Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Ever notice you have to see Lego sets in person to really understand what they are about?

ringleheimringleheim Member Posts: 168
edited June 2012 in Everything else LEGO
I visited my local Lego store on June 1st to check out the new Sopwith Camel set.

Once there, I got to see a variety of new sets I have not seen in person previously, including the Sopwith, several of the LOTR sets (Helms Deep, Mines of Moria, Shelob), the new Vampyre Castle, R2-D2, and the Big Ben from the architecture series.

It occurred to me yet again just how poorly photographs and even videos reflect the true nature of built Lego sets in the flesh. You simply must see these things built in plastic to know what they are all about.

That Sopwith Camel is a staggeringly impressive set, and it is huge! I was just not prepared for how big it would appear, even knowing its dimensions and even calculating its scale (around 1:16).

Big Ben struck me immediately as being really well done and very polished looking. It immediately struck me as one of the better architecture kits I have seen, and I think I have seen them all. I bought one! And I do not really like the architecture series!

The Vampyre Castle is a set I would not have otherwise given the time of day to, but seeing it in person in the display case blew my socks off. It's actually really quite neat in the Harry Potter mold, and in my opinion, massively more impressive than any of the LOTR offerings, which were all quite disappointing. I was not a fan of the LOTR sets based on photos, as they come across as simplified play sets for children. Seeing them in person did nothing to change that opinion. Mines of Moria is particularly disappointing, as it has a very "plastic" and toy like appearance. It doesn't seem like it is made out of many independent bricks, but rather, comes across like a pre-made child's toy.

Helm's Deep is simply too small with walls too low to be taken seriously. Some spare bricks and a little time would yield a better depiction via your own MOC. It has simplified details, the ramp leading to the gate is pathetic, and this set simply does not reflect Lego's better work.

And then I saw the new R2-D2 set. It looks absolutely fabulous. It is a fairly good size if not overly large, but it comes across as extremely polished and well thought out. It's just one of those supremely well done Lego sets where everything came together in a great package, even if you are not a fan of Star Wars or R2-D2. Judged on the basis of simply being a well thought out and executed Lego kit, it looks absolutely superb.

It never ceases to amaze me how impressions of various sets can be totally wrong once the sets are finally viewed in person. It's really quite fascinating to me. Lego needs to do a better job of showcasing their best creations on their website. Their finest sets often do not come across as amazing as they actually are. I'm not sure how they would do that exactly however!

And then you have the other side of the coin as well. Some sets seem OK and then are a total disappointment in the plastic. Sadly, that is all of the LOTR sets I have seen so far. And I'm a huge fan of LOTR!

The Sopwith Camel is a great example of what I'm talking about. I studied the photos weeks ago. I watched the video 10 times. I knew the dimensions of the set. And yet I had no idea that it would look THAT big in the display case, or that the green wings (which I was skeptical about) would look so good! That color is great! It's amazing how poorly the photos and video represented the real thing actually.

I'm curious as to what other people think about this phenomenon.

Comments

• SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 586
    Definitely. I'm actually dissuaded from buying a particular set because of the box art, but if I see the built model up close and personal I'm more likely to want to buy the set if I like the concept. The lighting in stores tends to help as well.
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    I bought myself the Camper Van for a Christmas present, and left it packed away for safe keeping.

In March I went into my local Lego shop, saw the Camper on display and built it that night.

It is the only set I am "allowed" to leave on display in the house too!
  • Brewer51Brewer51 Member Posts: 248
    I bought myself the Camper Van for a Christmas present, and left it packed away for safe keeping.

In March I went into my local Lego shop, saw the Camper on display and built it that night.

It is the only set I am "allowed" to leave on display in the house too!
    Mine was a birthday present and the missus won't let me open it until it's actually my birthday. I saw one at the Liverpool Lego shop and I'm dying to build it.
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    I wasn't that bothered about the Fire Temple after being told to grab one for £49 as it was a bargain. I then saw it made up in the lego store in Bluewater and was really impressed with the look and size of the model. So much so I went a bought 2 of them.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 920
    Seeing the sets in person definitely helps. I was at the Milton Keynes Lego store the other week and they not only have stuff in store but a good selection of the 'big' sets such as the Death Star in a display case in another area of the shopping centre.

