Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Kingdoms Chess Set

JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
edited May 2012 in Collecting
Look what showed up in my store today. 28 minifigures for $50.

Comments

• jocappyjocappy Member Posts: 207
    Is this for sale? I'll take it :)
  • ljames28ljames28 Member Posts: 88
    That's very interesting, I thought kingdoms was dead. There's something rather disgusting about the silver plastic edging thing though.
  • jocappyjocappy Member Posts: 207
    True^
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    I was just wondering the other day when they would release another chess set. My son will love it. I'll be replacing the plastic border with a brick built solution. Perhaps use the blay masonry profile bricks from the LotR sets.
  • parkerwilsonparkerwilson Member Posts: 142
    This looks like a very cheap way to build up your kingdom army's, I will be getting a couple on the 16th
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    That's very interesting, I thought kingdoms was dead...
    Seems like there's still hope. I was thinking the time was ripe for a proper Dragon castle, then they went and announced LoTR...

Doesn't seem to be on the UK [email protected] yet.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,744
    Wow. I guess this is what they meant when they said the Kingdoms theme would continue (this and the joust). That's a great price for that many figs, but yes the plastic outer moulding is hideous. I guess someone will find an inventive use for it other than a chessboard.

I hope the figs are regular and not outsourced plastic.
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard UtahMember Posts: 320
    edited May 2012
    @Jenni Can you tell us if the figures originated in Denmark or China?

If I could only convince my wife that we need to go by the Lego store tonight...
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    I may be able to use the moulding to reshap into a HP chess set :) Hmmmm
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    @mcnwakeboard I didn't buy it, our LEGO spending in the last month hit 4 figures and it will be around for a while.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,194
    LEGO did a great job keeping this secret.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,366
    They might be glued, but fantastic. I hope they do UK too.
    ^ Hadn't thought of that. I hope not, the magnets were glued as a blanket policy to keep a consistency with their star wars licensing agreement, but I don't see why this would apply to this set. And then surely it would cease being a lego chess set, and just be a chess set!

Feels like a missed opportunity for a dragon knight King and Queen, or even a green jester, especially with TLG unlikely to pick up this style of Kingdoms sets in the LOTR stop gaps. They would have made this highly desirable, as it stands it's still a nice way to bulk out one's armies.
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,101
    They might be glued, but fantastic. I hope they do UK too.
    Per Lego.com, it's 328 pieces.....so, by the looks, I don't thinks these are glued. Nice looking set.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,093
    @MCNwakeboard There's no doubt in my mind these are Chinese plastic. Just based off the price and amount of minifigures, and the older chess sets which were known for having the worst quality minifigures. The piece count is reassuring though, as I thought the minifigures would be glued at the waist at least. 50 actually seems really cheap, but I don't remember what the other Chess sets sold at.
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard UtahMember Posts: 320
    Good point. That just might be my excuse for passing on it.

It looks like the price is consistent with the crownie and Viking chess sets so that is good.
  • ninjagolightlyninjagolightly Member Posts: 140
    So red has jesters for bishops and green has.. knights for bishops?!?!
    I guess LEGO is very serious about the "no religious imagery" part!
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,292
    Your point about not evoking religious images with a proper bishop still stands, but the jester is actually the knight by the placement on the board. The bishop piece is on either side of the king and queen.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Looks like the green king is a wizard. I would have made the wizard was a bishop.
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Member Posts: 291
    I'd grab one of these in a heartbeat if it shows up on the UK store.

I am a very keen chess player and have been toying with the idea of MOCing a decent Lego SW chess-set. The one that's out at the moment just doesn't cut it, mainly because of the microfigs (I think?).
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Since we're talking about Kingdoms...

What I find really interesting is that on Amazon, MMV is outselling Joust, even with MMV being sold out and sold by 3rd party sellers at 35% over RRP, while Joust is sold by Amazon at RRP.

Not really about this chess set, and I wouldn't have posted here otherwise, but Kingdoms/Castle is so limited right now, it makes me wonder how well this set will sell.

Will I buy one? I don't know... Tempting, because of all the minifigs. Shame about the base, it is screaming for a brick-built base, but perhaps that would have doubled the cost, and Lego knows that many of us will just build an army with these guys and never use the chess board?

