Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] [email protected] Bundles for LotR and MF?

RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
edited June 2012 in Shopping USA/Canada
The Sales/Deals section of [email protected] is showing "in progress" items that includes some new SW bundles and mega-bundles for LotR and MF. Looks like it would be a great way to get these sets, especially if there's a VIP bonus attached to buying a bundle.

The items don't have official images yet, and although I can add the LotR bundle to my cart, the MF bundle won't add yet. Does anyone have any other info on this? I need to sit down later and do the calculations to see if these bundles are actually good money savers (assuming a buyer is looking to purchase the entire line).

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ i remember hearing the LotR one was basically if you bought the whole collection, the Shelob set was free ($20 value). This really only makes sense if there is a free shipping promotion going on, otherwise your savings will get eaten up by that.
    Looks like the MF one is basically the cheapest (6.99) set for free - Swamp Creature.

Doesn't appear to be any bonus VIP points for the LotR bundle, just the $352 final charge.
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    On the subject of bundles, I noticed that the City Mining Collection only includes 4 sets (no 4202) and costs $204.95 which is the price you would pay if you ordered all 5 sets separately. Glitch or a bad deal?
    Just got an email from [email protected] saying that 4202 is included though the site (US) still only says 4 sets.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    I saw something on the website a few minutes ago that said double VIP points for bundles for a limited time. And there is free shipping right now so can't go wrong with that combo.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    The double VIP points don't include the lotr collection unfortunately. I think it is only for the monster collection, mining collection, marvel superhero collection and the star wars sith infiltrator/Nightspeeder combo.
    ^ The picture on the link for the promotion has helms deep and another together in a picture. So there must be a mistake on one side or the other.
    If it is fixed and included I would definitely put an order in, especially with free shipping, free poster and free mini sopwith, and overall discount.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,649
    edited June 2012
    I can't speak for the US, but in the UK there's no financial advantage at all in buying these bundles - you pay exactly what you would for the individual sets. You don't even get any special packaging. As a fellow Brickset staff member said to me, it's purely to help the grannies buy a bunch of sets for their grand kids without having to find them individually on the website ! And given the lack of incentives to buy the bundle, he might just be rght !
    This morning the LoTR bundle was slightly discounted here in the US, now I do not see that bundle as being available even at full price.
    It can be found by looking under Themes while on the shopping tab. Still discounted but not double VIP.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-The-Lord-of-the-Rings-Collection-5001132
  • cynthilinacynthilina Member Posts: 188
    This is a sweet Idea if lego stays with it. Good for the collectors.
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    ^ It's only a good idea if they throw in free shipping and double VIP points. Otherwise, theres no difference between the bundles and adding them to your cart one at a time.

• ThisIsMyCupThisIsMyCup Member Posts: 156
    does anyone have any idea when the zombies mf set is supposed to be released in the US?
  • RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    ^^ The LotR bundle set is "on sale" at a 20 USD (or so) discount off of the regular bundle price, so it would save some money so long as that discount remains.
    ^ at least while free shipping is in effect. shipping on all 7 sets will be more than $20 after that.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Not to mention that Amazon often discounts these sets anyway, defeating the point.

Sure, VIP points help, and given the choice I'd buy from Lego, but at least for now Amazon isn't charging me sales tax either. :)
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Found out today that Amazon will begin charging sales tax in New Jersey next year. That will change some of my LEGO buying habits. But I agree with LFT here - this discount is pretty puny. Nice they are moving in this direction though, I would prefer to buy more directly from LEGO. It just feels nice.
    Just got an email from Amazon 20 min ago, starting July 1st, they will be chafing sales tax in TX.

That will change my buying habits for sure...
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^That shouldn't matter for things you plan to resell. Items for your personal use are a different story, of course.
    ^ Assuming Amazon allows me to buy tax-free for resale, something that [email protected] does not allow me to do.

However my family buys a ton of stuff from Amazon, we have over 50 items in Subscribe & Save, Prime is our best friend...

Yes, I understand the whole tax thing, however for better or worse, this will cause us to rethink what we buy from Amazon. There are other places to buy online that won't be taxed, I have a Shoprunner account as well, so there are places like NewEgg to get computer stuff from and such that won't be taxed.

