Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,271
    Picked up a minifig display case from Wicked Bricks. The quality is really good and it looks great to see some of my figs on display. Only downside was that a load of the studs had come out so had to spend ages putting them all back in. 
    That must be the wicked part ;-)
    560HeliportRedbullgivesuwindSteppedonabrickOnebricktoomany
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,212
    edited January 4
    I have found a decent solution to dividing sterilite drawers. Not cost effective as a $9 pack fills just 80% of one drawer.

https://www.target.com/p/4pc-plastic-drawer-organizer-clear-made-by-design-8482/-/A-53814247
    BumblepantspxchrisWesterBricksOnebricktoomany
    ^ What are those weird SNOT bricks with the triangular wedges on top?
    Onebricktoomany
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk EnglandMember Posts: 819
    Are you referring to the cockpit space noses?!
    https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=2336
    AstrobricksKungFuKennyFollowsCloselyBumblepantsmessyMr_CrossOnebricktoomany
    PJ76uk said:
    Yes, thank you. I would never have thought to search “cockpit space nose”.
    BumblepantsmessyMr_CrossOnebricktoomany
    PJ76uk said:
    Yes, thank you. I would never have thought to search “cockpit space nose”.
    I only recognise it as I have one in #6849 Satellite Patroller!
    AstrobricksKungFuKenny560HeliportMr_CrossFollowsCloselyOnebricktoomany
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 2,078
    That must be the wicked part ;-)
    I would suggest they change their name to pain in the arse bricks instead.
    AstrobricksKungFuKennyOnebricktoomany
    Lots of potential for that space!
    Onebricktoomany
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 989
    ^^ Indeed, I'm excited! I put my desk at the window to maximise available wall space for shelving. Right now I'm thinking of having BESTA on the wall to the left of the desk (2 x 120cm long units) and a large IVAR to the right. Then maybe some LACK floating shelves to make use of whatever space is left over. 
    gratefulnatDjblythe05Addicted2OxygenlowleadOnebricktoomany
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,859
    @Legographic, thank you for sharing your photos! I had a friend when I was in elementary school who had a room similar to that. His parents really went all out to make it this incredible space. It inspired so many adventures and dreams in those early years of life. The fact that your space is available for kids to play is really amazing! 
    LegographicOnebricktoomany
  • LegographicLegographic LegographicMember Posts: 7
    edited January 10
    @Legographic, thank you for sharing your photos! I had a friend when I was in elementary school who had a room similar to that. His parents really went all out to make it this incredible space. It inspired so many adventures and dreams in those early years of life. The fact that your space is available for kids to play is really amazing! 

Thank you, yea that was really important to me. I don't want my collection to just sit there and collect dust. I don't really play with it other than run the trains here and there (frankly I don't even do that often). I really enjoy building, organizing/reorganizing, customizing etc so its awesome to have kids come over the enjoy/play with everything.

Happen to have any pictures by any chance? Would love to see it.
    Onebricktoomany
  • arathemisarathemis RomaniaMember Posts: 478
    PJ76uk said:
    Finally had a chance to look round the new house as the build is almost finished. Wife is adamant we keep one spare bedroom for guests but graciously says I can have the 5th bedroom for a Lego room so my son and I can build in, currently his little sister forever interrupts his building which usually ends up on arguments!

Bit of a blank canvas so think I'm going to build some custom shelves to display my models with a built-in desk for building on once we move in! Room is slightly less than 3m x 3.2m.

Hopefully attached the correct picture, have a few dozen on my phone but all rooms look similar once we got home to show the kids!
    That seems like a really small radiator. You think it is enough to heat up the room? Once you fill it with shelves it will be harder to replace it.
    Good size room though, looking forward to see it finished and populated. 
    Onebricktoomany
    No photos from my childhood friend's LEGO room, unfortunately. But it was much the same as yours with displays surrounding a central play area with multiple levels of buildings and trains and vehicles. 
    LegographicOnebricktoomany
    arathemis said:
    PJ76uk said:
    Finally had a chance to look round the new house as the build is almost finished. Wife is adamant we keep one spare bedroom for guests but graciously says I can have the 5th bedroom for a Lego room so my son and I can build in, currently his little sister forever interrupts his building which usually ends up on arguments!

Bit of a blank canvas so think I'm going to build some custom shelves to display my models with a built-in desk for building on once we move in! Room is slightly less than 3m x 3.2m.

Hopefully attached the correct picture, have a few dozen on my phone but all rooms look similar once we got home to show the kids!
    That seems like a really small radiator. You think it is enough to heat up the room? Once you fill it with shelves it will be harder to replace it.
    Good size room though, looking forward to see it finished and populated. 
    For whatever its worth. My room is in the basement, no heat (I have a space heater if I need it). Heck I don't even have any ventilation (small gap under the door).

