Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Star Wars Battle Packs

Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
edited June 2012 in Collecting
In light of the recent rejection of the Star Wars Dark Bucket by Lego, I was wondering if people like what Lego is doing currently with their Battle Packs. I personally think Lego should do their Battle Packs along the same lines as Gallob did with their Star Wars Micro Machines Action Fleet line. I loved the Action Fleet line and I would gladly buy Lego Star Wars Battle Packs if they were done in a similar fashion. One thing that is lacking from the current Battle Packs is a quality vehicle and or creature. I would to have a Sandtrooper Battle Pack a Dewback and assorted Sandtroopers/Stormtroopers or Tusken Raider Battle Pack with a Bantha and assorted Sandpeople.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 783
    I think as mentioned in the comments on home page LEGO are in danger of falling into the action figure business. I believe this is why the Endor battle pack contains two "sides" so there is play ability in the set.
  • zjygkmattzjygkmatt Member Posts: 75
    edited June 2012
    Im glad the dark bucket was rejected. Seemed too greedy.
    I also like the battlepacks. Its obviously about the minifigures. Look at similar copies other companies like Mega Blocks is trying to do for their battlepacks, they look horrible with just the minifigure and accessories.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    I would love if Lego would create every character in the Star Wars Universe. I know they don't want to get "into the action figure business" but the Lego Minifigure is the most popular of any Lego element. The Collectible Minifigures have been a huge success. The only way I see Lego even coming close to creating every character is by doing battle packs.
    I thought the Dark Bucket was ridiculous.
  • ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    I agree with @Pitfall69, the battle packs do lack abit of quality on the vehicles.

The 7913 battle pack's vehicle is quite nice, only one that I like out of all.

And I find it slightly over priced for 4 figs and 1 vehicle..
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,012
    Every OT battlepack seems obligated to have some form of speeder bike, even for scenes where no such vehicle was seen (snow bike speeder?).
    BELTRAD
    They have to do that because of licensing, but that doesn't mean they can't put an appropriate vehicle in the set.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    Very pleased the dark bucket was rejected. This is lego, you build and make things. Action figures are well taken care of elsewhere.
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,379
    Very pleased the dark bucket was rejected. This is lego, you build and make things. Action figures are well taken care of elsewhere.
    Yes. I'm as big a LEGO minifigure collector as they come, but at the end of the day I'd prefer LEGO to continue to present themselves as a company that produces sets where you build and make things, and not turn into an action figure company.
    I agree. I love minifigures too. I like the idea of the battle packs because they include something you can build, but at least make it specific to the scene. I like Droid Escape, but ditch the speeder bike and maybe include another sandtrooper or just ditch the speeder bike and lower the cost. I think $19.99 for that is too high.
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    The Dark Bucket was stupid... and every person who supported it inevitably helped Lego shove a dagger in the heart of the person who submitted it. Good for a laugh anyway.

Battle Packs are fine the way they are. In Canada they've gone up to $15.99 for no reason. Frankly I could care less about the stupid vehicles. I don't get to buy many Starwars sets these days because of the prices, so when I buy the battle packs all I'm looking for are the figures. I love getting a bunch of different figures, the recent Clone Wars battle pack was probably the best one I've purchased yet. I'm not trying to come off as someone who hates building, but I'm not stupidly ignoring the fact that minifigures are the currency of Lego... anyone who disagrees with that really has no right to call themself a collector. Minifigures are all about ($) value... yeah, coming from me, who hates re-sellers.
    I mentioned that the Lego Minifigure is the most popular element of Lego. Lego does understand our need for more Stormtroopers/Snowtroopers/Sandtroopers and I think they have made a decent effort to supply us with them I just think they could do a better job with the battle packs.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    The Dark Bucket was stupid... and every person who supported it inevitably helped Lego shove a dagger in the heart of the person who submitted it. Good for a laugh anyway.

Battle Packs are fine the way they are. In Canada they've gone up to $15.99 for no reason. Frankly I could care less about the stupid vehicles. I don't get to buy many Starwars sets these days because of the prices, so when I buy the battle packs all I'm looking for are the figures. I love getting a bunch of different figures, the recent Clone Wars battle pack was probably the best one I've purchased yet. I'm not trying to come off as someone who hates building, but I'm not stupidly ignoring the fact that minifigures are the currency of Lego... anyone who disagrees with that really has no right to call themself a collector. Minifigures are all about ($) value... yeah, coming from me, who hates re-sellers.
    I'm not going to comment on your comments, which I mostly agree with. But seriously, why the overt hostility and confrontational attitude? What's the point of that?

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I mentioned that the Lego Minifigure is the most popular element of Lego. Lego does understand our need for more Stormtroopers/Snowtroopers/Sandtroopers and I think they have made a decent effort to supply us with them I just think they could do a better job with the battle packs.
    which brings up the question, which is better:
    old style battlepacks, where the 4 figs were all the same faction, OR
    new style battlepacks, where there are 2 of each "side"

as someone who doesn't care about minifigs at all, except as a way to help me acquire a ton of free or very cheap actually building elements, I honestly don't know the answer. I would suspect most army builders would prefer the old style, and they can more specifically target the faction they want, without ending up with a bunch of rebels or battle droids or whatever that they don't want.

