Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 947
    I have over 300k pieces. I currently just use sterilite 12 qt bins and sort by color first, then grouped by design within the color. But I have a closet with shelves that allow it to all be off to the side together. For smaller pieces I have drawers from work that do that (similar to the Akro Mills drawer system).

I've never used a really useful drawer system, so unsure on what those are.
    Redbullgivesuwind
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,271
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 989
    The fairground is 50% complete (slightly less if I factor in the lighting I want to do).

I have been badgering Powered Up experts (see here) to figure out the best way of powering the sets (I've never had them all assembled together, and have only two PF motors, and it's getting expensive to go down that route in the aftermarket).

I now have a Hub and a Linear M Motor powering each ride. I have two more motors ready to plug into the hubs when the Carousel and Mixer are built (though I suspect I will have to get a third party extension product, like these ones from PV-Productions).

I have a Light My Bricks light kit for the Ferris Wheel, but haven't gotten around to putting it on yet. Depending on how that goes I might follow suit for the Roller Coaster and Carousel (there isn't one for the Mixer, at least not LMB).

garethjedwards560HeliportRedbullgivesuwindlegomental
  • empireempire BC, CanadaMember Posts: 69
    A couple Detolfs and a Kallax..Added Plexi doors to the Kallax and dust-proofed all..Still currently in progress..Lots more adjustments and Legos still boxed to do.. 
    I keep my Speed Champions in a Detolf too, what shelves did you use as risers? They look like a perfect size
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,093
    They look like little bubble cities.
    gmonkey76GothamConstructionCopxchrisiwybsCymbelineMarshallmario
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,209
    I adjusted the top shelf in my garage to allow me to stack two Ezy totes of modular buildings, for maximum efficiency...
    Why not just take them apart? They would store in 75% less space. Especially the CC, that has the brittle brown.
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 1,284
    edited April 18
    FollowsClosely said:
    Why not just take them apart? They would store in 75% less space. Especially the CC, that has the brittle brown.
    I have a small display shelf for my modulars, so I like to store them assembled so I can swap them quickly. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    That's my plan too. I'm fortunate enough to have space for 11-12 modulars at a time, but there are obviously more modulars than that. I theoretically have space for 2 more right now, but I'm using a couple of half spaces for non-modular stuff and may keep it that way. Once I finally build 2 more modulars, I'll need to remove one. Whatever is removed will go into similar bins to WesterBricks' in my basement. (they're Sterilite, but same idea of storing them fully assembled.
  • sonofrich2sonofrich2 NAMember Posts: 17
    In the previous pic of the 1st unit, I wasn't able to turn on the lights.  I use a vehicle battery, 100 watt inverter & a string of 75 watt led lights.  I was able to clean the unit a little 2 weekends ago & find it.  So here is an updated pic.
    WesterBricks560HeliportMarshallmarioFizyxSumoLegolegomental
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 330
    I rather think my husband tries NOT to think about how much LEGO I own!!
    Cymbelinepxchris560HeliportMarshallmarioSwitchfoot55iwybsSumoLegoMr_Crosskhmellymel
    In the previous pic of the 1st unit, I wasn't able to turn on the lights.  I use a vehicle battery, 100 watt inverter & a string of 75 watt led lights.  I was able to clean the unit a little 2 weekends ago & find it.  So here is an updated pic.
    Is this by chance the sort of storage space intended for large RVs?
    Never mind this is a good representation of how much LEGO I wish to own. 
    Might be an underestimate, but sufficiently ridiculous for non-AFOL civilians.
    Switchfoot55Astrobricks560HeliportMarshallmario
    Check my orig posts on page 39.
    Check my orig posts on page 39.
    So I guess that’s a “no”? Sorry, it just looks unusually tall inside.
    Switchfoot55
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,209
    Why would you not finish the space first? Would that not be a whole lot easier in the long run?
  • steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 202
    Why would you not finish the space first? Would that not be a whole lot easier in the long run?
    Money money money
    WesterBricksSumoLegogmonkey76FollowsCloselypxchrisMaffyDlegomental
    My LEGO room is in my basement which is unfinished. Money is exactly right. I need space for the stuff now. Eventually I'll have to move it all out to finish out the room which will be a hassle for sure, but nowhere else to put it for the time being. I guess I could not have bought so much LEGO until I got the room together...
    FollowsClosely560HeliportlegomentalSumoLego
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,855
    I've had to start the process of building an entirely new house to weasel my way into a "dedicated" LEGO room. I'm sure it will inevitably become a shared family space by the time it's said and done. 
    pxchris560HeliportMarshallmarioFizyxautolycuslegomentalSumoLegoeMJeeNLKungFuKenny
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 989
    Ooh, I like the idea of putting the UCS plaques flat on the shelf @steveomcl. Gives it more of a museum feel, I think? 
    WesterBrickspxchrisSumoLegomaaaaaaa
  • steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 202
    Ooh, I like the idea of putting the UCS plaques flat on the shelf @steveomcl. Gives it more of a museum feel, I think? 
    Absolutely! I think it's alot cleaner! Not to everyone's taste but certainly adds more of a display factor against the white IMO.
    SumoLego
  • dspigeldspigel Newport NewsMember Posts: 471
    Very classy looking display. 
    ogeL_ManiacSumoLegoOnebricktoomany
  • WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 532
    I need some additional pairs of eyes.

These are the displays in my home office currently. Above my desk, trains and model team. Above the part drawers, a couple of modular buildings and other randomness.

