Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego 10226 Sopwith Camel

2»

Comments

• sherwinlsherwinl Member Posts: 12
    The Sopwith Camel video is out, by Jamie

youtube.com/watch?v=8e9EmCobfos
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,914
    edited May 2012
    I regret what I said about the dark green earlier. After seeing the video, I love the colour! Amazing set, but don't know if I will purchase or not.

Oh and I downloaded the video just in case LEGO decides to pull it again.
  • TekkamanRaidenTekkamanRaiden Member Posts: 4
    I was going to pass on this set but after seeing the video I've charged my mind.
  • adello25adello25 U.S.A.Member Posts: 361
    I was going to pass on this set but after seeing the video I've charged my mind.
    I feel the exact same way!
  • mrfootballmrfootball Member Posts: 84
    Going to get this set the day it comes out! Beautiful model!
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    NO NOT STICKERS!!! sigh.. I still really like this so the stickers won't bother me. He pointed at the front and said 1x1 brown slopes but I'm assuming he was talking about the 1x4 "wing" plates because I didnt see any 1x1 slopes in brown around the front.

Do we have price information for this set? I thought someone said $79.99 or $89.99 when it was first mentioned.
  • ringleheimringleheim Member Posts: 168
    Price is $99.99 US. The set is at Lego.com now.

After seeing the video and the workable control surfaces, I'll be all over this set in June, though it still has a lot of flaws. No lower wing dihedral. The proportions are not correct! The wings are either too short or the fuselage is too long. It is somewhere around 1:16 scale though, and that is a nice BIG size for a plane of this type.

What bothers me most is the upper contour of the fuselage. It's nothing like the real plane and immediately looks "wrong" to the eye. It should be a straight, angled line that starts high behind the cockpit and goes straight back and down on an angle to the tail. Lego's is crazy! It goes straight (not downward) for a long time, then curves downward, then straightens out again before getting to the tail.

It will be fun to try and mod this thing so it looks more correct, while still getting the control surfaces to work properly. In the video, Jamie says they tried to minimize the use of stickers! How?! All the markings everywhere are stickers, aside from the brick built rudder.

This kit definitely has its flaws, but it is huge and it's a military aircraft from Lego. I can't pass that up!

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ I saw four stickers, one on each wing and one on each side of the fuselage. I'm not sure how you'd get around those, unless you printed them, but Lego has been getting away from large printed parts for awhile. I get why, I don't like it, but I get it.

Regarding the shape, you're of course right, the wings are wrong, the body is wrong, the whole thing is "off". Oh well, it is Lego, not a scale model, do I wish they did it perfect? Yes and no, if it was perfect with too many custom parts, we'd be on here saying "Lego should be generic parts made into a model, what is up with all the custom!" :)

So Lego can't win... as it is, I'll be getting this for sure. Since I have the original version of this plane, it will be interesting to put them side by side...
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    ^ The problem I have with stickers is that Lego will use printed parts for an inexpensive kids set like this: http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=9483-1
    but not for an expensive collectors set like the Sopwith. Yes, I understand that Lego will sell 10x as many Cars sets comparatively and that young kids have a hard time with putting stickers on. But, come on, for $100 and at +$.10 per piece, Lego could use printed parts. Heck, I bet most collectors would even be willing to pay a few dollars more for printed parts, but market research probably shows that $99 is a sweet spot.
    ^^ the video also showed 2 stickers near the tail just on one side so I'm assuming the call number stickers will be on both sides of the tail which puts it to 8 stickers total.
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    He pointed at the front and said 1x1 brown slopes but I'm assuming he was talking about the 1x4 "wing" plates because I didnt see any 1x1 slopes in brown around the front.
    He says 1x1 round slopes, but means 1x1 round tiles.

• DaddyWhaleDaddyWhale Member Posts: 130
    edited May 2012
    Actually, I kind of like stickers, since it means fewer custom pieces. Perhaps truer to the spirit of a general building toy. It gives me the option to customize bricks, or not.

And, I will be getting this as soon as it is available. It looks beautiful and well crafted!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,998
    Although once the sticker is on, it is a pain to get off. If you do manage it and clean the brick up, you cannot use the sticker again. So it might as well be painted on to start with.
    He says 1x1 round slopes, but means 1x1 round tiles.
    Well he says brown when he means dark gray as well then, since the only 1x1 round tiles I see where he's pointing are inside the rotating part of the engine.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    edited May 2012
    I think it is "round" not "brown", as @Galactus states. it's the slopes that conditions you to thinking it must be a colour. But it took me ages to fathom what he meant, cos I think they are dark blay! A rare slip from Jamie who is always brilliant in these vids.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    I think he says "one-by-one round slopes" not "... brown slopes ...".
    I guess he means 1x1 round tiles, like others have pointed out, but 1x1 round slopes would be a cool new part :-)
    ah yeah I guess I could see that.. sure sounds like he's saying brown though.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    I think for the first time since my childhood, I'm going to apply stickers. It's too good.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    ^I used to live in England and collect the world cup panini sticker albums. Even though I live in the US now, I still get my sticker ”fix” on every four years :) I for one don't mind them on Lego just as long as they don't cover too many pieces. Makes it a little harder when dissembling.
    Regarding the "round slopes". I think he clearly misspeaks and meant "round tiles". It's interesting no one caught that in such a short video and the mistake was retained in the final version.