I do find that (especially for the licensed sets with the Lucas/Marveltax) it can be a little underwhelming seeing them for the first time against their price point - the Hulk Helicarrier set really made me wonder where my £50 was actually going.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,156
    I just built my UCS R2 and was surprised how smoothly rounded the head looks in the flesh, despite looking very blocky in print - job well done Lego!
  • ringleheimringleheim Member Posts: 168
    I just built my UCS R2 and was surprised how smoothly rounded the head looks in the flesh, despite looking very blocky in print - job well done Lego!
    I agree with you 100% about the rounded head, when viewed in person. I made that same observation last night when I was staring at R2 built in the display case. It does seem notchy or blocky in photos. In reality it is remarkably smooth. The legs on that set are fantastic, and the whole thing, like most of the modular buildings, represents Lego's finest work.

In contrast, for me, the LOTR sets look like they were rushed out the door with 3 days planning and I have to believe the people who designed them would like another crack at them. I think they are that disappointing.

I also forgot to mention that the Sopwith is so big, it did not entirely fit in the display box they have in the front window at the Lego store. The kid working the check out counter mentioned he built it himself, thought the kit was stellar, and that he had to remove the rudder because the plane was too long with it to fit!

• woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    I totally agree, the camper van really can't be appreciated until you see all the detail up close. I especially like the engine.
    But seeing them in the 'brick' actually causes more problems, mainly for my wallet.
    Last year on a horrible rainy day I took the kids up to the national space centre where the Brickish Association held an event and put out all the official Star Wars UCS sets and a load of custom sets too.
    I already owned about 6 UCS sets at that point but seeing them all together just made me want them all. So much detail. So since then I've managed to get hold of all but Death Star II and Vader's Tie Advanced and started modifying my loft to dispaly them all. Never mind the kids don't really need food, do they?
    Haven't built R2 yet but I'm off all next week so should find some time.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    ^ keep in mind the R2D2 and Camel are designed to be models, while the LotR sets have to be designed as playsets with a certain amount of play features and kid play appeal. It's really tough to compare the design of one genre of sets with the other. If the LotR set designers were tasked with building display models rather than playsets, we all know how much more impressive they could do. But they have to work within the parameters given.
    I totally agree, the camper van really can't be appreciated until you see all the detail up close. I especially like the engine.
    But seeing them in the 'brick' actually causes more problems, mainly for my wallet.
    Last year on a horrible rainy day I took the kids up to the national space centre where the Brickish Association held an event and put out all the official Star Wars UCS sets and a load of custom sets too.
    I already owned about 6 UCS sets at that point but seeing them all together just made me want them all. So much detail. So since then I've managed to get hold of all but Death Star II and Vader's Tie Advanced and started modifying my loft to dispaly them all. Never mind the kids don't really need food, do they?
    Haven't built R2 yet but I'm off all next week so should find some time.
    Being able to see all of the UCS sets together in one place at one time like that is a real treat. I'm curious: under those circumstances, was there one set which really stood above the others? If the answer is Millennium Falcon, what was the 2nd best?

When I came out of my Dark Ages about 6 months ago, I bought Darth Vader's TIE advanced on Ebay, as I was amazed that you can still get that cool of a set, MIB, for not a lot more than original asking price. I think mine was $150. I had no idea what I was in for until I built it. I was blown away by how large it is and I think it's a great set. I have no idea why this isn't $700 and more on Ebay like all the other UCS sets.

The same can be said of the AT-ST...another great UCS set that can still be had on the 2ndary market, MIB, for "cheap".

• woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    to answer @ringleheim ^ I think it was the snow speeder, one of my favourite star wars vehicles anyway and I just loved the interior. Managed to pick one up for £146 (great condition but no box). All the fighter sets that can be displayed on stands look good to me. The death star play set was also on show, I know its now been taken off bricksets UCS list but it is still big and impressive.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    I have not built all the UCS sets, but of those built, IS an ISD are the most impressive....

That white shuttle just pops from across the room, and the ISD is just so big, not just in length, but in volume, that people who come over say, "I didn't know Lego made models that big!"
    Darn it, it is all your faults... Every one of you!!! :)

When my wife complains, I'm sending her here to you!!!

