Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Collectible Minifigs vs. Sets

jb15jb15 Member Posts: 53
edited May 2011 in Everything else LEGO
I'm having quite a struggle right now, and I thought there might be others out there with the same problem as me (and that maybe we could help each other out).

I have a limited LEGO budget. That is, I have about $0. Yep, zero. If I wanted, I could sell my Imperial Flagship (from 1992) for about $50 on eBay. I could then buy a complete set series 3 or 4 collectible minifigures (on eBay). Or, I could buy the upcoming Naboo Starfighter, or other set. Or, I could get the Geonosian Fighter, and some collectible minifigs.

I'm getting busier as time goes on--and I'm only going to get more busy--so that means my LEGO life is mostly picking up some pieces, and messing around with them for, say, 5 minutes today, 15 minutes day after tomorrow, (maybe about an hour a week).

So: Do I get minifigs? Or sets? Or a combo? I am into "swooshability" and "customization/rebuilding" but the minifigs are SOOOO cool! I so dislike this internal conflict! :)

Comments

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    I would much prefer to have 6271 Imperial Flagship than any of the alternatives you mention, although I think I could understand if you're bored of it and want something different and new.
  • jb15jb15 Member Posts: 53
    It's just the sailor is cool--and the musketeer--and the (upcoming) british guy--and... anway, the main thing I keep thinking is: This may be the only sailor LEGO makes--when are the going to release a musketeer again? Maybe never. If so, I should get the minifigs while there in production--and not pay 2x as the current prices.

But, every time I go to sell the Flagship, I just can't do it.
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    I understand the feeling of having a $0 budget. I go for the Minifigs, because, I can pick up one or two every month, and eventually collect them.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    You wouldn't by any chance be.... not at least 16 years old?
    Just kidding. Yea don't sell that imperial flagship, but if for some reason you did, do it for more than 50, I'm sure at auction it would fetch somewhere from 60-80.
    And the minifigs are only 3 bucks, I mean, you cant dig through your couch and come up with 3 bucks? I'm with Eric, collect one or two here and there and work up to getting the whole collection, or don't get the whole collection, just get the ones you like. But I'd go for the figs since they will be out of production sooner than any set out there.
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    I'd wager that Collectible Minifigures are much more easy to come by than the Imperial Flagship. I wouldn't recommend getting rid of it when you can buy CMFs in the aftermarket for reasonable prices - especially the higher number series. Series 1 and 2 are more rare due to the lower production runs, but the sailor, muskateer and beefeater will all be more readily available when you have the spare change to purchase them. It may cost a little more in the long run to buy them (and I mean at most a dollar or two each) but you'll have them, AND the Imperial Flagship.
  • bahnstormerbahnstormer Member Posts: 180
    coldstream guard, not a beefeater ;-)
  • jb15jb15 Member Posts: 53
    Good thoughts guys--I guess I'll hold onto the ship for now. Of course, in 5 minutes I might change my mind--but in 10 it'll probably be back.

BTW, what makes you think I'm young? The rex picture?
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Your name makes me suspect your 15. The fact that you don't have a dime to your name makes me think your 12...
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    I'm going to close this topic as it has pretty much run it's course, not that it had far to go.
This discussion has been closed.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.