Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

BendyBadger's Brickset BonusBall Bonanza Part Deux! - SumoLego @lowlead Edition! (Drawing 1/16/2022)

SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,095
Aloha Bricksetters... Happy January 9th to Everyone in the Forum!  It's the first day of National Pizza Week in the US.  

As promised on Christmas Day, I have again returned to preside over the second of two very special BonusBall drawings!  I was surprised (but not really surprised) that the fantastic @lowlead has made available not one... but TWO (2) of the very exclusive #40483 Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber.

The drawing will not be run to coincide with the BonusBall, so the title is actually accurate only in spirit.  We want as many unique posts in thread as possible, so please avoid double posts - but EVERY unique post will be counted.  My grouchy son, who will be back from a camping weekend, will uncooperatively hit the random number generator to determine the winner.

If the prize isn't your thing, I do have a wide variety of extra sets, polys, figures and Lego-related whatnot in my inventory - and I'm happy to substitute the lightsaber for something of reasonable comparable value.  (And no, I'm not shipping a UCS Millennium Falcon to Norilsk or Auckland.)  But I suppose I could be convinced to hand-deliver one to Wellington.

Finally, I strongly urge everyone that enters to make a donation to FairyBricks.  If you happen to win the raffle, making a sizeable donation for FairyBricks would be even better.  If you don't win the raffle, but still make a sizeable donation, that that makes you a true saint.  

If you're new to the Forum, or not really familiar with what FairyBricks does, please check out their website.
https://www.fairybricks.org/

Direct Link for making donations:
https://www.paypal.com/uk/fundraiser/charity/66053

Back to the normal nonsense with the drawing... the question for your consideration:

Am I the only one that has inserted the magnificent re-imagining of Scene 38 into ANH?  I must admit, the last time I watched ANH, I was puzzled for a minute why the original scene was still in it.  It now reminds me of Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon 'fighting' in Grumpy Old Men.

Both are awesome scenes.  And arguably, interchangable...

Enjoy!  And Good Luck!
BumblepantsLobotSpeedman29OnebricktoomanyModeltrainmanbrickedinReesesPieceskiki180703lowleadSirBenGothamConstructionCoKungFuKennySeijiAmasawamessyRenegade007cjhgratefulnat

Comments

• Lo1sJessLo1sJess Alexandria, VirginiaMember Posts: 215
    Must confess I don’t have much of an imagination.  I only remember years ago watching repeatedly and hoping each time for a different ending where Obi lives which of course would have messed with the whole story!
    lowleadSumoLego
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,355
    I mainly just expect Robot Chicken sketches to happen while watching and then remember there is the original dialogue instead.
    560HeliportlowleadKungFuKennySumoLego
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 2,156
    I can't watch any of the original trilogy without swapping the dialogue from the Family Guy versions in. "aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"

Thanks again to @SumoLego for organising and @lowlead for donating.
    lowleadKungFuKennySumoLego
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman Reading my Bible, sorting and buildingMember Posts: 989
    I haven't watched SW in so long, I wouldn't know what to expect!
    lowleadSumoLego
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 545
    No you are not the only one, being of a certain vintage means i see everything in ANH through rose tinted glasses (until i watch it again).
    lowleadSumoLego
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 3,234
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    gmonkey76lowleadSeijiAmasawaSumoLego
  • sipusssipuss PolandMember Posts: 163
    It's been a while since I've rewatched ANH, but I do remember the scene being pretty difficult to watch. Never seen this re-imagining before though, so thanks for that.
    lowleadSumoLego
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 1,089
    I never had this issue but something tells me I might next time I watch ANH all thanks to you. 😀
    Thanks for organizing once again!
    lowleadSumoLego
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,309
    Nope. I'm a purist when it comes to Star Wars.
    SumoLego560Heliportgmonkey76lowleadKungFuKennySeijiAmasawa
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 619
    It is a little weird watching the original fight after watching the later movies and shows with Obi-Wan in it because the younger version fights much more dynamically.  However, if you watched SW Rebels to the end... *SPOILER???*