This conversation got me off my duff, I just bought 10018 and 10129 from Bricklink, that completes my UCS collection. :)

They are of course not all built yet, but one day they will be, then I'll have to start tours... ;)
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,353
    I don't get all the hate on the LotR sets, The Forge and Helm's Deep both have brick built bases with lots of parts which is not common at all, hardly any BURP bits and Shelob is fantastic. But to the premise of the thread I heartily agree, seeing stuff in person or even seeing some of the neat functions of the sets in action is so much better than online or in the catalog. It is a dangerous thing to visit the Lego Store and see the models in person, I want to buy everything
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    Having just visited my first Lego store (kansas city) today, I'll give my impressions of the sets on display:

Sopwith. Like others i am really impressed by this in person. Looks more like 1k + pcs. Almost bought it but wasn't sure where it would fit in my collection.

R2-D2. Neat, but I just don't see the value here. At 2K + pcs. it is rather small especially compared to the Sopwith which was sitting right next to it.

Helms Deep. Not too impressed. Again, kind of small and lacking detail. Too much bley.

SSD. Pretty impressive in size. I wasn't able to see it close up though. Looked detailed but where the hell do you display it... At $400, nay.

Monster Fighters. All sets were on display. Not bad but its another theme and I already collect too many. Didn't seem to be attracting buyers so I'm taking a guess that it will be this years Alien Conquest.

Kingdoms Joust. Very detailed and charming. A little smaller than I expected but the detail makes up for it. I bought it.

Pet Shop. Looked better in person but I'm laying off the modulars.

They had other sets assembled of course. Lord of the Rings was prominently displayed and was selling briskly. The store was packed because it being opening weekend so I didn't spend a lot of time studying the pick-a-brick wall. Nothing stood out to me however. Missed out on the Lego Store set. An employee told me they were long gone by 3 and that people were camped out as early as 6 am. Overall I was impressed by the store and hope that they open one in St. Louis. As a side note they had a shelf full of MMV and Fire Brigades
    Sopwith. Like others i am really impressed by this in person. Looks more like 1k + pcs. Almost bought it but wasn't sure where it would fit in my collection.
    I agree, it is larger than you think, the box is much smaller than you'd think, given the finished model, overall this is nicely done.
    R2-D2. Neat, but I just don't see the value here. At 2K + pcs. it is rather small especially compared to the Sopwith which was sitting right next to it.
    It is Star Wars, so that ups the cost slightly, plus it DOES contain a ton of parts, even if pretty small. Plus it is R2-D2... :)

Look at the size and weight of the box for it, vs. Sopwith Camel, there is value there.
    SSD. Pretty impressive in size. I wasn't able to see it close up though. Looked detailed but where the hell do you display it... At $400, nay.
    It is, and it looks even bigger in the house, which isn't as big as retail store. But you're right, the average person doesn't have a place to display it. At $300, it would be more interesting, but that doesn't fix the size problem.
    Monster Fighters. All sets were on display. Not bad but its another theme and I already collect too many. Didn't seem to be attracting buyers so I'm taking a guess that it will be this years Alien Conquest.
    I agree... by itself, it is pretty cool, as was AC, but I ended up selling all of those sets as well (AC) simply because I don't have room for "another theme".
    Kingdoms Joust. Very detailed and charming. A little smaller than I expected but the detail makes up for it. I bought it.
    Interesting that you bought this, but passed on LOTR, since they are the same idea.

Kingdoms was good, better than I think it gets a reputation for, but I ended up not building any of mine for the above "another theme" reason. Just sold my last Kings Castle yesterday actually, leaving this one behind. :)
    Don't knock it till you've tried it, the beauty isn't in the finished model, it is in the build. These are a grade or two above in quality of build, adult building methods, and overall detail, than the "kids sets" like Joust.

Try Fire Brigade, you might well get hooked. :)
    I don't get all the hate on the LotR sets
    We are adults, and they are kid's sets... That is the source...

We were all, knowingly, or unknownly, hoping for modular building levels of detail on the big LOTR sets, since the movies are really adultish...

What we got was another round of Kingdoms in licensed form.

Same problem PotC has, the ships are great, the rest of the sets, less so...

