Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Winter Village: What’s Next? What’s Missing?

Comments

• autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 1,342
    In addition to the leak, there’s also now some suggestion that the set will be $130 instead of the usual $100. That wouldn’t surprise me at all. It’s disappointing because that $100 price point is a very nice one for an annual set like the WV line. I expect Modulars will be $220+ moving forward, so I also kind of expect WV to be $120 (not $130).

The silver lining with that is it could mean a little more detail or maybe a little extra scale. I wouldn’t want much more scale for most WV possibilities because it would throw off the scale with older sets, but for some it might be a good thing.
    Brickchap
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,994
    I've been anticipating a $120 price tag. The leak at $100 seemed off to me. I'll buy it either way, but too much more without added detail will make it a pill harder to swallow. 
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 1,007
    $149.99 was too much for last years set. This years had better be good if its even more expensive than that.
  • WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 631
    No announcement, no solid leaks, I'm getting antsy for anything regarding this year's set.
    ModeltrainmanSwitchfoot55vizzitorwardm
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman Reading my Bible, sorting and buildingMember Posts: 1,042
    I've been thinking, it'd be a bit boring probably, for most people but maybe a WV hobby shop, with trains(tiny Metroliner, tiny WV Train, Station, etc) Classic Space, Castle, paints to show it's not a toy store, a tiny rc car...
    Switchfoot55vizzitor560HeliportWesterBricksBrickchap
    I've been checking at least twice an hour for the last few days to see if something will spring a leak on this set!

September 21st is the latest reveal thus far in the WV line. Hopefully they're not out to break that record with this years offering. 
    vizzitorSilverLove560HeliportWesterBricksBrickchap
  • Flippi01Flippi01 Surrey EnglandMember Posts: 27
    Other stuff like the GWP released from 1 oct seem to be being leaked now so maybe the winter village is next as that theoretically comes out next !
    Switchfoot55Brickchap
  • PDelahantyPDelahanty Petaluma, CaliforniaMember Posts: 293
    I know Lego has avoided doing churches for decades, but it seems like a WV church might be appropriate.  After all, they're clearly celebrating Christmas with the tree, Santa, and other Christmas-related stuff.  I'm not saying they need to make the church fit a specific religion like Roman Catholic or something...and don't even need to put crosses on it, but a church-shaped building seems like a good fit for the Winter Village.

I know they'll NEVER do it though...
    BrickchapModeltrainmanMarshallmariooldtodd33
    @PDelahanty I agree, the village definitely needs a church-like building. I really don't see why we couldn't get a town hall or village hall that has some church-like elements such as archways, stained glass or a bell tower. A village fete would work really well for the Christmas theme with a village hall and then some tables and stalls outside, ladies bringing cakes, a band, that sort of thing. Or as I say just a town hall.
    Either way the village does need some sort of central building/meeting place. (regardless of what that actually is). Currently I use the big tree from Toy Shop as a centre piece and then the sort of 'main/central building' is the fire station, which works fine but isn't 100% right.
    Random idea: How about a WV Town Hall that is also a library? People have been asking for a library for ages, and as a WV set it wouldn't need to be huge.
  • arathemisarathemis RomaniaMember Posts: 505
    maybe they cancelled the line....

/sarcasm
    560HeliportSwitchfoot55
    edited September 15
    I've long thought that a little schoolhouse in the style of an old New England one-room could be made to look enough like a chapel to satisfy most of us. Do something like this one, but maybe a little more prominent bell structure to make it steeple-adjacent.

WesterBricksSwitchfoot55iwybsCymbelineoldtodd33PDelahantyBrickchapgmonkey76Marshallmario
    Most of the WV offerings have been relatively shallow depth buildings. There are exceptions with the Cottage, the Train Station a little, and Santa's Visit from last year. (Even the Fire Station and Elf Club House are slightly deeper than others.) I wonder if that trend reduces the chances of a longer structure like a church/school house/town hall/library, etc...?  I think to get the look of this style of building, it would have to be longer (certainly more than 10-16 studs) to satisfy the visual needs. 