... you'll see his fighting style is much more similar to the Vader fight in ANH.  I think it was in the episode recap for that Dave Filoni said it was a conscious decision to make that fight in Rebels that way in order to show how his skill and style had evolved from young to old (and for continuity, of course).
    SumoLegolowlead
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 2,012
    That re-imagined scene it very well done and fun to watch. However, ANH will always just be what it is to me. The only time it's been truly disconcerting to me is when I did a direct watch of Rogue One right into ANH.
    lowleadSumoLego
  • sirrich69sirrich69 Member Posts: 516
    Never watched ANH, thanks for sharing. It was fun to watch, however  I cannot compare with Star Wars, the link is not there for me.
    lowleadSumoLego
  • todlertodler UK - South WestMember Posts: 113
    ANH is the most iconic (not the best) out of the original trilogy. Must admit other than my first viewing the most enjoyable was watching it at The Royal Albert Hall with the music played by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. It was fantastic, watching the film and then watching the orchestra. 
    lowleadSumoLego
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,392
    It is a quality reimagining of the scene. I haven't seen Grumpy Old Men for years but that's a funny comparison. 

I've often thought the campfire scene from Blazing Saddles should be inserted into Gone With The Wind,  to give it a more literal meaning.
    lowleadGothamConstructionCoSumoLego
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,347
    Been a fan of the scene 38 remix for a while and have passed on to as many fans of the films that I know (a couple on this very forum). 
    I'm old enough to have a strong affinity with the O/T but I don't have a problem with messing with it providing it's actually better than what went before and after seeing Rogue One, this would have been a perfect addition to the O/T as it showed perfectly why Vader had the reputation he did.
    lowleadMaffyDKungFuKennySumoLego
  • JRBricksJRBricks HoustonMember Posts: 55
    ANH is my favorite SW film and the most iconic, I’ll never forget the duel between Ben and Vader, the original as is! 
    560HeliportlowleadSeijiAmasawaSumoLego
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,060
    Honestly, I'm usually a fan of keeping things true to the original version :)
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 732
    Never seen that reimaging before. So I guess I can't say that I have.
    lowleadSumoLego
  • red237red237 Member Posts: 311
    Original/purist here…the kiddo has been made to watch the original side by side with whatever new layers they throw our way…..and in the spirit of both of your angles today…
    lowleadSumoLego
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 589
    I wasn't familiar with the reimagined scene before reading this thread.
    lowleadSumoLego
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 674
    The re-imagined version is a neat idea but I'm a purist and the original awkward flailing duel is fine.
  • arathemisarathemis RomaniaMember Posts: 478
    I'm just flabbergasted by how badly the troopers aim. At least hit something in 9-10 movies ffs
    lowleadSumoLego
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 1,079
    Very interesting.  I think I had heard about this a while ago, but never got around to seeing it.  I'm old-fashioned.  Keep it as originally intended.  Heck, I'm still looking for the theatrical cut of the original trilogy on blu-ray (although I have it on VHS)...
    lowleadSeijiAmasawaSumoLego
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 356
    Love the reimaging!  The original is great too.  Guess I would have to watch both versions back to back.
    lowleadSumoLego
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,382
    For a 70s child,1977 version is best, should be left alone imo, warts and all.
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 375
    I prefer to watch the way I first saw it in a theater back in 1977
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,736
    To be fair, these days I only tend to watch Star Whores: A New Hole, and Star Whores: The Emporer Strikes Crack.

