and I don't really want to because I want to see more representation from films 1-3], I'd say a good set idea might be Escape from the Spaniards. It would include Jack & Barbossa (yep, again) along with a couple of trees, some rope, the silver chalices, The Spaniard and two of his soliders. There basically isn't any other good set material left for part 5 without "reaching" or over-representing it. It would be nice to see The Spaniards get some representation though since they were excluded from Aqua de Vida entirely.

I want a set from the scene in AWE with all the Pirate Lords (and Sparrow's dad). They look great in the video game. Can you imagine a Keith Richards LEGO?
    The Dutchman crew are musts, because they look so good in the video game, what would the kraken look like as lego though?
    edited May 2011
    The Dutchman crew are musts, because they look so good in the video game, what would the kraken look like as lego though?
    Here's one idea.... http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=8061-1
  • SapmiSatanSapmiSatan Member Posts: 106
    You can't compare Pirates of the Caribbean to Prince of Persia or Toy Story... It's most likely going to be a lot like Indiana Jones, only, it's going to go further. According to IMDb, there's going to be a fifth and a sixth film, scheduled for release in 2013 and 2014. Pirates of the Caribbean can keep up one more year without another film, Indy did. What stopped Indy was the fact that there were no more films after the supposed fourth film, I'll never be able to acknowledge it as a real Indiana Jones film... It broke my heart.

Anyway, like Indy, there's another set scheduled for release this fall, if it follows the same pattern, we'll get two more classic sets next winter. Then, there's the summer 2011 batch, featuring one more, On Stranger Tides set, along with some classics, Port Royal or The Flying Dutchman will be the big ones here. This summer batch will, unless there's one released in the winter, feature the first At Worlds End set. Unless we count Jack's Boat, of course. The 2013 wave will feature both classics and sets from the fifth film, this is if we get a Harry Potter-like development. Pirates of the Caribbean will then be the second largest licensed franchise, second only to Star Wars.

My set prediction-summation:
    Winter 2012: Port Royal Docks: Jack Sparrow, Elizabeth Swan, Governor Swan, Commodore Norrington and Murtogg & Mullroy.
    Sao Feng's Ship: Sao Feng, Elizabeth Swan(pirate lord) and Chinese pirate crew.
    I don't think they can keep up the line if they're going to keep putting Jack in every set, both Star Wars and Harry Potter(initially) followed this formula, and are the only long-lived lines.

Summer 2012: I've been predicting the Blacksmith Shop since I first saw Jack on that camel, and I'll keep it up. Blacksmith Shop: Jack, Will and Brown, the blacksmith. Notable for introducing the LEGO donkey.
    Spaniard Escape: As suggested by @dmm32552, I agree that it will most likely include Jack, Barbossa, the Spaniard and two Spanish soldiers, possibly only the Spaniard.
    Some middle-sized ship would be nice, like the one Will is on that gets attacked by the Kraken, if the Kraken is not included in the Pearl, this would be a sensible way to go. This would be another Jack-free set.
    Tortuga Brawl: Jack, Elizabeth, Will, Ragged Norrington, Gibbs, Giselle, Scarlett and Pirate. Some exclusions would obviously occur.
    The Flying Dutchman: If they don't make it, they'll just piss everyone off, and they know it. The one thing speaking against it, is that it would be the third big ship released in a year, and it would probably be really expensive, like the Diagon Alley of Pirates.

These are my(and some of your thoughts), it is not based on any facts about coming sets, except for the Black Pearl, which we know, oh, so little about...
    The thing about POTC is most of the action in the entire series takes place aboard ships (with the exception of much of OST which is already well-represented in LEGO), so they shouldn't be afraid to release a bounty of ships. It's cool that we're getting two in one year but realistically they shouldn't retire the series without giving us the best 5: The Black Pearl (done), QAR (done), The Flying Dutchman, The Interceptor, and The Empress. Ship battles were a great part of the series and a great part of LEGO Pirate themes in general.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^ And they sell well.
    does anyone know when we will get info about the Black Pearl, and other sets?
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,354
    Hi. I posted this the other day - http://www.dvd.co.uk/buy/catlego4184/lego-4184-pirates-of-the-caribbean-black-pearl.htm
    it shows a great pre-order price for the Black Pearl and a release date of the 20th November. if you look on Brikipedia there is a bit more info, but not much - http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/4184_Black_Pearl
    I guess Lego are trying to keep a few surprises for the end of the year
    Are we guessing that, since the price is so much more reasonable than QAR, it's going to be a far less impressive ship? I hope that is not really the case and it just winds up being a much better value.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,354
    Looking at the details on Brikipedia is shows the Pearl is going to have almost 300 less peices than the QAR and 1 less mini fig. So hopefully the price reflects the slightly smaller size and is just as good as the QAR.
  • MvdSMvdS Member Posts: 34
    There were some rumours and an interview with Johny Depp in Veronica (Dutch TV-magazine) that there will come more movies. The franchise is succesfull and I think there will be a 5th and 6th movie (at least).
    edited June 2011
    GENTS AND LADIES, I GIVE YOU, THE BLACK PEARL
    [Link Removed]

Post edited by @Matthew -19/06/11 20.10 BST - Reason for Edit: Removed link.
  • ThisIsMyCupThisIsMyCup Member Posts: 156
    @lordshockwave, is that davy jones in the corner??
    edited June 2011
    It's Davy Jones alright, with Will's dad Bootstrap Bill, and Maccus the hammerhead shark guy from the Flying Dutchman is there too. It's a prelim image though so the designs are likely to change for the final product...
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited June 2011
    In line with Brickset Policies I have removed the link to the Black Pearl image, as it was marked
    'CONFIDENTIAL
    ©2011 The LEGO Group.
    Not to be copied or disclosed.
    PRELIMINARY IMAGE'

Sorry everyone
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,388
    edited June 2011
    Thanks Matthew. I should add something to the forum rules about not posting links to confidential images.
    edited June 2011
    I presume that we are still allowed to talk about it though, yes?

The minifigs in the set look great! It might have to be my first ship, both for ease of getting all the minifigs and out of interest for how ships are constructed!

The only thing that puts me off is the sails. I'm not really interested in sails, and indeed all parts like that (cloaks/capes/skirts/etc.) - they don't really come under the 'Lego' title for me.
    edited June 2011
    @thesinisterpenguin I suspect the sails will be different in the final version. the sails in the queen anne's revenge look way better than those seen in the preliminary picture for that ship.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    Looks very basic to me with not alot of detail to mention. I can understand now why it falls below the QAR's price point.
    ^ Perhaps it is to be considered an entry level ship?
  • ThisIsMyCupThisIsMyCup Member Posts: 156
    definitely less "impressive" than the QAR, but still nice. I think the all black looks sweet and very MOCable, perhaps a Blacktron on water theme?