Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Death Star build

mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
edited May 2012 in Building and Techniques
Finished the Death Star, but annoyingly got more "spare parts" at the end than I should have.

Does anybody understand what the black rod for the Darth Vader minifig is supposed to represent?

Comments

• kw1980kw1980 Member Posts: 48
    When i finished i realised i had used the wrong colour of grey part, way back at the start of the build (trash compactor). I just left it as is. I also had quite a lot of spares, I just assumed because it was a large set they gave more.
    Cant help with an answer to the Darth Vader black rod though, sorry.
  • mattheww888mattheww888 Member Posts: 87
    I have this set, too and don't recall a "black rod" for Darth Vader. @mressin, can you be more specific about the part?
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,242
    It is in the minifig page of the instructions. It just shows a black bar, like a light sabre rod, laying in front of darth vader.
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    @matthew888 It is as #graphite says: there are three black rods (4 studs long) in the set. Two belong to the railing in the emperor's chamber, the third features right at the beginning in the instructions, apparently belonging to the Darth Vader minifig. I have no idea what it's supposed to represent.
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    It's for when Darth Vader opens his planet's Parliament ... after all, don't all Parliaments have "Black Rod" on hand for the ceremonials??
    Hmm as the set contains at least one figure from the expanded universe, maybe the rod represents something that's not in the movies?
    ^ You referring to the assassin droid? Appears from the wiki that IG-88 (an assassin droid) is actually seen in Ep V on Bespin when Chewie retrieves C3PO's parts. Other than that I dont see a non OT figure in the set.
    I know of R2-Q5 (the Black R2 Unit).
    edited May 2012
    ^ The wiki for him mentions he was on and destroyed on the 2nd death star. Not sure if they ever show a black droid in the movie though. But you're right about the possibility the rod is from the EU. In one of the Clone Wars cartoon episodes the Death Watch leader has a light sabre that is black with a glow so maybe in the EU Darth Vader has a similar one and that rod is for the purpose of acting that out.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ seems unlikely such an obscure reference would be included in the LEGO set.
  • muffenmanmuffenman Member Posts: 75
    I do not think it is meant for Darth Vader but Darth Sidious. He is supplied in other sets with a black rod!

He see on the death star (During the Imperial Inspection I think) walking with a crooked stick!
    ^Very plausible. Thanks!
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited May 2012

It was meant as a barrier to protect the exhaust port, which is right below the main port. They just didn't get round to fitting it yet - but not to worry, it's not like anything bad is going to happen down there...
    :o)