Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General VIDIYO Discussion

Comments

• WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 407
    Brickseek thinks that two nearby Walmarts have them in stock now. Curious that they have them before the local brand store.
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,927
    I was at my Walmart yesterday - no series 2 Bandmates to be found. 

But I did find #60310 which I was wanting along with some Marvel CMF's so I could get an extra gator Loki.
  • ryderfanryderfan DFWMember Posts: 35
    Brickseek thinks that two nearby Walmarts have them in stock now. Curious that they have them before the local brand store.
    I had a LEGO store employee tell me two months ago that the brand stores would not receive Series 2 Bandmates, and that they would only be available at Walmart 
    560HeliportWesterBricks
  • PhoenixioPhoenixio Canada/FranceMember Posts: 144
    pxchris said:
    I was at my Walmart yesterday - no series 2 Bandmates to be found. 

But I did find #60310 which I was wanting along with some Marvel CMF's so I could get an extra gator Loki.

Funny, I've been looking for that set as well, and Walmart, Toys R Us, and other stores nearby end up with a disparate selection of Stunts, but none of them got that one.  All the other solo bikers are accounted for though.
    Yep, this was the first time I've seen that one too @Phoenixio. Just like you, I've seen all the others around at stores except this one but maybe it was just coming out in a bit of a second shipment wave or something??
    Maybe, but there's been Demolition Man and Rocket Racers for months already.  I just started seeing the Wheelie girl and the Selfie guy, so I thought the Chicken man was part of that second wave too.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 3,081
    I got Chicken Racer at the LEGO store a couple of weeks ago. There were only a few compared to the others, so maybe it's just selling a lot better?
    Onebricktoomany
  • sipusssipuss PolandMember Posts: 144
    Looking at their set numbers, they are clearly separated into two (60296-60298 and 60309-60311). Then again, Demolition and Rocket are the only ones I've seen so far, and the other ones (including #60296 which would be the same "wave") are still "Coming Soon" on LEGO website (and at some point were available for preoder at Amazon with January release date).
    Onebricktoomany
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,266
    I got the chicken bike in the San Francisco store a few weeks ago. They had just gotten them in.
    Onebricktoomany
    I stopped in one of my Walmarts that has the new BandMates in stock in theory, and they were nowhere to be found. There were dozens of skids of toys waiting to be unpacked, I think they were out there. I’ll check back in a day or two.
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 648
    After someone else reported finding the Series 2 Bandmates in their Walmart I headed back to my local store the other day.  They had moved the Holiday stocking stuffer display to a different location in the store.  I found the Bandmates buried under the Marvel CMF's in the display.  I grabbed all 15 boxes hoping to get a complete set.  I was successful.  Too bad the 3 I got doubles of weren't ones I would have wanted a second copy of.  I also managed to complete my Harry Potter Chocolate Frog Card collection by going through all the Hermione Polybags.
    Russell844560Heliportgmonkey76WesterBrickspxchriscanon03Pumpkin_3CK5Onebricktoomany
    edited December 2021
    @karrit I owe you one, that was a perfect description. My closest store had precisely 15 of them buried under Marvel CMFs, in the blue stocking stuffers outside the toy department. Here’s hoping I got a complete set.
    karritPumpkin_3CK5Onebricktoomany

Success! There were three different duplicates.
    gmonkey76FizyxkarritWookie2pxchrisstluxOnebricktoomany
    No chance for bandmates in the other Walmart I visited today, but they ended up having the Chicken Stunt Bike unlike other nearby stores.  And since I had just come out of the dentist's office, I deserved it?
    WesterBrickskarritpxchrisgmonkey76560HeliportPumpkin_3CK5stluxOnebricktoomany
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 806
    edited December 2021

Decided to go on an adventure to the nearest Walmart after @karrit and @WesterBricks found some and bam they had 12 mixed in with random polybags and minifigs. Only missing swamp jelly monster(got vampire bassist ftw). I did get Chicken Stunt Bike dude and with how many times he's mentioned in this thread he is now part of the group. Rofl
    WesterBrickspxchrisPhoenixiokarritOnebricktoomany560Heliport
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 806
    Vidiyo Vampires feat. Marceline and DJ Zane

560HeliportBumblepantsstluxWesterBrickspxchrisOnebricktoomany
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,708
    The Candy kids were touring the north pole yesterday.

stluxWesterBricks560HeliportpxchrisCymbelineThe_Rancorgmonkey76
  • vanvonfullvanvonfull washingtonMember Posts: 209
    I picked up 14 of the bandmates and 6 of them were the slime singer… not too pleased. I’ll try to work out some trades later I guess. 
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,092
    edited December 2021
    I picked up 14 of the bandmates and 6 of them were the slime singer… not too pleased. I’ll try to work out some trades later I guess. 
    Where did you purchase them at?  Which ones are you missing?
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 348
    @karrit & @WesterBricks!!  Thanks for the info.  As you can see below I found them right where you said they’d be!

