Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Looking for Information on set 90-1

atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
edited May 2011 in The Database
Hoping somebody can provide some information on the following set: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=90-1

I can't find it in the Brickset database and it doesn't seem to have been sold on Bricklink (not recently anyway). A friend of mine at work has it stashed in his loft and I'd be interested in learning a bit more about it and it's potential rarity (or not).

Maybe a certain Mr Istok ( @istokg ) can help?

Comments

• IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,280
    edited May 2011
    Ah.... the mid 1970s UK/Australian #90 Super Set in a wooden box with plastic partitions and a red Masonite lid.... never heard of it.... haha....

I have that one listed as one of the over 80 wooden box sets (1950-78) in Chapter 10 of the new LEGO CD Volume 2 (it's a combined volume 1 and 2 special edition coming out soon).... you won't find more than 1/2 dozen different LEGO wooden box sets listed in any online database...

Since a picture says a thousand words.... see attached...

Gary Istok

P.S. Because it was expensive to purchase... it was indeed a very rare set.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    I want. @Atkinsar, where do you work?
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,280
    edited May 2011
    Also, I believe that the #90 Super Set was not a popular seller, due to the fact that it was an expensive set.

This would explain why the Britain "Shop-At-Home" service from 1975-77 sold the empty box (with partitions)... as a standalone mail order product (the number of wooden boxes in inventory likely exceeded #90 sales).

Attached are pics of it as S33 (1975-76 UK catalogs), and as Sp.33 (in 1977 UK catalog). I believe that the artwork may be incorrect. I'm not sure if the red Masonite box top had a hole for easy opening. These images also help date the sales period of the #90 Super Set to 1975-77.

Huw... feel free to add 90/S33/Sp.33 images to your Brickset database.... :-)
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Thanks Gary, I didn't think you'd let me down there, just surprised you made me wait over 24 hours ;-)

I'll ask him to bring him it into work on Monday, if you would be so kind as to prepare a second 'fake' response stating it's a piece of worthless junk, and I'll offer him a tenner for it.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,653
    ^ Too late - he accepted a fiver from me for it earlier this evening. You really need to hide your I.P. address......