Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Possible WTB 1x1 plates - For those near LEGO stores

graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
edited May 2012 in Marketplace
I have a couple photos of mine that I'm considering making mosaics from LEGO of and am looking at getting a decent quantity of 1x1 plates. From the stores I've been to it seems they usually only have these in trans red, green, red, blue, or clear. Just wanted to put out a query to people near LEGO stores that frequent them often. If you see any non translucent 1x1 plates on the PAB walls I could possibly be interested in buying a cup or 2 worth of them depending on the color. As of right now I can probably use most of the major colors (black, brown, yellow, lt gray, dk gray, tan, green, white, blue and possibly orange, red, and lime).

This is just prep work for something I would do down the line and figured I could start collecting parts as I find them. Basically free VIP points and free 50 cent off cups for the people helping =) Looking at Bricklink the average is 2 or 3 cents a part for 1x1 and even after shipping a large PAB cup should get me 1 cent a part. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone is able to help.

Comments

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Can I join in the request @graphite? I need the 1x1 plates for the same reason, a couple mosaics. Having double the request should attract some attention. Just as mentioned, I would like anything non-trans. All colors of the rainbow in solid colors works for me. I'm looking for 1 large PAB cup of any single color.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    1x1 plates are becoming increasing rare in my opinion. they just don't seem to be supplied in sets in any kind of quantity, and are often replaced by 1x1 round plates in many cases.

other than the trans, not sure any 1x1 plates are even on the PAB master order list (I'll check). large quantities of these are likely going to take a bulk buy purchase through your LUG.
    ^Agree, the best set I've found for this purpose is the mini-modular. It has a good variety of colors and decent numbers of each. Looking forward to sale or discount on these and part out a few.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Robie House has 268 dark red 1x1s. 235 grey 1x1 tiles, too.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,324
    Do you guys go for plates or tiles for mosaics? I love the smoothness of the tiles, but they are a pain to get off again, especially if you need to correct a mistake.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    I was looking for plates, not tiles. I want it to be distinctively LEGO. But I'm actually considering doing 1x1 bricks now instead. I think sourcing the different colors in large quantities will be easier for the bricks.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    Robie House has 268 dark red 1x1s. 235 grey 1x1 tiles, too.
    which is exactly why I bought it (among other parts). Of course there are exceptions such as these (architecture and minituarized sets are indeed good for 1x1 plates), most theme-based sets seem to have very few 1x1 plates in general.

^^^I'm going for the studs too, not tiles, to make it instantly recognizable as Lego art. I did this on my first mosaic (a tribute to my gf on another thread under Building Techniques). It looks fantastic with the studs giving it more dimension and visual *oomph*. But it sure was expensive to make, as I had a limited inventory of bricks at the time and gathered the pieces by parting out a few creator sets. Ended up around ~$250 or so to make a 60x40 stud picture in about 8 colors. So definitely need a better way to acquire these plates.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    I will keep a look out for both @graphite & @BrickDancer for ya'll :) I am prob gonna run by the Bellvue store on Wed and the new Lynnwood store is opening on June 1 (soft open) so I will see what they have on their new wall. Hopefully they will have something and I can grab ya'll both a couple of large cups each
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    ^ Don't get your hopes up too high. When the Vancouver store first opened, all they had were 2x4 bricks in various colours and other miscellaneous non-unique parts.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    :( Awww @LegobrandonCP Dash my hopes already huh? lol JK Although it has been the absolute WORSE week in my life
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    Ahhh... I'm so sorry. :-(