I've Created a Monster...

TalasAntaresTalasAntares Member Posts: 124
edited May 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Well, thanks to me, my wife is now thoroughly addicted to the Collectible Minifigs...not sure yet if this is a good or bad thing. :-)
I told her than there were a few other husband/wife type collectors on here and that she really wasn't the only woman into Lego...

Comments

• AETerryAETerry Member Posts: 48
    Indeed she is not the only woman out there collecting Lego, so view it as a good thing and something more the two of you have in common.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^^ Good thing. Tell her to join the forums :)
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Definitely not the only one!! I'm an addict too. there's a whole thread for the women to say hi and debate whether it matters that we're women who like lego or if we're all just AFOLs...(it doesn't matter, but it's also nice to know we're not alone!)
  • AnseltheCatAnseltheCat Member Posts: 141
    I've tried to get my partner interested in the CMs but she refuses. We do have a complete set of series 1 but she thinks we should stick to SW hence forth.

She does however like sorting all the parts into neat piles and being in charge of the instructions when we are building a set. She tells me it is the perfect way of destressing after a week at work.
  • HobHob My Lego houseMember Posts: 223
    My wife loves the CMF and most Lego. She even wanted Lego for her birthday last year, the super pack of the construction site. Brilliant set and have bought many other sets over the last 6months or so.
    I too find sorting the parts very soothing - though I now have a system, and it frustrates me when the bags from things like the Modulars don't follow an obvious pattern (ie all the tiles together, all the flats together etc...) lol! But I can spend many happy evenings sorting 10 kg into parts :-)

I have no interest in star wars, I'm much more into houses and town sets, the market village and the farm sets have much appeal. The CM are lovely, but I can't be bothered feeling bags and trying to get them all, I just pick up the odd one every so often.
    @anselthecat - have you bought her something like the winter bakery or toyshop? they might appeal, and can at least be used as christmas decorations if they don't fit with the rest of your colleciton
  • AnseltheCatAnseltheCat Member Posts: 141
    @Savage_Steel The Winter Bakery has a cat! Not quite the right colours but hey ho.

I've asked her many times but she keeps telling me not to buy her any Lego. She really likes the Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean films and books but says she has no interest in the Lego sets. She looks through all the catalogs we get through the post and although she admires some of the sets there is no desire to own or build them. I'm just pleased that she enjoys helping me build and wants to get involved at all.

Maybe I will leave her a couple of the upcoming PotC polybags on her bedside table and see if she builds them. My guess is they will get put away without being built, but maybe not.
  • wander099wander099 Member Posts: 114
    I dislike sorting, but I find building the sets very soothing. Opening up a brand new LEGO set is a nice way to relax after a horrid day.
    The cats are absolutely adorable, in fact I'm collecting lots of sets just because I like the animals so much! I can't wait for the mill raid for the chickens and goats. A long term goal of mine is to create a Noah's ark :-)
    I don't actually have the bakery yet, but I got a cat with the holiday train (along with an over sized rabbit!)
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    I dislike sorting, but I find building the sets very soothing. Opening up a brand new LEGO set is a nice way to relax after a horrid day.
    Off Topic - Yes! We've got quote back again!

On Topic - I too really enjoy a nice long build after a bad day.
  • Halberd777Halberd777 Member Posts: 32
    I won't continue the off topic talk about organizing legos of which both my wife and I do however. I recently got my wife hooked on the modulars starting with the emporium so I imagine we will now end up with most of the modulars.

Look at it this way it does help the curb wierd looks and talks about you spending a bit of money on legos.
  • AETerryAETerry Member Posts: 48
    Regardless of if the set is new or I'm digging through my personal pile... there is indeed a meditative quality to sorting through the bricks and swifting through the pile of bricks that's relaxing.
  • OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    Could you guys say that doing any type of build gives a similar feeling as "the flow"?
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    What do you mean by "the flow"? ... to me as a mountain biker it means a trail that just flows you through it, pushing you forward and making you grin from ear to ear as the shapes, gradients and surface come together to make one joined together experience that just gives you a huge adrenaline kick. And, to answer your question, no ;-)

.. for me its a different kind of buzz, more about calmness & creativity.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    ^ ha ha, I was going to post the same reply as it means the same to me, had a bit going on earlier tonight in fact :o). But then I looked up the flow on Wikipedia and it means something else, it'll always be a mtb expression to me though.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,441
    ^ If you and Si are both at the Symposium in a couple if weeks, it sounds as if we'll be talking bikes more than LEGO :-)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    edited May 2011
    "Flow" is basically a state of joyful and blissful immersion in a goal-directed activity. You effectively lose yourself in the activity for a while and shut out everything else, such that time seems to pass without you even realising.

Building a LEGO model, or even sorting a pile of LEGO pieces, certainly has the ability to induce that state in me - it's relaxing and calming, which is in part why my wife is supportive of my LEGO obsession despite the financial outlay....
    ^^^^ what he said :-) Lego is the perfect thing to concentrate the mind away from anything else in the world. :)