Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

BendyBadger's Brickset BonusBall Bonanza - SumoLego @lowlead Edition! (Drawing 12/31/2021)

SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,868
edited December 2021 in Community and Events
Aloha Bricksetters... Happy Saturday/Christmas Day to Everyone in the Forum!

Because it is Christmas Day I have again returned to preside over another BonusBall.  I was surprised (but not really surprised) that the fantastic @lowlead has made available not one... but TWO (2) of the very exclusive #40483 Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber.

Because these are such sought-after prizes, we're going to run two (2) raffles: one today that'll run until December 31st; and we'll run a second super-awesome bonus raffle from January 1, 2022 through January 6, 2022.  

The drawing will not be run to coincide with the BonusBall, so the title is actually accurate only in spirit.  We want as many unique posts in thread as possible, so please avoid double posts - but EVERY unique post will be counted.  My lovely wife, who has no idea what any of this is - she'll draw the number from a random number generator.

If the prize isn't your thing, I do have a wide variety of extra sets, polys, figures and Lego-related whatnot in my inventory - and I'm happy to substitute the lightsaber for something of reasonable comparable value.  (And no, I'm not shipping a UCS Millennium Falcon to Ulaanbaatar or Dushanbe.)

Finally, I strongly urge everyone that enters to make a donation to FairyBricks.  If you happen to win the raffle, making a sizeable donation for FairyBricks would be even better.  If you don't the raffle, but still make a sizeable donation, that that makes you a Danish Prince.  (No it doesn't, but please consider making a donation nonetheless.

If you're new to the Forum, or not really familiar with what FairyBricks does, please check out their website.
https://www.fairybricks.org/

Direct Link for making donations:
https://www.paypal.com/uk/fundraiser/charity/66053

Back to the normal nonsense with the drawing... the question for your consideration:

My family just watched the 1984 version of '/A Christmas Carol'.  Aside from some cringeworthy practical effects, why do people think 'Die Hard' is a Christmas movie? 

@SumoLego's answer:  Ya'll crazy.  It's a heist movie that takes place at Christmas.  And to quote one Bruce Willis:
Die Hard is not a Christmas movie... it’s a goddamn Bruce Willis movie!”

Enjoy!  And Good Luck!
Mr_CrossVgangBumblepantsRenegade007cjhLobotSeijiAmasawaGothamConstructionCogmonkey76OnebricktoomanySirBenKungFuKennyjmeninnokiki180703560HeliportadiemcbricktuaryRedbullgivesuwindlowleadoldtodd33ReesesPiecesmessyAddicted2OxygenBooTheMightyHamsterSwitchfoot55datsunrobbiesipussstluxsnowhitieFireFox31pxchrisMaffyD

Comments

• ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 865
    OK, well, my answer: It isn't. Well, it doesn't seem like it. Not that I've seen it. Now for a very on brand answer to the prize. I wish LEGO would get R2 back in stock...Never owned a UCS, but he's my favorite SW character...
    OnebricktoomanyKungFuKennySumoLegolowlead
  • VgangVgang CyprusMember Posts: 80
    It’s a Christmas movie for a number of legit reasons:
    1. Takes place during a Christmas party
    2. There are Christmas decorations everywhere
    3. It’s all about the Christmas spirit!

Thank you for organizing Sumolego and merry Christmas to Everyone!
    gmonkey76OnebricktoomanyKungFuKenny560HeliportSumoLegolowleadmessydatsunrobbie
  • wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 523
    “Ho-ho-ho.  Now I have a gun” - written on Karl’s ’ brothers sweatshirt in the elevator.  Plus it seems to be on perpetual reruns on basic cable channels this week. Therefore, I submit that Die Hard is in fact a Christmas Movie!
    arathemisgmonkey76OnebricktoomanyKungFuKenny560HeliportSumoLegolowleadmessydatsunrobbie
  • arathemisarathemis RomaniaMember Posts: 458
    I consider Die Hard 2 being even more of a Christmas movie, with all the snow and the environment being a lot more wintery than the first movie. Also the ending (if i remember right) ends with a Christmas song, and yhe cop shreding the parking ticket saying "Hey, it's Christmas!" 
    OnebricktoomanyKungFuKenny560HeliportSumoLegolowleaddatsunrobbie
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,246
    I have never thought one way or the other about it. However, The Nightmare Before Christmas is definitely a Christmas movie...
    gratefulnatOnebricktoomanyKungFuKenny560HeliportSumoLegolowleaddatsunrobbie
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,240
    edited December 2021
    It feels Christmasy enough to me. In vaguely related news, I showed my kids Jingle All the Way last week so they could experience pre-internet capitalism. They didn't really care for it. But at least now I can yell 'Put that cookie down niooaawwwh!' at them and they get the reference.
    GothamConstructionCoarathemisOnebricktoomanyKungFuKenny560HeliportSumoLegolowleaddatsunrobbie
  • PhoenixioPhoenixio Canada/FranceMember Posts: 129
    By that logic, Harry Potter is also a Christmas movie because they get sweaters and exchange gifts in most of the books/movies.