Give me a 3,000 brick version of Helms Deep, and I'm interested, what they are currently selling is boring as all heck.

My 2 cents. :)
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,353
    Yeah I get that, I feel like they tried to balance the extremes of kids and adults about as well as could be expected though. Maybe if they sell well enough we can get a UCS something-or-other like either or both of the Two Towers next year
    edited June 2012
    Interesting that you bought this, but passed on LOTR, since they are the same idea.
    I should probably re-state that I mostly buy sets that interest me vs. buying sets to complete a theme. Regarding Joust: I just find it a very colorful set and it also compliments MMV. The only LOTR set that really grabs me is Attack on Weathertop. I got lucky and found a "Like New" return on AW for $47. Weathertop has a few things going for it over the other LOTR sets. First, no stickers. I can handle a few stickers that are used wisely but overall STICKERS SUCK. I have no intention of buying Mines of Moria for this reason. Second, Weathertop is a complete model and looks more finished than the other LOTR sets. Third, cool minifigs. I love the new horses and the Nazgul which can be used with other themes.
    Don't knock it till you've tried it, the beauty isn't in the finished model, it is in the build. These are a grade or two above in quality of build, adult building methods, and overall detail, than the "kids sets" like Joust.

Try Fire Brigade, you might well get hooked. :)
    Actually, I've built Grand Emporium and like it a lot. However, I'm just not into Town/City. I've decided that I rather spend the money on building sets that really interest me. Joust OTOH hand looks just as detailed as any of the modulars (It is a 10xxx set afterall).

• LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    edited June 2012
    I saw the MF Train today and NOT impressed at all. It is teeny compared to all the regular trains and with a $99.99 price tag, it makes it even worse. The train looked so much bigger and better online and on the box. Glad they put this set out on display.
    I don't get all the hate on the LotR sets
    We are adults, and they are kid's sets... That is the source...

We were all, knowingly, or unknownly, hoping for modular building levels of detail on the big LOTR sets, since the movies are really adultish...

What we got was another round of Kingdoms in licensed form.

Same problem PotC has, the ships are great, the rest of the sets, less so...

Give me a 3,000 brick version of Helms Deep, and I'm interested, what they are currently selling is boring as all heck.

My 2 cents. :)
    LegoFanTexas' comments here perfectly sum up why I do not like the LOTR kits. I'm an adult and I am only interested in "over the top" Lego sets that can offer something which appeals to an adult.

I understand the concept of the "play set" and I realize most Legos are made for kids! That's all fine for the kids. Just don't expect me, as an adult, to get excited over these little kids' sets or to buy them!

I would suggest any AFOL who loves LOTR and is thinking of paying $130 for Helm's Deep to spend $130 on brickink or Lego Pick A Brick and have a go with your own MOC. You can't do a lot worse, and you will not be hampered by Lego's need to build in playability, nor will you have to hit a designated price point.

Seeing sets made in person cuts both ways. You can be amazed how good something is, or you can be really disappointed.

It would be great if Lego gave us a 3,000 piece LOTR set aimed at adults, but I do not think they will do that.

I had dismissed Joust as a kids' set, but with the positive comments here, I will look into that a bit more closely. I have never seen that one built in the store. I have seen MMV built in the store, and it is another good example of a set that impressed me only once viewed in the brick in person. It seems simplified and childish in photos, but it had a nice aura about it in the display case built. It seemed to have more detail and refinement in person than I would have thought.
    PS: I have the SSD and it is very impressive as a built thing. I was on the fence about this set until I saw it in the front window at the Lego store, and immediately knew I had to have it. I knew it was over 4 feet long, but I still was not prepared for how that would translate into Lego until I saw it built. It sits on the coffee table and looks out of place, and I really have no better place to put it! I didn't let that stop me from getting it, though, as this type of huge set represents where my interest in Lego lies as an adult.

And regarding some of the comments about Pet Shop...I was actually in the act of coming out of my dark ages at the Lego store, hoping to see the SSD, last December. If I liked it, I was going to buy it. That set is what made me rediscover Lego! The Pet Shop was also by chance sitting in the front window near the SSD. I was blown away by its quaintness and level of detail. I did not know Lego made buildings that looked THAT good. They sure as heck did not make kits like that when I was last playing with Legos, roughly 30 years ago!

