Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Unpopular LEGO Opinions

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,352
    I enjoyed Avatar and look forward to the Lego sets and second film. There, I said it ;)
    I too enjoyed Pocahontas In Space. I'm not over eager for more films though. The Lego could be fun if it has good parts and goes on sale for a nice price.
    lowleadBrickchapiwybs
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 711
    I'm only interested for new & interesting parts which unfortunately will most likely fall under licensed parts and therefore not be available for purchase on BnP.  Watched Avatar once and I can't even tell you what it was about except there are Navi & a wounded soldier.  Of course some of what I know comes from having ridden Flights of Passage at Disneyworld multiple times.  I know nothing about Last Airbender but the mocs I've seen on Ideas look like a giant slug creature with legs, Uggg!  Not something I have any desire to build.
    SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,093
    edited March 23
    daewoo said:
    Either allow all religious inspired builds or none of them.  
    Is the Greek or Roman (or Norse) polytheistic system really a serious world religion?  More to the point, I think this policy is in-line with their military theme policy - this is a child's toy and LEGO would prefer to stick with the creative aspects of play.  

And if you want to buy a bucketload of tan bricks and build Jerusalem - go for it.  I will say that LEGO can set whatever policy for IDEAS that they like.  No religion, no politics, no war... that is fine by me.
    iwybsdatsunrobbieMarshallmarioFizyxJ0rgen
    edited March 23
    I too enjoyed Pocahontas In Space.
    If it has well-written characters and a good plot, I'll like it.  If it's a blatantly transparent piece of environmentalist propaganda with cardboard characters and a garbage story, I probably won't.

If it's Ferngully 2, I probably won't be impressed.  If's it's Godfather 2, I'll like it more.
    lowlead
  • Casper_vd_KorfCasper_vd_Korf Twente, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 233
    SumoLego said:
    Is the Greek or Roman (or Norse) polytheistic system really a serious world religion?
    After a quick google, as far as I understand it mythology is a collection of stories, and religion consists of mythology, but also has rituals, morality etc. So, I think that the Iliad and Noah's ark are myths, and the Vestal Virgins and something like choosing the pope is religion. Also, if the myths lose their connection to religion and evolve, it becomes folklore.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_and_mythology

Folklore has been in quite some lego sets, such as the popup book or the red riding hood cmf. Myths have also been seen, such as a war goddess, which just is Athena, and a faun. Also, Thor, Loki, Fenris wolf and valkyrie have been in marvel sets, which adds a complete other layer of complexity. Religion is not as obvious, but there are some christmas angels, and christmas trees are a combination of christian and yule (I think) traditions. Monkie kid, Ninjago, and the chinese celebration sets have aspects of all three as far as I know, but I'm not familiar enough with the culture to comment on that.

I would be fine with sets based on religion and myths personally. Monkie kid has been great, and I hope something like that will happen for other cultures.

Marshallmario
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 943

I agree with @daewoo that Lego really needs to fix it's double standards.

As far as religions are concerned, I would still count Greek, Roman and Norse as serious religions. Sure, they may not necessarily have many followers, but they still meet the criteria for a proper set of religious beliefs. Therefore, if Lego is going to say NO RELIGION then they should adhere to that.
    In saying that, I don't think Lego should start making religious sets and don't have a problem with a no religion policy as long as its clear.

As far as their military policy, that really needs to be reassesed. Lego has broken it's NO MILITARY rules SOOOO many times and this new Avatar theme will only increase that.

Now you are absolutely correct that Lego should be able to set whatever policies they choose, and I also agree Lego is a children's toy and often sticking to the creative play part is best.

My issue (as indeed many others agree) is Lego being like politicians:

Lego says it doesn't do military stuff, yet time and time again has done just that, even when not necessary (eg jets in city sets that are clearly based on modern fighter jets and often quite new designs at that).