Obviously people are only looking at superficial aspects of Die Hard.  You could change the date and it wouldn't change a damn thing about the movie, even less so its spirit.  It's clearly about a guy being trapped and dealing with terrorists heroically.  That's also the premise of all the other movies of the series to some extent, whereas Christmas isn't a focus at all.  If anything, they've made a joke of it but that's it.
    OnebricktoomanyKungFuKenny560HeliportSumoLegoMr_Crosslowleaddatsunrobbieoldtodd33snowhitie
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 679
    Best to do in my experience is surviving Xmas by watching both DH1, 2 ánd 3 in one sitting, preferable with some bites and nice beverages. Thát makes it (/them) xmasmovies!
    Renegade007cjhgratefulnatOnebricktoomanyKungFuKenny560HeliportSumoLegoMr_Crosslowleaddatsunrobbie
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 541
    If it makes people happy watching it at Christmas and calling it a Christmas movie that’s good enough for me. 

I do see it as a Christmas move for the above reason and hey, Christmas tree…..
    GothamConstructionCoRenegade007cjhOnebricktoomanyKungFuKenny560HeliportSumoLegoMr_Crosslowleaddatsunrobbie
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,375
    It's an age-old simple plot of John rushing to get home to his wife Holly before Xmas
    OnebricktoomanyKungFuKenny560Heliportgmonkey76SumoLegoMr_Crosslowleadmessydatsunrobbie
  • todlertodler UK - South WestMember Posts: 109
    It is an Xmas movie ad my wife says it is 
    OnebricktoomanyKungFuKenny560Heliportgmonkey76SumoLegoMr_Crosslowleaddatsunrobbie
  • red237red237 Member Posts: 311
    Definitely a Christmas movie in spirit as we were all previous sort of tired of the ones that were hapoening before it, so any reason to add to the seasonal watchlist, like Gremlins? But hey, Gremlins! Thanks SumoLego, we will donate!
    OnebricktoomanyKungFuKenny560Heliportgmonkey76SumoLegoMr_Crosslowleaddatsunrobbie
  • f2iso100f2iso100 United StatesMember Posts: 62
    It has Christmas lights in some scenes. I'm pretty sure that's all that's required to qualify as a "Christmas movie." FWIW, my family watched Christmas-related episodes last night of "The Simpsons," and those have tenuous connections to Christmas at best! 
    KungFuKenny560HeliportSumoLegoMr_Crosslowleaddatsunrobbie
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 336
    ^ I can’t stop laughing! Thank you for this!
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,340

How about this… Bruce Willis was in Moonrise Kingdom with Edward Norton. Edward Norton was in The Illusionist with Paul Giamatti. Paul Giamatti was in Fred Claus with Vince Vaughn, who was in  was in Four Christmases with Mary Steenburgen.  Finally, Mary Steenburgen was in Elf, which is as Christmasy a movie as one could ask for!

Onebricktoomany560HeliportBooTheMightyHamstergratefulnatgmonkey76SumoLegoMr_Crosslowleaddatsunrobbie
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 588
    Location, location, location!

At a Christmas party, at Christmas time, On the way to see family!
    OnebricktoomanyVgang560HeliportKungFuKennygmonkey76SumoLegolowleadmessydatsunrobbie
  • panchox1panchox1 The Outer RimMember Posts: 718
    Despite what some say, Die hard IS a Chirstmas movie through and through. It just oozes Christmas themeing from start to finish. Christmas time, Christmas setting, Christmas miracles, Christmas music! It's one of my faves. Unfortunately,  I haven't watched it yet this year. Maybe tonight!
    560HeliportKungFuKennygmonkey76SumoLegoMr_Crosslowleaddatsunrobbie
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,064
    My only knowledge of Die Hard comes from Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but from what I know, it is set at Christmas time and that is the only thing that is needed to confirm Die Hard is a Christmas movie!
    560HeliportKungFuKennygmonkey76SumoLegoMr_Crosslowleaddatsunrobbie
  • sonatine01sonatine01 Daventry, EnglandMember Posts: 770
    For the purposes of this raffle it’s a Christmas film as it’s set at Christmas but in my mind it’s defo not a Christmas film and I’m sticking to Elf, Arthur Christmas, Scrooged and A Muppets Christmas Carol as my Christmas viewing !
    560HeliportKungFuKennySumoLegoMr_Crosslowlead
  • Lo1sJessLo1sJess Alexandria, VirginiaMember Posts: 191
    A Christmas film and ensconced tradition now.  Ups the action for a break from Rudolph and Frosty.  Love the comments!
  • kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,207
    Yes.
    KungFuKennyGothamConstructionCoSumoLegolowlead560Heliportjmeninnomessydatsunrobbie
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 379
    I don't care one way or the other, but I did enjoy the movie. Honestly, Christmas themed? nope, no-way, uh-uh!
    But this is a great thread, and Fairybricks is an amazing charity organization!
    KungFuKennySumoLegoMr_Crosslowlead560Heliportdatsunrobbiesnowhitie
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 938
    Die Hard is quite obviously a Christmas film, because if it wasn't for Christmas John wouldn't even be there.  The whole point is that he's gone home for Christmas, thus Christmas is essential to the plot. 

