Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Help valuating/identifying this 80's castle display

mcvitiemcvitie Sheffield, EnglandMember Posts: 292
edited April 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
A relative of mine has had this since the late 80's. It is roughly 3 ft tall, all parts are glued and was on display in a UK branch of Makro. I'm just wondering how much something like this is worth? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• mcvitiemcvitie Sheffield, EnglandMember Posts: 292
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Well, I have no idea, but I noticed you do have the extremely rare white pigtail girl in the bottom window, so that alone is worth, what, like $50?
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    If that is a MOC that's a pretty cool one for 30 years ago.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    I think it is an MOC. I have never seen a set like that. Nice though.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    Well he did say it was a display model for a shop so of course it is a MOC. ;-)
  • fyrmedhattfyrmedhatt Member Posts: 128
    I think Gary Istok might be able to help, or at least know someone who can. It's a very interesting display, and I think its cool how it's displaying figures from different time periods (Classic Castle, Crusaders and the pigtail piece is from the mid seventies).

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^^ I'm sorry.. cause Walmart and the Lego brand stores don't have actual sets as display models? I knew it wasnt a full set but had no clue if the castle part was a set on its own.
    ^^ I'm sorry.. cause Walmart and the Lego brand stores don't have actual sets as display models? I knew it wasnt a full set but had no clue if the castle part was a set on its own.
    Apologies from me for misinterpreting your comment. But I see what you mean... :)
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    A bloody shame that it's glued.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    A job for @Istokg. ;)
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Member Posts: 291
    A bloody shame that it's glued.
    A job for @Istokg. ;)
    Agree!

Agree!
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,288
    edited April 2012
    A very nice TLG model. Yes unfortunately all TLG display models are glued... :-(

This model dates to about 1980-82. How do I know? It has a yellow castle, and no gray parts. Gray bricks (versus plates) were first introduced in Town sets in 1980 (#722), and in Castle sets in 1984 (new gray line of castle sets).

So that would date this to the Yellow Castle (#375/#6075) era. Another reason why it's early 1980s... there no specialty parts in this model... just basic bricks and windows/doors + early minifigs.

The value of glued retailer models is hard to determine... some are very photogenic, and could command hundreds, others are not that pleasing to the eye and would command less.

The glue they use at TLG actually bonds the bricks together, so they cannot be removed, or have the glue dissolved.

This is a very photogenic model, and would probably do very well on UK Ebay. Because of the high cost of shipping, and the fact that it's glued, it would be expensive to transport outside the UK.

Thanks for sharing!

P.S. I have a Dutch LEGO friend named Henk, who collects glued display models. He's let me use about a dozen of his model images in my LEGO DVD (now available! :-). His name is Henk, and here is his amazing collection of glued models on Flickr.... (be prepared for some amazing models!!)....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    (In our Flickr LEGO collectors group he's called "the glue sniffer"... lol...

^Wow, your knowledge about LEGO is just phenomenal, Istokg.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,233
    Thanks @lstokg.

I have seen Lego promos at toy stores for LEGO back in the 80's early nineties, but the one that sticks which me was a 'guess how many parts it was' large Victorian type mansion or some kind of villa that was sitting in a C Foster Toys store in IL.. It was MASSIVE and I believe it was minifig scale, or close, as well... Every now an again I wonder who was close enough on the part total....
  • mcvitiemcvitie Sheffield, EnglandMember Posts: 292
    Hi guys, thanks ever so much for your comments. I agree is is a very eye pleasing model, however I have not seen it in the 'flesh'. I will pass on the comments to my cousin. He has had this since he was a child, and is in two minds about parting with it.
    @LegobrandonCP Thanks! I encapsulated all my 52 years of collecting (since 1960!)... into the (now finally available) Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide (1949-90s) now available on DVD (it's too big for a book!).
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,616
    I completely disagree about the glued pieces. Had it not been glued it would be a pile of bricks in a box with it's history completely lost in time.
    Looks like this large castle model was built on both sides of the Atlantic. Here it is again at the Bellaire Ohio Brick Museum...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5559678821/in/set-72157626354071062