Must be an age thing.
    lowleadSumoLego
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 2,078
    I haven't but sometimes I insert this from Family Guy 
    Family Guy Ship Maneuvers - YouTube 
    lowleadSumoLego
  • sonatine01sonatine01 Daventry, EnglandMember Posts: 782
    Never seen it before but love it ! Now off to watch the OT in all its original glory, if I can actually get my son into school….
    lowleadSumoLego
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 703
    I'm in the same boat as @Speedman29  -  FG all the way!
    lowleadSumoLego
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 949
    edited January 10
    I've been rewatching the SW films with my kids over Christmas. The interesting thing is how much of it they are familiar with through pop culture (which includes Lego SW sets and the Lego SW games, obviously), despite not actually having sat through the whole thing properly. 

Most heard comment from the little one; "where's Rey?"

edit: also for those in the UK I can thoroughly recommend "The Galaxy Britain Built" about the making of the films, back up on the old iPlayer
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000cdzt

MaffyDlowleadSumoLego
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen Somewhere behind all the boxes of LegoMember Posts: 467
    Not seen that before. Well made, but the pacing and intensity do not mesh with the rest of the film, whereas the original slower fight did.

Also from watching the main 9 films with younglings the slower pacing and scenes that are easy to understand work better. They much preferred the OT. PT was interesting but confusing. ST they just lost interest in. 
    lowlead560HeliportSumoLego
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,326
    Aha! That edit is awesome (I'm one of the forum members @bandit778 alluded to in his post).

I imagine it's rather like the new UCS Falcon versus the original UCS Falcon. I have the first, but not the second. I want the second but would not sell the first to fund buying the second. Like that.

But. The edit is 100% better than the original scene, with a modern aesthetic that detracts exactly zero from what the original was trying to do. It matches what we saw in TPM better and what we know force users can do in a lightsaber duel. It also adds extra value in the tight confines of some of the corridors, with the effects of sabers hitting walls etc.

I would definitely be ok with this version being the one we see in the film.

I'll never replace my Falcon though.

Thanks for running this @SumoLego and for providing the prizes @lowlead - now I'm off to donate.
    lowleadbandit778SumoLego
  • f2iso100f2iso100 United StatesMember Posts: 64
    I'd never seen the re-imagining either, although now I just want to watch the original again! 
    lowleadSumoLego
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 792
    edited January 10
    CCC said:

I've often thought the campfire scene from Blazing Saddles should be inserted into Gone With The Wind,  to give it a more literal meaning.
    The campfire scene from Blazing Saddles should be inserted into every movie.

Thank you once again for organising and for the wonderful prizes.
    lowleadbricktuarySumoLego
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk EnglandMember Posts: 818
    Was never a fan of the cgi remastering that George Lucas did back in the 90s as I much preferred the original edit, although I would accept that the effects were better in the remaster. So this kind of "retconning" of the OT doesn't appeal to me. Much the same as I disliked the Yoda fights in the PT - just didn't fit with my vision of Star  Wars.
    560HeliportlowleadSeijiAmasawaSumoLegoJ0rgen
  • ryderfanryderfan DFWMember Posts: 35
    At first, the tension that’s set up when they first meet and stare at each other was appreciated, but when they start fighting, the CGI overload just kills it for me. I’ll have to say “Nope.”
    560HeliportSeijiAmasawalowleadSumoLegoJ0rgen
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,857
    This is the first time I've seen this particular remake of this scene from ANH. However, not the first fan recreation of other scenes from throughout the movies I'm come across. Every time I see a new one I think, "If only..."

What I've come to accept regarding Star Wars is that they're all pretty terrible when over analyzed and critiqued. (Except Rogue One. It's pretty much perfect) But as a whole, it will continue to be one of the greatest sagas there is. 

Thanks for hosting, Sumo! And thank you for such a wonderful gift, Lowlead!
    560HeliportlowleadSumoLego
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,476
    WHAT HERESY IS THIS????!!!

I clicked on that first link and my heart sank.  Surely Lucas has done enough damage to the Holy Trinity as it is?  What on earth is this sacrilege?

