Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Shuttle Adventure 'service pack' update

bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
edited April 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Again, from the Ambassador forum, from LEGO QA -
"Yes it is correct that we have a stability issue with the Space Shuttle 10213. It became apparent after 2 months in the market that too many had called consumer service regarding stability with the tank and during play with the model. As a display model it had the needed stability, but it has been stated again that even though it is an 14+ model it should be possible to play with the model.

There has been made a PDF that shows the changes needed and if consumer service is call they will send the needed elements and the PDF. All new sets packed from around week 10 will be with the improved build up. The set number will not change."

Comments

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,233
    I called customer service to ask about this issue a couple of weeks back. Once they had established that my set was bought shortly after release they sent me a repair pack (parts + instructions) shortly afterwards.
  • pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    I called too, at first they didnt know what I was talking about, but once I explained it to them they sent me one out no hassle. I swear LEGO could write the book on good customer service.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Yea I actually emailed them, but didn't provide the right set number or set name, I just described it and told them the issue and that I had heard there was a service pack out. Sure enough a couple weeks later I had a large envelope in the mail with instructions and parts.
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    ^^ not surprisingly, LEGO have won awards for their customer service. Their NPS is also well known to be extremely high, higher even than the likes of Apple and Google I've heard.
  • DaveBeyDaveBey Member Posts: 44
    How do you know if your 10213 Shuttle Adventure has the revised parts/build? I ordered mine through Toys "R" Us during their last buy one get one 50% off sale and am building it today after church. (The bags of parts are on the kitchen table, ready to be opened!)

Cheers from Claremore, OK!
    Dave
    ^ My understanding is that if your set wasn't bought within about 10 weeks of launch (no pun intended) then it contains the revised parts.
  • areszearesze Member Posts: 7
    i never see this set sale in any aussie retail shop !@#$
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    Hrm... interesting. I'll have to contact their customer service, then, and get my service pack!
    ^^ I've never seen the set at non-LEGO retail in the UK either; I bought mine via [email protected]
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    I'm told by our friends down-under that some 10xxx-series 'Direct-2-Consumer' exclusives turn up in Australian stores, I guess because they don't have their own Brand Stores.
    ^ Makes sense.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    I have this set which was bought pretty much on launch, I've not bothered getting the service pack yet as I haven't built it. Is it worth it do you think?
    ^ I've not built it yet either, but given that all the repair pack cost was the price of a phone call I figured I might as well just do it. To be fair, despite my mountain of MISB sets, this is one I DO expect to build sooner rather than later, but even if that's not your plan, what do you have to lose ?
    ^ makes sense, I'll give them a call tomorrow, thanks.
    Just got my service pack today, well worth the time of a phone call.
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 322
    I called and requested the service pack this morning. I wouldn't have known there was an issue if not for this forum as my set is still sealed in its box too. Thanks brickset.
  • clundsbergclundsberg Member Posts: 44
    I called and requested one, but the guy I spoke to sugested I build it first to see if it's even an issue. :/
    What exactly does the pack come with and where does it go?
    I'm also struggling to get a service pack sent out, they've sent me a link to the building instructions but seem resistant to sending me the pieces required to fix it. I'm going back to them again.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Put it under complaint on the webform, and say you would not recommend it to a friend!
  • noclistnoclist Downtown Cleveland, yoMember Posts: 30
    I've recently built this set and don't see much of a stability issue. What comes in the pack and where on the Shuttle does it go?
    Until I heard that future editions of the set will include the new parts and design, I was lax to contact them about receiving the parts pack, since I was satisfied with the design and figured it was 'good enough for me'. After hearing of the 'running change', though, I made the realization that those who received early editions of the set are sort of penalized for being the first to plunk down their hard-earned cash. I contacted TLG regarding that, and also stated that I was concerned that my 4 y/o daughter could inadvertently be injured trying to retrieve the set from atop my dresser - even after I warned her not to... because, honestly, what is a warning to a 4 y/o if not a challenge?

