Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Walmart: clearance, 30-50% off HP, PotC, some Star Wars

Comments

• byolegobyolego Member Posts: 114
    When or when will that WM make further reductions to BP? It's still $69, it's been 2 weeks already!!!!
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 672
    My Walmart hasn't reduced anything past 30%. Some of it sold, but a couple of the larger sets were just moved back to the main shelves and don't have a sticker. I'll keep checking every time I find myself there, but not holding my breath.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    In my experience, WM doesn't do progressive discounts like Target. There may be some stores that do, but I have never seen it happen with Lego in any of the stores that I frequent. They basically reduce the set by a certain amount and that's it.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 738
    I was at my local WM yesterday in Iowa and they had 7-8HP Knights Bus and 3 POTC WhiteCap Bays and other POTC sets in their clearance isle. A worker was marking down already clearance stuff and reorganizing, so I decided to ask if Lego was going down in price. She said that this particular store doesn't get much mark-down money so they have to pick and choose what to lower and since Lego sells well...she doesn't mark it down anymore. She said this WM may only get $1,000 a month to spend in further mark-down.
  • ChoochChooch Member Posts: 148
    Had to check out my Walmart - Got the Captain's Quarters for $7 and the PotC Lighthouse was there for $54 but didn't pull the trigger.
  • byolegobyolego Member Posts: 114
    Thanks for the tips. It's good to know how WM works. I guess I just have to decide if I want to get it w/out further markdowns.
  • crnkcrnk Member Posts: 6
    After buying about $300 discounted a few weeks ago (Black Pearl. 3x hogwarts. knight bus. 5x Isla de muerta. 3x forbidden forest. maybe more...) at one store I stopped into another one about 5 miles from it today and they had 2xBP. 3x QAR. 3x Whitecap Bay and a Mill.....At full retail price! The only discount was $25 (10 off) the knight bus in a smashed up box. I'll have to watch this store for discounts once the shelves get a little more full.
    I'm in Houston for what it's worth.
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    Anyone know why WM clearance sets out for half off with a yellow tag but restocks them back at full price? I saw a full price tag ($90) on the Harbour set and while pulling the tag out saw a $45 tag sitting behind it.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ Some people have talked to workers and have heard that each WM has a set amount of "mark down" money. If this is true my guess is they put a bunch of stuff on clearance to move some inventory and when they use up the "mark down" money they put them back to regular price. I frequent the 5 WMs close to me at least once a week and every store is different. The only consistency I've seen in the last 6 months is that right now the stuff on clearance is like ~30% off. Compared to Jan/Feb where most was 50% off but each store varied slightly.
    ^
    Meh, makes sense.
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    The one Wally by me that clearances things had both Hoth bettle packs clearanced for 5.90 each, I picked up a few but they easily still have about 30 of each. last time I checked a few weeks ago they had bumped them back up to 8.90 each.
  • Skyward72Skyward72 Member Posts: 19
    I scored a Falcon, Police Station and Fire station all at 50% off. Weird thing was that this Walmart did not have these sets on the shelves since Xmas. Guess these were found in the back.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    One of the Walmarts just dropped the price on their remaining HP and POTC sets from about 30% to 50%. Another one had not but all they had left was the Knight bus at $25.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ The one in Anchorage Alaska?
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    No, eastern North Carolina. Sorry!
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    edited June 2012
    I
    No, eastern North Carolina. Sorry!
    Where in Eastern NC? I only found one WM in the area with decent discounts and it was clearly store specific.

• mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    Be aware that Walmart is also putting out open box return Lego sets on clearance. My wife got so excited about seeing a Batmobile set on clearance for $20 that she bought it for me. When I got home I saw that the box had clearly been opened and re-sealed (not to mention being beat to hell). I opened it up to find that actually no bricks to the set were included. Instead was a mishmash of bricks and other non-Lego crap. The most interesting piece was a Ninjago, Ice Dragon head. Anyway, it's going back. I would of kept it if the rest of the Ninjago dragon was included.
  • bsiu922bsiu922 SF Bay Area, CAMember Posts: 439
    edited June 2012
    I found it is typical in Walmart and Kmart recently. i have seen Hotwheels and Matchbox get swapped with some cheap die cast car and sealed with a tape. at one of the kmart, I can still see the return tag on the cardboard. I m not sure if "someone" swapped out lego stuff. Last time when i get clearance lego from Walmart. First time i checked if the box is sealed or someone opened it before!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,175
    ^ Weird as someone else found IF at Lego [email protected] recently. $260 though sounds like a manager knows the Lego collectors market too well.
    Walmart was selling these online for $260 when they were still in production.. why? I'm not sure, but they had these online for $260, which is one reason why they were one of the few to still have them until they finally dropped the price right before they sold out.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,175
    Every Walmart by me is either cleared out, or no sales at all...
    One by me had PoTC Whitecap bay for full price and had 5 of them. the very next week they were gone (I presume they were put on sale).. Walmart is no rhyme or reason as to their clearance. you are either lucky and find stuff, or not.. there really is no method of them discounting.. I think the Whitecaps were clearance'd just to make room for LoTR, but the funny thing was that all other PoTC was still in stock and regular price.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    Found quite a few clarance sets at Walmarts in Baker & Zachary, LA last weekend....
    Will be flying back there on Tues night/Wed morning. Dad had a massive heart attack but I am having hip surgery Monday....whew! Too much going on

