Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Online Fraud: Drop Shipped LEGO, etc. (eBay, Amazon Marketplace, Bricklink, etc.)

Comments

• 260madison260madison Member Posts: 50
    edited May 2012
    http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-City-Cargo-Train-7939/dp/B003A2JCR2

without mentioning specific names, the seller is currently listed it at $149.99 + $7.99 shipping on amazon (there are a few that sells for less, but with no feedback)

For what it is worth, I hope this is not a scam, when I client buy I was not aware of any of these, now that he sent me tracking info and it come from Olive Branch MS via fedex and has a reference number starting with Y on the shipment, my suspicion grew

will keep you guys posted

edit: i got confused about another set i bought, this is the one i am suspicious about, the other one came UPS ground from the seller directly and the seller told me he got buy 1 get 1 half off from TRU (grand emporium), I paid 130 for that one with shipping
  • LovaqueroLovaquero Member Posts: 23
    @Pacific493 - Go throw a topic up on Bricklink and out this fool. He/she/slime ends up giving the rest of us legit sellers a bad name.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890

edit: i got confused about another set i bought, this is the one i am suspicious about, the other one came UPS ground from the seller directly and the seller told me he got buy 1 get 1 half off from TRU (grand emporium), I paid 130 for that one with shipping
    That really makes no sense either. TRU BOGO price for that would have been $113, and at $130 and after amazon's fees, he basically got $110 for it, which is less than he paid. As far as I know, selling something for less than you paid is bad business. :) Makes no sense for him to have sold it for so little...
    @Bandit - I have no idea but thought I got in on a good deal for that one, maybe the seller was just bad at math :)
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    ^. You never know. Maybe he had to come up with rent money for the month... :)
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    @Pacific493 - Go throw a topic up on Bricklink and out this fool. He/she/slime ends up giving the rest of us legit sellers a bad name.
    I didn't have to...they had already been suspended by the time I got the sets.

• voidstarvoidstar Member Posts: 21
    Another one got me; reported to Thor today. This guy was an Amazon seller, with only good feedback, and none of the comments were giveaways.

Mine was definitely not a price that was 'too good to be true', it was only ~15% off retail I think, well within Amazon's price range. When the package came from Lego I thought, 'wow, the seller must have snagged one on sale that I missed', then I realized he ordered extra stuff (probably to keep me quiet) and that's when I checked the addresses.

So if it's a new current set, it's FBA-only for me from now on.

I'm going to be really bummed if Lego blacklists me now and cancels my May the 4th orders...
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    If Lego fans want to keep retail prices reasonable it is our responsibility to report these fraudulent sellers and sales to Lego and do what we can to help them catch the culprits. Credit card scams are hurting families and individuals world wide. Lets not be part of the problem when we can be part of the solution. I believe that if a buyer receives drop shipped items it is their responsibility to do their part to stop the practice.
  • muffenmanmuffenman Member Posts: 75
    I often just bid on ebay Items, not much thought. I just bought SW 9494 Anakins Jedi Interceptor. Thought it to be a one off Bargain, Bid up, won it for £27 (brand new).

I just got thinking This set is £34.99 on lego.com & it would cost the seller around £7 in Ebay fees & Posting (postage was free to me & cost them £3.65!) so that is £20 profit for a brand new set!!

I am shure they listed this set before and sold for not more then £30, so I watched them and anouther just sold £34 and then immediately another listed. so that is well under £30 return from each set

I just looked at it after reading this and thought humm, Even a distributor buying wholesale has to pay more than this!

ebay.co.uk/itm/BNIB-9494-STAR-WARS-LEGO-SET-ANAKINS-JEDI-INTERCEPTOR-BOXED-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-/140750099750?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item20c55c1526#ht_1053wt_1185

Item I orderd arrived safe & 100% new and not from lego. So how does this work, have a look let me no what you think???

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited May 2012
    2012 set, doubt its ever been on sale. Nothing else for sale. Odd. Only thing I thought was they might have bought loads to keep the TC-14s but you say its been going on for a while? Other option would be a 'missing' container?
  • muffenmanmuffenman Member Posts: 75
    2012 set, doubt its ever been on sale. nothing else for sale. odd.
    Only available on-line Lego.com (officley) now I am looking, is it in the Lego shops too??

