Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Full list of North American price increases

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 45,027
edited August 5 in Brickset.com articles
Full list of North American price increases

As you are no doubt painfully aware, LEGO increased the price of over 100 products in North America this week.

The new prices are now in our database and on the buy listings, so I have been able to compare them with those in July to create lists showing currently available sets that have gone up in the USA and Canada.

In the USA, 133 sets have had their price raised, some by 25% and others by $70. In Canada, it's worse: 75192 Millennium Falcon has increased by $150 and three Minecraft sets by $32!

Those of us in Europe will suffer similar price hikes in September so, while we don't know for sure that the same sets will be affected, it would be as well to order any listed below now, just in case.

Continue reading »

© 2022 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

Comments

• legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 367
    Ouch
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,273
    The Bricknerd article is very well done.
    daewooandhe
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,245
    It seems pretty harsh, but just working with logistics alone, where booking a truck can double and triple in the space of hours... I don't think that any of these increases are unreasonable.
    daewoo560Heliport
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 162
    Fortunately, so far, the price increase is only on [email protected] for now.  My local Walmart still has most sets on the shelf for the older, less expensive prices.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 3,246
    Today, I was in a WalMart that had many or all of the price increases- and some of those sets were on clearance! For example: #76831-1 Zurg Battle, price $34.97, clearance price $30.00... old RRP $29.99!
    AstrobricksmadforLEGO
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 3,246
    And I just spent about 1 1/2 hours reading all the comments on the main page- when I could be building my #75323 The Justifier! Way overpriced, IMO, but I got a bonus today which, after taxes, came to about $170... Obviously the universe wanted me to buy The Justifier today! 😆
    Astrobricksbpk2300
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,783
    The Bricknerd article is very well done.
    Yeah I'm not a numbers guy so a lot of it went over my head, but certainly explains a lot of the reasoning. I'd never really thought about how fixed pricing over a sets two or so shelf life had an impact on profits etc. 

Doesn't mean I like the price hike, but at least I can see the reasoning behind it other than 'Lego are greedy and just charge what they want' type argument (thought obviously there is an argument that they CAN charge what they think the market will bear). 
    560HeliportmadforLEGO
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,567
    After re-reading it, these things come to mind:
    -Inflation has been around forever (and LEGO never released a PR about it before, and taken such action). So what has LEGO been doing all of this time? Are they really trying to say they have been doing nothing but losing money over the companies existence? I find that very very hard to believe, sorry.
    -It appears we are also paying for past inflation on certain sets(so if a set was released in 2017, it appears they are also charging now in their RRP for inflation over that time), and if so, why are we, the consumer, being punished for LEGO's lack of planning if that is really the case? (and yes I get they can if they wish).
    -..and as for loss due to inflation over time, since we are likely to never know LEGO's actual cost (parts, design, production, boxing, etc) of a set vs the RRP they set, how do we know these figures are accurate? It strikes me as odd if they are not taking things like future inflationary costs into account when pricing their product. They know roughly how long a set will be out, and roughly know what inflation will likely occur over that time (never mind that the cost of the set likely goes down over time as the planning, design, implementation and what not is already likely paid for after some time of it initially being on sale). I presume they have some sort of accounting dept in LEGO somewhere?
    Finally, and like others have said: I get its their product, and they can make it more or less expensive as they choose and people will vote with their wallets with more or less spending on their product. I also understand I do not have a PhD in Econ, but I just do not accept the explanation as it strikes of either being disingenuous or incompetent.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,404
    Inflation was not that big a deal at 2% or so, as it was over many years, but now it is much higher.
    560HeliportMynatt
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,567
    CCC said:
    Inflation was not that big a deal at 2% or so, as it was over many years, but now it is much higher.

Yeah, in thinking more about it after writing that, that is true. I just think LEGO maybe could have done a better job with this and all things being 'equal', corps tend to slight it toward their advantage. In any case, I'll be spending less on LEGO at this point.
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 162
    I think the only reason that LEGO pre announced the price increase was to help pick up the sales in what is typically the slower summer season.  Just note the number of folks that commented about rushing purchases that they would have otherwise put off in order to beat the price increase.