Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Chrome C-3PO

samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,380
edited February 2012 in Collecting
Hi all,
As an owner of about 10 Chrome C-3PO's I've actually started noticing a variation in some of the C-3POs I have. While most of the C-3POs I have are the one's you see on all the pictures online (pic 2 below), I also have 2 that have a somewhat darker torso (pic 3). I would be really skeptical of the one's with the darker torso being frauds, if it wasn't for the fact that one of the one's with said darker torso is New in Bag, sealed. So did LEGO make 2 variations of the Lego C-3PO, one with a darker torso with stripes and one with a lighter torso without the darker stripes(?), or is there some sort of fraud going on here?
Any help is appreciated!
Cheers,
Sam

Comments

• The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    I don't think its fraud since look at the quality of both minifigs. They are exactly the same. LEGO must have had a new version and got a different print.
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,380
    So are there 5,000 of each? Or is one rarer than the other?
    I'm pretty sure they are the same rarity. They are both out of 10,000.
    But if there are two variations of a 1/10,000 figure, then couldn't there be say 100 of the ones with the darker torso, and 9,900 with the lighter torso? Just trying to figure this out, it seems LEGO would print two different Torso's for a ltd figure.
    It could be like that or maybe the printer was just a little blurry that day. I'd say the left one is better. It has a clearer print.
    Hmm... ok, thanks for your thoughts. Anyone else that could shed some light on this?
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 815
    It's not uncommon to see variants like this-- my offhand guess would be that they started the printing process, and then tweaked it before it finished. IE, they likely noticed that the torsos were coming out "too dark", and tweaked the printer before finishing the run.

As for the 1/10,000 rarity, that's not the real statistic, either. I'm not sure we'll ever know the true number produced. Essentially, LEGO produced 10,000+ chrome C-3PO's, and then placed *at least* 10,000 into sealed sets for purchase. It is also known that SOME sets contained *two* copies of the C-3PO, so it's *possible* (although unlikely) that *fewer* than 10,000 sets contained C-3PO's.

However, there was certainly an excess of chrome C-3PO's that were NOT placed into sets. At least several hundred, if not several thousand. A few hundred were given away at Comic-Con, and a bunch more (ballpark 100?) were given away to AFOLs that worked with LEGO on various projects as special gifts.

DaveE
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    How much do these go for?
    @davee123- I can agree with the first part, with perhaps a printing error. It's just hard to grasp that LEGO would change the printing of the figure. If that is the case though, couldn't one version be rarer than the other? Say there is 9,900 of pic 2, and 100 of pic 3 like I mentioned previously... wouldn't that increase the value dramatically of one of them?

Can't say I agree with there being more or less than 10,000 of the C-3POs. It does say on the bag 1/10,000 for starters, that paired with the fact that the figures are so rare found on eBay and other websites seems to prove that these figures are extremely limited. Thanks for your thoughts either way though DaveE!

@BoiseState, high prices paid have been $22.50 in an auction one out of bag, have seen New In Bag ones go for around $250+-$300+. Prices continue to rise though considering you could snag these for $100 roughly a year ago.
    edited February 2012
    If that is the case though, couldn't one version be rarer than the other? Say there is 9,900 of pic 2, and 100 of pic 3 like I mentioned previously... wouldn't that increase the value dramatically of one of them?
    I kinda doubt it-- It'll only increase the value if you can get hard evidence to suggest one's rarity over the other, and then widely demonstrate that to collectors who want to have both. But I'd categorize it more along the lines of a "misprint", which typically doesn't have much extra value among collectors. Doesn't mean there isn't demand, just not typically enough to warrant much of a price increase.
    Can't say I agree with there being more or less than 10,000 of the C-3POs.
    That part's been confirmed by LEGO: Yes, it's been confirmed that LEGO made more than 10,000 of them. It's also been confirmed by LEGO that "at least" 10,000 C-3PO's were placed into sets. And it's been confirmed by *fans* (not by LEGO) that some boxes contained more than a single chrome C-3PO.

