Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How does everyone store their collection?

15678911»

Comments

• karmajaykarmajay NCMember Posts: 50
    Joannes has a 50% of scrapbook containers this weekend!
    KungFuKennySumoLegopxchris
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 1,284
    Reposted from a different thread, with a more general question first:

What sizes of Really Useful Boxes do people like, and for what purposes? (e.g. storing minifigures, disassembled sets--and which type/size(s) of sets, assembled sets--what type/size, boxed sets, sorting parts, temporary use while building a large set, etc.)

My specific question, mostly focused on assembled modulars -- I want to be able to rotate my modular display area without having to disassemble and reassemble fully each time:

Speaking of Really Useful Boxes... Has anybody figured out an ideal size for storing assembled sets like modulars? I'm guessing to get a enough height, I will probably need a box size big enough for 2 baseplates? What sizes do people like?

It looks like maybe a 48 liter XL would be a good option, but has anybody got those and have feedback? The RUB site lists internal dimensions of 207⁄8" x 1213⁄16" x 13" (length, width, depth) I think the taller modulars can be stored with the roof removed (and maybe even disassembled) if necessary.

80 liter could also be an option, but it seems like overkill for most sets. Internal dimensions are: 24" x 149⁄16" x 14".

And what sizes do people like for complete, but disassembled sets?
  • MarshallmarioMarshallmario Madison WIMember Posts: 296
    Is it just me or do Really Useful Boxes look really, really expensive!
    FollowsCloselySumoLegodatsunrobbie
    Is it just me or do Really Useful Boxes look really, really expensive!
    They're pretty expensive, especially in the US -- I think they're a little more reasonably priced in the UK, where they're made. They do have a few advantages over other brands though: They're more robust, are more squarely shaped--less curve and taper on the inside--have nice locking lids, and have a wide variety of sizes. I have used Sterilite so far, but I do see the advantages of Really Useful Boxes for certain things.
    gmonkey76Marshallmario
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,271
    edited January 23
    I’ve always found the Sterilite bins with the flip up lid locks that Target and others sell to be quite adequate. They come in a variety of sizes and they stack easily. I’ve noticed with RUBs, they stack, but you have to line them up exactly. The Sterilite ones self align better.

I also have a lot of Sterilite ones with a clip that’s closer to the RUB design that I used to buy at Walmart. These are slightly nicer and came in some “flatter” sizes, but Walmart didn’t seem to be carrying them much any more as of a couple years ago.
    BumblepantsFizyxMarshallmarioFollowsCloselySumoLego

I found these Ezy brand waterproof storage bins today at Target. They fit modular buildings perfectly, I mean perfectly — the bottom is precisely sized for 64 x 48 studs worth of buildings, and they are about 12 inches deep. I only had to remove things like the Diner’s antenna and the spire from Assembly Square.
    I don't see those on Target's website. Any chance you still have a label or something that shows more info about them? Brand, capacity, etc. would be great.

Target does sell Iris brand, which I know are a little nicer than Sterilite, but I've never seen them in my store. It's shipping only, at least in my area.
  • WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 536
    edited January 24
    Sure, these are Ezy Storage 79.3qt IP67 Waterproof Storage Boxes, DPCI (SKU) 002-02-3684.

I'm not sure where the negative reviews are coming from, maybe they had a bad batch at some point.  Mine are sturdy plastic with a little bit of flex to them, and don't seem brittle at all.
    autolycusAstrobricks
    Sure, these are Ezy Storage 79.3qt IP67 Waterproof Storage Boxes, DPCI (SKU) 002-02-3684.

I'm not sure where the negative reviews are coming from, maybe they had a bad batch at some point.  Mine are sturdy plastic with a little bit of flex to them, and don't seem brittle at all.
    Thanks! Looks like they're not available right now at my Target, but I do see them at other Targets in the area. Must have just been a filter issue before. Now I know for sure what to look for. They also have a ~53 qt bin that wouldn't work for 48 studs wide, but will probably work pretty well for 32x64. They're a little shorter, so a little more problem with the taller sets, but I think the roofs can be dealt with.
    WesterBricks
  • OldTownBricksOldTownBricks VirginiaMember Posts: 105
    I recently lucked into a copy of #375 / #6075 Yellow Castle on eBay that's in remarkably good condition (the stickers are actually still almost fully saturated).

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to store and/or display the set that keeps the stickers in good shape? 

I was thinking about a 10" x 10" acrylic case, but wasn't sure if that was the best idea. 
  • mdaclarkemdaclarke United KingdomMember Posts: 2
    First time poster, long time fan of lego trying to get my son involved.  

I have a wide variety of sets, star-wars, city, simpsons, pirate ship etc.  

After a while I destruct my sets and store them all mixed up in big plastic boxes.  I keep the boxes and instruction manuals in case I ever want to build them again in the future or sell/gift them in the future. 

The boxes all live in the garage taking up more and more space.   
    WesterBricks
  • Chipl95Chipl95 Ontario, CanadaMember Posts: 1
    Currently I have my bricks all sorted by colour. (Seemed like a good idea at the time, haha) I am moving house next month and plan to slowly resort by element type. I will also be purchasing more plastic drawer units asap after the move.
    dpa1SumoLego