Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Has anyone tried building a smaller version of the VW Bus to fit the hippie?

starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
edited April 2012 in Building and Techniques
I was wondering if anyone has tried to build a smaller version of the VW Bus to fit the hippie?

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    I haven't, but I would love to see (and copy :) one!
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,487
    What scale would the van from Cars be?
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    ^^^ You might have a passing interest in this then ...
    http://cache.lego.com/eng/downloads/club/clubcodes/rockband.pdf
    Cool! Thanks @bluemoose!
    Wonder why the rear wheels are a different size to the front ones though? Looks a bit weird.
    The instructions were released as a tie-in to the Lego 'Rock Band' game.
    It was meant to be a custom/hot-rod version of a vw bus, but it is very easy to turn it back into a regular version.
    Oh yeah, I'm sure I can tinker about with it :-) Thanks again.
    If you want something more challenging, Ralph has done a lovely little VW bus ...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/madphysicist/6222762837/
    ... but no instructions, so you'd need to reverse engineer it (or ask Ralph nicely to bring it along to an event, like AFOLcon, and take a really good look at it).
    ^^^^^ "using pieces from your own collection", what kid do they expect to have that bunch load of random pieces. Nice build though, and would be fun if you could fill a PAB cup or bricklink it cheaply.
  • Murdoch17Murdoch17 Member Posts: 22
    edited April 2012
    Did that VW Bus in red /white in LEGO digital designer about 3 days after those instructions came out. Never could finish it (until now), because I built the front wrong. (It's tricky in LDD!) Anyway, I finally fixed/ finished it, added the hippie and his Biker girl-friend changing a tire. Here is a picture of the file. (See below) I also tried to add the LXF too, but Brickset wouldn't let me. Maybe I'll just create a MOCPages set, and upload it there... Unless some mod can let me upload a LXF. I don't see why this wouldn't be allowed. Can some one elighten me?

EDIT: Just wanted to let everyone know, this model can be purchasecd from bricklink... minus the figures (as certain parts are not avalible) of course!
    edited April 2012
    (Sorry for double post!) Forgot to clarify: The model itself is not for sale, but the parts are from diffirent Bricklink sellers. Sorry I wasn't clear before!
    ^I think I prefer this one. Seems to have a lot more 'common' pieces and better for kids (but maybe the other is more of a challenge for older kids... :P)
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    ^ that instantly made me think of this:

Although, I guess they don't have a ton in common other than being both vans and the color scheme. But still. Anytime I can draw parallels between Transformers and LEGO, I'm happy.
    If anyone wants a VW Micro bus model, and doesn't want to figure out the rear yourself, here is a link to my MOCPage: mocpages.com/moc.php/320325 Here is a pciture of the model that can't be uploaded here but is included there:
    By the way, I'm not trying to be self promoting, but am I comming off that way?
    They look great, thanks for sharing.

(If you were linking to a sale then people might object, but sharing building tips is what it's all about!).
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Thanks from me also - I definitely want to try out some of the ideas on this thread.
    As a former owner though, I'll definitely say this....

FORGET SPLITTIES, EARLY BAYS ARE WHERE IT'S AT!

Splitties are kinda cute though.
  • peterlinddkpeterlinddk DenmarkMember Posts: 170
    Here is one that I think is minifig-scale. flickr.com/photos/karwik/6530261499/in/set-72157628459158011/ it was on Brothers Brick around christmas I think ...
  • jonboy2000jonboy2000 Member Posts: 247
    FORGET SPLITTIES, EARLY BAYS ARE WHERE IT'S AT!

yeah keep telling yourself that, or is that the wallet saying they're too expensive! : )

• Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited April 2012
    If you dont believe me, hire one and try it for yourself :)

• jonboy2000jonboy2000 Member Posts: 247
    I've got to rent me one of those!