Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New Brand Store in Sheffield, UK

martynmartyn Reading, UKMember Posts: 148
edited June 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,818
    Finally on the right side of the peaks.

Anticipated start date: July 2012
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    @kevbags. You listening???
  • legonut80legonut80 UKMember Posts: 314
    Wow so so so excited! I've always said Meadowhall should have a Lego store :)
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 579
    Sheffield, eh? Awesome.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    I was quietly hoping for Leeds, but very good! Well done Sheffield!
  • ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    They are really expanding their store locations!
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    @flump I'm listening but Manchester is likely to hammer my wallet more.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Given this news it seems even stranger that Manchester is getting one. Although it is much better than Liverpool for the north west. Its starting to feel that there will be one in just about every large city soon, rather than TLG trying to have them regionally spaced out. (if that makes sense)
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    tee he he - I've done my best to keep quiet about this, whilst being very excited! I'll be borrowing my niece and nephew for the monthly build nights :)
    Curious, the start date is July, whereas Manchester is August. Anyone know what the assistant manager or even shop assistant jobs pay? I'm gonna be unemployed soon, and since so much of my wages go on lego, this might actually pay enough! ;-)
    Manchester is also July based on the more recent adverts.
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    I have applied for the store managers job. Fingers crossed :)
    good luck @bricksan - if you get it, please keep me in mind as an assistant. Not worked in a shop since I was at Argos as teenager...I'm sure it'll all come back to me! ;-)
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 898
    ^ I'm sure that whilst there's a lot more to it than loving Lego, the product knowledge of an AFOL combined with infectious enthusiasm makes them ideal candidates to work in a brand store!
    @Savage_steel I will do, Even though I run my own business I would love to get back into management and having 10+ years experience, this would be an epic job. Will keep you in mind for sure, only sent my application in, so till early days yet. :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,818
    ^ So is it too soon to be asking for discounts?
    @CCC yep, for me it would be a dream job, just hope the people in charge of the recruitment like what I have to offer.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,488
    I'm guessing these stores are fairly easy to setup for TLG? Seeing that they have the same stock and fittings/layout for each store. Hence why the announcements and store openings seemingly spring out of nowhere!?

Meadowhall seems like a good choice, and not too close so as to be a constant threat to my wallet!
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    ^ no, not easy at all. These two new stores have been in the works for many months, it's just that they keep it very quiet until as late as possible. The store managers have very little latitude to actually 'manage' the store.
  • beets665beets665 Member Posts: 106
    yes yes yes!!! finally a lego store near me only 20 mins away my poor bank is going to feel it
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    good news, but why they don't plonk one in the midlands I will never know. The Touchwood centre in solihull would be ideal, the demographic is as affluent as you will get for a town with a large shopping centre. (although the rents are meant to be very high...)
  • mcvitiemcvitie Sheffield, EnglandMember Posts: 292
    This has made my day, im only 5 minutes away!
    Do you think there will be an exclusive giveaway on the opening day? Any speculation as to what/if that might be?
    edited June 2012
    Most of the UK stores have had two 'opening days' - a soft opening, with no big fan fair or give always, and then a Grand Opening a few weeks/a month later. The grand opening is usually a 2 or 3 day event, with lots of giveaways. A lot depends on how well the shop fitting goes; the London Westfield store (shepherds bush) was a bit of a mess. They delayed the soft opening and then the grand opening was about a month later iirc.

An exclusive give away is likely to be a pack of three figs, on one of the days.
    @bluemoose, do we get to know when the soft opening is in advance?
  • ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    Don't know what the store is like in Sheffield's meadowhall.

But one in Manchester Arndale, (old SuperDry Store, near Clinton), they made a mess of it and stuck "Opening soon 2011" on the construction wall part. Hope they are opening in early July then Im popping in for soft and grand openings!
    @bluemoose, do we get to know when the soft opening is in advance?
    No, they don't typically make any kind of announcement before hand. They may go straight to the Grand Opening (like I think they have with recent US stores), and that will be advertised on the website ( http://stores.lego.com/en-US/default.aspx# ) under the 'United Kingdom' tab.
    Ok thanks
    edited June 2012
    It won't be opposite the Disney Store but is right next to it:

oooo thats just wet my whistle even more. CAN'T WAIT!
    I banged really hard but no one would let me in yet :P
  • phatphil55phatphil55 Member Posts: 45
    I wonder what salary a manager at a lego store would take home. Are we assming it will be small larger or the same as the milton keynes one?
  • TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    any one no any more on this and when it may be opening?
    Yes it opens on the 31s August.

The grand opening is 31st Aug - 2nd Sep and you get a free limited edition gift with every £25 purchase. :)
    Only that it's grand opening will be first weekend in Sept/last in August. So maybe a month before for it's soft opening?
    My friend applied for the manager job, got offered assistant manager, on the same salary as she's on at Peacocks, so I guess it doesn't pay any more than other retail jobs.
    @savage_steel will you let us know when the soft opening is if you find out?
    Yes it opens on the 31s August.

The grand opening is 31st Aug - 2nd Sep and you get a free limited edition gift with every £25 purchase. :)
    Is the gift likely to be the 3 figs again? The ones from Liverpool were a bit of a let down! (3 man 'Beatles'...). What's it likely to be? 3 steel workers, or maybe an exclusive Sean Bean minifig :p

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    ^ I'm reaaaalllly hoping it's the Brand Store model...
    What do they get in the states - minifig pack one day, store one day and t-shirt one day. Is that correct? do we think we'll get the same now?

Are all the southerners going to be trekking up North for the last two weekends in August?
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    ^ Maybe ;-) Though I'm not sure I'm a proper Southerner...
    What do they get in the states - minifig pack one day, store one day and t-shirt one day. Is that correct? do we think we'll get the same now?

Are all the southerners going to be trekking up North for the last two weekends in August?
    Keep to your own stores! Us northern (based) AFOLs have been waiting a long time for some closer stores! :P

• caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    I think the newsletter says it is a different gift every day.

Erm, yes I am thinking of coming up North! :oD
  • legonut80legonut80 UKMember Posts: 314
    I hope it's going to be like the US in the way of T Shirt Friday, Brand Store model Saturday and minfigures Sunday. I would really like to get that Brand Store model.

I'm so looking forward to this, I've always said Meadowhall should have a Lego store. It's an hours drive away and I plan to make the trip each day all being well :)
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    I would think you'd get all three items, that's a new thing for the US this year and I'd assume it's a worldwide change. I wouldn't count on getting any regionally appropriate minifigures, the Nashville ones included a pirate and two fairly generic minifigures. A pirate! We're landlocked. The t-shirt referenced country music though.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,292
    ^ LOL, that made me smile. "We're landlocked!"
    Sean Bean as Ned Stark would be ace...*hmmm custom minifig idea*
  • TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    Thanks all. :)
    edited July 2012
    ^^ Would prefer him as Alec Trevelyan
    Sean Bean as Ned Stark would be ace...*hmmm custom minifig idea*
    Maybe a 3-pack of Sharpe, Stark and Boromir (with a 'hard to find' Alec Trevelyan with double-sided face :p Goldeneye joke).
    edited July 2012

... it doesn't pay any more than other retail jobs.

LoL. I could have told you that!

If you buy a lot of Lego, the 30%-50% staff discount supplements the salary nicely, but you aren't allowed to sell it on; it's supposed to be for personal use (and for very close family and friends) only. Did she take the job?