You can see quite clearly what he is talking about. The cylinders of the rotary engine are "capped" by a dark gray metallic-ish 1x1 round tile, with no stud on top.

I guess when Jamie says: "We tried to avoid stickers whenever possible" what he really meant was "in order to keep costs down, and given the inclusion of the already expensive string, we had to hammer this puppy with no less than 8 stickers. Sorry."

It's kind of funny. He almost seems to have been directed to hit the sticker "talking point" likely from the marketing people.

Marketing wonk: "Mention it doesn't have many stickers! Everyone hates those!"

Jamie: "But it has 8 of them!"

Marketing wonk: "Don't worry about that! Just say it! If you tell people white is black, at least half of them will believe you!"

And if they are going to give us 8 stickers, they might as well have given us 10, so at least we would have under-wing national insignia. The lower side of the lower wing is bare.

It's still a BIG, impressive set that does other things well, and it will be fun to try and improve it.

• ethodaethoda Member Posts: 5
    Love the look of this plane and will definatly pick it up however it's slightly over priced the dark green will look great on a spaceship moc
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 180
    If you go to the 360-spin feature on shop.lego.com you can see what the set looks like without stickers. I think it looks great even without them. Also interesting to note that the engine cowling in the 360-spin has a chrome look instead of the painted silver in the actual set.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Do we already know when it's due to be released in Europe (Germany)? I'm really looking forward for all those beautiful Dk.Green pieces!
  • iBartiBart Member Posts: 121
    It's already listed at [email protected] (June the 1st).
    Unfortunately not in Germany:(
  • PlaugePlauge Member Posts: 39
    Just checked the Austrian site and it ships 1.june in Europe. 90€
    Awesome! Can't wait!!!
  • JusJeffJusJeff Iowa, United StatesMember Posts: 62
    I was in the Kansas City (overland park) store on Friday (25 MAY) and an employee confirmed they have model 10226 in stock, but are restricted from selling any until after 1JUN. I offered to buy two, but was told they would ring up $10,000 each? I decided to wait until after the 1JUN.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    ^ Sounds like a TRU mark up, LOL.
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    I was in the Kansas City (overland park) store on Friday (25 MAY) and an employee confirmed they have model 10226 in stock, but are restricted from selling any until after 1JUN. I offered to buy two, but was told they would ring up $10,000 each? I decided to wait until after the 1JUN.
    This is a POS lock on street dated sales. (Point of Sale) It is the system most retailers use in some software variant. Gamestop's POS did the same thing when I worked there. It is an attempt to prevent sales prior to the street date, yet allow stores to be adequately stocked ahead of an opening sale.

I visited the local Lego store on June 1st to hopefully check out the Sopwith Camel. Sure enough, they had it built and on in display in the front window.

I had studied the photos, then watched the video. I knew the dimensions, and felt like I was very familiar with this set... until I saw it in the flesh! It is stunning! Staggering! And my goodness, it is positively HUGE. I was just not prepared for how big it is built in plastic. Its raw size gives it a real presence and makes it a very special Lego set, at least for me. Needless to say, I bought it and will be building it shortly.

And the green is a great color when you see it in person. I couldn't be happier and can not wait to get started on it. If you are on the fence about this kit and do not have a local Lego store to explore, just order it online and have total faith that you will be very happy with the set when you see it and build it.

• dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    Thought about driving down to Calgary to visit my brother and the closest Lego shop to me to pick this up. Decided to just order it online and save the gas money. Free shipping was a nice bonus!
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Built it last night. Fantastic finished model and feels like good value for the money relative to the price point
    Built it last night. Fantastic finished model and feels like good value for the money relative to the price point
    Good to know... Perhaps this is why price per part isn't everything. :)
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ PPP is really poor at times - some sets are predominantly small pieces, but this one is actually a lot more big parts than small ones. add into that the specialty metallic parts and the highly desirable dark tan and dark green colors, and the price doesn't feel bad at all. I built it an thought "wow, this is great for only $100"

I have it sitting on a shelf next to the $120 VW Camper Van (another model I love), and the Camel just feels like a better value.
  • mrfootballmrfootball Member Posts: 84
    Picked this up Friday, the day it came out. I cannot wait to build it!
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,914
    I saw the set in-person today, and it is beautiful. I'm surprised the box is so small for a set this large.
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    I really hate all of you with a Lego store in your city.. Smaller cities out there than mine have them, why doesn't mine! Grr..
    Just picked mine up as well today, looks really nice in the store, and I agree, the box is very small, and heavy, for its size.
    Picked three sets up on todays AFOL-shopping day!yeeey!
    Lucky me,the first one i've opened came with two Sticker-sheets. I'm pretty sure the Sticker will do pretty well on Bricklink.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    We were most impressed that the instruction books were in plastic with cardboard so they weren't wadded up into a ball! Haven't built it yet but will soon.
  • black_towrblack_towr MinnesotaMember Posts: 165
    I was at one of my local lego stores yesterday and bought 3. I was sold the minute I saw the display.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Mine arrived today from TLG with the mini-sopwith camel. I plan to purchase at least two more and build one over the summer with the kids. It looks absolutely awesome! The mini appears to be a derivation of the alternate build for set 4918.
    ^ I have both sets, the mini-Sopwith and 4918, there are actually quite a few differences actually... Same scale and idea, but lots of changes in parts and part size, for the record...