Now I go back and look at it after reading this I am thinking i need to take more care it was cheap but is it "hot"?? I do not ever buy or watch pirated films 'Protect what you love!!!'
    If its not drop shipped then there's no reason to assume its hot and more than likely there's a legitimate reason to it all. enjoy a good deal. Looks like 1 person has bought 4 of them!

The only other thing that makes me even slightly suspicious is that the sales are all private, but on its own thats no reason to think the worst.
  • gdelahoussegdelahousse Member Posts: 153
    edited May 2012
    Sometimes there are just good sales on 2012, right now on Amazon US, 9493 X-wing is 25% off, free shipping (sold by Amazon, so 100% legit)
    Except that even if you got that set at 30% off (which its never been in the UK), selling at £27 and free delivery you'ld still be making a loss after p&p and ebay/paypal charges.
  • cynthilinacynthilina Member Posts: 188
    For me its going to be either Lego or I walk in to stores. Way to many scams out there and they are getting harder and harder to find. Had 2 friends scammed on on eBay and one on amazon just this week. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary just 10-20% off during the may the 4th of course, That should have been the give away. But the addresses did not match and it was someone elses card.
  • DaddyWhaleDaddyWhale Member Posts: 130
    For me its going to be either Lego or I walk in to stores. Way to many scams out there and they are getting harder and harder to find. Had 2 friends scammed on on eBay and one on amazon just this week. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary just 10-20% off during the may the 4th of course, That should have been the give away. But the addresses did not match and it was someone elses card.
    I think you are safe if you buy from Amazon itself, rather than from their marketplace third-party stores. It's fairly easy to determine whether you are buying from Amazon itself or a third-party. Amazon Warehouse Deals seems safe too.

And of course the traditional stores like Toy 'r Us, Walmart and Target should be safe, including their internet stores.
  • voidstarvoidstar Member Posts: 21
    What do I do with my Amazon scammer?

I reported to Thor who passed me on to someone else but haven't heard back from LEGO.

I demanded a refund from the seller and told him that even if he's just a middleman he has to stop this dropship scam. He's in denial mode:

"Hello,

We understand your concerns but you are mistaken in your analyses sir. We have been in business with LEGO for a long time and have an authorization contract to sell their products. We will be happy to refund your order after you return the item to us. If you wish to proceed then let us know."

I'm not sending anything back to him. Is it time to report to Amazon too or let LEGO handle it? What's the best way?
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    I would call amazon, but certainly do not ship anything back.... they may just keep the money and sell the item again
    @voidstar have you confirmed with Lego that the seller is fraudulent? Rather than dealing with the seller I would think we might be better off letting Lego to sort this out (I said we because I think my order from amazon marketplace might be problematic as well)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,219
    edited May 2012

And of course the traditional stores like Toy 'r Us, Walmart and Target should be safe, including their internet stores.
    You are wrong.
    The scammers have an entirely different thing they do at physical stores. They buy the sets, yanks the part out, reseal (some time expertly-as in you cannot tell) the boxes and return them. The customer services desks either do not look or do not see and then accept the return as an unopened box and put it back on the shelf until someone buys it and opens it to find a bunch of garbage, or parts to another set..
    This happened to me with two passenger train sets purchased from a TRU, and the seals looked near perfect...

Now the sets from warehouses may be ok, but I think that lately they may also be affected, but not certain (I have to open up one of the passenger trains I got from TRU via delivery as one of the seals looked like it was moved and a bar code was taped to it.. not sure if that was done because of my situation or if the warehouses are now getting these tainted sets as well. Ironically this set I received was one that TRU sent me due to the other one being garbage (turbo tank parts in the train set box)

All I can say is there is a special place in the afterlife for such scum...

So while there is no fear of drop-shipping at a retail outlet (store or online) there are different things these scum are doing... LEGO MUST improve the security of these boxes somehow to deter this... Either some foolproof way to seal the boxes, or like others have suggested put a clear piece of plastic windwo into the box to see what is in there.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,910

All I can say is there is a special place in the afterlife for such scum...

