Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions/Hopes on what will be discounted during "May the Fourth" (2012)

Comments

• dunc8543dunc8543 Member Posts: 138
    A little yay from me :)
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    I think expensive UCS are ultimately doomed because they lack playability. I have small kids and there's no way I would spend $200-400 on a set that I could only put on the shelf. Hopefully Lego never discontinues the Death Star because I would like to buy it someday when my kids are old enough to fully enjoy it.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,804
    Even if the UCS AT-AT with 8,000 bricks hits 10,000 supporters, how many people here would REALLY pay $1,000 to get one? As in, really get out the credit card and spend the money?
    Me, because despite it consisting of just another stack of bley bricks, I don't think this stack could be accused of costing "too much for the blandest ship in the SW universe". These 8,000 are beautiful.
  • OliverBanksOliverBanks Member Posts: 32
    Is double VIP points not on? And if you can get the TC-14 without spending £50 on all SW stuff, will stores likely have the same policy, or be more strict?
    As far as I'm aware the stores are upholding the SW only policy but their brief may well change.

The double VIP is definitely not on the cards, but again [Yellowcastle caveat] the promotion or brief may well change. :-)
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    I think expensive UCS are ultimately doomed because they lack playability. I have small kids and there's no way I would spend $200-400 on a set that I could only put on the shelf. Hopefully Lego never discontinues the Death Star because I would like to buy it someday when my kids are old enough to fully enjoy it.
    Expensive UCS sets have been going strong for 10 years, they're certainly not doomed. I think you're missing the point. They're not made to be playable. At all. They are made to do exactly what you said you don't want to do -- put on the shelf and display. If that's not what you want, that's fine, but there are boat loads of collectors who do.
  • OliverBanksOliverBanks Member Posts: 32
    ^ @flump6523 Thanks :)
    ^ Like.
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    I'll pass on to the SSD for today.. Maybe they will do a 2x VIP for the next promotion?
    Made 4 different orders including a PAB one towards my UCS MF :) It deserves priority!

...and so it came to pass that they discontinued the SSD and I had to BL another 3200 grey bricks..
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098

Expensive UCS sets have been going strong for 10 years, they're certainly not doomed. I think you're missing the point. They're not made to be playable. At all. They are made to do exactly what you said you don't want to do -- put on the shelf and display. If that's not what you want, that's fine, but there are boat loads of collectors who do.
    I'm just going by what others have said concerning the sales numbers. Don't forget that the UCS MF originally didn't sell well due to its high price point. Scarcity is what has driven up the price. There's a niche market for UCS sets but you can't use their popularity on Brickset as an indicator.

My opinion would probably be a little different if I didn't have kids. It just seems silly that a Lego set like the Imperial Shuttle would be so fragile that you can't even "Swoosh" it.
  • effalconeffalcon Member Posts: 71
    But thats why there is the smaller IS 'play sets'.
    I've got a son that loves to play with lego, but still buy the UCS sets to sit on a shelf, he can play with the sets designed to be played with... not those that come with display stands
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    Is there any chance that they will add some more sales on 'Revenge of the 5th'?

Was hoping to get the DS along with IS tonight but it looks like I will have to take advantage of the SSD sale instead.

Hopefully DS will still be around for me at Christmas.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    FYI on the "how well is DS selling compared to SSD" issue: asked a Lego store staff about it today. He told me that they are selling at least five DS for every SSD, and that IS sell even worse than SSD.
    That is the same thing I've heard from the local Lego stores...

The problem with IS is the same problem 10195 had, if you're going to spend $250 on a Lego set, why not just get the DS and be done with it?

This tells me IS will actually do well in the aftermarket, in limited volume. Would I want hundreds of them? No, but 5 or 10 would be a fair number, purchased for 20% off. That being said, I don't think it is going out just yet, give it another year. It may sell slowly, but it does sell.

SSD I think is a mess, it has the same problem the original UCS ISD had, but worse in a way, because the ship the model is based on is so long and thin, you have a hard time making a good model of it.

Shame, because this means we are less likely to see a $400 UCS AT-AT walker because of it...
    I wouldn't wait forever, it has to go sooner or later... you'll be kicking yourself if you don't...
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    FYI on the "how well is DS selling compared to SSD" issue: asked a Lego store staff about it today. He told me that they are selling at least five DS for every SSD, and that IS sell even worse than SSD.
    That is the same thing I've heard from the local Lego stores...

The problem with IS is the same problem 10195 had, if you're going to spend $250 on a Lego set, why not just get the DS and be done with it?