It minimizes the dust very well....so far I have not had any moisture smell issues
    Onebricktoomany
  • garethjedwardsgarethjedwards Member Posts: 34
    @Legographic thanks for sharing, that really is a next level Lego room, the wall artwork is amazing. @PJ76uk I'm really looking forward to seeing yours progress. I hope to have a similar size room myself by the end of the year
    CymbelineOnebricktoomany
    edited January 10
    @arathemis I plan to integrate a build table/desk into the room which would go under the window so won't be an issue. I'm sure the heating will be fine, I'm British anyway so cold climes are nothing new!

@garethjedwards I will be starting work on the room sometime in March/April and will post updates.

Switchfoot55garethjedwardsOnebricktoomany
    @Legographic thanks for sharing, that really is a next level Lego room, the wall artwork is amazing. 

Thank you, I appreciate that. Took a bit of work, but I enjoy painting :)

I could have done better though, I did not get any depth in this room so ....learned my lessons, will adjust for next time. 
    Switchfoot55pxchrisgarethjedwards
    Posted a couple of pages back about finally buying a house, and fulfilling my long awaited dream of having a LEGO room. Moved in just before Christmas, so the project starts in earnest now.

This is my blank canvas (with a tiny fraction of my collection, which came with me from my last place). Suffice to say, IKEA will be getting a lot of my money in the next couple of months...

Look forward to sharing updates!

Nice little milestone - my first shelving is built! I have two BESTA units side by side:

I do have a decision to make, though. I bought doors for the units, but now I'm second guessing the purchase. The door on the far right unit will probably not open fully, as it will hit the desk (just visible in the frame). 

I also bought some battery operated LED spotlights, since I'm reluctant (for now) to go down the road of drilling holes to accommodate striplights. 

But the best conundrum of all - I have to decide what's going into the units! The main reason I bought these was to have my fairground set up running along the top; haven't thought a lot about what to put underneath yet. 
    gratefulnatdpa1RedbullgivesuwindAddicted2OxygenOnebricktoomany
  • lowleadlowlead Downeast, USAMember Posts: 566
    ^ @Steve_J_OM Great room - it's a blank canvas!  I really like the floors, too.  My guess is that it will take time and several versions before you dial in the room just right.  What a great task to have.
    On an unrelated note, I really enjoyed my time in Ireland.  Spent a lot of time in Limerick/West coast between 2004 to 2014.
    gratefulnatOnebricktoomany
    lowlead said:
    ^ @Steve_J_OM Great room - it's a blank canvas!  I really like the floors, too.  My guess is that it will take time and several versions before you dial in the room just right.  What a great task to have.
    On an unrelated note, I really enjoyed my time in Ireland.  Spent a lot of time in Limerick/West coast between 2004 to 2014.
    That's awesome! I'm so glad you saw our West Coast, you really got to see the most beautiful parts of our country.

And yes, it will take some time. On the one hand I'm impatient to get it perfect, and on the other I'm excited about having a long term project!
    gratefulnatlowleadDjblythe05Onebricktoomany
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 381
    @Steve_J_OM great to see you getting started. I'm four months into my 'new' LEGO room and am still having a good time working on it. As @lowlead stated it takes a while. Somethings work at the start, and after a few week, a new idea pops up and need to be integrated.
    I do miss Ireland. My parents lived on Cape Clear Island for 25 years before moving back to the US. I visited them on a yearly basis, got to know the coast from Cork up to Limerick very well. The emerald isle. And guinness!
    lowleaddpa1
    @gratefulnat That's lovely to hear, I haven't actually had the pleasure of visiting the island but that part of the country is beautiful. 

Thanks also for the help you gave me with IVAR a couple of months back - the longer 50cm shelves came back in stock and I have a big unit on the way that's waiting to be filled with sets!
    lowleadgratefulnat
  • Lo1sJessLo1sJess Alexandria, VirginiaMember Posts: 215
    @Switchfoot55 congrats on the property
    Switchfoot55FollowsClosely
  • MarshallmarioMarshallmario Madison WIMember Posts: 296
    Wow! Room looks excellent! Floor looks great. I like all the matching containers in 3 sizes ? Could you give me the brand...hopefully available in U.S.
    Onebricktoomany
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,795
    @Marshallmario They look like really useful box. I've found them in craft and office supply stores. Can also get from Amazon. 

SumoLegoMarshallmarioOnebricktoomany
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,095
    gmonkey76 said:
    @Marshallmario They look like really useful box. I've found them in craft and office supply stores. Can also get from Amazon. 
    They're these brand.  They are much better than your standard Wal-Mart/Sterlite-quality.  I tend to buy Iris branded storage because it is heavier plastic and less prone to sagging and bending.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwje0v6-isb1AhWhgVsKHdFaD14YABA-GgJ5bQ&ae=2&sig=AOD64_2uWFDcezx_j_OnG0eydd3aCVA81g&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwjI8_G-isb1AhWLkokEHWY_B34Q0Qx6BAgDEAE
    gmonkey76MarshallmarioOnebricktoomany
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 1,284
    Speaking of Really Useful Boxes... Has anybody figured out an ideal size for storing assembled sets like modulars? I'm guessing to get a enough height, I will probably need a box size big enough for 2 baseplates? What sizes do people like?