I would think 4 figures of the same faction. Then you can choose to boost your Stormtrooper army or Rebel Fleet Trooper army or whatever.
    Again, the Battle Packs don't have to be "army builders" per se. I would love a Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes Battle Pack. There were 7 including D'an. One pack could feature 4 minifures and something small to build and another can feature 3 with a build able stage.
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    Again, the Battle Packs don't have to be "army builders" per se. I would love a Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes Battle Pack. There were 7 including D'an. One pack could feature 4 minifures and something small to build and another can feature 3 with a build able stage.
    They all look the same so you would just make it where its 4 figures and a mini stage that if you put two stages together, makes a full size stage.

Yeah, that would be better. Im just thinking out loud. This is the reason I started the discussion :)
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    Also for the other question, I prefer 4 of a side. In the case of the new endor set you need way more Stormies and scout troopers then you do rebel troopers if you are making the scene. I'd also like to see them do something like I said with the band figures, where you can connect multiple packs together to make something bigger. For example have 3 Stormies and a Death star trooper come with a small section of hall, then you can combine like 4 of them and make a decent little hallway scene. Add a Han running at them and boom, fun scene from the movie made along with battle packs people want. The Neg of battle packs is you wont get solo char. like Thrawn of a new Fleshie Biggs figure. Only way on that is the idea of making polybag style CMFs, where you could have a small (20ish) brick set to go with it. A simulator for Biggs or Wedge, some art thing for Thrawn, holotable for Chewie, Rock formation for a tuskan raider, a droid for a jawa ect ect.

You'd only get like 4-6 sets a year this way but it would be an awesome way to get someone that doesnt fit in a set (not that that has ever stopped lego recently, but EH.
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    What was the dark bucket?
    Check the Brickset Home page
    ^^When I get back in town, I think I'll make something in LDD for that. I've done a couple projects, and I'd love to take a shot at making connectable battlepacks. Actually already have an idea in mind.
    Hasbro has done something similar with their action figures. I have a few of the Cantina Sets that featured a section of bar with 3 characters and you put each section together to form the entire Cantina bar.

http://www.rebelscum.com/OTCsscantinaII.asp
    http://www.rebelscum.com/OTCsscantinaI.asp
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,759
    So you expect them to make two different sets, one with three figures and one with four figures - all exactly the same? They only issue a limited number of sets per year and you would essentially waste one by having two virtually identical sets.

I said after, that i was just thinking out loud. I know it would be silly.
    The Cantina scene in A New Hope has got to be the most memorable scenes in all the Star Wars movies, yet Lego only made one small set. Im sure you could make small sets and include 3 figures. These sets could be joined together to make an entire cantina, but you probably would be short a few characters, so that's why a Battle Pack may be necessary.

Remember, these are just ideas and this is a discussion. An idea or no matter how silly or out of the box is welcome.
    edited June 2012
    Definitely need separate faction battlepacks. In every OT battle scene bar Hoth, the rebel infantry seen is hopelessly outnumbered by the imperials.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    edited June 2012
    I think battlepacks are fine as they are in terms of size, price etc however would prefer to see same side battlepacks as per the 2010 hoth sets though what I would like to see is slightly better fig selection, the rebel hoth set had that pilot, zev? I really don't need multiples of him. I think as was mentioned re the driod escape set before, perhaps the next band of sets priced at 20gbp/25gbp represent a good point to have a larger style battlepack with reduced piece count and even more figs (6-8 maybe), though you always have to ask what do the kiddies want as that is always the overiding consideration of TLG and rightly so, as mentioned earlier a massive set with thousands of pieces will always take preference over 100 figs in a bucket just in terms of perception of value for money if nothing else. I am also in agreement that battlepack sets that can be bought seperatly and combined together is an excellent idea we have seen some elements of this with LOTR and the helms deep and small wall set. I personally think if done well this could be a nice earner for TLG as a lot of us have that ”got to have them all mentality”.
    The older castle theme had small sets that you could attach to an existing castle. They had a castle siege set and blacksmith set that you could attach to make a bigger castle. I thought it was a great idea back then. It's nice that they did the same with LotR. It can be done with Star Wars as well.
    The Cantina scene in A New Hope has got to be the most memorable scenes in all the Star Wars movies, yet Lego only made one small set.
    Vader vs Obi Wan is more memorable for me from Ep IV, and probably more iconic.

Of all the films, probably Vader vs Luke, with Palpatine watching, and Vader then throwing Palpatine.
    CCC: That WAS one of the most iconic scenes until Lucas made his Blu ray addition (no, nooooo!)
    Understandable, but everyone knows the Cantina Band Song. They have written books about the Cantina and its patrons. Obi Wan severing Ponda Babas arm was gruesome at the time. The much talked about scene when Han Solo killed Greedo..."Who shot first?" In all fairness, the Cantina was more than just one scene, it was several scenes. Most people misquote when Vader announces he is Lukes father. If it were so memorable, then why is it one of the most misquoted lines in movie history?