This tells me IS will actually do well in the aftermarket, in limited volume. Would I want hundreds of them? No, but 5 or 10 would be a fair number, purchased for 20% off. That being said, I don't think it is going out just yet, give it another year. It may sell slowly, but it does sell.

SSD I think is a mess, it has the same problem the original UCS ISD had, but worse in a way, because the ship the model is based on is so long and thin, you have a hard time making a good model of it.

Shame, because this means we are less likely to see a $400 UCS AT-AT walker because of it...
    And certainly not anything approaching Cavegod's MOC...

If these ratios are accurate, it backs up what LEGO keeps telling us but what many AFOLs don't want to hear- the sales are still overwhelmingly dominated by kids, even at these higher price points - and LEGO will make sets accordingly, with the occasional bone thrown to AFOLs.

Those dreaming of every great idea turned into a $200+ UCS-style model are going to continue to be disappointed.

• RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    That's a shame on the Imperial Shuttle. It is such a great looking display piece and it was a fun build. The fact that it wasn't another heap of bluish grey pieces could have something to do with it. I'm shocked to hear it is selling poorly.
    ^ it's been out a while. hopefully/perhaps it sold better before. The SSD has no similar excuse
    I really doubt any previous UCS set has ever sold that 'well'. So I don't think heresy about them not selling well will have any effect on future runs. I would even bet money the current sets are selling way better than the older sets. I think the market is growing every year. They will keep making them, have no doubt. The AT-AT is easily the most iconic vehicle left not to be given the proper UCS treatment.

The B-wing is already coming, I really wouldn't be surprised if the AT-AT was next. Especially now that the system scale one is out of production. It will sell like mad. Lego knows this, as do I. In fact, it's the one set I could see outperforming the MF on the aftermarket after EOL.
  • LegoPodcasterLegoPodcaster Member Posts: 115
    Deals just went live midnight EST on Lego.com. The IS is not on sale, the SSD is 20% off.
    ^ beat me to it.
    ^^ i agree a UCS AT-AT would do well. It won't outperform the MF on the aftermarket however, due mainly to supply/demand issues. I guess we can settle it in 10 years or so. ;-)
    edited May 2012
    Deals just went live midnight EST on Lego.com. The IS is not on sale, the SSD is 20% off.
    Dear Lego, thanks for the shaft!

Hopefully it's a temporary hiccup...
    It does show up under their sales ad but it is the only one that is not on sale.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Star-Wars-Sale?icmp=SHSitewide_SWSale
    its showing up on sale in my shopping cart now.
    IS is on sale now :)
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited May 2012
    The IS is now 20% off here in TN. It wasn't on sale at first. Just got one.
  • dsdg88dsdg88 Member Posts: 133
    I just ordered an IS on sale.
    I was thinking of getting one just for resale--I haven't done that before--mostly because I can't think of where we would display it.
    I talked to my wife, expecting her to talk me out of it and instead she said, "get it."
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    ^ Make that, just got 3. :-) Nothing will be like the UCS MF, but is the UCS IS on the way out? Just as the UCS MF was a few years back on a May the 4orce sale?
    Just finished 4 orders, I am done for quite some time :)

I passed on the Super Star Destroyer. Tempting at $80 off but I think it will be around for at least another year and be available again at a similar price point.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,933
    edited May 2012
    IS is a good deal if you did not get in on the Amazon deals for the IS, plus General Grievious Starfighter is sold out, and it came out at the same time as IS.

I just could not spend that kind of money on one item, not when you can get a TC-14 for every time you hit 75.
    Since this offer seems to apply to non-SW products right now I picked up some DC Funhouses and got the fig included...

Aside from the IS and maybe the SSD, the other items on sale are just not discounted well enough to buy IMO
    If these ratios are accurate, it backs up what LEGO keeps telling us but what many AFOLs don't want to hear- the sales are still overwhelmingly dominated by kids, even at these higher price points - and LEGO will make sets accordingly, with the occasional bone thrown to AFOLs.
    I have personally witnessed multiple mothers buy DS for their kids in the local Lego store, the feedback I also get from the store employees is that most of those sets are indeed going to kids.

SSD just can't compete with that, since few 8 year old really care since you can't DO anything with it.

I think there is a huge opertounity here... The Federation Battleship from Episode 1-3 could well be made into a playable UCS set. Make it 1 meter x 1 meter (it is round after all), in the center you can put the bridge and the attack on the bridge from episode 1, on the left "wing" you can put the hanger, Anakin's attack with the fighter, etc. On the right wing you can put the hanger where the Jedi landed in their frigite and you can put the landing hanger with droids, you can also have an engine room there.