Instead of denying it does military stuff Lego should just come forward and clarify what is okay and what isn't. Acknowledge the fact that in the past Lego HAS made military stuff and continues to do so.

Furthermore, unless they choose to go with a strictly no military policy, then Lego should acknowledge that military stuff and conflict play is an inevitable part of toys thesedays, especially if you want to cater to an American audience and therefore just make military stuff when it is applicable, eg licensed themes, and continue to make civilian versions of military aircraft and vehicles (eg Creator, City) without pretending they are not doing that.

To clarify my point I'm not saying Lego should start making a full military theme like COBI, just stop acting like it's fake news when they make military equipment or realistic guns in sets (licensed or otherwise), and hiding behind a very ambiguous 'no military' policy.
    Modeltrainman
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 486
    Surely on the basis that Jedi is now considered to be a legit religion for census purposes, LEGO must immediately stop selling anything related to Star Wars. Can’t see that being a problem.
    iwybsFizyxOldfangmonkey76OldTownBricks
    @Gibbo1959 That's a good example. It's literally star WARS, has a officially recognised religion, multiple brutal deaths, war crimes, whole planets getting destroyed, people choked to death, and it's clearly based on WW2 with very Nazi-esque bad guys eg First Order (literally looks like the Nuremburg rallies). But SW is okay? Red Skull is legit an actual Nazi and he's okay too.

But no Indy sets because it's got Nazis, the majority of which are just German soldiers not necessarily Nazis, and all of which are entirely fictional, especially the plot lines.
    @Gibbo1959 That's a good example. It's literally star WARS, has a officially recognised religion, multiple brutal deaths, war crimes, whole planets getting destroyed, people choked to death, and it's clearly based on WW2 with very Nazi-esque bad guys eg First Order (literally looks like the Nuremburg rallies). But SW is okay? Red Skull is legit an actual Nazi and he's okay too.

But no Indy sets because it's got Nazis, the majority of which are just German soldiers not necessarily Nazis, and all of which are entirely fictional, especially the plot lines.

So in this case I'm not saying ban Star Wars because it has religion, I'm saying Lego should come out and say well Star Wars has religion in it but we are accepting that for these reasons. Indeed, perhaps Lego policy should be "No contemporary religion in realistic settings" which clarifies that ancient religions are acceptable (eg Greek mythology) and futuristic religions are also acceptable.
    Sorry it wouldn't let me add stuff to my post and now I can't even delete my first post. Not trying to spam the group here.
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 222
    lowlead said:
    James Cameron is a pompous douche and I don't care about Avatar LEGO...ooof, I'm a Saltine Cracker today =oD

Despite his talent as a film maker, I could barely sit through a recent 'revisit' of the technical timeline of the Titanic disaster:  A bunch of millionaire Oak Island types in a roundtable circle jerk waxing philosophically in front of a scale model longer than a tour bus.  Eye-rolling, narcissistic and insufferable.

...but thanks for Aliens ;) 
    i felt the same way about the show with all the directors of the Mandalorian.
    SumoLego
    I think there is a significant amount of nuance missing in all of these assertions.  Red Skull is a comic book character, not an actual Nazi.  

LEGO isn't under any obligation to promulgate edicts regarding their products.  What should be clear is that LEGO is controversy-adverse, but simultaneously revenue-attracted.  Navigating away from what creates controversy but also continues to fill the coffers is the balancing act.

Star Wars is fantasy.  Comic Book Heroes are fantasy.  LEGO is in the business of fantasy, no matter what other parallels may be drawn between fantasy and reality.  

Is there any point to some empty declaration that LEGO's policies are hypocritical or inconsistent?  Wonderful.  They're selling toys, not offering absolution, a moral code to follow or anything of the sort.  

They're not making military toys, they're not doing co-marketing with Shell.  I'm still buying their product and helping push them to remain the World's leading toy manufacturer.
    Bumblepants560HeliportMarshallmarioiwybsJRBricksAanchirgmonkey76PeteM
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,367
    I enjoyed Avatar and look forward to the Lego sets and second film. There, I said it ;)
    I second this- after riding the Avatar rides at Disney I re-watched the movies...I think there could be some seriously good builds re-creating the world of Pandora...

