Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How do you pronounce the word "Ninjago"?

malachirobertsonmalachirobertson Indiana, USAMember Posts: 268
edited January 2012 in Everything else LEGO
Ok, perhaps this has already been asked and perhaps it is a silly question. Still, when my son and his friend were running around yesterday pretending to be characters from the Lego "Ninjago" line, the question came to my mind. Is there a particular or right way to pronounce the word "Ninjago"? My son's friend pronouced it like the words ninja and go. I have always read it as nin and jago, where my "ja" has more of a "j-ah" sound than the "j-uh" sound of the single word "ninja."

Thoughts?

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    If I'm reading your explanation correctly, I think you're right.

Nin-jar-go.
  • StevenAshbyStevenAshby Member Posts: 155
    Im pretty sure its Ninja Go. Thats how it was explained to me when it was released in wave 1 but that was when it was mainly the spinners game not the huge anount if sets it is now and was used as a term to start spinning :),
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    Thought it sounded like the name: Nin-Jah-Go
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    I think it's both. The land that they live in is Nin-jah-go. But when they fight they say Ninja-go!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,660
    The TV ads I've seen playing in the UK say Nin-jah-go.....
    ^ jah as in 'jar' of jam or jah as in how a young child would pronouce a 'j' ?
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,660
    'Jar'
  • tdhbrtdhbr Member Posts: 188
    I heard a Lego store employee recently tell someone that TLG intended it as "Ninja Go" but kids were all saying "nin JAH go," so TLG went with that.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I'm so confused :-S
  • intromissionintromission Member Posts: 197
    NEEEEN-juh-GHO
  • Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    I'd just pronunce it as if adding the two words together; ninja + go. How to pronounce "ninja" might be the question. But I'd pronounce it with a NE American accent.
  • dsdg88dsdg88 Member Posts: 133
    Perhaps the "jah" vs "jar" is the difference between US English and British English.

I was at Legoland this past summer and overheard some dad correct his son by saying it was "nin-JAY-go" :)

Similarly/tangentially, I overheard another dad explain to his son at the LEGO store that the star wars ship on display wasn't the super star destroyer as his son claimed but that the death star was the star destroyer since if was the ship that could destroy stars.

I've learned from my kids that they are often more up on pop culture than I am.
  • hewmanhewman Member Posts: 92
    sidersdd is correct. How do I know, watch the Ninjago cartoon. The city is Nin-jargo/Nin-jahgo (just a subtle difference between people on different continents), but when they go into battle it's "Ninja-Go!"
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    I'd be inclined to say "nin-JAH-go", with the emphasis on the "jah" part. Saying "ninja-go!" just sounds corny. :)
  • JP82JP82 Member Posts: 45
    Definitely Nin - JAR - go.
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    The commercials here put a slight emphasis on the 'jah' part.
    The first commercials that I saw here originally had them say 'jar' then it got changed to the 'jah' emphasis.
    I thought it was like a Power Rangers kinda' thing...Ninja GO! To avoid confusion Lego should've went with the tried and true battle-cry...SPOOOOOOOON!
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    I've spoken to a Lego designer who worked on the theme, and I'm sure he referred to it as Nin-JAR-go, ie stress on the 'jar'.
    edited January 2012
    ^^ I thought we were all agreed that in written form, 'jar' and 'jah' were pronounced the same - just depended on what side of the world you were stood when you said it.

Nin-jaR-go (pronounced with a capital R)
    or
    Nin-jah-go (like saying ahhh at the doctor's with a sore throat).

Lol. It's funny as adults we're discussing this. Any outsider would think we're mad! :o)
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    ^ oh I am so tempted to be a real language geek, dig out my uni notes on phonology and write all the options phonetically. But I won't :-)
  • OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    I think we can say it like Sensei Wu says it here:

• cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806
    ^ oh I am so tempted to be a real language geek, dig out my uni notes on phonology and write all the options phonetically. But I won't :-)
    Maybe you could do it for Legos what ever that is?? lol
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited January 2012
    I pronounce it as if it were created to be in the similar style of the word 'ninjitsu':
    nin-JAH-go
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    I pronounce it Nin-jar-jar-go. For the best Star Wars character ever. Not!
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ +1
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
    I thought it was an amalgamation of the words 'ninja' and 'Lego', pronounced 'nin-JAR-go'.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    How do they pronounce it in Danish?

This thread is ridiculous in a very fun way.

@LostInTranslation Please do.
  • eragon3443eragon3443 Guest Posts: 5
    ninja-go. Some say it Nin-jay-go.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    OK, this is completely off-topic but this thread reminded me of an old story my junior high social studies teacher used to tell.

Joe and Bill were driving through southern Illinois when they spotted a sign indicating that the town of Cairo was a few miles down the road. They got into an argument over how the town's name was pronounced. Joe, who was from the area, said that it was pronounced Kay-Ro while Bill insisted that it was pronounced the same as the Egyptian city from which it got its name, ie, Ki-Ro.

The argued back and forth as they neared the city and finally Bill said, "Fine, let's pull into the first place we see and have them settle this by telling us how they pronounce the name of their city."

So, when they entered town, they pulled into the parking lot of the first place they saw, got out of the car and entered the building. Bill and Joe approached the woman working there.

"Pardon me, but my friend and I are not from this city and are having a little disagreement. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you please tell us, very slowly and pronouncing each syllable clearly, how you say the name of this place?"

The woman looked at them for a moment, then slowly said, "Bur...Ger...King."
  • legomummolegomummo Member Posts: 1
    Firstly, without ever having heard it pronounced, only seeing the word printed, our family naturally pronounced it "ninja - go". Since seeing the videos, etc, we're now confused, because they say "nin-jar-go", which just sounds stupid. Could be that the Americans got hold of it and, as with so many "English" words, screwed it. Also, what's with the jah/jar thing in so many posts? What's the difference in the pronunciation of these two? Jah... jar....!? Same, yeah? BTW, as a family we're sticking with how it looks, "Ninja-go". It also captures the spirit of the theme... Ninja, GO!
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    I say it "Ninja-go". "Nin-ja-go" sounds weird but most kids in the LEGO asile pronounce it that way.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,232
    I once heard a hilarious argument in the LEGO aisle between two brothers on how to pronounce Bionicle. :o)

Bee- onicle!
    Buy-onicle!
    Bee-onicle!
    Buy-onicle!

As for the English language, I like to think we Americans just got rid of those superfluous u's and put the e's on the correct side of the r's. ;o)
  • RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    From what I have noticed in the cartoon, they use both pronunciations. Stress on the second syllable is used to describe the location (Nin-JAH-go City) and stress on the first syllable to describe the action (NIN-ja-GO!).

• MrKevinHinkleMrKevinHinkle Member Posts: 33
    The correct pronunciation of the theme is "Nin-Jah-Go." However, just as a few individuals pointed out, in the animated series the Ninja will yell out "Ninja Go!" when attacking and performing Spinjitzu.
    Aanchir
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,232
    Thanks Kevin!
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    Ok, perhaps this has already been asked ...
    Yes. Yes it has.
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/20358#Comment_20358

I thought we had discussed this before. I even used the same anecdote. Doh! ;o)

Thanks @bluemoose