Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links to help keep the forum online: LEGO.com Amazon

HALO lego?

drewlardrewlar Guest Posts: 19
edited May 2011 in Everything else LEGO
hey I saw that they now sell halo lego .
I my self am a crazy halo fan.
but i was wondering is it worth buying
it and then not opening it then selling it
in like 20 years because I dont know if
halo will still be known?

anyone els know if it would be a good idea?

Comments

• CrackseedCrackseed Member Posts: 90
    HALO is not by LEGO, it's by MegaBloks - so keep in mind you'll be buying a non-LEGO product and dealing with all the potential issues that can bring :)
  • drewlardrewlar Guest Posts: 19
    Oh i'm 100% sure that in Toys'r'us yesterday that it was from lego ... it said lego on the box ... :p
    or could it be possible that they where selling fakes? :s
  • jwsmartjwsmart Member Posts: 298
    It's unlikely that TRU is selling counterfeit LEGO, it's probably just the MegaBloks stuff (http://www.megabloks.com/en/kids/halo/#/collection).
  • NicksBricksNicksBricks United StatesMember Posts: 210
    edited May 2011
    Megabloks are next to Legos at the Toys R Us by me but they are definitely not Lego.
    ah yeah probally was in the shop looking for neopets stuff for my girlfriend (shes crazy) (about it) but they didnt have it even though they are a registerd seller of it ..

odd .. anyways you are probally right about them being mega blocks :D
    I get confused from time to time :D
  • gruetzmacherdgruetzmacherd USA, WIMember Posts: 30
    I recommend checking again. I am 100% positive :) that LEGO hasn't released any HALO-branded products.

It is also not likely/possible that TRU would be selling "fakes".
    yeah I think you are right but I cant check it because the closest TRU is in calais (france)
    im from belgium so i find it hard to get there just to see what box it has .. :D
    and I believe NicksBricks is right they are right next to eachother in the shop and thats how i must of got confused ... :-P
  • applebappleb Member Posts: 2
    The Halo line is definitely Megablocks. I've seen them before in TRU.
  • AETerryAETerry Member Posts: 48
    If you're daring and go to BrickForge.com , they sell custom accessories and you could MOC out your own Halo set using LEGO bricks and elements.

I've a friend who's son is into the Halo sets and he keeps calling them lego despite my attempts to comment on the difference and brands with him.
    lol how old is that son?

because its hard to reason with a 5 year old :D
  • AETerryAETerry Member Posts: 48
    He'll be 14. It's terrible some days having to explain things to him. Luckilly I don't see the son very often so I don't have to be constantly pulling my hair out.
  • romdamromdam Member Posts: 136
    I also noticed they sell blind minifig packs too now. Wow.
  • wander099wander099 Member Posts: 114
    ^^ It is hard to reason with most people, I find. Most people refuse to be rational and children are worse. They just don't listen :P
  • LEGO_NabiiLEGO_Nabii Member Posts: 34
    Heh. One of the legal reasons given for Mega and other companies being allowed to make LEGO compatible bricks is that as long as they clearly put their company name on the box no reasonable person would ever mistake their products for products from the LEGO company... what a joke that's turned out to be.
  • zaxter2001zaxter2001 Member Posts: 35
    In case there is anyone still out there who thinks LEGO makes Halo sets, (of which I hope there are none) here is the link to M*** B***** website for their Halo line.

http://www.megabloks.com/Shop/MEGA_Bloks/Halo/

p.s. I hope this isn't a LEGO sin for posting a M*** B***** website ;-) :-D

edited May 2011
    Heh. One of the legal reasons given for Mega and other companies being allowed to make LEGO compatible bricks is that as long as they clearly put their company name on the box no reasonable person would ever mistake their products for products from the LEGO company... what a joke that's turned out to be.
    While we're talking about legal reasons for things, go ahead and read this: http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/corporate/fairplay.aspx
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    ^ I've read TLG's fair play statement many times, and to be perfectly honest, a lot of it is just fanciful wishing.

For instance, the statement: "In the LEGO Group, we believe that any original product design should be protected against copying for as long as it is produced and marketed."

That's nice that they think that (and I'm not sure why they find it necessary to relate that view to us), but that's not how patents work. The world wouldn't have progressed as far as it has presently -- in every field -- if patents did not expire and allow healthy competition.
    I think that's referring more to the problem they're having with the "Enlighten" and "Brick" sets which are essentially 1:1 copies of LEGO sets.
    Check out the 3rd picture on this page: http://chuckpalahniuk.net/forum/1000026/enlighten-brick-chinas-creepy-answer-to-legos

That's copyright, not patents. The patent issue is over, TLG lost. Copyrights are still out of control - Disney keeps getting them extended right as some of their stuff is about to enter the public domain in the US. 95 years seems excessive.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    Quite a few times every week, customers will come in to my local LEGO brand store, wander around for a bit & then ask the staff "Where are the LEGO Halo sets?". The staff are well practised at this now, and calmly explain that the Halo sets are actually made by a competitor, not LEGO, and if they want them to go to TRU to buy them. 9 times out of 10, the customer will then tell them that they are wrong & that of course LEGO make Halo sets, as they have "seen them before", and they will often claim that they "already own LEGO Halo sets" & that the staff are wrong. Despite the best efforts of the staff, the conversation often ends badly, with demands to see the manager to explain why the staff are lying, or customers storming out saying that they've never been so badly treated before ...

I've witnessed it 1st hand; my wife is often on the receiving end of it. It's a nasty business.

I've been told before, by a number of different people, that "Mega Bloks" is LEGOs budget range, and that all the bricks (LEGOs & Mega Bloks) are made in the same factory. I always try to educate them, but most people seem to be utterly convinced by this urban myth & don't want to know the truth.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    That's just got me really worked up. but I'll save you the rant. That's as bad as the review I mentioned earlier 'The figures could have been bigger for the price'...