Perhaps there is a way to do it sideways that would still look okay? I've slowly been working on a church MOC that will eventually just need to come to life. But I'll keep holding out a sliver of hope for an official building one of these years!
    ModeltrainmanBrickchap
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman Reading my Bible, sorting and buildingMember Posts: 1,042
    Most of the WV offerings have been relatively shallow depth buildings. There are exceptions with the Cottage, the Train Station a little, and Santa's Visit from last year. (Even the Fire Station and Elf Club House are slightly deeper than others.) I wonder if that trend reduces the chances of a longer structure like a church/school house/town hall/library, etc...?  I think to get the look of this style of building, it would have to be longer (certainly more than 10-16 studs) to satisfy the visual needs. 

Perhaps there is a way to do it sideways that would still look okay? I've slowly been working on a church MOC that will eventually just need to come to life. But I'll keep holding out a sliver of hope for an official building one of these years!
    Lord willing, I'll  show off my church this year. It's a little stone church, (think Disney's Robin Hood) so nothing fancy, but I hope to honor God, and share my faith with it. More on topic, maybe LEGO's anti leak team is made up of anti leak ninjas, and they have WV 2022 in a tightly locked vault, inside another, inside a cargo container, deep under a volcano, under the sea, in the Marianas Trench.  
    560HeliportSwitchfoot55WesterBricksoldtodd33canon03
  • WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 631
    edited September 15
    At this point, if the set is going to be released on October 3rd, then it has already been manufactured, packed, and shipped to warehouses, and might even be waiting in the back of the stores already.
    ModeltrainmanSwitchfoot55oldtodd33Brickchap560Heliport
    ^Agreed. It's already out to stores, or will be VERY shortly, with a likely early-October release as it has traditionally had. I will even be back visiting my family at that time and may just have to swing in and pick it up at the LEGO Store in person!
    Brickchap560HeliporteMJeeNL
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 771
    I know the Manager in my store said they haven't even been told what it is yet as of this past Saturday.  Wish they would announce it already.
    Switchfoot55WesterBricks
    A WV schoolhouse would actually be cool.  They had a school in the Elf movie.  Why not WV too?
    Switchfoot55Brickchap

They did the Hogwarts Great Hall sideways with the long side open. The scale of that set was very different than I expect for a WV set, but it shows that it's possible to do something in that orientation with good effect. You need just enough width/depth for a decent door and a decent bell structure. Maybe 10-12 studs deep and then 20 wide? I can't remember if that would still be in a reasonable scale with the other sets. Seems like it would be off my crude memory and not looking at pictures.
    WesterBricksSwitchfoot55Brickchap
    Although a WIP based on @autolycus's picture, I'm not sure half a schoolhouse would work...
    '
    Switchfoot55gmonkey76
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,336
    I built this schoolhouse years ago from very old instructions from LEGO's very early website. I plan on using it in my village.

Switchfoot55BrickchapWesterBricks560HeliportModeltrainmanautolycusPeteMgmonkey76
  • Jampots80Jampots80 IrelandMember Posts: 13
    Poster on another site says official name is “Holiday Main Street” but they have no pics 
    BrickchapSwitchfoot55
    Interesting since I've previously suggested a main street for a larger set. That would also make sense for the tram rumour. Personally I was thinking more along the lines of an English village High Street rather than a main street in a city or large town.
  • arathemisarathemis RomaniaMember Posts: 505
    Tram in a village? Never saw a tram in a small village. I really hope it`s not the case with this set.
    Small school? Yes please.
    A main street with benches, a small park, picket fences, (without tram)? Yes please
    Brickchap
    @arathemis I agree there really wouldn't be a tram in a small village. I also agree it would be cool getting a vintage school or main street like you suggested. However I wouldn't say it's a bad thing getting a tram. It would be really nice to get a vintage tram, and there has been lots of calls for one. I'd just put it in my regular city.
    ^that looks awesome! Miro's tram is certainly a great addition. May I ask which church design you used?
  • WhiteDoveWhiteDove AustraliaMember Posts: 94
    Thanks!! The church is my own design :-). It’s based on a real church about an hour’s drive from where I live. It took me a few years to find the church I wanted for my winter village and I fell totally in love with this one. 