I got the SSD and went home. After 2 days I realized I could not stop thinking about the Pet Shop, despite the fact that a "Lego house" is not the type of thing I am interested in, or was interested in as a kid. I ordered it and have zero regrets. That is how I discovered the modulars. Now I have PS, GE, FB, and TH.

If not for this "seeing the built set in person" phenomenon, I know I would not have otherwise given the modulars the time of day.

I should probably re-state that I mostly buy sets that interest me vs. buying sets to complete a theme.
    :) That attitude will save you a ton of money!
    Actually, I've built Grand Emporium and like it a lot. However, I'm just not into Town/City. I've decided that I rather spend the money on building sets that really interest me.
    Fair enough, to each their own...

But GE was, in my personal opinion, the worst modular set... It was boring compared to FB and PS, too much repetition on the second and third floors.

FB is still the best, PS is second, GE third...

Next up, building Green Grocer, we shall see if it is all it is cracked up to be. :)
    If not for this "seeing the built set in person" phenomenon, I know I would not have otherwise given the modulars the time of day.
    Amen... The modulars are really adult dollhouses... I know it, Lego knows it, some of the people buying them and building them know it... :)

Heck, the 10188 Death Star is really just a dollhouse, but that is not a bad thing, after all, "action figures" are really just dolls with a "boy name". :)

My local Lego store does not have any of the modulars built, and that is a shame, they should forever have one in the front window, it will let everyone walking by know "hey, Lego isn't stuck in the 80s!"

I will say that I have seen some people looking at the SSD in the window, and they think it is a "custom one-off", not a set you can walk in and build. Even seeing it sitting there, it doesn't occur to them that they can walk in and buy it.
    That R2 is small in height but big on volume - it's almost solid Lego, you can feel the weight of it in the box to know it's not a "small" set. Biggest disappointment is the useless pop-out third leg. You either want it permanently on 2 or 3 legs, that third leg is too short to be deployed in a way to give a decent tilt on R2 in motion pose.
    edited June 2012
    I would never get the SSD, it's too big for me to display it and I prefer the proportions of the original ISD. Take a vessel that massive and take it so far down in size you lose so much detail. You get the overall shape and all the lumpy bits on top, but detail is lacking IMO.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 989
    Lego needs to do a better job of showcasing their best creations on their website. Their finest sets often do not come across as amazing as they actually are. I'm not sure how they would do that exactly however!
    I certainly agree with the sentiment of your post overall, but not so much with this individual part of it. I've been hugely impressed with [email protected] since they updated it (last year?) to let you scroll over the set with the magnifying glass. For most sets there are plenty of angles too, and the pictures are so crisp in quality.

I guess it's hard to give too much of an idea of scale on a website, though, and that seems to be the main issue here. The only way they can demonstrate the proper sense of scale is for the exclusive sets with the designer videos. When I first looked at the product information page for the IS, I thought that it looked pretty damn cool. But it wasn't until I clicked on the video and saw the designer sitting beside it that I was truly blown away and appreciated just how big it was.
    They need to show to scale with something everyone recognises, like a can of pop, an apple etc to see the appreciable size of something.
    They need to show to scale with something everyone recognises, like a can of pop, an apple etc to see the appreciable size of something.
    I totally agree with you on this point. Actually, I think where they fail with the website is in their effort to show photos which are too close in. Showing clear close ups is great to highlight detail, but they need more photos that are really pulled back, preferably with a human in the shot as well holding the set or standing next to it or something like that.

Also, their photos are almost too slick and polished. They somehow look "not real" if that makes sense. I often find that a decent but "normal" photo of a set on Ebay conveys a more realistic feel for a given kit than the slick Lego produced images.

I have noticed this for years at car websites. The manufacturers photos all look fake somehow, and do not show colors offered well at all. They are almost too professional if that makes sense! To get a much better feel for how a given car in a given color looks, it is much better to wander the 'net finding some happy new owner who took a good but normal photo of his car sitting in his driveway.

You immediately get a much more accurate sense of the car and its color.

