Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Valuation of the CMF Series 1 Zombie

Brewer51Brewer51 Member Posts: 248
edited April 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
Why is this so expensive? Even the prices of Romans/Spartans come nowhere near the price of Zombies on Ebay/BL.

Why is this? Something to do with it being an older series?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,676
    edited April 2012
    It's down to demand and rarity.
  • Brewer51Brewer51 Member Posts: 248
    I figured as much, but it still doesn't make too much sense to me. Personally I don't see the appeal of it as a CMF, it's certainly not one of my favourites. It is irritating though, as I do want a complete set, and it looks like I will eventually have to shell out to get one.
  • legomyLEGGOlegomyLEGGO Member Posts: 63
    I'm sure you've heard about the zombie craze (i.e. in movies, videogames, etc.), similar to the craze in vampires, etc. Just think about the MOCs people could be making with dozens of zombies, 'cause it most cases there are more than just a few zombies.

Just like CCC alluded to, it's really can come down to demand and rarity.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    Mainly zombies popularity and since its Series 1, many people were not able to get it.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    As far as I know the Zombie never appeared in the Build-a-Minifigure station in Lego stores and it has not been a part of any random Lego sets (i.e. S1 Cheerleader and S1 Skateboarder in the Brick Calendar (853195)). The Zombie was probably the most popular in S1 and S1 was the hardest to come by. Add that all up and you have low supply with high demand.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    It's a zombie. Who doesn't love zombies?
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    I love 'em! Lol
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    There is a zombie set in the upcoming Monster Fighters theme.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    And zombies in PotC. And zombies coming with the Winchester set.
  • ThezoofoxThezoofox United Kingdom - EastMember Posts: 188
    ^if we get the winchester!^
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,122
    ^-- but is that Winchester set going to be built and sold?
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,434
    There is a zombie set in the upcoming Monster Fighters theme.
    I think this set shows that TLG are willing to do zombies on a bigger scale. The s1 zombie was unlike anything TLG had officially done before, and a popular theme for many AFOLs. Series 1 also caught most people unaware (CMF 'fever' was yet to hit), and accounts for it's rarity, both in production and collection (I don't have any data on that, just guessing that due to the popularity of the CMFs, more are being produced per series). If a zombie was instead in a series now, I think people would be a lot more 'on the ball' and they'd be a lot more plentiful.
    Maybe it's just me. I find zombie fever boring. Shaun of the Dead was great, but I really don't see the appeal.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    ^^ Brickset's own "people who own this set" has some strange stats on CMFs, but does indicate ownership of S3 (for example) is wider than S1 (average of 3,700 say against 3,100).

However, this doesn't account for numbers owned (i.e. people own an average of 5 recent series figures against only 1.x for S1) and then slips down for later series (which could just be because people haven't updated their set lists). I don't get the impression that anywhere near as many people bought boxes and boxes of the early series.
  • deepdalelegenddeepdalelegend PRESTON, ENGLANDMember Posts: 352
    The worst thing about the series 1 Zombie is having a headless one; I have one and people are asking for silly money for a head (sometimes more than an entire fig!) :(
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 672
    I really regret not getting more zombies when I had a chance. I have two. The thing is, you need a zombie HORDE, which is a lot more than two, to really do much with them.

I'm hoping I get to LUGbulk the new zombie head from Monster Fighters at some point.
  • FizzlemesexyFizzlemesexy Member Posts: 123
    Zombies are relatively inexpensive. Bricklink and ebay have a few on each for about $5. Their head however is near $20.
    edited April 2012
    I think this set shows that TLG are willing to do zombies on a bigger scale. The s1 zombie was unlike anything TLG had officially done before, and a popular theme for many AFOLs. Series 1 also caught most people unaware (CMF 'fever' was yet to hit), and accounts for it's rarity, both in production and collection (I don't have any data on that, just guessing that due to the popularity of the CMFs, more are being produced per series). If a zombie was instead in a series now, I think people would be a lot more 'on the ball' and they'd be a lot more plentiful.
    CMF 'fever' hit the minute series 1 came out.. There was a buzz about 6 months-1 year before the series 1 hit shelves.
    LEGO just did a VERY poor job in accounting for demand IMO.
    Maybe it's just me. I find zombie fever boring. Shaun of the Dead was great, but I really don't see the appeal.
    Id rather have Zombie fever (in and of itself a funny phrase if you read/watch the Watching Dead) than see one more stupid glittery vampire film :-)
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    OMG! I sooo need to make a glittery vampire now! I reckon that would be a good seller ;)
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    ^ Yep - consider an order to be placed ;-)
    Zombies are relatively inexpensive. Bricklink and ebay have a few on each for about $5. Their head however is near $20.
    Really? I have only been looking at UK sellers, purely for cost reasons.
  • FizzlemesexyFizzlemesexy Member Posts: 123
    The ebay bins flew off but bricklink still has them for about 5 almost every month.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?M=col005
    Hope that helps if you are getting them in bulk.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Just checked that, the cheap ones are all part of superlots. in fact the one I'm selling is one of the cheapest (which might change, as frankly he's too darn cute to sell easily)!
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    CMF 'fever' hit the minute series 1 came out.. There was a buzz about 6 months-1 year before the series 1 hit shelves.
    LEGO just did a VERY poor job in accounting for demand IMO.
    I beg to differ. A lot of people here didn't really know about the CMs until at least series 3, which was also the first mass produced series.