DaveE
    edited February 2012
    I kinda doubt it-- It'll only increase the value if you can get hard evidence to suggest one's rarity over the other, and then widely demonstrate that to collectors who want to have both. But I'd categorize it more along the lines of a "misprint", which typically doesn't have much extra value among collectors. Doesn't mean there isn't demand, just not typically enough to warrant much of a price increase.
    True... I almost hope it doesn't get proven so that some of my C-3POs don't drop in price!
    That part's been confirmed by LEGO: Yes, it's been confirmed that LEGO made more than 10,000 of them. It's also been confirmed by LEGO that "at least" 10,000 C-3PO's were placed into sets. And it's been confirmed by *fans* (not by LEGO) that some boxes contained more than a single chrome C-3PO.
    Is there a link to show where this was "confirmed"?

Thanks for your help, DaveE.
    Cheers,
    Sam
    edited February 2012
    Man.. If I could find one for 22.50 I'd snap it up. Looking on EBay some are at around $60 for an opened one and they have a few bids. Guess that's what I get for only recently getting back into Legos, now I've gotta go back and buy the older stuff.
    Is there a link to show where this was "confirmed"?
    Here's one source:

http://www.fbtbforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=22522

I found out from Steve in person (rather than on a board), who shared a lot of other information about the whole process.

DaveE
    @BoiseState- That was a typo, real figure is $225.50. The ones you see with bids at $60 will inevitably go up much higher.

@DaveE
    That link is not working for me, says that the site was "nuked" and I have to have login information to get in it?
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @BoiseState I'm in the same situation as you in terms of getting back in and trying to catch up. Problem is there is soo much to catch up on and all very expensive in the end total. Be prudent with funds since there is also much good new stuff coming down the pipe and only get the old stuff that you can not live without.

Unless you're filthy rich, in which case the general rule is, "all of the above please".
    edited February 2012
    @BrickDancer, I've never been able to afford the market price either. I always get my C-3POs through negotiations, out of eBay, type of sales. The eBay market sales are way to high for me to deal with thus I have to find other means. I've gotten 2-3 NIB C-3POs for about $100 each.
    I don't have a single friend who has any remote interest in Lego, so I've been on eBay the last few months buying things here and there. Just from retail stores, I've bought probably 100 sets in the last 6 months. Pretty much any star wars/Harry potter sets I can find plus multiples so I can build some and keep some.

edited February 2012
    That link is not working for me, says that the site was "nuked" and I have to have login information to get in it?
    That's... annoying. The FBTB board was replaced in roughly 2009 or so, but the old board was kept for historical purposes, which is what that's a link to. I have no idea if you can still sign up for a new account there or not. You can give it a go, I suppose. I just use my old login info which my browser conveniently remembers.

Snippits from one of the posts from Steve Witt (the LEGO Community Coordinator at the time) in that thread:
    [...]
    Were more produced for promotional purposes?

yes

so the odds haven't changed for finding one in a set?

not at all. In fact, there's a better chance of getting one since there are more than 10,000 out there it means that there will indeed be other ways to get them (I gave 4 away at NMRA, 25 away at BrickWorld, who knows what will be next).
    [...]
    B) There were more than 10,000 (at least 10,500) of these figures produced, which again throws into doubt Lego's official stated numbers about how many were produced, because this reduces their per-unit value to collectors.

yes, there were more and its something that every company does, you always make some for promotions in addition to the actual box. Its not so significant that it makes the in box 10,000 less valuable (unless you're into number crunching to the 3rd decimal point). As it stands the 10,000 refers to the inbox exclusive. they were produced in such a way that they were immediately bagged.
    [...]
    DaveE
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,208
    @davee123 - If your computer ever crashes, the community may never recover. :o)
  • recordmanrecordman Member Posts: 44
    On the subject of different shades of the chrome gold….

I collected Hot Wheels in the past. Mattel made several gold chrome cars that collector's hunted for the variations in the color intensity, from very pale chrome gold to very dark chrome gold.

It's just the manufacturing process. That's all.

Collectors will decide if it's important enough for them to have a light one and a dark one. For me, 1 is enough.

Collecting Redlines made me crazy, because of the intense color hairsplitting of collectors.

