Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Obtaining retired sets directly from TLG

Hello all. I'm a member of Brickset for about two years, but this is my very first post in the forums. Having said that, I'd like to hear your opinions about a specific topic. A while ago, a relative of mine said that I can buy replicas of retired sets from The Lego Group. I contacted Lego Customer Service two days ago, but I couldn't get a satisfying answer from them. Was he wrong about it or does TLG really manufactures one-off copies of the old sets? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,535
    Pretty sure he's wrong...

Though they have re-released vintage sets in the past (under the Legends banner) and more recently re-released 'modern' sets, albeit slightly retooled (Taj Mahal, Ideas Ship in a bottle amongst others).

Most recently they have released some alternate coloured versions of recent sets as a trial run (Creator Fiat, Creator 3-in-1 Dinosaur). Perhaps this is what your friend was referring to?

If you're looking to buy sealed copies of old sets try bricklink.com or the marketplace on this forum. 
    gmonkey76madforLEGOkiki180703
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,175
    I'm afraid he's wrong. LEGO don't sell copies or replicas of retired sets. He may have been meaning other (usually Chinese) companies which rip-off LEGO's IP and design, but these are usually of worse quality, and buying them supports bad companies.
    andheKungFuKennygmonkey76madforLEGOkiki180703
  • lowleadlowlead Downeast, USAMember Posts: 338
    edited November 2021
    ...nevermind, two 'wrongs' is plenty.
    andhe560HeliportCymbelinegmonkey76kiki180703
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,010
    You can buy retired sets on the LEGO-owned Bricklink. But not replicas, they are the real thing.

gmonkey76
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 945
    Some apparently believe that the latest survey suggests this may become a thing for members of a paid subscription membership. It's a stretch imo but I've read that some large-scale re-sellers are dumping their sets on the strength of the suggestion. I have no idea how much there is in this, nor do I really have an opinion to be honest, but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone wants to read into it any further.
    andhe
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,175
    Unlikely to happen, to to specific elements being retired etc - e.g. in Cafe Corner.
    gmonkey76
  • lowleadlowlead Downeast, USAMember Posts: 338
    edited November 2021
    ^^ Or a clever disinformation tactic to cut re-sellers off at the knees, I suppose.  Part II after purchasing Bricklink?  Who knows...but it is a multi-billion dollar industry...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,010
    Unlikely to happen, to to specific elements being retired etc - e.g. in Cafe Corner.
    Plus some other high valued sets are licensed and LEGO no longer makes sets under that license. And are they really going to start printing minifigs with 15 year old designs when there are modern versions of the same figure... I doubt it.

I took that bit of the survey to mean access to things like the VIP store vignette set might be available, or perhaps an equivalent to the monthly build sets they used to do. A smallish set every month as a subscription. I didn't take it to mean you could get an Emerald Night, or Imperial Flagship, all the modulars, or the original Classic Castle. And definitely not 10 year old Star Wars, POTC, LOTR, etc sets.
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 945
    edited November 2021
    Perhaps they're planning to fulfil via Bricklink?

They sell a few sets a day, automate a weekly BL wish list for the parts they can't currently source themselves, then have people sorting to drop pieces in polybags inside generic white boxes with photos on the front, charging a hefty premium.

Nostalgia is a powerful wallet-opener, though I agree licensing would be an issue. But if they did it under the Bricklink banner rather than Lego, it's not impossible. Bricklinking but with Lego's customer service?

It's not likely is it? But I would never have guessed Lego would have their eye on BL and that still happened.
    andhe
  • ShropshireShropshire UKMember Posts: 594
    I can see more sets enabling some customisation - there's a pilot for that where you can specify from a range of options.. and I could see occasional re-release of old sets - potentially similar to the Bricklink Designer i.e. short run 10k max.. but having all old sets generally available for purchase under a programme even a subscription based one I just don't see at all.. it would kill Bricklink stone cold dead, it would mean massively increasing parts inventory/production in terms of breadth of elements/colours which as we remember was the near undoing of TLG in the past. And I don't think it could apply for licenced... i.e. release/licence it usually timebound / aligned to specific events/film etc.

Perhaps in a galaxy far away 3D printed future world there's the ability to buy a set that's 90% current standard parts with 10% 3D printed on demand could be an option.. but would they want the hassle when they're already thriving financially - I just don't see it.
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 660
    edited November 2021
    The Bricklink Designer program sets are limited to current production elements only.  There's no way TLG is going to commission expensive molds for limited runs.  The return has to outweigh the cost.  That basic business 101. 

3D printing does not match the quality of Lego elements that are injection molded.  Not gonna happen.
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76