I just hope we get a Banshee as well...

Marshallmario
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 222
    i forgave them the 4 hour wait in line after this ride. it is one of the best rides at Disneyworld.
    SumoLegoKungFuKenny
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,775
    edited March 24
    I too enjoyed Pocahontas In Space. I'm not over eager for more films though. The Lego could be fun if it has good parts and goes on sale for a nice price.

These sequels have been delayed and delayed so will be interesting to see what releases first, the sets or the films they are meant to be based on. As we see repeatedly in hollywood plans and sequels can soon be dropped if films underperform (though I had read they were filming a number of these sequels back-to-back, so in that case a lot of the money is already invested...).

Treehouses, colourful creatures, VTOL aircraft and mechs... I can see why lego would get onboard. With the Jurassic movies taking a pause I can see them wanting to fill that 'giant creature and vehicle' product gap.

I enjoyed the first movie in the cinema, but more for the 3D spectacle than any originality in the storyline. I keep almost watching it again on Disney+ so be interesting to see whether it holds any interest without the 3D experience, perhaps that sort of movie that makes enjoyable 'background watching'.
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 2,011
    ^ I feel the EXACT same way about the Pirate/Soldier armies I see stacked on baseplates. Everytime someone posts one on any of the pirate groups I'm in I just roll my eyes.
    Mr_Cross560HeliportRedbullgivesuwind
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 947
    I'm always impressed by seeing large scale armies, even if it is in a boring set up like that. Now, I do usually question why they went so cray on buying so many. But army building was always fun as a kid for me, so I guess that carried over to adulthood. But I just toss my figures in a bag and put it in the closet, so why do I army build? I like wasting money I guess...
    560Heliportandhe
    I agree and disagree with above. Army pictures like that do look very cool in formation, but yes, it is rather boring especially when they are just stuck on a baseplate.

I'd much rather see a diorama for example the Battle of Waterloo and have all your red coats on one side and blue coats on the other, with maybe a small group of custom 'green coats' (Prussian cavalry), coming along. Have some cannons firing, terrain and you've got a really cool set up!

Not everyone could afford that of course, but even if you just take a photo of all your knights for example in formation, and then use them to populate your castle (perhaps with a small formation gathered in the courtyard) that's a lot better than just 'look how much money I can spend purely on the exact same minifig 300 times over!'
    560HeliportWesterBricksiwybs
    pxchris said:
    ^...I see stacked on baseplates...
    What?!?  Nobody impressed with my 500 2x2 red bricks lined up in straight rows?

It's almost like it takes no talent to line up minifigs on a baseplate.  
    Brickchap560HeliportiwybsBumblepantspxchris
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,775
    When I first got back into lego you could pick up vintage castle and pirate figures pretty cheap on ebay (£1-2). I ended up selling a lot off as realised I didn't have much need for 30+ figures per faction. Just kept enough to complete the sets and a handful of extras.
    I now see vintage collectors with 100-200+ black falcons, lion knights lined up on a baseplate etc and it's no wonder fig prices are £4+ for a 'common' figure.
    Each to his own I guess, some spend £500 on a grey star wars spaceship that sits on a shelf, some spend that on a parade of vintage figures. It's just not for me. 
    Brickchap560HeliportiwybsMarshallmario
    I do think Lego should release more battle pack sets for things like knights and Imperial soldiers (as well as other themes).

It's really annoying when you can't even properly defend your castle/fort (eg Creator 3 in 1 Castle with only 2 knights....). My Kingdoms King's Castle had a decent amount of troops although a handful more would have been better. My current medieval display uses almost all of my collection of knights to create a tiny battle scene with about 6 pairs of fighting knights, with some mercenaries chucked in here and there (various CMF knights).