It looks like maybe a 48 liter XL would be a good option, but has anybody got those and have feedback? The RUB site lists internal dimensions of 207⁄8" x 1213⁄16" x 13" (length, width, depth) I think the taller modulars can be stored with the roof removed (and maybe even disassembled) if necessary.

80 liter could also be an option, but it seems like overkill for most sets. Internal dimensions are: 24" x 149⁄16" x 14".

And what sizes do people like for complete, but disassembled sets?
    Onebricktoomany
    There is actually an ongoing storage thread. It just hasn’t had much action in six months.
    https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/51/how-does-everyone-store-their-collection/p10
    Onebricktoomany
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,103
    One day I'll show my storage of unopened Lego sets I've collected over the years.  It's a collection I done over the years, but reluctant to show.
    MarshallmarioWesterBricksdpa1OnebricktoomanyLegoEveryone
  • MarshallmarioMarshallmario Madison WIMember Posts: 296
    Would be great to see! I also have a collection of unopened sets
    Onebricktoomany
  • WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 536
    I have one unopened set 😆
    560HeliportOnebricktoomany
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,228
    Wow! Room looks excellent! Floor looks great. I like all the matching containers in 3 sizes ? Could you give me the brand...hopefully available in U.S.
    Yes they're mostly Really Useful Boxes. I use the 1.6L and 3L boxes mostly. Also in my bookcases are various cheap 1.7L-2L boxes on the third shelf up, and 5L Ikea storage boxes (without clips) on the top. I wouldn't recommend them tbh.

I also have some 9L, 18L and 35L (I think) boxes under the desks.

I will say that although the UK has nice RUBs, I am rather jealous of the US and their Akro Mills drawer units, which we can't get here in the UK.
    KungFuKennyWesterBricksMarshallmariogmonkey76OnebricktoomanylegomentalLegoEveryone
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,783
    Akro Mills makes great drawers, but the Workzone drawers that Aldi sells a couple of times a year are very similar at a fraction of the price. Biggest difference that I noticed was the Akro Mills drawers have a tab on the back so they are less likely to slide all the way out by accident. I usually pull the drawer all the way out when retrieving parts, so I actually prefer the Workzone drawers.
    Onebricktoomany
    @FollowsClosely, how are you going to join the two slabs? They are beautiful pieces!
    Onebricktoomany
    ^ Unfortunately my plainer is only 12" wide. So the first thing I will have to do is cut the 18" boards down to 12". Then the plainer will create a smooth edge on both sides. Once I have two smooth sides, I will square off one end of each plank. At that point I have two 90° edges I will simply glue them together. And every woodworker knows that a properly glued joint is stronger than any wood.

Switchfoot55Onebricktoomany
    ^Sounds like a solid plan. I wasn't sure if you were considering joining them via epoxy resin to keep both live edges or join them together as above. 

I had a vision of this stream of epoxy resin down the middle of the planks with LEGO floating around between them. 
    560HeliportOnebricktoomany
    ^ I am not a fan of the epoxy resin tables. They look nice, but too modern for my taste.
    Switchfoot55Marshallmariogmonkey76Onebricktoomany
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 544
    @FollowsClosely - are you going to go with live edge on the outside edges or straight?  We are in the middle of making a live edge dining table. I'd love to see progress pics :)
    Onebricktoomany
  • Lo1sJessLo1sJess Alexandria, VirginiaMember Posts: 215
    @FollowsClosely you might want to check with any local woodworking clubs, mills or furniture making shops to see if they will plane for you on a larger planet so you keep more width and less boards.  My father has made a couple of live edge tables and bookmatched two board wide dining tables that are beautiful and worth trying to maximize your boards.  The place that kiln dried your slabs might have a recommendation.
    ^ That is great advise.  I am trying to avoid spending and you are right, it is probably worth spending the $$ to get an extra 10"-12" on that table.
  • mdaclarkemdaclarke United KingdomMember Posts: 2
    First time poster, long time fan of lego trying to get my son involved.  

I have a wide variety of sets, star-wars, city, simpsons, pirate ship etc.  

After a while I destruct my sets and store them all mixed up in big plastic boxes.  I keep the boxes and instruction manuals in case I ever want to build them again in the future or sell/gift them in the future. 

The boxes all live in the garage taking up more and more space.   
    Bumblepantsmustang69dpa1RedbullgivesuwindOnebricktoomany