WesterBrickskarritPumpkin_3CK5vanvonfull
    I'm glad my tip is helping people find them.  This display has now totally disappeared from my local Walmart.  Unless they moved it into the Christmas decoration area now which is being taken over by some toys & other holiday stuff.
    Onebricktoomany
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 348
    Oops... just read a few pages back in this thread.  Shout out to @gmonkey76 also!
    gmonkey76
    @karrit & @WesterBricks!!  Thanks for the info.  As you can see below I found them right where you said they’d be!

I found the same display at a nearby Walmart. There were 13, so I bought them all. I got two each of DJ Captain and Carnival Dancer, one of each of the rest, except no Dragon Guitarist.
    karritPumpkin_3CK5
    I think that if LEGO had released the stages first, then the BandMates, and Beatboxes at $15 instead of $20, the whole line would have done quite well.
    gmonkey76
    I found six at a Walmart today, and I only got one I needed. Anyone want to trade?

I need:
    Discowgirl Guitarist
    DJ Rasp-Beary
    Karaoke Mermaid
    DJ Captain x2
    DJ Beatbox
    Vampire Bassist x2

I have to trade:
    Puppy Singer x2
    Carnival Dancer x2
    Alien Dancer
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 2,057
    edited December 2021
    karrit said:
    I grabbed all 15 boxes hoping to get a complete set.  I was successful.  Too bad the 3 I got doubles of weren't ones I would have wanted a second copy of.
    I'd consider getting a full set when buying just 15 to be a small miracle (unless you were able to snag an entire side of an unopened box)! So I wouldn't feel too sorry for yourself that your spares weren't the ones you wanted. Case in point... see @vanvonfull above who ended up with six of the same one in a batch of 14!
    560HeliportWesterBrickskarritPhoenixioOnebricktoomany
    ^ Yes, I was quite pleased to get 11 different out of 13! Much better than I was expecting.
    WesterBricksPumpkin_3CK5Onebricktoomany
    karrit said:
    I grabbed all 15 boxes hoping to get a complete set.  I was successful.  Too bad the 3 I got doubles of weren't ones I would have wanted a second copy of.
    I'd consider getting a full set when buying just 15 to be a small miracle (unless you were able to snag an entire side of an unopened box)! So I wouldn't feel too sorry for yourself that your spares weren't the ones you wanted. Case in point... see @vanvonfull above who ended up with six of the same one in a batch of 14!
    Believe me , I was actually quite thrilled that I managed to get the entire set.  I was sweating it out right through to the last box.  I'm sorry for @vanvonfull who ended up with 6 of that ugly Slime Monster.  While I would have much preferred extras of the DJ Captain and Dragon Guitarist at least my doubles were decent ones, Disco Cowgirl, Vampire Bassist & DJ Beatbox.  I did have two figures that didn't get the usual spare microphones.  I don't know if that's normal since the other figures with mic's did come with spares.
    Onebricktoomany
    Received my last four in the mail, and the series is now complete.  And what a series too.  I got a few of the Stuntz bike earlier in the day, and comparing the quality gives a clear winner in Vidiyo.  So many new original pieces, superb printings too.  It's a shame people couldn't look at the content and got stuck on the app.  Still haven't touched the thing, get off your phones people! :P
    560HeliportWesterBricksFizyxgmonkey76pxchrisOnebricktoomany
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,481
    While the app was a big part of a problem with the theme the bigger issue it had was terrible price points when compared to other offerings. The beat boxes were the worst offenders especially when they were on shelves next to similar looking Friends play cubes (or whatever they were called) that were half the price and had more obvious playability without the need for an app.

it’ll be interesting to see what exactly happens with Vidiyo after the “break” that LEGO stated the theme was taking, will the retooling of the theme be focused on changing the app or working on the playability of the lower priced sets without the app? Maybe it’ll just be a way to quietly shelve the theme indefinitely….
    BumblepantsWesterBricks
    Shib said:
    While the app was a big part of a problem with the theme the bigger issue it had was terrible price points when compared to other offerings. The beat boxes were the worst offenders...
    The beat boxes were the ONLY offenders.  The stages were really good in term of prices, and the Bandmates were the same as all other CMF series out there, because they were CMF...