There sure is. They have to play with megabloks for eternity.
    can someone comment on how long does it take for lego loss prevention to get back to you after reporting a problematic purchase?
    Has been 7 days for me, didn't get a reply. However after I called LEGO CS, they gave me an email address to send the order number and a copy of the invoice and I got a reply from them a couple hours after.
    Has been 7 days for me, didn't get a reply. However after I called LEGO CS, they gave me an email address to send the order number and a copy of the invoice and I got a reply from them a couple hours after.
    did your order involved fraudulent activity (not on your part of course)?
  • romdamromdam Member Posts: 136
    How am I to know I am receiving stolen merchandise? I mean I buy from an auction and that person sends to me. I contact the seller direct and get my money back. So who is going to say I received stolen merchandise? The seller?
    @romdam

if the seller sent it to you directly, you won't know for sure but in most cases should be okay.

I found out my order to be fishy when it came from lego and included a lego packing slip, i know for sure when i placed my order they didn't have a sale, so i went to the order status and check for the order number (they require last name and order number on lego.com which are both available on the packing slip) and found out that the price paid to lego was more than what i paid to the seller, needless to say something is definitely wrong in my mind.

after reporting to lego, they confirmed the sale was indeed fraudulent and understand that i was a victim in this too, they worked with amazon and the seller has been dealt with as far as they can tell me.

i offered to pay them back, they said just to be more careful in the future
    First time it happened there was red flags that I was not aware, I have been careful since then. Then 2 weeks ago I ordered a 2012 set at 12% off from an Amazon established seller (1+ year), hundreds of feedback, LEGO sales were only a partial activity, that seller was selling mostly books ... but yet it was a drop shipping, the day I received its Amazon store was closed...
    What I am saying is, I buy the sets, receive them, get to the seller and demand my money back, get a refund, call Lego and the tell me not to bother sending them back, and then people here have said I am "in possession of stolen property". But for all it's worth, I just find a seller and buy the items. I don't know they are involved with fraud if the persons feedback all looks good. So they sell things cheap. I'm just a buyer. What do I know.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^ You know because the box comes from the LEGO [email protected] service and the invoice in the box shows some stranger got billed for it more that you paid to the scam artist on eBay. That's how you know.
    Yea, I know that but people have said I have "received stolen merchandise". I have no idea when me, a normal ebayer, buys something. I get a refund, Lego tells me not to bother, and I end up with the stuff.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,219
    edited May 2012
    Claiming Ignorance is not a defense. Ask anyone that has received stolen property. The Company that owned that property has every right to ask for it back.
    Especially if sounds like someone seems to fully understand that there are drop ship scams going on and they are clearly benefiting from it.
    That being said, if you call LEGO and LEGO tells you to not worry that is one thing.. ASSUMING it is OK though is another... but whatever.. If you do something wrong then someone will likely catch you,and you will get punished one way or another. If you did not do anything wrong, or reported it and they said keep it do not worry, then nothing will occur.
    But I will say if someone fully KNOWs this type of stuff happens and chooses to feign ignorance because they know that LEGO could just tell them to keep the item and that is that, well that is not right.
    I'm guessing that eventually if someone tries that approach long enough LEGO will catch on.
    So they will say someone is "dumb" for bidding on items to get a deal? One time I said the sets were a gift and I already sent them out to my nephew. They said don't bother asking for them back. Another time I said the sets were opened by my son and mixed in his pieces. No, don't send. Another time I told them I had the trains set up and the person said they can't do anything with them anyways once the bags are opened. So I guess I make bad buys?
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    ^ Getting caught in the dropshipping scam once is understandable, but if you've already figured out that you're receiving stolen merchandise, then buying in the same manner repeatedly and then asking for a refund while knowing that TLG will let you keep your opened boxes makes it seem like you want free stolen LEGO.
    @rondam

so all 3 times you received a drop-shipped box from lego and sense something might be wrong but decided to open/gift/build the set first then worry about things later, no offense but sounds like you are trying to take advantage of the situation as well.

