Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Wanted: NIB 7760

wldkrdwldkrd Member Posts: 17
edited June 2012 in Marketplace
I am looking for a new in box #7760 Diesel Shunter Locomotive.

Over the years I have seen a few on eBay, but was not quick enough to react. There are two on BrickLink, but the asking price seems a bit high.

Thanks.

Comments

• prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    If you've only seen a few, it stands to reason they're not widely available and hence the asking price may very well be justified. You're talking about a 32 year old set, after all. There are 41 listed on Bricklink but only 1 that are still sealed (the other "new" one is listed as "complete" but open). It's an old set that didn't have wide release (I never saw ANY train sets in stores when I was a kid in the '80s) so the asking price isn't really high. Personally if anyone has one in a sealed box, I'd recommend they not sell it for less than $3000. After all, the only one presently for sale is pretty much the benchmark against which it can be measured.

@wldkrd Unless you're a collector looking for sealed sets, I'd recommend the $444 one ( http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=brasletty&itemID=3844477 ) since it's got an unused sticker sheet.
  • wldkrdwldkrd Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for your response.

A NIB set was sold on eBay on the 4th of this month in Italy, the winner bid 705 euro, my highest bid was 700 euro, lost in the last couple of seconds. My mistake and I have learned from it, no more half measures.

I purchased a 7760 without the box, instructions, and the sticker sheet about 9 years ago. Recently I have replaced all of the pieces that I could with new pieces and recently with the help of fellow AFOL in Europe, I purchased a new sticker sheet.

My hope was to reach out to the AFOL community and find someone who was willing to sell this great set. I understand that the benchmark on BL is $3000, but I have found with time and a little patience, you can strike gold :)

Thanks for your time and input.

• prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    No problem. I hope I didn't come across as dismissive or anything. Finding a decades-old set in new condition is extremely difficult and the train sets from the 80s were not widely available (at least not in my area; only time/place I ever saw them was in the old mail-order Shop-at-Home catalogs).

Sounds like you missed an extremely good deal, one that I would be surprised to find again. Still, last month I got a non-Lego toy in near-mint condition for 1/3 the minimum going-rate so it's always possible (I didn't expect box condition of near-mint). Good luck!
    Anyone?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,294
    The 7760 Shunter Locomotive was an exercise in cruelty on TLG's part. If you were Canadian, it was on the front of the 1981 Canadian Catalog... smack in the center. However these were never available for sale in USA/Canada. So all those Canadian children saw a model on the front of their catalog that they could never buy in Canada (the USA catalog hd a different layout).
    I didn't know that Lego made trains until my brother sent me the 7740 and the train idea book, that is when I discovered the 7760.
    Anyone?