I saw SW:ANH at the cinema in 1977 as a wide-eyed 10 year-old.  It is, and always will be the definitive version. It was bad enough when Lucas had enough time, enough money and nobody prepared to say 'No' to him, to go and mess around creating the special editions.  Sure, I bought them, 'cos, well, it's Star Wars, but whenever I see that fancy explosion as the Death Star goes kablooie, I think "That's not how it's supposed to be."  And don't get me started on Greedo shooting first.

So when I saw that I thought 'Is there another version out?  Some extended abomination that proves that Disney doesn't understand the meaning of "Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should."

I've no idea who created the above clip, or indeed how.  And I don't want to know.  I can admire the technical skill involved.

But now I'm going to try and forget I ever saw it.
    Switchfoot55560HeliportlowleadSumoLegoSeijiAmasawaJ0rgen
  • hmnicoll1hmnicoll1 UKMember Posts: 3
    That was definitely enjoyable to watch but I feel its best to just leave the films as they were, with the exception of touching up a few minor details here and there. 
    SeijiAmasawalowleadSumoLego
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,636
    I had seen it before. As a standalone thing - it's wonderful stuff. It's undeniably better and certainly more in keeping with what you'd expect Jedi abilities to be... but, I like the originals the way they should be (clumsy stormtroopers included) I'm not sure I even really like the special editions. I don't mind them existing, but I want to watch the film I remember from my childhood.

Thanks @SumoLego and @lowlead for this second swish of a lightsaber!
    KungFuKenny560HeliportSeijiAmasawalowleadSumoLego
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,367
    I am a purist as well, but that just probably means I’m old. That doesn’t mean I don’t love Robot Chicken and Family Guy as well though!

Thanks to @SumoLego and @lowlead !
    jmeninnoMr_Cross560HeliportSeijiAmasawalowleadGothamConstructionCoSumoLego
  • panchox1panchox1 The Outer RimMember Posts: 718
    Love the reimagined scene. but I have not watched ep 4 and inserted it. might have to give it a try. but like several others here, i'm a bit of a purist. 
    SeijiAmasawalowleadSumoLego
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 2,125
    Great additions to that scene! I downloaded the purest of the pure versions recently: 4K77. It doesn't even have "Episode IV" or "A New Hope" at the beginning. 

I never ever want to see Han walking over the tail of Jabba again or Vader whining at the end of Jedi when Luke is getting zapped.

That said, I love both the original and updated ewok songs at the end of Jedi. I never fail to get goosebumps at the final shot of the happy gang at the end, just before the music transitions into the SW theme. I always felt melancholy thinking it would be the last time we'd see Han, Luke and Leia all together. Little did I know that the sequel trilogy would confirm that it really was the last time we'd see them together.
    560HeliportSeijiAmasawalowleadMr_CrossmessySumoLegoJ0rgen
  • SeijiAmasawaSeijiAmasawa USMember Posts: 259
    No to new additions, updates or reimaginings - just the originals, please.
    560HeliportlowleadMr_CrossBooTheMightyHamsterSumoLegogmonkey76
  • WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 534
    I guess I don't understand this whole thing. There's a random drawing, but there's a Star Wars question, and what is BonusBall, is that some British thing? So much pressure, I feel lost and confused, but excited at the same time.
    lowleadSumoLegoKungFuKenny
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,783
    never saw the reimagined scene before. Thank you @SumoLego and @lowlead

lowleadSumoLego
  • messymessy CambridgeshireMember Posts: 251
    I only watch are the original theatrical version, the first time I saw the special edition it just felt wrong, probably because as kids we watched our vhs copy hundreds of times. It was recorded off ITV so had advert breaks, whenever I see Han and Chewie jumping through the blast doors I expect an ad for Colgate blue minty gel to start playing.
    lowleadbricktuarySumoLegoSeijiAmasawa
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 2,125
    messy said:
    whenever I see Han and Chewie jumping through the blast doors I expect an ad for Colgate blue minty gel to start playing.
    Was that Colgate Blue Minty Gel, Mum and Dad use it as well?
    messylowleadSumoLego