Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

SDCC 2022 Exclusive Minifigures/Sets Discussion

mattytreksmattytreks San Diego, CAMember Posts: 201
First off, allow me to get this out of the way right now -- it has been three long years, and I cannot contain my excitement that SDCC is finally back!!!  It really is such an exciting, fun event!

Alas, the annual tradition continues once again with this iteration of the SDCC Minifigure/Set predictions and discussion, this time for SDCC 2022!  Comic-Con starts in three short weeks, so between now and then we should be seeing quite an uptick in LEGO-related news.

As for sets, I'd love to see them put forward a small Stranger Things diorama, though the only properties we've historically seen LEGO produce for SDCC have been DC, Marvel, or Star Wars-related.  A break in tradition would be nice.  There are so many different ways LEGO could go for the DC and Marvel sets, I cannot even hazard a guess.

As for minifigures, I am going to predict:
  • Marvel - America Chavez (MoM)
  • DC - Black Adam
  • Stranger Things - Will Byers
There you have it...now give us your best thoughts and predictions before the official news starts to break!
Pitfall69

Comments

• vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,191
    I'll see you at the show!

Excited for sure, but a little worried. The figures used to be predictable year over year, prices before and after the show were high and then dropped and plateaued. After the pandemic, the prices just kept going up and up and now I fear for everyone collecting that these could become unattainable in the open market.

Marvel - Deadpool variation
    DC - Batman variation

Perhaps Lego will skip this year or change things up.
    mattytrekskbw
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,526
    They did a The Hobbit set (Bag End) and also a Super Mario Toad set. And if you include minifig only sets, they have done Azog, Bard, Barb from Stranger Things, Unikitty. And longer ago Indy and Bionicle.
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 1,108
    edited June 2022
    For the Marvel figure, I'm going to go with the white suit version of Moonlnight (jacket & tie).
    I'm hoping I'm wrong because that is a minifig I would like to have.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,197
    Since they've been kind enough to release a Daredevil, Punisher and Blade in the Daily Bugle set, I'm not sure if there is anyone else I would open my wallet for.

Maybe a MoM Reed Richards?

I'd really like them to make a Jessica Jones so I can closeout my patchwork Netflix Defenders minifigure set, but we're probably too far away from that being relevant to warrant a minifigure.
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 628
    edited July 2022
    I have not kept up with the news on LEGO stopping regional exclusive sets but did LEGO ever decide to stop doing SDCC exclusive merchandise? I don't see any SDCC in the database for 2021, or was that just pandemic related?
  • mattytreksmattytreks San Diego, CAMember Posts: 201
    Mynatt said:
    I have not kept up with the news on LEGO stopping regional exclusive sets but did LEGO ever decide to stop doing SDCC exclusive merchandise? I don't see any SDCC in the database for 2021, or was that just pandemic related?
    Correct – that was pandemic related.  Since there was no SDCC in 2020 and 2021, there were no exclusive LEGO sets or minifigures commemorating both events, because they did not happen.
    Mynatt
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 1,007
    To be honest it's hard to make any sort of predictions about what Lego's SDCC presence will be like given that we've gone two years without. For all we know their "exclusives" could be totally different from the ones there have been in the past (even though I expect at least that DC and Marvel Super Heroes will be represented in some way, shape or form).

Anyway, as somebody who's less interested in collecting licensed themes I'm more interested in whether Lego has any panels related to their own IP like Ninjago or Monkie Kid. This year both themes are resolving some of their major storylines so I'd be interested in getting at least some impression of where they go from here.
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,461
    I'll be interested to see if there are any LEGO exclusives this year, I wouldn't consider it a 'definite' as it was in years past.

Granted, if there are, I'll have to invest to keep the collection complete. Bleah...
    SumoLegoFizyxAyliffe
    samiam391 said:
    I'll be interested to see if there are any LEGO exclusives this year, I wouldn't consider it a 'definite' as it was in years past.