Oh well...
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^I don't know how it works in Texas, of course, but in Indiana, we have to pay the sales tax when we do our returns anyway... assuming it's the same for Texas, wouldn't this just save you some hassle come tax time?
    ^ Well... first of all, who really reports their online sales anyway?

Are we supposed to? Yes, but no one does.

Second, Texas has no state income tax, so there is actually no form to report them on anyway.
  • DaveBeyDaveBey Member Posts: 46
    5001133 Monster Fighters Collection includes all seven Monster Fighters sets currently available from LEGO:
    9462 The Mummy
    9463 The Werewolf
    9464 The Vampyre Hearse
    9466 The Crazy Scientist and His Monster
    9467 The Ghost Train
    9468 Vampyre Castle
    9461 The Swamp Creature

5001134 CITY Mining Collection includes all five CITY Mining sets available from LEGO:
    4200 Mining 4x4
    4201 Loader and Tipper
    4202 Mining Truck
    4203 Excavator Transport
    4204 The Mine

Both collections are eligible for double VIP points, free shipping, and the 40049 Mini Sopwith Camel.

Cheers from Claremore, OK!
    Dave
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    @DaveBey - You live in Claremore?? My ex-brother-in-law and his spouse live in Claremore lol!!! Small world!!!
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Anyone know if these bundle deals are ever honored in-store? Or are they on-line deals only?
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    edited June 2012
    These look appealing if you plan on buying an entire series. But with TRU bogo, [email protected] Clearance; and other retail discounts available from time-to-time, I wonder if these are worth it or not?

And I am referring to the new MF, Minifig, LOTR and other collections that Huw has posted recently.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,978
    I just found a LotR bundle of Weathertop and Mines of Moria on Walmart.com for $20 off. ($119 instead of $139.94) Not too shabby if you were looking to get them both anyway
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,151
    edited June 2012
    Anyone know if these bundle deals are ever honored in-store? Or are they on-line deals only?
    I believe it is online only, but with free shipping going on and double points on the bundles (I think the mining bundle is part of that) it is worth it if you want them.. I am eying that 'Mining' bundle
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    The new LEGO catalogue shows double VIP points for just the "Helms Deep bundle" (helms deep plus Uruk hai). Intriguing.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,151
    Check the VIP account offers in the LEGO site, and all the bundles listed are double points
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    I believe it is online only, but with free shipping going on and double points on the bundles (I think the mining bundle is part of that) it is worth it if you want them.. I am eying that 'Mining' bundle
    Was wondering about "in-store" because there are coupons/discounts for in-store only at times - which may be able to stack. I forgot to check with the Indy store when I was in there last night. Will try and remember to do this later.
  • momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322
    ^ Well... first of all, who really reports their online sales anyway?

Are we supposed to? Yes, but no one does.

Second, Texas has no state income tax, so there is actually no form to report them on anyway.
    O.k.......Am I the only dork that does??? My online taxes were horrible this year and I do report. Please someone else tell me that they also file taxes for online sales.
    I live in Illinois and we are required by law to do so. You have the option of using your actual online spending amount or use a set amount which I think is based on your yearly income.
  • momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322
    Thanks Renny. I am in Illinois also. I save my receipts, but this year was a killer. I am happy to know that someone else files and I am not the only one.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited June 2012
    @Renny @momof2boys99 I know this is off topic. But, what are the taxes and tax rates in Illinois? I have always heard that northern states have some of the highest taxes, but have never heard specifics. (In TN we have an almost 10% sales tax, but no state income tax and no personal property tax.)
    edited June 2012
    @momof2boys99, tax misery loves company :)

@cloaked7, If you want tax then come visit Illinois!
    Average sales tax is about 9.5% in Chicago although it varies by county (Cook which is where I live is 8.25%). We do have State Income tax here which I *think* is at around 5%. I don't believe there is any personal property tax (for vehicles, boats, etc) but there is real estate tax.
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    ^ Or you can come to New York City, where they would tax you every time you use the restroom if they could.
    ^ Or the state commonly known as Taxachusetts. Sales, income, property, car excise etc etc etc..