i tried to sort things out before touching the set, and offered lego that i will pay for the merchandise

i could be wrong, but it sure appears that you know what is going on and choose to play along to your advantage
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,233
    ^^ You've been involved in multiple Drop Ship scams??? And then you lied to LEGO about the status of the sets???
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^It doesn't sound like he lied, per se, so much as is now completely abusing the situation. Fool me once...
    No, I'm meaning this is what has happened. Didn't lie, just saying what had happened once I called Lego. The gifts, my wife sent away like the second the got here. The other, my kid had opened while I was at work, and the first was the one I had opened and didn't think anything was wrong.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^ You know, after the third time you could have offered to pay for the set.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    I realize that many things can happen to a product by the time it gets into your hands. There is a scam going on with Walmart and Apple where people are opening their Ipads and finding just a legal pad inside the box. Most instances Walmart will not refund your purchase because they say it happened at Apple. I guess you just have to cross your fingers when it comes to in store purchases. I don't know how returns work, but maybe there is a way to "flag" an item that has been returned and alert the next person that wants to buy that item.

As far as drop shipping is concerned, I won't buy "sealed" Legos on Ebay if they are still available at the major retailers and Lego.com. That's just what I do.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&seller=A2ZJBBRGVENMVK

4 out of 5:
    "This seller likes to give outrageous estimated shipping dates, so that it looks better when it comes before that date. It took nine days from when i ordered to receive the item. I was shocked when it arrived to see that it was from Lego.com, it was package from Lego themselves."
    Anthony D., May 16, 2012

looks like i found another possible scammer, so just email loss preventions @ lego?
    I actually bought from that seller a few weeks ago, reported to LEGO and Amazon, but store is still open...
    @glelahousse

i was buying my kid another train set, wasn't going to buy from a third party anyway but though to check reviews to see what is up, since you bought from this one and you said that you have reported them, i am guessing it was another dropship scam?
    Yes, I bought 4 sets, they all came in separate boxes from LEGO with 4 different "bill to" name... I wish Amazon would move faster and LEGO would confirm... I am 99.9% sure, but would have liked to have confirmation to post it in feedback. At the time I reported to LEGO, they were not flagged yet as fraudulent, I have asked for updates since but got no reply...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200414340

they told me to go there to report a violation of their rules when i first reported the scam via chat on amazon.com, I gave them the lego.com order numbers, name of person billed to and [email protected] email, they won't tell you what happened but for what it is worth that seller is gone now (not this one but the same one you got scammed by in another purchase)
  • dk1007dk1007 Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2012
    I read this story on CNBC.com, below is a copy of the text. I guess not all cheap lego on ebay are drop ship or stolen CC. Read this amazing story!!!

Link to the story: http://www.cnbc.com/id/47525502

A Silicon Valley tech executive faces charges after authorities say he put fake bar codes on hundreds of Lego sets at various Target stores so he could buy the toys at steeply discounted prices, then sell them online for thousands of dollars in profits.

Thomas Langenbach, 47, was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday on four counts of burglary.

Authorities say Langenbach covered over the original bar codes with his own bar-code stickers to get a cheaper price.

They say investigators found hundreds of Lego sets at his posh San Carlos, Calif., home and learned he made thousands of dollars selling the pilfered sets of colorful toy bricks on eBay under the name "tomsbrickyard."

Eight baggies of bar code stickers were found in his car, police said.

Langenbach was already under surveillance by Target security officers who suspected him of the scheme when they spotted him at the chain's store in Mountain View on May 8. After he completed his purchases using the bogus bar codes, the store called police, and Langenbach was arrested, authorities said.

"They had recognized him when he walked in the store and had seen him on camera actually sticking bar-code stickers on to items," Mountain View police spokeswoman Liz Wylie told KNTV-TV.

Langenbach works for German software giant SAP . His LinkedIn profile lists him as a vice president in a Northern California division. Attempts to reach Langenbach, who is free on bail, were unsuccessful.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    ^ story is already being discussed in another thread!
  • dk1007dk1007 Member Posts: 49
    Sorry, I didn't know, these thread are so long, I only read the last page.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    Sorry, I didn't know, these thread are so long, I only read the last page.
    Not on this thread, but this one: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/4862/lego-scam-arrest :)
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    It happens to all of us at one time or another.
    any thoughts on this seller?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=B004P95ABG&isAmazonFulfilled=0&tag=noref-20&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&seller=AD6G2WIMVLLG0

not a whole lot inventory, little feedback and a few bucks less than lego (i don't plan on ordering from this one, just find it weird and thought it might be a scam)