Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Ideas for the Next License

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,208
    If this is anything to go by, I'd prefer MOCs.

• ErnstErnst Member Posts: 133
    I would definitly vote for a Roman or Greek theme. Imagine some great sets in the style of this one : http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7985-1

Would be a best seller and no extra license costs.
  • ReekardooReekardoo Member Posts: 34
    As far as AVATAR goes,

Check this out

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/25360
  • thelegoguy421thelegoguy421 Banned Posts: 64
    I wonder if Lego could make a set for New Years Eve in Times Square with the ball and large crowd and everything.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    I want the A-team. That van is kick ass! :D
  • kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,207
    Greek and Roman historical theme!
    CapnRex101
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,985
    Considering that a Percy Jackson movie is coming out this year, this seems like it would have been the year to release a line related to Greek historical, tied to the movie/books. Since there have been no rumors of any, with only the minifigs showing some Greek themes, I am thinking this may not happen anytime soon. I would prefer a non-licensed theme to a licensed, but Lego does like it's licenses, and this would have been the time to license this.

I wonder if Lego could make a set for New Years Eve in Times Square with the ball and large crowd and everything.

I doubt it. If you had a measly crowd of 50 people, that would already be a $100 set at least, before you have any buidlings. How accurate would you want the whole square. Then bear in mind the cost of a modular building.
  • cozycozy Member Posts: 155
    Astrix for me
    icey117bluedragon
  • sctty1987sctty1987 Member Posts: 24
    THUNDERCATS would be a great line for me my fav cartoon as a child :)
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 510
    edited December 2012
    An ASTERIX theme has almost all the success-factors in it's favour.
    - Well branded
    - both kids and grownups love it
    - Cartoonish
    - Lots of minifigs options and fun buldings
    - Roman soldiers :-)

Only contra-factor is the movies did pretty bad, but if TLC base the theme on the cartoons, it would work fine.
    bluedragon
  • OndraOndra Member Posts: 74
    Alarm fur Cobra 11-Germany action long aired series, with car chases, crashes and action. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alarm_für_Cobra_11_–_Die_Autobahnpolizei

Great for german marketplace and also suitable for many cars set such as BMW, or Mercede Benz.Yeah is 0% that this come true, but this is my dream.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    The next licenses coming up will be Duplo sets based on Disney's "Planes" and "Jake and the Neverland Pirates."

Personally, I want to see Disney fairy tale sets in LEGO System.
  • legofan421legofan421 Banned Posts: 15
    How about some Lego Halo sets. I have seen them in Mega Blocks but not in Lego.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129

How about some Lego Halo sets. I have seen them in Mega Blocks but not in Lego.

you answered your own question...
  • legofan421legofan421 Banned Posts: 15
    Just so you know, most Lego fans don't buy Mega Block and neither do I.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ neither do I, but I was saying you answered yourself as to why LEGO doesn't make them - they can't. they don't have the license.

That said, even if the license was available, LEGO would undoubtedly pass on it, as it isn't in the "brand fit" image they are going for. Same goes for WoW most likely.
  • wagiwabywagiwaby Member Posts: 3
    I would like to see the old classic like Thunderbird or Captain Scarlet. Of course it will be very unlikely unles someone going to make new movie on them!
  • MasterLegoMasterLego Banned Posts: 38
    How about Men in Black.
  • mdellemanmdelleman Vancouver CanadaMember Posts: 274
    I would love to see Asterix and Obelix.

Dying for a Ancient Rome theme, although would prefer it was just an original theme ala Pirates, Castle etc.
    icey117
    How about a military theme with soldiers, tanks, boats, planes and so on. Also make up two enemy countries so that not countries are offended.
  • CrownieCrownie WA StateMember Posts: 228
    Ma1234 said:

Personally, I want to see Disney fairy tale sets in LEGO System.

I know they have these in DUPLO, but often wondered why they never made the jump to System sets. Perhaps the age demographic is considered too young?

• sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    @Crownie
    In the next five years in the Friends line, I bet we get Disney princesses. I think the issue has been making them 'Disney Princessy' rather than Minifig squarish, if you know what I mean. If Friends continues to be successful then this would be a great complementary expanding line.
  • smillattsmillatt Member Posts: 39
    The Simpsons! Moe's Tavern and the Power Plant with Home inside eating donuts would be incredible.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 323
    I would like a voltron like advent calendar. Each day you get a few pieces to build a small vehicle and then the vehicles all fit together to build a larger item (robot or something else).
    Jonn420
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    Since nostalgia seems to be pretty thick in this thread, I'd just like to say that I think a theme based off of the 1990 Dick Tracy movie would be awesome (think flashy colored art deco modulars). But if I had to pick a licence that would actually make money, I'd say an Adenture Time theme would be my choice. Broad appeal mixed with the possibility of some unique looking sets.
    ^An Adventure Time theme is a great idea. The show is very popular (although I don't like it too much). There would be so many sets you could make. And as T_Lars said, they would actually produce revenue.
  • AnthonyC173AnthonyC173 Member Posts: 101
    T_Lars said:

Since nostalgia seems to be pretty thick in this thread, I'd just like to say that I think a theme based off of the 1990 Dick Tracy movie would be awesome (think flashy colored art deco modulars). But if I had to pick a licence that would actually make money, I'd say an Adenture Time theme would be my choice. Broad appeal mixed with the possibility of some unique looking sets.

