Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Alien Conquest 7066 'Vic Viper' canopy problem

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,358
edited May 2011 in Everything else LEGO
I've just started building 7066 and (so far) very good it is too.

However, the canopy on the Viper doesn't close properly. After much diagnosis it appears that it the sides are very slighty too deep (I'm guessing 0.5 mm at most) and consequently, at the hinge end, it hits the 1x4 panels beneath and thus the canopy remains ajar. Has anyone else noticed this? I thought about taking a sheet of sandpaper to it (!) but in the end replaced the 1x4 panels with a 1x4 plate and a 1x4 tile each side which leaves space above them for the extra depth of the canopy to go, and the canopy now closes and the fig still fits in.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    I noticed this on the Imperial V-Wing, which uses that same canopy. I didn't think it was due to the height of the canopy itself but due to the fact that it had nothing to clutch to at the front to keep it closed, but now I'll have to take a more in-depth look.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited May 2011
    Built mine yesterday; the canopy is a perfect fit here. I guess there's more variability between 'sections' in a mould than would be desired? My V-Wing is fine too.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,358
    It's not a problem on the v-wing because there's nothing immediately under the back of the canopy, perhaps for good reason...
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Viper? Do you mean the Interceptor shuttle?
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,358
    Probably yes.
  • OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    I don't have any of the above sets. But I do remember the Freeco speeder also not closing as well as I wanted it to. There was a bit of an offset so that the windshield over at the driver's side was not flush. I just thought that this was part of the design, though I was frustrated.