As far as 10,000 units go, Mattel also has an equivalent in the 1995 Treasure Hunt Camaro. It has been selling on Ebay , on average, for $300 for years. To me, people have made this the defacto price for the car, not likely to increase any further.

The same for C-3PO. The generally accepted price will be set, or has already been set in the same vicinity. Collectors of these toys (Hot Wheels and Lego) seem very similar to me.
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    edited April 2012
    I have quite a few 2007 30th aniv. Star wars sets and was wondering what the rest of you did with yours. Open to look for the gold c-3po or keep it closed. I would think these sets would be selling higher just for the chance to get a special fig. but they don't seem to be. Sure there are only 10,000 but what the heck.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    Open open open!
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    Well, they are LEGO sets. And LEGO sets are meant to be opened and built and to be enjoyed with. So my answer would be to open it! Have fun with the build. :)
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    Open! Hell i opened and built my Winter Village Bakery today even though I was supposed to wait til Xmas. Build!
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    OPEN! ;)
  • rmarkworthrmarkworth GermanyMember Posts: 87
    Open it, of course!
    Why else did you buy it?
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,461
    @pteric I think I remember reading somewhere about someone weighing them? You would need very accurate scales, but it would tell you if one set had "a little extra" without needing to open them all.
  • joeejoee Member Posts: 42
    Why don't you used a metal detector?
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 895
    An 'actual' shiny C-3PO is worth more than the *potential* of the figure in a set - I think that in your heart you know that opening is the way forward :)
    The value for being 2007 won't really add much (if anything) to the value. Some buyers will assume that you've already checked, and have determined that they do NOT contain the C-3PO's, and that's why you're selling them. But pretty much ALL potential buyers won't really be eager to buy them in hopes of obtaining a C-3PO. Anyone that wants one would spend TONS more buying sealed 2007 sets (after verifying in each case that the seller didn't know the contents), and it would be cheaper for them to simply buy the figure outright.

I would argue, however, that many Star Wars sets in general will gradually increase in value (certainly in the past they have), and may simply be worth money going forward, regardless of whether or not they have C-3PO's in them.

Ultimately, it's up to you, of course-- but I wouldn't expect much extra value from the *possibility* of a chrome C-3PO. I think I'd treat the conundrum of opening or saving the set the same as any other Star Wars set!

DaveE
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    edited May 2012
    I know we will never find out,but since i kinda fell in love with the Chrome C-3PO figure i really start to wonder how many sealed copys are out there? I know 10.000 exist,but i guess a few ones still remain in some MISB-Sets,and a lot have been opened! Since the price keeps going higher and higher i have the feeling that we're going to see less sealed copys on BL/Ebay!
    What do you think?
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Silly question, but is there a list which indicates which sets may have included the figure? I have a lot of older sealed sets I wouldn't mind opening if there's a chance of finding one.
    Treasure-hunt;)
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,013
    Weigh the sets, especially if you have 2 of the same set, if one weighs a bit more than the other (approx weight of a standard minifig - legs/torso/head, no accessories). Maybe those stashing MSIB sets can post the weights of their sets and compare weights on same sets (assuming Lego put the same spares in each set).
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ You would need a *very* accurate scale to find a weight difference between a boxed set with and without a Chrome C-3PO minifig...
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,013
    Depends how big the set is. One in the 1500g max range should weigh to 0.1g on the right scale - how much does a minifig weigh? 5-8g i'm guessing. Again it depends if
    Lego have any weight variances with the same set eg are "spare" parts fixed or variable? Small sets that I have parted out lately are consistent in their spares.
    I know 10.000 exist
    The best estimate is between 10,500-11,000. At least 10,000 were packaged in Star Wars sets, but it's unknown exactly how many. Supposedly, 500 were given away at a convention in 2007, and another 100 or so (ballpark) were given away at AFOL conventions and special events, independently confirmed by various AFOLs. So, a good guess is roughly 10,600 or thereabouts. But we never had anyone internal actually corroborate the exact figures, beyond those stated above.
    Silly question, but is there a list which indicates which sets may have included the figure? I have a lot of older sealed sets I wouldn't mind opening if there's a chance of finding one.
    It was pretty annoying. The "official" word on the matter is that ANY Star Wars set from 2007 MIGHT contain a chrome C-3PO, with the one exception of the "battle packs", by which we assume is meant 7654 and 7655 (but I don't believe Steve ever mentioned them precisely by explicit number).

