Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Star Wars Reboots: Good or Bad?

hans_olohans_olo Member Posts: 5
edited May 2011 in Everything else LEGO
I just want to go out and say that I really like Lego's recent trend of rebooting older SW sets. The updated Slave I is absolutley incredible and the last iteration of the AT-AT did the vehicle justice. Even the Juggernaut (Turbo Tank for those not into SW) looks better. The updated Scimitar (Maul's ship) looks even better than the 2007 version and a parsec (haha, see what i did there?) better than the 1999 version. However, I do see the negative in this trend, as Lego is cutting the originality factor and appealing more to the younger crowd who weren't around to see the first versions of these sets. This, though, cuts creativity and halts the production of completely new vehicles each time a wave hits.

Comments

• OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    As I have said in their survey, I'll only buy them if they look better. And they tend to look better, indeed.

Maybe in the future, we'll see a book that shows the evolution of these vehicles in detail. The pictures in the current visual dictionary are too small to be well appreciated by any reader IMO. But it gives us a glimpse of all those past sets.
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    I don't really like a lot of the new Starwars sets. Just a lot of priced-up remakes with a handfull of random new minifigs. Sure the designs slowly get better... but sets like the Slave and AT-AT haven't seen much change. So why spend more money to get the same set I already own previous versions of? I'm not made of money and I'm open to buying other themes. Comparing the old Grevious shuttle to the new one has only one pro; new version has a great minifigure (and two random guys). Otherwise I payed $20 for the old one and $50 for the new one... mind you the sizes are pretty close.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,315
    edited May 2011
    As a collector who already has the old sets, I find it hard to get excited about remakes unless they are a significant improvement on what went before. Which they often aren't. I can however see why younger fans without all the old sets would LOVE the LEGO policy of remaking sets.....

I actually blogged about this a while back; if you're interested you can read the posting at http://gimmelego.blogspot.com/2010/09/deja-vu.html
  • acedogg77acedogg77 Member Posts: 110
    As my son has just got head on in to a lego obsession, I'm pretty glad of them, given some of the crazy prices the older sets go for, I did manage to grab the original Naboo Fighter for a reasonable price on ebay recently. But things like the Millenium Falcon redux that's forthcoming are appreciated.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    As much as I hate seeing repetitive versions of the same sets, the new XWings and Republic Gunship blow their predecessors out of the water.
  • TalasAntaresTalasAntares Member Posts: 124
    While I agree that many of the remakes look better and appear to have better designs, I have many of the original sets and consider them "classics" much the same as the original pre-special edition trilogy films. I may wind up buying a few of the new ones all the same, but they are definitely lower on the priority list...
  • PaulTRPaulTR Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2011
    I like alot of sets from what I consider the "solid years" (2005 to 2007); however, I must admit some of the remakes do look better, especially the re-done Episode 3 sets. They were a breath of fresh air from those cheap original versions. But on the other hand, while I do like the remake's new color scheme and cool new figs, the 2005-2007 sets have a simple authenticity to them; there were hardly any gimicky "action features" to be found amongst them, and they (for the most part) were well-priced.

So, in my opinion, the re-makes are cool, but just don't have that "old school" feel to them. But on the other hand (I'm running out of hands here!), all you AAFOLs probably look at the 1990s sets as the "old school" stuff, so we would probably disagree on the definition of "old school". Sorry, I was only 6 when the Star Wars line showed up in '99, so I can't really feel nostalgic for the early sets :)
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,375
    I think the re-issues are a great thing for several reasons:

1 – The models now are so much better that earlier ‘classic’ ones. The X-Wing is a great example. The 1999 original was great but the colours were quite dull and it was light on detailing. But the scale and complexity of the current (albeit a few years old now) model (6212) blows it away, the same for the Millennium Falcon and the Slave One, in fact I almost challenge anyone to find an example where the updated version is worse than the original, which must be a good thing.

2 – The re-issues give new fans of Lego and SW who emerge each year (and those that didn’t by them the first time round, like me… sooo buying the new Falcon and Republic Cruiser later in the year) the chance to buy core models without having to visit the dreaded eBay to buy discontinued ones and that is a great thing.

3 – I am guessing a little here (and am doing so based on my understanding of how other companies such as Hasbro work with their SW licences) but I suspect the popularity of these reissues coupled with their current pricing models act as a sound financial platform allowing Lego to produce some of the smaller or more quirky SW Lego models (the current V Wing for example or the upcoming Dathomir Speeder (or even Advent Calendar)) or the exclusive models (those that are subsidised by third party company’s) so their continued presence and popularity allow for and in part subsidise other models that might not otherwise get made or financially stand on their own two feet.

For balance the only real negative about these re-issues is the price. As the sets have gotten more complex (and better) the prices have shot up. For example I think the original X-Wing was about £20 the current is £45 and by the end of the year there will be at least 8 SW Lego sets over £100 (Turbo Tank, Venator Class Republic Ship, Millennium Falcon, Republic Cruiser, UC Super Star Destroyer, Death Star, Tantive IV & Republic Dropship) of which 4 are re-issues, but no one is forcing me to buy them… I just want to.

So price aside I think the re-issue aren’t just a good think but an essential part of the whole SW Lego line continuing.