I'm just kicking myself for wading through hoardes of zombies in summer 2010 looking for a deep sea diver!
    Just checked that, the cheap ones are all part of superlots. in fact the one I'm selling is one of the cheapest (which might change, as frankly he's too darn cute to sell easily)!
    Exactly. I just came here to post that you had the cheapest one in the UK. The rest are all part of super lots, which I'm unwilling to do as I already have half of CMF 1. Looks like I'm just going to have to eventually shell out the tenner.

Does anyone have 1 extra zombie laying around I can buy? I just got back into Legos about 2 mths ago so I only have S6 and a few S4 & S5 I have found. I would be interested in ANY S1-5 that people have extras of :)
    edited April 2012
    PM sent @jadedanc, I have some spare s5 :)

But I'm also interested in any s1, 2, 4 5 and 6 that people have lying around.
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,376
    PM sent @Brewer51 for some extra s6 I've got.
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    @madforlegos - I have to agree with @Matthew somewhat series 1 was popular but not initially to the extent that the CMF range is now as it did take a 'little time' to really catch on and s1 was quite obtainable through its production run.

As for a buzz, 6 - 12 months before release? I think that might be pushing it a bit?

Regardless of series or quantity per box, any CMF that can be used in multiples or hordes will always command a higher price. But I have to say the zombie is in my top 5 CMFs.
    I agree with everyone about the zombie. Anything that can make a horde or used in a multiple use (i.e. nurses for a hospital, mummies for a museum, gladiators, roman soldiers, british guard, etc), they will command a higher price, unfortunately. I am just looking for one zombie so I can have a complete series 1 set eventually lol
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    @collect_that - Series 1 was nearly impossible to find for me. I saw them once at a TRU, picked up a couple of packets and when I went back in a few days, they were all gone and they never restocked. I could never find them at any other store. I think that the distribution to the US was very limited.
    edited April 2012
    Well, I caved, and bought one. From @Savage_Steel no less. I'm on a hunt to complete the CMF's while I can, and at the risk of it going up in value any more, thought I'd get in.
    Anyone have 1 that I may buy? Or trade for? :)
    edited April 2012
    @madforlegos - I have to agree with @Matthew somewhat series 1 was popular but not initially to the extent that the CMF range is now as it did take a 'little time' to really catch on and s1 was quite obtainable through its production run.

As for a buzz, 6 - 12 months before release? I think that might be pushing it a bit?

Regardless of series or quantity per box, any CMF that can be used in multiples or hordes will always command a higher price. But I have to say the zombie is in my top 5 CMFs.
    I figured they would be hard to find as they were interesting but also they noted that would be limited.. which I snickered at at the time because they also said they wanted them to be something like an 'impulse buy' that people could just pick up, BUT they also said they were going to be random as well, but limited.
  • LeoNLegosLeoNLegos Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2012
    Anyone willing to trade for a Series 1 zombie or for sale. I hate to pay the prices.
    I have some spare figures and will trade 5 to 1 ratio for 1 Series 1 zombie.
    Name your price and let me know. Thanks.
    edited April 2012
    Regardless of series or quantity per box, any CMF that can be used in multiples or hordes will always command a higher price.
    Skaters seem to hang around in groups in real life, but try shifting a load of unwanted Lego skaters. Same thing for zoo keepers.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    I've got a couple complete sets of Series 1 and a couple empty display boxes. Trying to hold onto them to build a couple complete runs of the CMF series.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    For everyone spending fortunes on the CMS-zombie,the Monster-Fighter set 9465 comes with 3 zombies (one of them is a female!)! Just bought two copies of the set! They look pretty cool!!!
    I took some pics of the new Zombies: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157629583089704/with/6988962064/
    Don't know if it belongs here but since people are talking about the CMS Zombie...
    edited May 2012
    ^ Female zombie is good. Where did you get them? They are not out in the UK yet.

Even though there are new zombies about, I doubt the price of the S1 zombie will drop. People will have (over) paid for them and want to recoup what they paid if they sell them. And it is a big IF.
    They are available at the Lego-Store in Germany(Cologne),they have also the Vampire-castle,the Mummy-chariot and the Werewolf-set!
    Out of interest, what is the price?
    It´s 39.99€