I was lucky enough to come across an original Black Falcons knight one day (a rather boring torso print to be honest), but I've been able to borrow his shield for the front of the Creator Castle and therefore give both my new Black Falcons shields.

It is particularly annoying in my pirate display as for years I only had one Redcoat, just one! Even with the entire 2015 line worth of blue coats (except for the couple in Brickbeard's Bounty, I would have loved to have gotten that wig piece), I still had a very, very small amount to defend my Imperial fort.

Thankfully I got a bunch of Classic Imperials, both red and blue coats, so I now have a small group of Austrian Army soldiers (classic red coats), led by the one 2009 red coat in a tricorn defending my fort, while my converted Black Seas Barracuda (now the Princess Rahel of the Austrian Navy), is populated by all of my 2015 bluecoats as Marines, the classic blue coats as officers, and the pirate torso with the blue jacket and brown belt, and red banana for the sailors.

Nevertheless, to return to my original point it is ridiculous that you can buy every set in the entire wave of sets and still have barely enough soldiers to defend a fort, let alone anything else.

(just to clarify, the fort in my display is the 2015 fort and outpost put together, plus some walls I built, but even the 2015 fort and outpost alone still requires more soldiers then are provided, especially if you want to have some in rowboats or just shooting at the pirates)
    @Aanchir You make a good argument. A little late to the debate but still valid of course!

Nevertheless I would still argue Avatar is at a minimum in a grey zone as although it's fantasy, the human tech could definitely be considered reminiscent of current (and very near future) U.S army tech. They have modern (current, non fantasy) uniforms, more or less contemporary guns and those helicopter things look an awful lot like Apaches with twin rotors. Now to by honest I actually don't have a problem with that, but considering Lego won't make Spitfires or even bolt action rifles for fictional settings (or for example a Creator 3 in 1 Spitfire) yet is happy to make modern military tech that (fantasy or not) would definitely be recognisable in relation to current conflicts, I would question that.

Interestingly all of the statements Lego has come out with say "from hostilities around the world", "realistic weapons and military equipment that children may recognize from hot spots around the world" or words to that effect. Now from a legal perspective (regardless of thoughts on Lego, military toys etc.) I would interpret that to mean contemporary conflicts. So for example a Ninjago tank clearly based on the tanks the Russians are using in Ukraine would be a big no no (which makes sense and I agree with). Furthermore, I would extend that 'contemporary' time period to the Gulf War for example, as while it is 30 years ago, the technology and weapons used haven't changed much and would still be recognised  by children who weren't even alive during the Gulf War as modern military stuff.

On the other hand, I would then argue that conflicts roughly from the 1950s backwards should be acceptable subject matter (within reason). I'm not at all advocating for COBI style full military sets, or anything like Nazis, tanks, gas, Stuka dive bombers, flamethrowers etc. What I mean is that armed biplanes should be okay, as well as aircraft such as the Spitfire or any WW2 plane as well, again within reason (pretty much any well known WW2 German plane would be synonymous with the Nazis and therefore not recommended). I wouldn't suggest tanks but things like staff cars, general equipment, trucks, halftracks, even something like a Universal Carrier should be acceptable (and remember that most situations where such ideas would be used they wouldn't need guns anyway).

1950s fighter jets, MiG 17s, Sioux helicopters (there's a couple of Korean War era helicopters, one is shaped like a sideways pear and the other is called a Shawnee/Workhouse helicopter.) are other examples of tech I would consider historic and therefore acceptable. (They wouldn't have Soviet or American markings of course)

Just on tanks, even a Great War tank is so old fashioned now I would consider it separate to modern conflict (and frankly I doubt many kids would be interested in it anyway). Now of course I dont think Lego should make any tanks but if they made the Indy tank for example (which itself is technically made up), I would argue it's over a century old so it shouldn't count as 'a realistic weapon or military equipment that children may recognize from hot spots around the world'.