Granted, if there are, I'll have to invest to keep the collection complete. Bleah...
    I’m starting to get nervous, to say the least.  10 days out, and not a peep from LEGO.
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,367
    The Brick Fan is reporting that there are no LEGO exclusives listed in the exclusives portal.
    SumoLegogmonkey76
    Phew!
    MarshallmarioThe_RancorFizyxgmonkey76
    SumoLego said:
    Phew!
    Explain yourself, lol!
    SumoLego
    I find the entire low-production exclusivity of SDCC minifigures to be silly.  Particularly when LEGO is literally the largest toy manufacturer in the World.  They don't need to do gimmicky things to promote their product.

I also continue to resent that I only have a Phoenix by sheer coincidence.  And I can't open my Collector.
    sipussmadforLEGOBumblepantsFizyxgmonkey76kbwAyliffe
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,492
    SumoLego said:
    Phew!
    Well, it’s definitely the same for everyone outside the USA too!
    sipussJern92gmonkey76
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,512
    @SumoLego thanks for my annual reminder I am missing a Phoenix. Now I am sad again. Seriously though make more X-Men sets
    SumoLegogmonkey76
    I don't mind them existing, since I'd never want to collect them anyway.

But I think what they did with Bard, Azog and Bilbo (twice) to be much more 'friendly'. That is, putting regular production minifigures into exclusive printed packaging or cloth bags or small sets with common parts. Even do them as previews of upcoming sets, so comic con collectors get them first. That way, someone that wants something primarily because it is rare can do so, but everyone is able to obtain the contents.
    The_RancorPJ76ukMarshallmarioBrainsluggedgmonkey76SumoLegoAyliffe
    @SumoLego thanks for my annual reminder I am missing a Phoenix.
    I'll neglect to mention it is perhaps the best looking minifigure they've ever produced.

But thankfully, we have 17 versions of the Black Widow.
    KungFuKennygmonkey76
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,093
    The Brick Fan is reporting that there are no LEGO exclusives listed in the exclusives portal.
    Exclusive portal was used last time for the exclusive sets, but they also had exclusive figures that you had to line up for. But in years past LEGO announced the figures the week before the convention. Since we haven't heard anything yet, maybe there really are no exclusives this year?
    In 2017, Lego didn’t release information about exclusive minifigures until just days before the give away. https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-marvel-super-heroes-deadpool-duck-sdcc-2017-minifigure-revealed/
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 421
    edited July 2022
    Kinda agree with Sumo, but OTH these have easily been, by far, the best Lego purchases I’ve made strictly from an investment perspective. I’m shocked at what these are going for now, so kind of torn about how to feel about it. At any rate, I’ll go with 

Marvel: Moon Knight
    DC: Something Batman related
    Stranger Things: Eddie Munson
    SumoLego
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,461
    :(
    Pitfall69SumoLego
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 2,175
    kbw said:
    Kinda agree with Sumo, but OTH these have easily been, by far, the best Lego purchases I’ve made strictly from an investment perspective. I’m shocked at what these are going for now, so kind of torn about how to feel about it.
    Having such exclusive figures/sets kinda ruins it even if you are successful enough to get them though. As @SumoLego mentioned above, he can't ever open is Collector minifig, and it sounds like you're in the same boat. As someone mentioned earlier, exclusive packaging (not contents) seems to be the best of both worlds as it keeps both the "exclusive mint in box" collectors and "open and build" collectors happy.

It's kinda the same with retired sets. I have all the modulars but have only got round to building a couple. When I do finally get round to making the Green Grocer etc, I just want to be able to enjoy it without thinking/worrying about the £1000 I'm passing up by not selling it.
    SumoLegoFizyxMarshallmario

It's kinda the same with retired sets. I have all the modulars but have only got round to building a couple. When I do finally get round to making the Green Grocer etc, I just want to be able to enjoy it without thinking/worrying about the £1000 I'm passing up by not selling it.