Also, his wife is called HOLLY. QED.

Home Alone however could feasibly take place any time of the year that a large family goes away on holiday. Thanksgiving. Summer. A wedding. So if Die Hard somehow isn't a Christmas film then you have to also accept that Home Alone isn't. 
    gmonkey76SumoLegoMr_CrosslowleadKungFuKenny560Heliportdatsunrobbiestluxsnowhitie
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 740
    edited December 2021
    Die Hard is definitely a Christmas Movie…and a favourite of mine.

it’s is set during the festive period and it repeatedly is shown at Christmas time….how can it NOT be a Christmas movie???

Oh and of course ‘Santa’ makes an appearance…well…sort of.
    Mr_CrossSumoLegolowleadKungFuKenny560Heliportmessydatsunrobbiekiki180703
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,595
    I've only seen the DH trilogy once. I can't recall the details and everything I do remember has been forever surplanted by the scene in the TLM2 "I spend a lot of time in air ducts. I-I definitely don't live up here... I have a home."

Honestly, if you watch DH at Christmas and you enjoy it, that's all it needs to be a Christmas film. Enjoy it with whatever seasonal beverage and snack you so desire - job done :-)

Many thanks to @lowlead and @SumoLego, a high-five to Fairy-Bricks for the awesome work they do and very many merry festive whatnots to @everyone!
    Renegade007cjhSumoLegolowleadKungFuKenny560HeliportmessyGothamConstructionCodatsunrobbiekiki180703
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 2,040
    Ah that is easy to answer. Because the internet says so and the internet is never wrong. Always believe what you read on there.
    SumoLegolowleadKungFuKenny560HeliportMr_Crossdatsunrobbiekiki180703
  • ryderfanryderfan DFWMember Posts: 34
    It IS a Christmas movie, although one with a body count. 
    SumoLegolowleadKungFuKenny560HeliportMr_CrossGothamConstructionCodatsunrobbiekiki180703
  • vanvonfullvanvonfull washingtonMember Posts: 201
    Definitely a Christmas movie. But I count some of the Harry potters as Christmas movies so…
    Mr_Cross560HeliportlowleadKungFuKennySumoLegodatsunrobbiekiki180703
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 1,057
    If the man himself says it's not, who are we to argue.  Greatest action mover that takes place on Cristmas, ever!
    560HeliportlowleadKungFuKennySumoLegoGothamConstructionCodatsunrobbiekiki180703
  • ravendragonwingravendragonwing Member Posts: 186
    Die Hard a Christmas movie? Well, technically no. It is not about "Christmas", however, it does take place at Christmas time, so I guess it could be a Christmas movie.....
    560HeliportlowleadSumoLegodatsunrobbie
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 1,024
    I'm not sure I ever thought of Die Hard as a Christmas movie years ago, but once I heard the now infamous question ("Is it, or isn't it?"), I'd have to say it is...

...up to personal interpretation.

Mine is...it is.  For the many aforementioned reasons.  Not that I'm trying to steal anyone's thunder, but I don't want to re-hash the deets (time of year/party/snow, etc.).
    Mr_Cross560HeliportlowleadKungFuKennySumoLegodatsunrobbie
  • messymessy CambridgeshireMember Posts: 251
    Yippie-ki-yay, it's a Christmas film!
    Mr_Cross560HeliportlowleadKungFuKennySumoLegoGothamConstructionCodatsunrobbiepanchox1kiki180703
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,616
    Die Hard = A Christmas film. 

560HeliportlowleadKungFuKennySumoLegoGothamConstructionCodatsunrobbiekiki180703
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen Somewhere behind all the boxes of LegoMember Posts: 467
    It is not a movie about Christmas but it is a movie set at Christmas (eve), which is integral to the plot. 

I think a lot of the controversy comes around it being released in July in the USA, but for most of the rest of the world it was released much later during Autumn and Winter, making it more naturally seem like a Christmas movie. 

For me it is a movie I would watch at anytime during the year, but most likely at Christmas as I tend to have the time to see it
    560HeliportlowleadKungFuKennySumoLegodatsunrobbie
  • JRBricksJRBricks HoustonMember Posts: 49
    Yup Christmas movie. The song to wrap it up seals it. Let it snow, let it snow...
    560HeliportdatsunrobbieSumoLegoAddicted2OxygenlowleadKungFuKennykiki180703
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,644
    Avoiding going into all of the details of an over hour long debate I just had with a coworker last week on this very topic, the answer clearly is, YES. 

Much like the Home Alone movies, Die Hard can be enjoyed at any point during the year, but especially during the Holiday season. I'm not busting out Elf or White Christmas in August. But I'll gladly sit down and watch Die Hard!

Thanks for hosting, Sumo. And thank you so much for your generosity, Lowlead!
    560HeliportdatsunrobbieSumoLegoMr_CrosslowleadKungFuKennyRenegade007cjhkiki180703
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,754
    The director and screenwriter both say it is a Christmas movie, in addition to the reasons already posted.

Thank you for hosting, @SumoLego!

SumoLegoAddicted2OxygenlowleadKungFuKennygmonkey76Renegade007cjhkiki180703