And I would say the same for some WW2 tanks (obviously something like a Tiger or a T 34 is out), but say the Adventurers had an M3 Stuart or an M8 Greyhound for example, I would consider that again not falling under the category of modern warfare Lego clearly restricts. Should Lego Adventurers have realistic style tanks? No, not necessarily, it is merely an example.

In the past Lego has been accepting of things like WW1 era biplanes and generic halftracks (they even included a 50. cal style MG on the halftrack in Pharaohs Quest) so I would encourage them to continue that trend and extend it a little further like the examples I give above.

And just to clarify I'm not saying Lego should now go and make all these old military stuff, simply that if the situation arises (whether that be in a licensed theme like Indiana Jones or simply a new idea for a Creator set or vehicle/weapon in a City set or other non-licensed theme) they should be acceptable.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 3,232
    @Brickchap
    Or LEGO could just avoid (mostly) anything close to modern military equipment and warfare, and just make all kinds of other stuff. Why invite controversy by drawing a line, then getting right up to that line? Some people won't get the nuances of when, for instance, a particular tank was in service and will call LEGO hypocritical for making it. 
    J0rgenMarshallmario
    @560Heliport Well that was literally the point of my first argument LOL.

Either Lego does the approach like I outline above, or does no military-like sets at all, as you rightly argue and I previously wrote about.

Myself and others previously listed various examples of where lego has done military things, like the Sopwith Camel, halftrack and biplane in Pharaohs Quest, various modern fighter jets in City (sure they are multi coloured but they are no different to a recoloured Spitfire or Sherman tank) and I called them hypocritical (especially with the clearly modern military tech used in Avatar, which is 'acceptable' because its fantasy, yet Indiana Jones is also completely fictional with supernatural elements and yet it is considered 'unacceptable'), only for others to disagree and say lego should just do what they want.

Ultimately it is Lego's choice, but as I have already argued previously that if they are going to set boundaries only to go right up to, or even break, those boundaries, then they should just ban all military style products as a whole, including the increasingly militarised City police (those trucks are looking more and more like Bushmasters and U.S army trucks from Afghanistan).
    We don't yet know what the sets from Avatar are going to be, do we? They might be only the navi and Avatar wildlife. (Although this seems unlikely.)
    @560Heliport Definitely a fair point, although to make Avatar sets without the humans and their vehicles would be like Star Wars without Darth Vader and the Death Star. Maybe I'll be proven wrong (or they will include humans and their tech but to an absolute minimum), in which case I would question the point of creating the theme in the first place if they are uncomfortable with a such huge part of the storyline.
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,636
    Definitely tell them via the online survey thingy!

560Heliport
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,209
    daewoo said:
    So I absolutely hate that Lego stopped including the set number on instruction manuals in some new sets....looking at you Ideas and 18+.  
    Yes this is so annoying, not sure its unpopular.
    560Heliport
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 1,284
    daewoo said:
    So I absolutely hate that Lego stopped including the set number on instruction manuals in some new sets....looking at you Ideas and 18+.  
    Not sure that's unpopular. I suspect most of us dislike it! It really messes with my filing system both when filing and even more so when looking for a book!
    BrickchapOldfan
    I don't like smooth, studless builds. Where am I supposed to put all the neat printed DOTS tiles? 
    WesterBricksModeltrainman
    Aquazone is the best LEGO theme. Yes, I said it!
    ModeltrainmanCharmiefcbWesterBricksMr_CrossPeteMpxchrisMarshallmarioKungFuKennyThe_Rancor
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman Reading my Bible, sorting and buildingMember Posts: 988
    @560Heliport Toy Story is the best licensed theme, then!
    560Heliport
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 451
    Aquazone, Ice Planet then Western.
    WesterBricks560HeliportMarshallmarioKungFuKenny
    @Charmiefcb Those are all great themes.