I’m considering rearranging and streamlining. I really want to display all of my modulars, and I could fit two rows of nine buildings (18 total, give or take) above my desk.

Then on the parts side, I think I might move the Model Team shelves in the corner where the roller coaster is now, and then the rest of the space above the drawers would be an expanded train display.

I would obviously need to store/sell the roller coaster and Batmobile, which is fine. I also want to install a ceiling light, so I can get rid of the tall lamp and add two more drawer units.

Thoughts?

560Heliporttruck730dpa1pxchrisMarshallmarioOnebricktoomanysonofrich2
    edited May 24
    I've got the 3x Iron Man in my endless queue of things to build, but I passed on the Darth Vader, and I'm inclined to pass on the Batman.

The 3x Iron Man is excellent with the helmet on one side and the blaster on the other.  There's energy in the frame moving from right to left.

The Vader and Batman just look like they added torsos to the original head design.  Blech, boring.  Batman has abs.  Wonderful.  I'd much rather have him socking Joker in the face, or even just a face-off with Gotham in the background.  (Or even a mirror-image of the Iron Man design, with Batman punching or throwing a batarang...)

(And the designers on the Mickey/Minnie just phoned it in on the 'alternative' design for the combined sets.  Literally placing them next to each other isn't alternative by definition or in spirit.)
    BumblepantsPJ76ukMr_CrossFollowsCloselyFizyx
    While I've only been active on the forum a short while, It is time to put my addiction on hold for a while.  I may be liquidating the entire collection soon.  Please see my wall for additional details.  I want to thank all those who viewed & / or comment on my posts.  So good bye for now.  
    SumoLego
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,855
    I certainly hope all is well, @sonofrich2
    SumoLego
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,103
    While I've only been active on the forum a short while, It is time to put my addiction on hold for a while.  I may be liquidating the entire collection soon.  Please see my wall for additional details.  I want to thank all those who viewed & / or comment on my posts.  So good bye for now.  
    In your wall, you stated, "Due to recent ongoing problem with LEGO, North America, I am strongly considering selling off my entire collection."  I'm curious, what problem?
    SumoLego
    That is ominous.
    edited June 7
    autolycus said:
    Looks amazing, but they’re not ALL displayed at once. You’re missing one…
    All of ~~mine~~ are displayed. I’m missing two, and I don’t currently have $1300 to spend on them.
    560HeliportautolycusKungFuKennymak0137
    Smart thinking putting the older taller buildings together and the newer smaller buildings together so they don't look too awkward. But it is surprising/refreshing to see the Police Station be taller like the older style also.
    WesterBricks
    autolycus said:
    ::runs out of room to avoid the grenade blast::
    When did the Town Hall become controversial?
    Switchfoot55MarshallmarioFollowsCloselyautolycusKungFuKennydavetheoxygenmanmak0137
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,721
    SumoLego said:
    I think that was when they put business rates up and reduced waste collection.
    Briking560HeliportMr_CrossBumblepantsSumoLegoLobotKungFuKenny
    SumoLego said:
    autolycus said:
    ::runs out of room to avoid the grenade blast::
    Ever since they raised property taxes!

@WesterBricks It's an excellent collection, and I was absolutely not trying to suggest it was lacking at all because of Town Hall. I was making a joke about the Market Street "controversy" because my brain didn't even register that you didn't have Town Hall either.

Side question: Do you have enough room to the left for any more, or are you going to have to start removing them as the new sets come out each year? I'm already well past that point, unfortunately.
    KungFuKenny
    autolycus said:
    ...I was making a joke about the Market Street "controversy"...
    Oh, now you've done it.
    Switchfoot55560Heliportdavetheoxygenman
    ^^ I have room for one more right now, but I can also remove the 2021 Lunar New Year park and gain 48 studs from that. So, another couple of buildings and I’ll have to start being selective again.
    SumoLegoautolycus
    Time to cut some drywall...
    autolycusdavetheoxygenman
    By my math, you need about 14 1/2 feet to display all of the modulars through 2021 (BH). That’s a lot of shelf space! I guess I’ll have to plan my dream home’s Lego room to have a 20 ft continuous shelf for some future growth! Ok, don’t really need a single continuous shelf, so 2 10’ shelves with enough clearance on the upper one for Town Hall will do.

And that’s just the shelf space I need for the modulars!! I also need space for all the SW UCS sets, a bunch of Ideas sets, etc. Goodness me, I’m gonna need a big Lego room!!
    autolycus said:
    2 10’ shelves with enough clearance on the upper one for Town Hall will do.
    That’s basically what I’ve done here, two 93 inch shelves spaced appropriately to place the Town Hall on the top shelf, whenever I am lucky enough to find one.
    autolycusSumoLego
    autolycus said:
    I’m gonna need a big Lego room!!
    You're gonna need a bigger boat.
    davetheoxygenmanMarshallmario
    SumoLego said:
    autolycus said:
    I’m gonna need a big Lego room!!
    You're gonna need a bigger boat.
    Not until they release a Bruce Brickheadz.
    SumoLegoSwitchfoot55
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 703
    autolycus said:
    2 10’ shelves with enough clearance on the upper one for Town Hall will do.
    That’s basically what I’ve done here, two 93 inch shelves spaced appropriately to place the Town Hall on the top shelf, whenever I am lucky enough to find one.
    What will happen if the Modular Construction Site arrives? Me thinks that's quite a bit higher than TH? 

Oh, and do we count it as a Modular?! (yes I went there...)