I did use Mouseketeer’s church instructions to work out how to construct some of it, as it is my first real moc (well, the tunnels were really the first). So there are some similarities to his, particularly the roof structure. I’ll be able to post some better pics in the main winter village thread, a bit closer to Christmas…
    Switchfoot55Modeltrainman
    ^It's really fantastic! I'd be very interested in seeing more once the village comes out of storage and starts coming together. It's right along the lines of what I've been thinking for my village church as far as overall design and scale as well. I don't need it to be a massive structure, but definitely stand up to the likes of the Cottage, Fire Department, and Santa's Visit. 

(Also a fan of how you've brought your road in at an angle across the tracks in the lower left!)
    Brickchap
    ^It's really fantastic! I'd be very interested in seeing more once the village comes out of storage and starts coming together. It's right along the lines of what I've been thinking for my village church as far as overall design and scale as well. I don't need it to be a massive structure, but definitely stand up to the likes of the Cottage, Fire Department, and Santa's Visit. 

(Also a fan of how you've brought your road in at an angle across the tracks in the lower left!)
    'Foot's right! I really want to see more, too. Also, how is the  track stuck down? I'm planning a layout(Lord willing,) that has my WV as a part,(with tunnels separating areas) and track staying down is an important part of a balanced breakfast..., er rail network, (:P) so it'd be really helpful.  
    560Heliport
  • PickUpbricksPickUpbricks GermanyMember Posts: 4
    when will lego officially present the new set? does anyone know anything yet?
    Brickchap
    There isn't any official announcement date that has been released. No teasers. No leaks. Pretty much radio silence with the exception of one or two small messages that may or may not be accurate. 

The latest we've ever gotten an official announcement is September 21st. That doesn't mean it'll come before then, but I'm hopeful. 
    There's now a leak of the full text description of the set. I won't post it here because I don't want to get the good Brickset folks in trouble. Will be interesting to see the whole thing. Prior info seems to be consistent. Toy shop, music store, and a tram. New details might suggest 2-story buildings. They also say the tram can be motorized with Powered Up and run on a track. That's definitely going to make me glad for the extra space I have this year. The short 30x40" oval track was going to be really tight with both the train and a tram!
    Switchfoot55ModeltrainmanBrickchap
    autolycus said:
    There's now a leak of the full text description of the set. I won't post it here because I don't want to get the good Brickset folks in trouble. Will be interesting to see the whole thing. Prior info seems to be consistent. Toy shop, music store, and a tram. New details might suggest 2-story buildings. They also say the tram can be motorized with Powered Up and run on a track. That's definitely going to make me glad for the extra space I have this year. The short 30x40" oval track was going to be really tight with both the train and a tram!
    From a purely rail transport view, how would you have a train and a tram? I'm not sure I understand how I can make this work.
    Fizyx
    ^I see a tram as a mode of transportation integrated within a city. Much like @WhiteDove 's photo above, it has a straight rail line from point A to point B. This is likely how I'll eventually integrate mine if the rumor holds true. Doesn't meant it can't turn a corner or something, but my personal real life experience with trams tends to be moving in a straight line from A to B, then back from B to A without making a full circuit. 
    ^I see a tram as a mode of transportation integrated within a city. Much like @WhiteDove 's photo above, it has a straight rail line from point A to point B. This is likely how I'll eventually integrate mine if the rumor holds true. Doesn't meant it can't turn a corner or something, but my personal real life experience with trams tends to be moving in a straight line from A to B, then back from B to A without making a full circuit. 
    Right, thanks! I was confused, because the thought of the tram and train playing chase was confusing.
    Switchfoot55560Heliport
    I keep getting visions of #80036 when I see the leaked description.
    Switchfoot55560Heliport
    ^My brain won't be able to see anything different now until the actual set images come out!
    560HeliportRussell844
    I’ll admit I would be really excited about a tram if it turned out to be based on the rollercoaster track. That would be a fun twist. (0 chance of that happening, but it’s fun to dream randomly)
    Well, they also had the Friends resort set with a tram on monorail track. I would definitely not rule it out.
    Switchfoot55
    If they built the rollercoaster track into a road segment that could be cool. Or maybe even some new road plates with built in tracks or places to put pre existing track pieces?
    If they included a decent length of track and/or made using pieces that are readily available it would be good, otherwise I'd prefer just the tram and you can either use your own track or just pretend it's there.
    Brickchap said:
    If they built the rollercoaster track into a road segment that could be cool. Or maybe even some new road plates with built in tracks or places to put pre existing track pieces?
    If they included a decent length of track and/or made using pieces that are readily available it would be good, otherwise I'd prefer just the tram and you can either use your own track or just pretend it's there.
    I'd bet that the tram will be like the one in #8404, #60097, or #60271 in that it will have no tracks at all.  Hopefully it will be a width that can work with some kind of existing tracks though.
    Brickchap
    ^My brain won't be able to see anything different now until the actual set images come out!
    You're welcome 🤗
    560HeliportSwitchfoot55
    The description would definitely imply no track in the set and that you can put it on your own track. To me that suggests that it’ll run on the normal train track, but I’d love for something different.
    Brickchap
    @autolycus I agree. Maybe they will include a section of track but with those 'off ramp' pieces on either end.
    560Heliport
    ...well, I was really banking on today being the day. I guess the wait continues!
    edited September 20
    Pictures have leaked!!! I'm assuming these are accurate as they match the leaked rumor we had of a Music Store and Toy Store. I'll digest a bit more and comment, but I'm LOVING the look!