However, many 2007 sets were already released and on the shelves BEFORE the promotion was ever even announced-- so it was very disturbing to fans that a large contingent of 2007 sets didn't even have a CHANCE, since they were released earlier. LEGO did not actually mark the sets with a sticker or special printing that "might" have the C-3PO's.

One more point, though-- there *WAS* rumored to be a way to determine whether or not a set contained a C-3PO in it that was never (to my knowledge) released to the general public. In other words, there was a SLIGHT difference in the packaging, and people "in the know" spread that knowledge among a scant few people. Those people would then amaze everyone online by being able to accurately predict that their set has a C-3PO in it, without having weighed it.

This was repeated (again, supposedly) for chrome Darth Vader figures-- a very small difference in the packaging could inform you that you had a set with a chrome Vader packed inside. And again, that knowledge was pretty well guarded, and I personally can't confirm that it even existed-- but the evidence is pretty strong (IMHO).

DaveE
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Great info DaveE! You left something out though, and the way of determining was...
  • DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    I have one of the sealed chrome c-3po sets that I'm considering selling. If I would decide to sell, what is a fair price for one of those? $200 seems quite steep....
  • fyrmedhattfyrmedhatt Member Posts: 128
    $200 ia on the low side right now, take a look at the Bricklink price guide: bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?M=sw158

In the past two months every new figure sold has been sold for well over $300, so unless you sell it to someone you know will keep and enjoy the C3PO, chances are that someone buying it from you for $200 will turn around and make an additional $150...
    Oh. My.
    I actually have two C-3PO's, so I'd still have one left if I sold the other one. I bought waay to much Lego the last couple of months, so I thought that I should sell off some old stuff to balance the budget. $350 is just crazy, but a good thing for me, I guess.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Thank you for the info. I have about 8 sets from that year. I think it might be worth it to open them and take a look. Their value will take a hit but it would be worth it if I'm lucky.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    What are all these rumours of a new chrome C-3PO? Surely they're just referring to the TC-14, right?

http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=3172 (last 5 or so comments)

http://thebrickblogger.com/2012/04/lego-star-wars-new-chrome-gold-c-3po-coming/ (near the end of the story)

They all refer to TC-14. I read those awhile ago, and 99% sure it's all TC-14 information. It's the reason I sold some of my C-3POs off thinking it's price would take a hit because of a re-release. Turns out, it's a whole different figure and C-3PO will just continue to rise. Bad mistake on my part, but good thing I only sold off 3 and not more!
    @Duchessa, I would be interested in your C-3POs... feel free to PM me if you are thinking of selling!
    I'll think about it for a day or two. If I decide to sell it, I'll put it up for sale her on the Marketplace. I might also consider a trade, since I'm quite sure that the money will finance other purchases :) I'll let you all know!
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    I would be interested in what you would look for in trade @Duchessa. And no I am not one of those who will turn around and just sell it, lol. I have an OCD completionist habit :) Have to have one of everything ..... this OCD is getting expensive :/
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    I wish I could of got that figure, I was in my dark ages and I can't belive the prices going out there
  • JawascrumpJawascrump Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2012
    Just polling interest, if you have (or intend to get) a chrome C3PO poly bag, would you open it to display or keep it sealed?
    I come from the vintage SW world and collect MOC (mint on card), so I get angsty if I open something! I suppose the solution is to buy one sealed and one ready open... But I don't fancy my chances of spotting a fake- of which there seems to be loads on eBay.

I wonder out of the 10k bags, how many are still sealed? Half of them?

My guess is the sealed PB will be THE sw Lego collectable for a long, long time.
    I bought one sealed and opened it. I like to display mine, I'm not worried about the resale value.
    Interesting topic since i have the same dilemma! I bought a sealed one,and i'm scared to open it since the loss of value so i'm thinking of purchasing a second(opened)one just for display-purposes!
    But i'm thinking hardly if there's a nice way to put the sealed figure on display without affecting the bag?