This makes me want a good Star Wars Chess set. I wonder how well a proper UCS Chess set would do, with a proper brick-built base and all the right figs. Say a $99 price-point for a 700 part set, with 32 minifigs, I suspect it would sell... well. :)

This makes me want a good Star Wars Chess set. I wonder how well a proper UCS Chess set would do, with a proper brick-built base and all the right figs. Say a $99 price-point for a 700 part set, with 32 minifigs, I suspect it would sell... well. :)
    But surely it's verging on breaking the Hasbro license thingy, so not likely to happen?
    Now all we need is:

Romans vs Barbarians
    Spartans vs Persians

And maybe ...

Zombies vs Shaun of the Dead

They could also do a good LOTR one, with hobbits and orcs as pawns.
    But surely it's verging on breaking the Hasbro license thingy, so not likely to happen?
    That is why I suggested a real brick built base. Lego has said multiple times that there must be "substantial" construction elements. Surely a proper base would be more "substantial" than the small battle packs that Lego clearly sells just to sell minifigs?
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Perfect Christmas present...guess I'll have to get it (and a free hulk mf).
  • BillDeenBillDeen Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2012
    That base is horrid.

The model's super cool, though. Kingdom's isn't my favorite, but this is lookin' (mostly) good.
  • ninjagolightlyninjagolightly Member Posts: 140
    Now all we need is:

Zombies vs Shaun of the Dead
    Reavers vs Companions
    Somebody put it on CUUSOO!
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    I think it's a reasonable assumption that this "set" is what LEGO was referencing when they Facebooked that Kingdoms would continue in 2012. :o/
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,536
    edited May 2012
    @MCNwakeboard There's no doubt in my mind these are Chinese plastic. Just based off the price and amount of minifigures, and the older chess sets which were known for having the worst quality minifigures. The piece count is reassuring though, as I thought the minifigures would be glued at the waist at least. 50 actually seems really cheap, but I don't remember what the other Chess sets sold at.
    The other Chess sets (excluding the 150 dollar deluxe one) were $49.99 but I am pretty sure they were not Chinese figures.

Wish it was heroes vs the Orcs, but oh well...

• CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    What a great idea @madforLEGO :)
    @madforLEGO Yeah that would be awwwwesome!
  • cynthilinacynthilina Member Posts: 188
    The chess set is not a bad Idea ya know. Lego has been looking for a way to get a ton of the mini figs out without violating any of the licenses and this wold be perfect. Imagine an avengers Chess set!! This may not have an appeal to the people that collect sets but for army builders this is perfect!!
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Thought the Castle set of skeletons vs knights was the best.
  • hewhocaveshewhocaves Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    FYI the brickset site lists the # of minifigs in this set as 3.. I can attest that it's not 3. There are 32 pieces in a chess set. The 4 rooks aren't minifigs, so 32-4 = 28 :)

For 28 minifigs + a green baseplate (the chess board under the white/black plates this is an awesome deal at USD $50!

Yeah, the minifigs may be chinese, but they are proper minifigs (not glued at all - assembly is 95% putting minifigs together).

So you figure take off ~$10 for the baseplate (leaving you with $40-) and you're getting 28 minifigs for under $2- a minifig. Wow.

John
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    I don't see what the the big deal about the Minifigures being made in China. Everyone is crazy over the Collectible Minifigures and all the them are made in China. The only concern I have is people buying this set and parting it out and selling the Minifigures. Are these different than the ones included in the other Kingdoms sets?
    ^ Me neither. I have never had a problem with a chinese made CMF. I don't see what the fuss is about.
    There was a noticeable difference in the Kingdoms Battle Pack fig quality, and normal set fig quality, so this may be the same concern. If I'm honest it's more of the look than the actual quality eg Black legs have a more matt look than the normal lego 'sheen'. Also a some of the lion knights were pink when they had white printing over their red torsos.
    Thanks, I don't have any of those. So the printing is similar to the doctor in the new hospital set, where his white coat becomes a bit blue over his legs?

• TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,435
    edited May 2012
    I've got very mixed feelings about this chess set.
    That ugly grey plastic outer moulding is a mayor bummer in my opinion. Not only is it hideous, it is completely unLegolike! Why ooo Why did the people at TLG not design a chess board which is completely made out of Lego bricks/plates and a proper base plate?!? This is really beyond me.

Nevertheless I might still sucker myself into buying this Kingdoms set as well, as I have collected all Kingdoms sets (except for one poly-bag with a Lion Kingdom archer [:(] which I unfortunately have never been able to obtain, and that 'Bricks & More' 5929 castle building set which I chose not to buy).