*Note for future self, first leaked photo, September 20th. No official announcement yet.

EDIT - On further look, not sure I needed another tree that takes up 200 parts of the total set count and buildings that appear to be 6 studs deep? (Okay...maybe 125 parts, but still) I still very much like the look, but just a general observation as the tree looks on the larger side.
    ModeltrainmanWesterBricksautolycus
    Pictures have leaked!!! I'm assuming these are accurate as they match the leaked rumor we had of a Music Store and Toy Store. I'll digest a bit more and comment, but I'm LOVING the look!

*Note for future self, first leaked photo, September 20th. No official announcement yet.

EDIT - On further look, not sure I needed another tree that takes up 200 parts of the total set count and buildings that appear to be 6 studs deep? (Okay...maybe 125 parts, but still) I still very much like the look, but just a general observation as the tree looks on the larger side.
    I love the tram!
    Switchfoot55WesterBricks
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,427
    Tram is looking chonky. Didn't think it would be that big.
    Switchfoot55WesterBricks
    ...or are those buildings 5 studs deep?
    Okay, I've been looking at it for a bit now. I definitely looks like it's maybe 5 studs deep on each building. Part of my brain even thinks 4 deep, but that couldn't be right...right? 

The overall design of the buildings, depth aside, looks really great. I'd say this feels more old-town main street than a winter village main street, but they'll be easy enough to integrate into the existing village. Scale looks good and comparable to the Hogsmeade buildings. Is the Toy Story Olive Green on top? Interesting color. Whatever it is, I like the contrast of that building. I'll likely grab parts in order to extend the depth by 2-3 studs, depending on what it already is. 

The tram looks really good. I was on the fence just hearing the rumor, but really like the look. I'll see if I can use the old Light Gray track pieces (3228b) to integrate the tram track into the road. I have the sleeper plates too, but think the integrated tracks could look really nice. Trying to decide if I could include one of the "pull-back" car motors underneath to be able to give it some motion without putting a motor in it. 

I like the little tram stop and tree as well! 

Based on everything I'm seeing in the single photo, I am really thrilled and can't wait to get my hands on it! 

(still some rumors about a $100 USD price point. If that's the case, I'll be beyond thrilled!)
    WesterBricksBrickchap