That happens on even small sets too, not just the big ones. I've opened a few Hobbit and LOTR sets recently for a few parts or maybe just one figure, not even to build the set. Although luckily there you can often sell the rest of the figures for almost or more than a sealed set is worth.

The only LOTR/Hobbit figure I have not got on display is the Blue Coat Bilbo, and I have the same dilemma there. Do I open the sealed plastic pod thing on what is now a £150-200 figure. I'll probably never sell him, but it seems silly to open him to display him at that value.

FizyxMarshallmario
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,454
    samiam391 said:
    Yup. No more SDCC Exclusives :(
    SumoLegomadforLEGOgmonkey76
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,512
    Pitfall69 said:
    samiam391 said:
    If only there was another Con to step up with an exclusive figure once again...
    Pitfall69SumoLegomadforLEGOgmonkey76
    Pitfall69 said:
    samiam391 said:
    If only there was another Con to step up with an exclusive figure once again...
    Oh man. You remember all of that? Those were the days ;)
    BumblepantsSumoLegojmeninnomadforLEGOgmonkey76
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 2,249
    CCC said:

The only LOTR/Hobbit figure I have not got on display is the Blue Coat Bilbo, and I have the same dilemma there. Do I open the sealed plastic pod thing on what is now a £150-200 figure. I'll probably never sell him, but it seems silly to open him to display him at that value.

I had not realized that the value on that figure had gone up so high. I had to go look on BL myself! I think I paid like $20-25 for mine... yikes. I've had mine out on display with the rest of my LotR sets for years. But I don't have any plans on hiding him away now.
    SumoLegoFizyxPitfall69messyMarshallmarioGothamConstructionCo
    I just looked back at my messages ... I got my Blue Coat Bilbo in Aug 2013 in trade for three Stig keychains!

Those were the days, when there were regional exclusives and reasonable postage costs. It is nice looking back through old messages. I seem to have sent quite a bit to the States back then, a fair few Stigs and Team GB.
    pxchrisBrickByBrickPitfall69gmonkey76GothamConstructionCo
    I honestly like exclusives because I'm a collector and I like the hunt. I'd rather pay $150-200 on an SDCC minifigure the week of the Con than spend $150 in LEGO that I don't need;  to qualify for a freebie from LEGO. 

I know they won't say exactly why they have stopped with the SDCC exclusives, but I'm sure it's from the many people that have complained that it isn't fair. Now, we won't get special and unique minifigures like Sheriff Deadpool because of it. Very sad indeed.
    CCCSumoLegoSwitchfoot55
    People have always complained about them and it didn't bother LEGO in the past. I wonder if they have realized that people still attend the comic con and that there is still a buzz about new LEGO sets on the Internet without the exclusives. If they want a similar effect, they could probably produce 20000 of an exclusive figure and do it for 1500 points or whatever through VIP. 
    SumoLegoMarshallmarioBrainsluggedgmonkey76
  • sipusssipuss PolandMember Posts: 207
    Pitfall69 said:
    Now, we won't get special and unique minifigures like Sheriff Deadpool because of it. Very sad indeed.
    LEGO can and indeed still does release special and unique minifigures, except in widely available sets, CMFs etc. #40454 comes to mind, Pork Grind and Iron Venom both look like something that could end up as a con exclusive. Yes, the exclusivity is not there and I suppose that kills the interest for some people, but I prefer it this way, rather than having characters like Jean Grey, Atom or the Collector available only through these events (and later from resellers at a gazillion % markup).