i love adventure time but can not imagine it becoming lego, since most of the people/creatures in that show have very long skinny flexible leg/arms, cant see it being translated into bulky blocky lego
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 866
    Anything Pixar.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Now that we have lego-thundercats a.k.a. chima we need "masters of the universe"!!!
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    And since TLG wants to attract also girls for their toys they can make a "friends/she-ra"theme to go along with he-man ;)
  • FoxyA19FoxyA19 Member Posts: 124
    Apologises if this thread has already been created, I was just wondering which new licenses and sets would you like Lego to release. I personally would like to see an Assassins Creed one...
  • KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 973
    Team Zissou would have immense possibilities, but it would never happen.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited May 2013
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    This is probably more of a theme than a license but how about Lego based on the works of Charles Dickens? Not very commercial but a lot of possibilities. Works of Mark Twain. Works of Edgar Allen Poe. I think they're currently making all of the licenses I'd ever be interested in, we just need more minifigs based on them.
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 554
    @KingDave you just made my night! I can already imagine a lego version of the ship, the island, Jeff Goldblum's station, the topless crew member and the three-legged dog! And a semi-rare Esteban poly too!

If I ever have the chance to build a large, totally original design I swear in the name of the Jaguar shark that it will be based on your suggestion!

One more thing - Lego Bill Murray!
  • KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 973
    @BOBJACK_JACKBOB I was having a think about the various Zissou sets that could be in the range, all the ones you mentioned plus the helicopter, the sub and all sorts of rare animals. During this progression of ideas I inevitably got to the stage of pondered how they could do the topless (French?) girl. It was at this point I realised just how impossible it would be to get this theme picked up by TLG and actually put into production.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,655
    Bit of a post grave-dig but...

Has there been any more news on the Simpsons licence rumour?
  • just2goodjust2good Member Posts: 247
    andhe said:

Bit of a post grave-dig but...

Has there been any more news on the Simpsons licence rumour?

No. Some guy on Reddit did say he worked at LEGO marketing a Simpsons theme, but I can't find the post.

• rawbobrawbob UKMember Posts: 535
    edited May 2013
    Lego have said that The Simpsons sets will start with the Simpsons home. You get 5 minfigs. Homer, Marge, Ned, Maggie and Santa's Little Helper. To get Lisa you have to uy a Simpsons limited edition dvd from Target (US only) as it has exclusive rights to it. To get Bart you have to buy the $200 Springfield Elementary set. There is a Homer minifig with every set.

Obviously I'm joking but doesn't sound too ridiculous considering how other thems are handled.
  • rawbobrawbob UKMember Posts: 535
    sorry I should have said:

Lego have said that The Simpsons sets will start with the Simpsons home. You get 5 minfigs. Homer, Marge, Ned, Maggie and Santa's Little Helper. To get Lisa you have to uy a Simpsons limited edition dvd from Target (US only) as it has exclusive rights to it. To get Bart you have to buy the $200 Springfield Elementary set. There is a Homer minifig with every set.
    It will also come with naff looking speech bubbles with "D'oh" and "Aye carumba" on.
  • OldLegoOldLego Member Posts: 28
    I'm guessing they have something against war time machines/models...but I would love expansion on WW1.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,147
    I havent heard anything...outside of what has been posted here what maybe a month ago? I think it would be a great collaboration considering they just came out with TMNT and I can kind of see similar color schematics with the simpsons.
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    Thundercats !
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 505
    Tintin!!! Imagine that spaceship in lego! Not to mention the Licorne...
    icey117Mynatt
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    My life would be complete with a Mega Man series.
    jasor
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    The Licorne has a striking resemblance to the Imperial Flagship #10210.
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 505

true! maybe the other way around :-)
    but this one would have lots of wine on board...
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,976

true! maybe the other way around :-)
    but this one would have lots of wine on board...
    Wine? Hmm, in the English translation ("The Secret of the Unicorn") it's rum. Is it different in the original French edition?

The license I'd love to see most is The Legend of Korra. The Avatar: The Last Airbender theme didn't really appeal to me when it was out (I was not yet interested in the show, and the sets felt sub-par), but later on I discovered the sets were actually quite good given the subject matter they were trying to depict. The more modern vehicles and buildings of The Legend of Korra might be somewhat easier to replicate in LEGO, and many of the characters could be created quite realistically using existing parts and colors.

I don't really expect TLG to produce a Legend of Korra theme without fan input, though. Frankly, after Nickelodeon struggled to license decent tie-in merchandise for Avatar: The Last Airbender, it seems like they're giving Korra a more low-key merchandise profile, and the merch that has been revealed tends to be more adult– and teen-oriented accessories like iPhone skins versus kid-oriented products like toys and games. It probably doesn't help that the franchise has a female protagonist, since the A:TLA merch seemed to show a bias against including action figures and other toys of the show's female characters.

Team Jigsaw (the guys behind the Portal project on LEGO Cuusoo) had a Legend of Korra project in development last year, but there's no word on how soon we can expect that Cuusoo proposal to be ready for the public. In the meantime, Fine Clonier has produced some amazing custom minifigures (my younger brother bought a Korra and an Amon last year at Brickfair), and GlenBricker created a great Legend of Korra project here.