To that end, I sent the following message via the LEGO Customer Support site:
    To whom it may concern,

Recently, multiple online sources have stated that the set 10213 'Shuttle Adventure' had stability issues when first released, and that future editions of the set will include a revised set of parts and instruction sheet. It is also stated that a parts pack and additional instruction sheet are available to people who received the set before this running change will take place. I received this set for Christmas this past year, and while I'm highly satisfied with the over-all design and aesthetics of the set, the stability issue concerns me as I have a four year-old daughter who likes to take my assembled sets down from their shelf and play with them from time to time while I'm away at work. I would be none too happy if she were to be injured while attempting to retrieve the 'Shuttle Adventure' set from its perch - and while I will let her know not to without my supervision, that advice can only go so far. I also feel it is only fair that those who purchased/received the set before the revision was made have the opportunity to update their set to the new, higher standard design. Otherwise, it seems those individuals are penalized for being the first to give the LEGO company their hard-earned money. I thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 322
    UPDATE: After calling and being told I would receive the service pack, I was sent the following:

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I am sorry to hear you are having stability problems with your LEGO® set. I know how frustrating it can be when a model falls apart during play. As it is not easy to find out exactly what is wrong with your set via an email, it would be best to start with you building your model once again, paying extra close attention to every step in the building instructions. It easily happens that a step is overlooked or bricks are put together slightly differently than shown in the instructions. Little variations in building can affect the whole model and its stability.

If after this, you still have problems or need some bricks replaced please get in touch with us again and we will be very happy to help. It would be best to call one of our experts on the free (from landlines) phone number 1-800-835-4386 (8am - 10pm Monday to Friday or 10am - 6pm Saturday to Sunday).

Best wishes!

Sincerely,

LEGO Direct Consumer Services

I called again to make sure they were sending the pack and they were confused on the email too, but reassured me that the pack was in the mail and I would receive it between 10-14 days. Reading others comments, it does seem as though they are making it difficult to get the revised building instructions and pieces. I would persist in demanding the update as it is a known issue and there's no reason why we shouldn't get it after paying $$$ for the set.
    This is totally dorky of me as I'm soon about to hit another 30-something b-day, but I mentioned this to my mother who had purchased this set for me and my nephew and in typical motherly fashion she too is going to call or write or something.
    Hi I'm 5.
    once a mother, I guess...
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    I'm surprised that people are having difficultly. I called and just referenced "widespread reports of a problem" and my knowledge that a service pack was available. She asked the set number, took a moment to look at any service notes she had for the set, and confirmed there was an issue and the service pack was ordered. This was about 2 weeks ago in case this resistance is a newer phenomenon.
    After an email exchange back and forth with customer services, they have finally agreed to send me the service pack. I think I would have had quicker results if I'd phoned instead of emailed.
    I am with rocao, I called, had a 3 minute conversation and got my parts pack a couple weeks later. I am not sure why some are having issues while some are not. I do think you need to at least physically call for this as emailing about this issue seems to be more unreliable. I have had to call about several missing pices from sets (including the death star someone took the minifigs out of) and they have never once even questioned me about it. Of course I also have copies of reciepts (which I did need for the minifig replacements). I think i would just call, and tell them you are having the problems on the large fuel tank and be polite and you should not have any issues.
    ^ Likewise. I always call, never e-mail, and my queries, including the shuttle repair pack, are generally dealt with in moments.
    Maybe I will call, now that it's been two days since I sent my email, seeing as how I've not received a response other than the auto-responder.
  • wander099wander099 Member Posts: 114
    I agree, calling is probably your best bet. I have always got a quicker response when I bothered to make a phone call and the customer service people are very helpful on the phone.
    I called again yesterday and spoke with a nice woman about several things (my son wanting to send in a picture he drew of thanks and I re-opened the service pack issue) This time I had no issues and was promised a service pack. I guess it's all who you speak with and what phone number you call. One number goes to a generic line another has option 1 for missing pieces. (this is the number that was most helpful to me)
    Got mine in the mail this morning, I'm really pleased I made the effort so thanks to all the contributors in this thread for giving me the motivation to do so :-)
    I called Thursday night because I hadn't received a response to this inquiry, but then received a response to one I submitted about the MBA program afterwards.

The representative was very friendly and helpful, and was able to look up my email history based on my phone number - which is both impressive and a bit scary, but whatever. Anyway, she said that the parts pack had been sent out to me that very day and I should receive it any day now.
  • CortezCortez Member Posts: 19
    I sent Lego UK an email about this a month ago. They never even replied. :o(
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^ Mark it as a complaint, they you will get a reply :-)
  • allyburnsallyburns Member Posts: 62
    edited May 2011
    Hi, I may need the service pack too, out of curiosity, what exactly is in the service pack?
    Anyone fancy scanning the service instructions to show others what is involved, or provide a link to them on the web?

Thanks in advance!
  • NicksBricksNicksBricks United StatesMember Posts: 207
    edited May 2011
    Hi, I may need the service pack too, out of curiosity, what exactly is in the service pack?
    Anyone fancy scanning the service instructions to show others what is involved, or provide a link to them on the web?

Thanks in advance!
    http://smashing-bricks.com/2011/03/11/lego-10213-faulty-parts-alternate-building-instructions/