I would never get the SSD, it's too big for me to display it and I prefer the proportions of the original ISD. Take a vessel that massive and take it so far down in size you lose so much detail. You get the overall shape and all the lumpy bits on top, but detail is lacking IMO.
    I would agree that displaying this puppy is a problem for most people probably. And yes, to an extent, detail is lacking.

But what I think people don't realize with that set is that it is effectively micro scale, in precisely the same mold as the little architecture kits like Big Ben or Brandenburger Tor.

And the look of micro scale is not to everyone's taste.

Perhaps b/c the finished ship is so large, people are expecting a supremely well detailed piece of Lego. But it is still micro scale! It's just a really huge piece of micro scale building.

All the micro scale detail on the top of the ship is done in light and dark gray. The dark gray bits are more noticeable in person than in the photos, and they really make things pop. The rear/underside is also really well detailed and the engines look fantastic. You just have to display it in a way so you can see it.

And if you can display it so you are looking down the length of the kit from above, the full width and shape of the ship really comes out.

Most people are viewing this only in side profile, where the back side kind of disappears due to its design. It makes the ship look half as wide as it actually is and then it looks very long, but skinny and insubstantial.

From certain angles at home, the set is just fantastic to look at. You have to see it from the right angles.

This set gets a lot of flak, but I really think that is just a function of its price.

And for the record, I also prefer the bulk and volume of the older Star Destroyer. If that was still made and offered by Lego, even for $400, I would have bought that instead of the SSD. But I went with what was available, and I don't want to pay $800 and up for a used Lego kit.

I should probably re-state that I mostly buy sets that interest me vs. buying sets to complete a theme.
    :) That attitude will save you a ton of money!
    Actually, I've built Grand Emporium and like it a lot. However, I'm just not into Town/City. I've decided that I rather spend the money on building sets that really interest me.
    Fair enough, to each their own...

But GE was, in my personal opinion, the worst modular set... It was boring compared to FB and PS, too much repetition on the second and third floors.

FB is still the best, PS is second, GE third...

Next up, building Green Grocer, we shall see if it is all it is cracked up to be. :)
    It's funny how different people see the same things differently some times.

I have all 4 of the currently available modulars, and after considerable thought on this topic (!) I have concluded the most "Visually impressive and polished" of the lot is the Grand Emporium! If I could only display one, it would be that.

I think I would put FB second, PS third, and TH would definitely be last. I somewhat regret buying it to be honest as I find its design and color scheme boring as a thing to look at.

Having said that, if we are talking of quality of build, I put TH as number 1! I also thought GE, despite its repetition of design, was really fun to put together. It had many of those standout, magical moments during the build.

The escalators were a real treat, the sign over the door, the revolving door itself, the chandelier, and the outer detail at the very top was just great to build.

The flower pots on either side of the front door were also really clever, if simple.

But quibbling among modulars is silly! They are all fantastic and represent Lego's finest work I have seen, ever.

I guess we all have to decide what we are after. Do you buy a set because it is a specific theme or flavor, or do you just buy "whatever Lego kit stands out as a great Lego kit" ?

I tend to go with the latter approach. I am not a huge R2-D2 fan (never was) but I will end up with that kit, as it looks like one of the best Lego has ever done.

Lego only makes 4 or 5 of the type of sets I like per year. So you have to go with what you get!

I have all 4 of the currently available modulars, and after considerable thought on this topic (!) I have concluded the most "Visually impressive and polished" of the lot is the Grand Emporium! If I could only display one, it would be that.
    Don't get me wrong, I admire all of the modulars (well except for Town Hall which you pretty much summed up) it's just that Grand Emporium is the only one out of the currently available ones that I wanted to own. I've never been into fire houses so Fire Brigade despite its charm just doesn't do it for me. Speaking of doll houses, I've fixed up the interior of GE with my own microbuilds which was half the fun.

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited June 2012
    @LegoFanTexas why did you have to bring up the dollhouses? My gf punches below the belt when she pulls that card on me. Then she brings up the minifigs :sigh: Followed up by a hearty laugh at my benefit as I question my love of Lego. All you did was confirm it. I thought I was safe on Brickset.
    ^ Just let her know that you're secure enough in your manhood to be ok with that...

Point out to her that it means you'll be a great daddy some day and be great with the kids, boys and girls...