Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

AFOL meeting in London (UK)

Comments

• luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    edited May 2012
    ^ yes! And no doubt his team will be delighted if I start trying to part out shiny dark orange bricks from a Town Hall!
  • JP82JP82 Member Posts: 45
    Consider the store team aware!!! ;)
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,973
    ^Does this mean they will put on a spread for us? Sandwiches and lego :-).

6.30 is fine for me see you then.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    ^cheese and macaroni?
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,973
    In sandwiches eghh no! Honey and marmite thats where its at :-)
    @JP82 Excellent! Can you rustle up some juicy Grab Bags? :O)
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    Oki, I suggest the following agenda:

We meet Thursday 14 June at 7.00 PM in the cafe Ca Puccino outside of Westfield (for detailed directions see below).

Around 8.00 PM, we move to the Lego store for an indefinite amount of time (I guess most will be bored after 30 minutes) before we move on to a nearby pub/restaurant/location close by. We can determine that location either on the day, or here in the thread if anybody has a good suggestion.

It would be great to know how many people are coming, so please confirm/commit.

If you can't make it before 8 PM but want to join us in the pub, please let it be known so we'll work something out.

I'm looking forward to getting to know fellow AFOLs, which is what the event is about for me. I'd like to avoid creating the impression that purchasing/sale/exchange or anything is mandatory. Every AFOL should be welcome.

Directions to the Ca Puccino:
    The Westfield web site also has a guide (note that Ca Puccino is at LG 7, not as incorrectly noted at LG 5).

If you come from Shepherds Bush tube (Central line), railway or bus station, follow the path north to Westfield. The Ca Puccino is outside on the Southern Terrace, just behind the second entrance to the interior mall (the first being the one leading into House of Fraser). I'll try to reserve a table on the second floor and have something about Lego on the desk.

Alternatively, you can also take a tube to Shepherds Bush Market or Wood Lane (both Hammersmith & City and Circle lines) or White City (Central line). If you come by car, Westfield has a car park as well. I don't know the current rates, but three hours of visit can easily accumulate to GBP 7, so be warned. Shepherds Bush is also part of the Boris Bike scheme.
    Super, thanks again for the great organisation @mressin, looking fwd to meeting you!

Is anyone going to Westfield for June 3? It would be great if the pub we go to after has a nice big round table - for you know what :o) If anyone was prepared to do a little location scouting for a suitable giant table for 14, that would be awesome.

Folk sounded keen on a parts draft style thing but I agree no-one should feel they have to join in. I thought making it a kitty thing rather than everyone buying the same set could make it more flexible in terms of keeping costs down?
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Definitely going to have to sit this one out, but hope you all have a great time.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    I am definitely coming, should be there by 7. Can't wait!! Really looking forward to meeting new and familiar faces alike :-)

^^ I like the the 'money in the kitty' option for a parts draft, but would prefer it if it was only a fiver really...
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,653
    I still hope to be able to join you all; I'm happy to participate in a parts draft if it goes ahead.
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 579
    I'm in, for both the event and the parts draft.
  • ThezoofoxThezoofox United Kingdom - EastMember Posts: 188
    Almost certainly in for both. Looking forward to not facing scorn for enjoining LEGO at 30.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,922
    Just seeing if logistics will permit my attendance:Is anyone from the M3 corridor going, leaving late afternoon to get there? I have no intention of driving all the way or of forking out for the train from Southampton but if someone nearer London was taking public transport to get there I could drive to their house and go with them :-)
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I'm planning to go in from Dorking, but it's probably a bit out of your way - shame we don't know anyone who lives in Slough ...
  • ThezoofoxThezoofox United Kingdom - EastMember Posts: 188
    This still happening?
    edited June 2012
    Of course, in three days. Who's definitely coming?
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 579
    I'm a def-in-it.
    I'll be there.
  • trax_3trax_3 Member Posts: 66
    Will also be there
    me too
    Great! Looking forward to seeing you there. For details, please refer to my post from 23 May. Since it looks as if we will not be one-and-a-half dozen people after all, I won't try to reserve an extra-big table at Ca Puccino after all. I'll be there from 7 PM on, will probably have a laptop on the table, and will put something Lego on the table as well. I'll also PM my phone no. to anybody who I know will be coming.

Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow! :)
    I plan to be there but am still negotiating babysitting duties
    I owe some of you stuff from Roland's large consignment which he sent to me so I'll try and bring it along. Anything else I'm supposed to be bringing for anyone ?
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    Hoping to be there, but won't know for sure until immediately beforehand.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    Far too busy with house stuff unfortunately otherwise might well have made an effort.

^^ Doc, hopefully you have some goodies for me from Ro? If so, please could you let Lucy have them and she and I can catch up whenever. :-)

Thank you.
    Anyone expecting to be there before 7? I will if I get away on time.
  • trax_3trax_3 Member Posts: 66
    I should be there by 6.30 as my place of work is only a 15 minute tube ride away.
    Cool. I will put my empty PAB cups on my table to identify myself!
    Hoping to be there, but won't know for sure until immediately beforehand.
    Please let me know ASAP @bluemoose; if you're coming I'll bring your MBA stuff etc., otherwise I'd rather not lug it down to London.
    Doc, hopefully you have some goodies for me from Ro? If so, please could you let Lucy have them and she and I can catch up whenever. :-).
    Sure.
    Ditto Bluemoose and I'll bring the stuff iou .. i think im coming btw
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    When I said 'immediately beforehand', I really did mean 'immediately beforehand' - I won't know until about 6:30 if I can make it or not.

Dr.D - we'll be at the NSC as visitors, so it will be easier to get the bits off you there?
    Si - I'll bring your bits to work with me, on the expectation that I can make it.
    ^ Ah, OK. I now don't know if I'll be able to make NSC, so I'll try and bring your stuff tonight and hope for the best...
    @DrDaveWatford and @Bluemoose - If necessary, could I perhaps help? I'll be there tonight and going to NSC on the Saturday. Is the stuff really bulky or heavy though :-S ?
    Ok, doesnt look like ill be able to make it. My son poked me i the eye last night and am currently in tbe docs as i cant see very well. @bluemoose, if you want to drop my minifigswith someone whos going to bikes and bricks (lucy?) I can drop yours in the post
  • JessyDooDahJessyDooDah UK Member Posts: 228
    I'll be there tonight too! Should get to the cafe by 7, but work is particularly hectic today!
    I might be dragging my flatmate Andy along too, he is a huge Lego enthusiast! He dragged me out of my dark age!
    If anyone attending has any spare droid heads, please bring them along, I am happy to buy or trade! Jess :)
    ^ Oh Jess, too late! I have a spare droid head that I could've brought! Next time, then :)
  • stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
    Enjoy your evening folks.....I will have to start on my R2 whilst quaffing some wine a mere 500 miles away!
    I ought to be able to make it too - now hoping to be back in London about 6 pm ish. No droid heads, but I do have Peter Parker with me (spidey sense tingling).

@Si, ouch - hope the vision recovers quickly and doesn't affect your ability to build...
    ^ Thanks - my actual vision's OK apparently, I just need to keep both eyes closed for about half the time which, although it would be a cheaper way of shopping in the Lego store, would be darned inconvenient whilst getting off trains etc.

Hope you all have a great time.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, have a good time people, will be at the next one!

Did you guys decide to do a 'parts draft' of some sort?
    Was thinking you could do it with grab bags, quite a cheap option.. :)
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^^ Surely having one open and one closed, then switching would be a less risky approach?
    I'm upstairs at Ca Puccino now, wearing a red pullover and have a PaB cup on the table.
    And just now, a guy came in who _might_ have been an AFOL, but I think he didn't see the cup.
    Ok, and the first LegoAFOLs have found their way to me! :)
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,922
    Keep those of us who couldn't make it informed of what's going on!
    On the train, ETA around 8-ish; if I don't make the cafe by 8 I'll go straight to the store.
    Who's wearing a Carnation?
    We're just hanging out in the cafe at present, so not much so far. Nice turnout though guys!
    I think given this is the next official Brickset meetup since TLS, we ought to be treated to photos and updates of what's being discussed.