So while I understand the series not starting out all that great, there were no reasons not to get in with the bandmates, and later the stages.  I certainly wish they had released some stages first, but it doesn't explain why people turned such a blind eye to that second wave.  Other series also have preposterous pricing: look at some of the Stuntz sets, or most of the IP-based series who always have a set here and there that's preposterously priced.  And yet there's never that level of hate.
    560HeliportThe_Rancor
  • sipusssipuss PolandMember Posts: 144
    edited December 2021
    Bandmates came in boxes that made it impossible to "feel" for specific figs, making them worse than usual CMFs. Stages indeed are pretty great, but I'm guessing they were mostly ignored because of the abysmal first wave of beatboxes leaving a bad taste.
    As for other themes, they aren't hated as much because, as you mentioned, the preposterously priced sets are a minority, not a majority like for Vidiyo.
    560HeliportWesterBricks
    I don't think that the Beat Boxes were the only offenders when it comes to pricing, but they were definitely the worst of them. I do think that some of the stages were a bit overpriced as well. The Bandmates... as much as it's hard to justify even the $5 for a single figure, it's at least an understandable pricing model in comparison.

But the problems extended beyond the pricing (and I won't even bring up the app, since that really has no impact for the majority of AFOLs). The cardboard boxes were definitely one of those issues, and in my opinion it's a pretty big one. If they're not going to give us some sort of methodology for identifying figures, all they're doing by removing the opportunity to feel for them is upsetting a large segment of the fan base. I also definitely agree that the order of releases was very problematic for the theme. The stages absolutely needed to come out at the beginning of the release.
    560HeliportShib
    edited December 2021
    Another point could be that regardless of how good the stages may or may not have eventually been, every single set was a stage (albeit a transforming one). How many stages does the average kid want? One? Two? Probably not 5. Friends had a pop star range, but IIRC, there was only one stage.

Plus the stages are arguably incomplete unless you decide to roll the dice and start purchasing blind boxes on the off-chance you may get to complete it without wasting too much money on duplicate figures.

And for those people that were lured in by the app, it was a pretty painful experience.

So a lot of the valid points already mentioned (blind bags, overpriced, crap app,
    all sets too late and too similar) combined into a perfect storm which pretty much guaranteed the theme's underperformance.
    560Heliportgmonkey76
    Another issue I had with the Bandmates as a whole was the accessories. With CMF's you're often getting unique and highly desirable accessories with almost every minifigure - which helps to offset the pain of the $5 price point at least a tiny bit. With the Bandmates, there was an excessive number of them with just a microphone accessory or a 2x2 printed round tile accessory. Even outside of those, it was a pretty limited range. I understand that the theme is bands/music, but that's a LOT of the same type of accessory. This is just going to limit the appeal to an extent. 
    Like the point about the stages from @Brainslugged, what kid is going to want a half dozen singers with microphones?
    ShibBumblepants
    Plus the stages are arguably incomplete unless you decide to roll the dice and start purchasing blind boxes on the off-chance you may get to complete it without wasting too much money on duplicate figures.
    I feel this statement deeply. I love the Punk Pirate band theme - but it would have driven me absolutely nuts if I hadn't been able to get that last Bandmate I needed to "complete" it. The blind boxes were an absolute nightmare of a failure for the line.
    Bumblepants
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,481
    Phoenixio said:
    Shib said:
    While the app was a big part of a problem with the theme the bigger issue it had was terrible price points when compared to other offerings. The beat boxes were the worst offenders...
    The beat boxes were the ONLY offenders.  The stages were really good in term of prices, and the Bandmates were the same as all other CMF series out there, because they were CMF...

So while I understand the series not starting out all that great, there were no reasons not to get in with the bandmates, and later the stages.  I certainly wish they had released some stages first, but it doesn't explain why people turned such a blind eye to that second wave.  Other series also have preposterous pricing: look at some of the Stuntz sets, or most of the IP-based series who always have a set here and there that's preposterously priced.  And yet there's never that level of hate.
    There are regional issues here too - in the UK the band mates were actually more expensive than CMFs, only by 50p but it’s enough to make you think twice when they are next to each other on the shelves. While the band mates might have had more parts most of that was due to the beatbits, which I’ll admit I like some of, aren’t anywhere near as enticing as a decent new accessory part.