City 3368 $35 (left 2 on shelf, now I wish I had grabbed them)
    HP 4865 $4
    POTC 4191 $5
    POTC 4192 $8
    SW 7930 $20 (last one)
    SW 8083 $4
    SW 8084 $4
    SW 8085 $15
    SW 8089 $9 (last one)
  • andystarandystar Member Posts: 275
    edited June 2012
    Hit an out of the way Walmart today and I noticed some of the clearance tags had "week 21. 6/18/2012" printed on them so these could be another round of discounts, grabbed the SW Clone Turbo Tank they had along with some QAR and HP Castles. Discounts ranged from 40%-60% off. I left the 5 or 6 Whitecap Bays they had for $45..... any thoughts on it?
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    where?
  • Skyward72Skyward72 Member Posts: 19
    Hit an out of the way Walmart today and I noticed some of the clearance tags had "week 21. 6/18/2012" printed on them so these could be another round of discounts, grabbed the SW Clone Turbo Tank they had along with some QAR and HP Castles. Discounts ranged from 40%-60% off. I left the 5 or 6 Whitecap Bays they had for $45..... any thoughts on it?

I would have bought them all!

• jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    Be aware that Walmart is also putting out open box return Lego sets on clearance. My wife got so excited about seeing a Batmobile set on clearance for $20 that she bought it for me. When I got home I saw that the box had clearly been opened and re-sealed (not to mention being beat to hell). I opened it up to find that actually no bricks to the set were included. Instead was a mishmash of bricks and other non-Lego crap. The most interesting piece was a Ninjago, Ice Dragon head. Anyway, it's going back. I would of kept it if the rest of the Ninjago dragon was included.
    A coworker told me that the WalMart by him has a bunch of Marvel/DC sets in the clearance row. I asked if he was for sure since they are new and he said the were under a clearance banner. I won't be able to check on it til Wednesday tho.
  • andystarandystar Member Posts: 275
    ^^^ North Conway, NH
  • dotknottdotknott Member Posts: 30
    Headed to two WMs yesterday, the first in Attleboro MA (which had NOTHING in clearance) and the one in Providence RI. Providence had PotC and Cars on clearance. There was one Creator set, but I forget which one it was. There was a bunch of one of the small HP sets.. again. I don't remember which one

City 3182 $79
    POTC 4195 $79
    POTC 4194 $54
    POTC 4183 $30
    POTC 4191 $7
    Oh. It's worth adding that if your local WM doesn't put stickers on the clearance legos (like the one in PVD) if you have an iPhone, you can download the walmart app which has a barcode scanner. You tell it what store you're in, scan the barcode, and it tells you the price. It worked fine on the clearance items and gave me the same price that the wall mounted scanner gave me on each one.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    ^Nice tip, thanks!
    ^^ Will have to try that. Getting tired of the WMs near me always having a broken or missing scanner closest to toys. It almost seems intentional. One store actually had one on in the toys section that was working fine for months then one day it was just gone. Made my clearance searching harder.
    Appears the Android WM app doesn't have the barcode scanning yet. It's "coming soon".
    ^^ Crumbs. Well, keep an eye out for the update.. It's nice to have.
    Yeah I'm hoping "soon" actually means soon and not next year or something.
  • adol7adol7 Member Posts: 150
    Went to Stockton, CA's Super Walmart on Hammer Lane today. Their toy clearance areas are spread out in 4 or so little areas. I saw and left the following:
    4x 4182 (PotC Cannibal Escape) @ $21
    1x 4842 (HP Castle) @ $90
    3x 4867 (HP Hogwarts) @ $35
    1x 4866 (HP Bus) @ $25
    2x 7326 (PQ Rise of Sphinx) @ $39
    The Hogwarts Castle box is pretty beat up, but it looks sealed and there's a security wire on it. Its aisle is further down by the bicycles.
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    @dotknott: Thank you for the tip about the Walmart app as well!
    edited June 2012
    The WM app isn't working on the Android? Need it noooooow.

