Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

selling loose bricks - old or new?

MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
edited May 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
I'm trying to be tidy (and save some money) by selling some of the loose bricks I've acquired bulk buy. I'm trying to decide whether to keep the old bricks or the new style ones. The mix seems to be about 50/50 at the minute, and it seems to make sense to stick with one type...despite not liking them at first, I'm leaning towards keeping the newer style for myself.

Anyone know which type sells better? I'm planning on bundling them as 250 loose bricks (2x2, 2x3 and 2x4s) or by weight...

Any advice is welcome.

Comments

• newbieminifignewbieminifig Member Posts: 6
    Let me know if you interested in selling bulk I'm new to hobby looking to her some loose legos
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    There are people way more qualified to answer this question than me. By old/new style, I'm assuming you're referring to pre/post colour palette change? I would sell the old bricks and keep the newer style, purely because you will be able to easily add to the collection with new sets purchased.

When building, people generally don't mix old and new bricks as the difference is too jarring.

As for which sells better, I would imagine the newer bricks will sell better, but you can't have it both ways I guess.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Yeah, the colour change and the solid vs ridges inside bricks are what I class as new. I'm gonna keep those, so that new sets mix better with them.
    The yellows and reds are fine, but the blue and whites are in pretty bad shape - time to try the machine wash and h2o2 bleaching.

@newbieminifig I'm in the UK, there's about a kilo of red, blue, yellow and white 2x2, 2x3 and 2x4 and I'll chuck some 1x2 and 1x1s into the mix too. let me know if you have any interest.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,151
    edited May 2011
    Yeah.. I am finding it increasingly difficult to keep old and new colors (especially gray) separate, but I still rebuild old sets for eBay and ensure that I use the appropriate parts for the time period (Type 1 clips instead of type 2, etc) and the appropriate colors as well, so I need to keep my supply of pieces... especially anything Light Gray....
    I would say that after one or two buildings you will not believe how much Lego you use.. even something like 2xX bricks as filler or other parts.... That being said, you can also run out of room quickly (and I am too lazy to group my brick by color or size) I have been meaning to take a load of 2xX bricks over for my Nephews to have to play with since they are still young enough to view any Lego brick as a good brick to use.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I'm always in the market for bricks, just name yr price :)
    PS, this should be in 'marketplace'
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    ^ I thought that initially, but since @Savage_Steel was asking for advice on what to sell, I decided it was in the correct place for now. Should it turn into a sale discussion then it could be moved or perhaps a new discussion started in the marketplace.
    @Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK Hmm, no idea on price, I was going to put a mixed lot of about 300-400 on ebay and see what happens, last one I watched went for about £23, which seemed pretty impressive to me! The condition of them is very varied, the odd bite mark, range of blue/white colours, so I'm not sure you'd really want them? They'd be 'vintage' rather then new type. However, if you do, I'm sure I'll be acquiring many more in the coming months, as bulk buys and sorting are my fave thing, and I have limited need for basic bricks at the mo.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,649
    edited May 2011
    ^^^^ I've got to admit that I can sometimes really struggle to tell the old and new light greys apart in articifial light; my wife seems to have a much better eye for this than I do. It's important to get it right, not only because it's often jarring to see a mixture in models (unless of course you're actually going for that look, e.g. to make something looked aged) but also because when I'm 'restoring' old sets I want to make sure they're just right and not 'contaminated' (and let's not get into another OCD discussion...!)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,151
    edited May 2011
    ^ Exactly.. although I think 'contaminate' is kinda harsh :-)
    But space wise it is getting to be a bigger and bigger pain....
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    @Savage_Steel .... actually now i think a bit more its probably more cost-effective to wait til you have more due to the shipping costs. Also because, by the time you get to that stage, you'll realise you want them to build gantrys to support the bridges on your expanding train network, so you'll choose to keep them :)
    Si, they're in the washing machine right now. I'll weigh them when they're out and you can let me know what you think. I'm happy to ebay them, but also happy to sell/trade on here. I could do with the cash after a £465 outlay on lego this month, but you know my fondness for trains and houses :)

Just to be clear the bricks are 2x2 2x3 2x4 - around 35% red, 20% blue, 20% white 25% yellow.

My experiment with bleach on a couple of blue and white bricks showed good results with the white, and not much change in the blue. I'm thinking of doing all the whites.
    For the record there's 900g or so. The machine wash didn't really help much.
  • lukehankenobilukehankenobi Member Posts: 6
    UV damaged Lego is fixed by a very strange method. Put it back in the sun. Greenhouse is good. I didn't believe it till i tried it.
    The UV and H2O2 is working well on the white bricks - not much change on the blues though :(
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,649
    Folks, there seem to be a number of threads emerging regarding treating U.V. damaged LEGO. See for instance http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/497

While I don't doubt that @lukehankenobi has had some good experiences, the general consensus is that you need more than just re-exposure to sunlight to solve the problem. The necessary recipe seems to involve H2O2 + laundry booster + sunlight.