Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Missing Piece Counts

2»

Comments

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,650
    edited May 2011
    The 'random series 4 CMF' doesn't, and can't, have a piece count!
    I've not got round to adding my set of S. 4 minifigs to the database yet, so that can't be causing my export issue.
    The *2* refers to the number of unique sets that there are piece counts for, so in this test, only one of the sets I own doesn't have a piece count, which I think is how we'd expect it to work, isn't it?
    Well, yes and no. While it's certainly one logical way of doing it, see my earlier example above - if I happen to have 100 multiples of a set which has a missing piece count, you could argue that I have 100 sets missing a piece count, not just 1.... That having been said, now I understand how the calculation is done that's fine.

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited May 2011
    The 'random series 4 CMF' doesn't, and can't, have a piece count!
    Yep I know, I was just stating this was the missing one in my count not questioning why it was missing. However, I may have to open them all just to correct this problem, such a slave I am to the OCD!

As for your explanation of how it all works, I agree that's how I'd expect to work, so you'll hear no complaints from me.
  • meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    The *2* refers to the number of unique sets that there are piece counts for, so in this test, only one of the sets I own doesn't have a piece count, which I think is how we'd expect it to work, isn't it?
    That is just my point, I don't think it is clear. I was never sure which the count refers to, and I think DrD was confused earlier as well, so I'm sure I'm not alone. Instead of saying this: "We have piece counts for 194 of them." Couldn't you say, "We have piece counts for 194 of the 194 different sets."

I'm still not sure what this refers to by the way, "Using that data we have calculated that you own 29671 pieces! " Is that calculation counting duplicates of sets I own (pieces in the sets x 244), or is that multiplying the pieces in the sets x194?
    ^ the former, it counts duplicates in the piece count.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,914
    ^ Yes it does. I'm happy to change the words if we can propose and reach agreement here.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    @Huw, once you've successfully negotiated with the Bricklink folks, the next step is to allow us to enter loose bricks into the database (pretty please !); then we can really start to nail down accurate piece counts.... Using Peeron for this is sooo slooooow PLUS it's getting more and more out of date so newer parts aren't even on the database....
    So if this is part of the strategic plan for Brickset, to eventually add a parts database in addition to a sets database, wouldn't it be better to standardize to the TLG system of parts versus the Bricklink or Peeron system? I'm referring to names of colors and parts, as my understanding is they vary between the databases.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    edited May 2011
    @brickmatic
    I posted that in another topic before

Hopefully it [Brickset Inventories] will work on the official part IDs, not those random numbers BL has come up with, but maybe a link to the part on BL? What about using the official images (for newer sets at least) - http://us.service.lego.com/en-US/replacementparts/showBrick.aspx?item=4261528&lod=5&size=2
    edited May 2011
    I'm happy to change the words if we can propose and reach agreement here.
    How about:

"You own 761 sets (606 unique).

We have piece counts for 760 (605 unique) of your sets. Using that data we have calculated that your 760 sets contain 121401 pieces.

We have retail prices for 500 (464 unique) of them. Using that data we have calculated that your 500 sets have a total retail value of £10459."

• 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,013
    edited May 2011
    @atkinsar

I prefer using "different" vice "unique," The word different is "not alike" and unique is more "one-of-a-kind."

Here's my spin on your suggested wording:

"You own 761 sets (606 different).

We have piece counts for 760 (605 different) sets. Using that data we have calculated that your 760 sets contain 121401 pieces.

We have retail prices for 500 (464 different) sets. Using that data we have calculated that your 500 sets have a total retail value of £10459."

I changed "unique" to "different" and changed very little of the wording.
    ^ I'm not fussed either way, different is fine with me.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,914
    It's getting a bit wordy isn't it!

Some of those figures aren't calculated yet so I'l have to rustle up some more queries to do so.
    edited May 2011
    ^ To be exact, it's 9 extra words :-). I think there's plenty of room in the box to fit those 9 extra in, and those 9 little words make the statements clearer. I appreciate I sneaked a couple of new stats in there, I was hoping you wouldn't notice! The reasoning was, I think it makes it consistent with the opening statement:

"You own 761 sets (606 different)."

Anyway, there's a nice Wednesday night challenge for someone, without adding any extra words to the existing wording (45 by my count), make the statements clearer.

On the flip side, it does occur to me, us collectors can get a little obsessive about the smallest of details, and I'm sure you've got better things to be working on!
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,013
    One set that does not list piece count is set 3443: LEGO Mosaic. What I remember when buying this set......to maximize the number of 1x1 plates was to not send in a photo or picture but submit a gif or jpeg file with the colors (black, white, gray) filled in on the online template. Anyone else remember doing this?

In any case, the max number of pieces received would be 2300. The number varied based on what photo or picture submitted.
  • jgadgetjgadget Member Posts: 192
    I remember it well, and spent a bit of time adjusting the image, to try to balance out the quantites of black, dark grey, light grey, very light grey and white 1x1 plates.

Although there would always be 1936 plates in the image, since the bags of plates were supplied in sizes of 90, there would usually be a lot of plates left over at the end.

I have 2 of these built up at the moment, the standard tiger and one of my daughter's face when she was about 3, although she would have been 6 at the time.

Wow, that was a long time ago, my daughter's now learning to drive!
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    edited May 2011
    I prefer using "different" vice "unique," The word different is "not alike" and unique is more "one-of-a-kind."
    Unfortunately "different" is confusing. If I have 2 of set A and 2 of set B then I have a total of 4 sets. Would you say the four sets are different? Would you say the sets are alike? How many of the 4 sets are alike? I would just say that I own 2 unique sets. That would be clear. The meaning of unique, in this case, is "distinctively characteristic" and not "being the only one."