I agree this isn’t the only theme to have eyebrow raising prices but with something like Stuntz the bikes are more akin to a standalone toy and would require far more design and engineering than Vidiyo.

Don't get me wrong, I don’t hate Vidiyo, and my initial response was far more about the failures of the theme being far more than just “people complaining about the app.” Honestly I frequently defend some of the less popular themes that AFOLs hate on without considering the target audience but with Vidiyo it really does feel like the negatives go far beyond just AFOL complaints as should be evident from LEGO deciding to pull the theme even if it’s only temporary.
    Phoenixio
  • luvendrawluvendraw Sweating under the stage lights in MN, USAMember Posts: 8
    So I decided to cancel my Entertainment Earth preorder when I saw the Walmart stores in my area had the figures in stock. Out 14 boxes I picked up, I managed to get 10 unique characters, which I am very pleased about.

So the repeats I have are:

1 x Discowgirl Guitarist
    1 x DJ Rasp-Beary
    1 x Puppy singer
    1 x Slime Singer

The two I still need are:

1 x Alien Dancer
    1 x DJ Beatbox

I'll probably just wait for Walmart to get a bit more stock before trying again and hoping for the best. 

• 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,092
    luvendraw said:
    So I decided to cancel my Entertainment Earth preorder when I saw the Walmart stores in my area had the figures in stock. Out 14 boxes I picked up, I managed to get 10 unique characters, which I am very pleased about.

So the repeats I have are:

1 x Discowgirl Guitarist
    1 x DJ Rasp-Beary
    1 x Puppy singer
    1 x Slime Singer

The two I still need are:

1 x Alien Dancer
    1 x DJ Beatbox

I'll probably just wait for Walmart to get a bit more stock before trying again and hoping for the best. 

I don't think Walmart is not getting anymore than what they originally received.  The Walmarts around me only received 15 boxes.  
    gmonkey76
  • luvendrawluvendraw Sweating under the stage lights in MN, USAMember Posts: 8
    1265 said:
    I don't think Walmart is not getting anymore than what they originally received.  The Walmarts around me only received 15 boxes.  
    Yeah, seems you are right. I talked to the attendant at the store that had them, and she said it was a discontinued item. Thankfully I found the two I was missing on Ebay for a decent price. 
    1265Fizyx
  • NicksBricksNicksBricks United StatesMember Posts: 289
    Looks like Entertainment Earth is sending out cancellation emails.
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 858
    Looks like Entertainment Earth is sending out cancellation emails.
    Yup. Got mine. Thankfully I was able to get a compete set from several different Walmarts nearby. Had to make a road trip, but worth it!
    I just had something incredibly annoying happen. I spent a long time selecting a bunch of different parts from Bricks n Pieces. I'd only wanted a few items, but as usual, one thing led to another so after an hour I had maybe 30 different types of part totalling £75.

Free postage doesn't kick in for B&P unless you also chuck in a regular order as well. So I just sorted the Lego website from cheapest to most expensive so I could just add a polybag or something for a few quid (that would be subsidised to the tune of £2 - the postage I'd be saving on the B&P order).

I ended up adding a Vidiyo Series 2 Bandmate - a marginal cost of just £2 and submitted my order with no problems.

That was yesterday, but today I had an email from Lego cancelling my entire order because I'd exceeded my limit on the Bandmates - I guess because I'd ordered 20 when they were first released.

So now I need to build my B&P order again from scratch. :(
    560HeliportCymbelineThe_Rancormsanders
  • iwybsiwybs PlutoMember Posts: 270
    Walmart and Target on Pluto are still trying to unload Vidiyo Beatboxes, some for $12 and some for $16.  They're not having much luck - nobody's going to travel 39 AU just for a Beatbox.
    560HeliportBumblepantsWesterBricks
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 1,017
    Managed to pick up a number of sets now that places are clearing their stock - around 75% off for most of the sets. Definitely worth it for the parts that will be nicely used in my MOCs! 
    My friend's Entertainment Earth order was also cancelled.
    I'll admit, I have not taken enough time to appreciate how cool all of the printing is on these beat bits. It's cool seeing them all together like that!
    The_Rancoriwybs
    I've been meaning to check if I have them all myself.

I quite like the Horror-themed ones.  They look so much like real album covers.
    msandersgmonkey76
    They'd also make good comic books.
    pxchrisPhoenixiomsandersgmonkey76