That makes it playable, but put the "covers" on and it becomes a beautiful display set. I shudder to think of the cost, because to do it right, you may well need 10,000 bricks... But you know what, it just might sell to kids... There are more parents out there with money than you think... but it has GOT to be a playset... Lego needs to stop with the "put it on the bookshelf and it does nothing" sets... Make it playable...

If they are going to build a UCS AT-AT, the head needs to open with a cockpit inside, the body needs to open to carry speeders and have imperial troops inside, etc.
  • parkerwilsonparkerwilson Member Posts: 142
    edited May 2012
    4 fun houses here
  • pumperxpumperx Member Posts: 106
    edited May 2012
    ^ i was kicking myself for forgetting it when placing order for the IS. *shook my head*
    My bad, guess its a no no for posting that
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^ & ^^ Please remember that Brickset is funded by affiliate marketing. As such, links/discussions on cashback programs are discouraged here as they supplant Brickset's affiliate income.
    Make's since, my apology's
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited May 2012
    ^ cashback is the new dirty word! ;o)
    edited May 2012
    ^ & ^^ Please remember that Brickset is funded by affiliate marketing. As such, links/discussions on cashback programs are discouraged here as they supplant Brickset's affiliate income.
    If it helps, I clicked your handy link you provided before placing my 6 orders tonight. ;)

Yellowcastle, may I make a suggestion? You need a page similar to this one:

http://toysnbricks..com/category/lego-discounts/lego-sales-usa/

I use that all the time, and honestly, Toys N Bricks gets some of that affiliate money because of it.

Give me a similar page with posts just like that, and I'll be a loyal Bricksetter! :)
  • weinnerweinner Banned Posts: 148
    Was tempted for to go for the IS but went for but got the R2 instead and only pain 80.00 for it. Cant wait.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,981
    Avenger- nay! Not a fan of the SSD - much prefer the standard SD. When you take a ship so huge and scale it down so much, the detail is meagre. It would've been a better seller if it had the full array of Episode V bouty hunters and more of the bupy stuff lifted out for a bigger bridge area to accomodate all of them and a few officers.
    I will get the SSD at some point but this time I preferred 4 smaller orders and 4 TC-14 than one equivalent (well more, actually) order and one SSD. The 3 TC-14 I'll be selling will be worth at least 60£ I hope..
  • Brewer51Brewer51 Member Posts: 248
    edited May 2012
    This is my first time using [email protected] Can you not pay with a debit card? Does it have to be a credit card?

Also, it's listing R2-D2 out of stock...won't ship until 24th May. Has anyone else not ordered theirs yet?
    Brewer51: Mine went through ok at 6:30am this morning for the UCS R2. Must have underestimated stock in your region (mine is UK)
  • Brewer51Brewer51 Member Posts: 248
    I'm UK too.
    Avenger: £60 for the TC-14? Not unless you're planning on keeping it for a year and TLG don't offer it in further promotions down the line. You'll get about £20-25 for it at most if you're looking to sell it quickly. Ordered some Avengers stuff and it will apparently ship with the TC-14 - hoping that TLG don't "correct" my order to remove the TC-14. Also ordered my Y-Wing and R2.
    ^ I meant £60 for all three.. Chrome stormtroopers go for ~£13 while Chrome Vader goes for ~£30 (+ shipping, EU BL prices). Since the TC-14 is not that iconic I'd guess it will settle around £15-20?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,317
    Since the TC-14 is not that iconic I'd guess it will settle around £15-20?
    If prices drop, then it will be called a silver chromed C-3PO.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,899
    ^ I cant see them getting away with that though. Most collectors wont fall for it and the Kids who would fall for it wont have the money they will demand for it. Plus its fun reporting people for that.

As an aside I actually alittle dissapointed with what was discounted....may be it was the hype. But you would have thought to drive sales we would have gotten more than 20% and on a bigger selection.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,317
    I reckon they will do OK with sales, especially as the promo is on everything, not just SW. I've put in two large PAB orders with them. I could have bricklinked some of the bits cheaper, but at least this way it is one seller and I know the parts are new.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,933
    edited May 2012
    ^--that is why I use PaB from time to time.. sometimes parts ARE cheaper via PAB than BL stores anyway.. at least if you want a large quantity of a part and, like you say, you know that they are new parts.

I picked up a few funhouses and got the figures..
    Honestly the deals are not that great aside from SSD and the IS.