Of course this is my opinion. A cantina would make a much better play set with infinite posibilties. You throw Palpatine down the shaft you are done. You sever Lukes hand and say the iconic line and show is over. You can return to the cantina over and over again.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    We're overdue for an expandable Cantina set as well as an expandable Cloud City set. And a Dagobah set. All the other major places have been covered in the recent past -- Death Star (both versions), Hoth, Endor, and Jabba's Palace.

When you put each of the Hoth and Endor main sets plus add-ons together, including the battle packs, you get a relatively decent smattering of figs to stage a battle. I happen to have the old Biker Scouts from early on as well, so I ended up with quite the army of Biker Scouts. One Imperial Dropship later and I now have a decent set of Stormtroopers as well. (I don't need a dozen, just a handful will do.

But hey, that's just me.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,150
    I would love if Lego would create every character in the Star Wars Universe. I know they don't want to get "into the action figure business" but the Lego Minifigure is the most popular of any Lego element. The Collectible Minifigures have been a huge success. The only way I see Lego even coming close to creating every character is by doing battle packs.
    Agreed that they should do every figure, or at least almost, every figure in the universe.. but for ones that are lesser known or not as 'action oriented' I would say that they need to put those at least in the advent calendars... Maybe Aunt Beru, a few of the Aliens in the Cantina scene, or in Jabba's Palace. But make the Calendars a bit more sought after and be able to produce figures you may not be able to get in the SW set lines.

Yes, the calendars would be a good way to sneak in a new figure.
  • tvihtvih Member Posts: 92
    The battle packs... I just can't help feeling that they're overpriced! Like the Endor one is 18-19 euros, ugh. And I wish there was a battle pack that would give 2 or more regular stormtroopers for a decent price. There used to be the Dropship, but that's not available anymore now that I'm back from my "dark age".

As a concept the battle packs are fine I think, they didn't go by that name back then but such minifig packs obviously existed long ago - I had one for Pirates and one for Castle in the early '90s or so.
    The new battlepacks are crap - I want loads of Storm troopers and a smattering of Imperial scouts - I don't want the equivalent number of Rebel Endor Troops to match though! I do have about 20 unopened Endor battlepacks I ended up getting for next to nowt, do I sell them whole on Fleabay for about £8 or crack open the packs, have plenty of Imperials, and materials for building a few trees, and then sell the Endor Rebels separately? Probably. It would have been so much easier to have has an Imperial pack with 2 Stormys, 1 Scout on a bike and another scout on foot or possibly an imperial officer in black.
    ^ If you want to get rid of them, I'll swap you five packs for a 9395 technic pickup.
    CCC: i'm wanting to keep them for the imperials and the tree parts. I could pass some Endor Rebel troops loose and/or any combination of either 9488 Elite commando pack or Hoth Rebel packs (unopened).
    ^ It's OK. I was only really after the imperial troops / scouts too.
  • ThegoThego UKMember Posts: 264
    sell the Endor Rebels separately?
    What sort of price would you be looking at for them?
    Thego: PM'd.
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    I like these mini sets that came at the beginning of Lego's Star Wars sets. If you had a bunch of Lego brick you could build them into more of a display. Pitfall69's idea of more mini sets is a good one. Han and Greedo in a booth at the Cantina would be a great mini set.
    http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7200-1
    http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7201-1
    http://www.rebelscum.com/Kenner/PS-CreatureCantina/header.jpg

Even back in 1979 Kenner released a Cantina play set and it was one of my favorite sets as a kid.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 672
    The whole point of the Dark Bucket was to get a Stormtrooper army builder set. 99 Stormtroopers in a bucket was total overkill. Only hardcore fans would want that. Then, if it came out, they'd want Rebel Troopers. Then Hoth Rebel Troopers. And Endor. And Snowtroopers and Scout troopers. Then it would get into Clones. It would be insanity all around.

A $20 battlepack with a decent vehicle (or little outpost!) and 6 troopers would be fantastic. Six would be a perfect number of troops for a moderate fan, and hardcore fans would be free to buy a dozen copies.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    http://www.rebelscum.com/Kenner/PS-CreatureCantina/header.jpg

Even back in 1979 Kenner released a Cantina play set and it was one of my favorite sets as a kid.
    That set rocked. Loved it as a kid.

• SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    I would love to see a £20 set with 8 figures in, I would buy that! I think maybe every so often Lego should this BIG back of battlepacks, maybe include some of the older ones
    ^^When I get back in town, I think I'll make something in LDD for that. I've done a couple projects, and I'd love to take a shot at making connectable battlepacks. Actually already have an idea in mind.
    I saw your project on Eurobricks

edited July 2012
    I saw your project on Eurobricks

Yes, that's what I came up with. Any thoughts?
    That is exactly what i was talking about. Instead of a useless vehicle that doesn't fit the scene, you have created a scene. Fantastic. Post your link and/or pics