The_RancorSumoLegomadforLEGOMarshallmariogmonkey76
    They did produce the Black Widow, WW/Cheetah and the Nebulon-B Frigate.  Those seem to have sold out pretty quickly.
    Pitfall69madforLEGOReesesPiecesgmonkey76Fizyx
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,721
    I issue I always had with these promos was they were only if you could attend SDCC, so for those entitled few who either lived there, or can afford to travel there, could afford to spend to stay at a hotel for a few days and afford to get into SDCC to have a chance at these... LEGO choose to do this, they could have easily made these available for major conventions world wide, but choose to use ONE convention do it. They could have made some website that would have allowed people globally to enter raffles for these as well, and did not. While anything chosen would not be perfect other than making these production figures, it would have been better than being at one convention if the world.
    Im glad they are gone, I think reasons may be that with the uncertainty of the Covid Pandemic they really were not sure if there was going to be a 'live' SDCC this year. Maybe all of the recent bad PR about their price increases that they figured maybe having exclusive figures at the most expensive Con in the world may look bad...Maybe they figure that since they have the CMF series now they can release variants that way... Or maybe they are just so full of themselves now they do not want to make exclusive sets only for the Con cause they feel its 'beneath' them to do, to have to schmooze to get people to want their product, they are LEGO after all: People should flock to them, which would jive with their apparent attitude these days.

gmonkey76Fizyx
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 1,108
    SumoLego said:
    They did produce the Black Widow, WW/Cheetah and the Nebulon-B Frigate.  Those seem to have sold out pretty quickly.
    The Frigate and Black Widow, yes.  The Wonder Woman and Cheetah, not so much... 
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-DC-Wonder-Woman-77906-Building-Toy-Model-Featuring-Wonder-Woman-Cheetah-and-Etta-Candy-255-Pieces/938776755?athbdg=L1100
    SumoLego
    SumoLego said:
    Yeah, but that was last year, not this year. The Frigate was only offered on Amazon and was limited to 1 or 2 per household I believe.
    gmonkey76SumoLego
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,822
    And the only reason we in the USA could buy them was the Cons they were for were canceled after they were in production/made. I wouldn't look to much into there not being any this year. Next year (if there isn't a bug) is what will tell if they are done. 
    madforLEGOLyichir
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,654
    gmonkey76 said:
    And the only reason we in the USA could buy them was the Cons they were for were canceled after they were in production/made. I wouldn't look to much into there not being any this year. Next year (if there isn't a bug) is what will tell if they are done. 
       Well, the WHO declared Monkey Pox a global emergency the other day so we can probably expect another bug next year too. Wink wink
    Modeltrainman
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 1,152
    ^That's fine and all, but what does Roger Daltrey have to do with this?
    560HeliportlowleadMarshallmario
    This may unofficially conclude a chapter in the Lego SDCC minifigure exclusives. I'm not upset or happy that we no longer have the opportunity to collect these figures. I enjoyed greatly the exhilaration of winning these rare figures, but also will not miss the frustration of patiently waiting in line only to get denied the figures. It has been a huge aspect of my collecting habit the past decade so I'd like summarize the sales prices that I have collected over the years through eBay and Bricklink. Since, although I won many figures, I still had to chase those that I didn't win (i.e. 2012, 2013 and 2020). 

The table is not complete, as I didn't collect data every year since the inception of the exclusives, but offers an interesting guide for those that have collected or are interested in the pursuit of these contentious, but rare figures. If you have sales information from some of these figures from your own eBay bids, I'd be interested in adding that information to the table. The prices reflect the median annual prices from completed sales from eBay (some Bricklink), excluding figures that are obviously incomplete, damaged, or AFA graded. The sales were not screened for potential shill bidding or other fraudulent sales.

Take the information for what's worth. The prices were somewhat predictable between 2011-2019, but the pandemic and cancellation of SDCC 2020 caused the pricing of collectibles to go through the roof.
    tomahawkerCovipxchrisPitfall69
    jmeninno said:
    ^That's fine and all, but what does Roger Daltrey have to do with this?
    We won't be fooled again!
    lowlead560HeliportPitfall69jmeninnoMarshallmario
  • lowleadlowlead Downeast, USAMember Posts: 675
    SumoLego said:
    We won't be fooled again!
    ...not my generation, at least.  Not sure about them young kids...

560HeliportSumoLego