Would be cool if you could just keep a list of scanned items and keep checking for price changes from home.
  • malachirobertsonmalachirobertson Indiana, USAMember Posts: 268
    If anyone is interested . . . I saw the QAR and BP still available in the toy clearance at the southern South Bend, IN Walmart. Listed as $79 and $69 respectively. I didn't scan them, but my guess is that those are the correct prices since my other scans matched the shelf label.
    @lulwut I can on the iPhone. I'm not sure if thats on the android app. The only problem is that you don't see the clearance price unless you scan it at the store.
    ^ How would the app know that you're standing at home and not at the store, assuming you're scanning a photo of the barcode? Or I am missing something obvious here (which I'm sure I am since they would not want you to do that)?
    ^ Location services I imagine.
    As far as I can tell in the Android app it uses gps to find the nearest stores and then you chose one. Doesn't appear to be checking to see if you're actually in proximity of a store. So you could just take photos with your phone of all the bar codes you're interested in, print them and then scan them with the app to keep checking. I already have photos of a bunch of barcodes so I can scan them off my phone at the WMs that have the newer barcode scanners. Don't have to carry product around to scan.
    ^NICE!
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    This works great with the iPhone app. I can sit from home and find the stores which have the discounts. I'll post a guide here shortly. The only thing missing is an easy store inventory search (working on that).
    ^ Yeah I was kinda upset that the store inventory search wasn't so great. And the store isn't that helpful. They basically told me that "if you can find it, we've got it in stock" when I asked about the HP castle set. gee, thanks.

I did stumble across the OTHER clearance aisle today during my searches... (not the toy clearance aisle) This seemed to be where all the clearance stuff in WM went to die a slow forgotten death. image
    Found 3 SW 7958s in there and an opened black pearl. (didn't bite and any of em' but they were there.) Maybe if such a graveyard exists in your WM, it's worth taking a look.
    ^ Is that the BP on the floor at the bottom right? :)
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 808
    This would never be a picture of an aisle at a Target store! Wow, what a classic photo of Wal-Mart! It looks as if the items on the left side of the aisle are jumping to their death to escape this Wal-Mart.
    The major difference between Target and Walmart is that target stocks a smaller variety of everything and keeps it on their shelves for a long time where as WM tries to stock as much as possible of everything and tries to move as much of it as possible. So in the case of this aisle they are probably starting to clear out areas and have no where to go with it all yet because they haven't started clearancing out the summer beach/garden stuff that would then make more shelf room for this other random stuff. So yeah it looks bad but it's clearance "crap" for the most part and they'll re-arrange stuff when they have room. I visit my local walmarts 3-4 times a week and I've never not seen at least 10 workers around the store moving stock and re-labeling shelves.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    A couple of years ago Walmart attempted to clean up their stores to be more "upscale". Turns out that people who shop at Walmart like clutter. Sales actually went down. People think they are getting more for their money when crap is literally laying on the floor or piled to the ceiling.

My favorite thing to see are the corroded car batteries sitting in shopping carts at the return department. Walmart takes back anything that was purchased there as long as you have a receipt (used to be even without a receipt but they wised up). Like I said earlier, my wife bought an open box return Batman Lego set on clearance. Turned out to not have a single piece from the original set. Instead was a mishmash of other Lego elements (including an Ninjago Ice Dragon head) and other non-Lego crap. I doubt they even bothered to look at the contents of the box.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    A couple of years ago Walmart attempted to clean up their stores to be more "upscale". Turns out that people who shop at Walmart like clutter. Sales actually went down. People think they are getting more for their money when crap is literally laying on the floor or piled to the ceiling.
    O! The humanity!

I was in a WM yesterday and overheard a mom and dad arguing with the manager because a bike they had brought in to be serviced was on the rack for sale, "rusty spokes 'n' all!" I politely left so as not to offend them with my guffawing. I'm sure the 3 AC sets will still be there when I go back by. The open box Hogwarts was at 30% and they wouldn't come down at the time.