I actually don't really need it since I have already have quite a large collection of Kingdoms minifig's: 53 Dragon Knight chaps (the wizard included), and 52 Lion Kingdom minifig's which includes several princesses, queens, a prince, and a blue wizard, and 2 harlequins (not counting all my other civilians/peasant medieval minifig's).
    Oooh and now that I think of it I also still have 2 extra King's castle sets in unopened mint condition sitting in a closet (have not decided what to do with these 2 sets yet, I am not a hoarder that usually keeps sets unopened). Mmmmh tough cookie! I do suffer somewhat from completionist syndrome.

brickset.com/detail/?set=853373-1

The Dragon wizard (black king chess piece) is a little different; he does not have the dragon print on his hat and a white instead of a black beard. The black queen does not look regal at all, why did they not make a unique green and gold dress for her? If they can do it this for the CMF series why not for Kingdoms? A proper Dragon queen would have been much nicer! I also think it is a pity they never made a court-jester/harlequin in green and orange for the Dragon knights. This chess set would have provided the perfect opportunity to make up for that hiatus.

In my opinion the ultimate Lego Chess set ever made is the fantasy castle chess board. Unfortunately this masterpiece has been released in my Lego dark ages. A chess set truly a gem to treasure and cherish, if you have it (which I don't unfortunately). Maybe TLG will come up with a LOTR chess set of similar splendour?!
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Wow - I just saw this, really surprising! Can't wait to hear about the quality of the figs...
    @andhe; @CCC (and others)
    About the quality of those Chinese manufactured Kingdoms battle packs, I personally don't care either that they were made in China, but the printing (with regard to those battle packs) is inferior to the minifig's that come with other Kingdoms sets. E.g.: non the the Dragon knights have the actual metallic shiny gold paint on their legs and torso but a regular tawny copper-like non metallic colour. The lion knights have silver paint underneath the white on the red ABS in the sets so the white does not look pinkish, which is not the case with the battle pack fig's from China.

Indeed, the Chinese plastic has a more mate finish not a very shiny glossy finish. Their hands are softer i.d.: their hands make less or no clicking sound when you put a spear (or other minifig prop) in their hand/clutch, and their grip is less firm.
    On the plus side non of my Chinese manufactured minifig's have cracks in their arms or torso's, unfortunately this problem is rampant among many of my minifig's from the sets. So in that regard the Chinese manufactured minifig's aren't bad at all.

One more thing about the Kingdoms Chess set, I believe you do get a 32 by 32 stud green base plate (hope it is not glued to that outer rim grey plastic moulding?!), and 64 4x4 plates (32 white & 32 black) which is really great form the brick piece assortment point of view, if you decide to buy it. 28 minifig's is also really great (unless they are glued, which I hope they are not). However as a chess set the board should have had smooth plates, and the chess pieces (the minifig's) placed on a little plate/pedestal/support-base so handling them is easier and more convenient when playing chess, as executed here on the ultimate Lego chess set ever (so far):

brickset.com/detail/?set=852293-1
    Hey?!?!?!?!?
    The link does not work properly!!!!!
    I was referring to: 852293-1: Castle Giant Chess Set from 2008, with the Trolls vs. the Crown knights and dwarfs!
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,191
    I think I will pick it. I love playing chess and this makes a fairly inexpensive chess set.
    @LegobrandonCP
    Yep! That is THE ONE! thanks!
    I wish Lego would take that set back in production, but unfortunately they won't, I think. I love those trolls, ogres, dwarfs, skeletons, and Crown knights.
    Too bad here in The Netherlands we probably have to wait for LOTR and this chess set too until July or August to be released.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    I'm going to wait for the review of this set before I buy it. I love the CMF's and don't really care that they are made in China, but I would gladly pay extra for a quality made minifigure.
    ^ http://brickset.com/detail/?set=852293-1
    Just a thought...

If Lego made a similar set, similar part count, detail, etc... for Star Wars, and priced it at the same level, $199, how many would they sell? ;)
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    ^ Well they certainly would get a lot of sales from YOU. You're probably gonna get a boatload of these and sit on them until they go for $500 each. ;)
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Here is a video review of the chess set:

The set is on a regular sized green baseplate that fits within the molded outer area.