I wonder what Huwbot would rank as best themes. 1.  Clikits, 2. Scala 3 Dots?

LOL Remember when poor Huwbot called fake news where he put up graphs of how many of each set he shows for the RSOTD and Clikits wasn't actually the most common?
    560HeliportKungFuKenny
  • leo3344leo3344 JapanMember Posts: 17
    My unpopular opinion is that I wish Lego would release more City sets every season and more modular buildings every year, look like they tend to release one only every year.
    Brickchap
  • WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 532
    Re: the announced price increases.

The price of Lego has remained relatively flat for decades. Sooner or later they would have to raise MSRP, and remember some of that increase will go to the retailer and not the manufacturer.

Don’t like it? Vote with your wallet. Any other expression of displeasure is just hot air.
    560HeliportAstrobricks
  • PhoenixioPhoenixio Canada/FranceMember Posts: 190
    Apparently we didn't have much unpopular opinions since April, so good job "community" for being so consistent for a few months! 
    WesterBricks
    edited July 18
    I like the new Vibrant Yellow! I want more!
    Mr_CrossBumblepantsPJ76uk
  • WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 532
    ^ I think it has value in very small doses in very specific use cases, but since it's a new color this year, they are shoehorning it into sets where it doesn't belong.
    Brickchap
    ^ I think it has value in very small doses in very specific use cases, but since it's a new color this year, they are shoehorning it into sets where it doesn't belong.
    Such as? It's mostly used on emergency vehicles, and DOTS sets. 
    And... It's Lego; colorful plastic is the point!
    AstrobricksMr_CrossPJ76uk
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,271
    I hear the new Eiffel Tower is going to be all Vibrant Yellow! ;-)
    iwybs560HeliportandheBumblepantsPJ76ukpxchrisKungFuKenny
    @WesterBricks I agree with Westerbricks, the new vibrant yellow or 'highlighter yellow' is being way overused and is extremely limiting.

@560Heliport And what exactly is wrong with Lego's existing yellow colour palate? Would you describe the traditional yellow colour as drab or boring? Seems colourful enough to me already.

The main problem with the highlighter colour is precisely that. It's a fluro highlighter colour that aside from some modern emergency vehicles or a DOTs set, is completely unusable in other situations. It is way too bright and makes MOCs look like some 2 year old has coloured in the yellow with their highlighter. I like colours and pieces to be versatile. Pieces are debatable since we've seen some really great uses made out of very specialised pieces, such as the Minecraft wolf head for greebling on the modular police station. Colours however can't be changed or adapted. I would have much rather seen more shades of blue, green or brown, all of which we need in my opinion.

There's nothing wrong with having sets bright and colourful, especially ones aimed specifically at kids. What the problem is is that it's so bright and colourful it ruins the look. Even as a kid I would have really hated having to make things out of highlighter colours.
    @Brickchap :
    No one is forcing you to use Vibrant Yellow. To the best of my knowledge, TLG is not retiring any of the other yellows. 
    "Way overused". Please list all of the sets that contain Vibrant Yellow.
    PJ76ukiwybsAstrobricks
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 452
    edited July 19
    29 sets. 4 are dots, 14 are emergency services. None are 18+/Icons sets so they are all aimed at the younger market really. It's quite easy to avoid the colour.
    560HeliportPJ76ukSpeedman29
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,352
    I bought 500 1*2 vibrant yellow plates. For reasons yet to be determined 
    560HeliportPJ76ukWesterBricksdaewoovizzitorFollowsCloselyAstrobricksKungFuKennyOldTownBricks
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk EnglandMember Posts: 818
    I don't own any sets it currently comes in but I can see it being used for things like neon signs, spaceships/aliens, sports equipment, sports cars (not just emergency vehicles use neon yellow!), caps and other clothing items for minifigs and who wouldn't want to own a neon yellow bicycle?! Sounds pretty versatile to me...
    560HeliportBumblepantsvizzitordaewooMr_Cross