Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Unpopular LEGO Opinions

Comments

• daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 706
    Yeah, when people ask about Lego as a hobby I tell them the truth - it can be a very expensive one.  That being said, there are a lot of hobbies out there that are much more expensive than Lego, so again, everyone should do what they enjoy...and I guess afford.  :D
    560HeliportiwybsBrickchapAstrobricks
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,180
    SumoLego said:
    I'm looking forward to football season - as that is when I can sort CMFs.

(Marvel CMFs and my Darksaber arrived this weekend.  My 12 year-old self was quite pleased.)
    I get a couple NFL games each week here in Bulgaria now so I am about to watch your Bills because that is what will be on. Will be really weird without ads for beer and trucks and ED medication though.
    So they miss out the best bits ...?
    KungFuKennyBumblepants
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 599
    I just had someone ask me on another forum why I would buy only 11 out of the 12 Marvel CMF's when I wanted most of the collection.  I replied that if I ended up with all 12 after buying two of the 6 pack boxes I would have been ok with it but I don't plan to make any effort to find the one figure that is of no interest to me.  Since my two boxes contained the exact same 6 figures I still need to search for the 5 I'm missing that I want.  I don't need to have everything since I'm not a completionist.  I buy what I want and sometimes I buy sets I don't really want if I find a great deal just for the parts.
    WesterBricks560HeliportiwybsLego_Lord_Mayorca
  • WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 359
    I really don’t care about the minifigures in most sets. I’m far more interested in the buildings and vehicles, but I understand they need people to populate them and drive them.

On the other hand, I have a special wall display for minifigs I greatly care about, mainly due to nostalgia.
    pxchrisCharmiefcbIstokg
  • MapleleafbricksMapleleafbricks CanadaMember Posts: 5
    I love to go to the Lego store in my home town and hit up the B.A.M. I like to spend hours creating the perfect minifigures to populate my town. So when i go and buy a new set i look at the minifigures first to determine my interest. 
    Cymbeline
  • PhoenixioPhoenixio Canada/FranceMember Posts: 129
    lowlead said:
     "LEGO, how do you expect me to afford all this??"  Accompanied by angry posts.

Not that it's even close to what you were saying yourself, but that general statement is really weird to me.

As an example, I've been a grad student with the minimum salary for the last 7 years, with no family riches or millions of dollars laying around beforehand.  And yet despite that, I was able to survive, save money, AND most of all, get all the modulars (bar the very first two), all of Overwatch, 2 super fancy Technic supercars, all of Galaxy Squad, a bunch of City sets to fill up the modulars, tons of road plates, a few Ideas sets, tons of trains, enough Star Wars to build a good platoon, and ALL of Vidiyo (that one series that's so overpriced).  All that, and it's quite a lot, within the last 3 years.

So without judging people, I really wonder where people waste their money so that they can't even select a few lines of Lego and keep up.  I can't imagine how people who don't have to pay tuition on top of their minimum salary can't save up enough for their personal hobby.  It's worth the few sacrifices: it makes you happy and increases your quality of life so much.

I did some quick math: since I don't drink coffee, beer/wine, and don't smoke, it ends up saving, if I use a low estimate of 20$ per week for coffee, 20$ of alcohol a week, and 10$ for one pack of cigarettes a week, something close to 2500$ a year.  That's a LOT of Legos, plus one healthy lifestyle by skipping on those other things...  And it's not difficult to get the same amount by cutting slightly on other indulgences.
    daewooveyniacKungFuKenny
  • lowleadlowlead Downeast, USAMember Posts: 423
    ^^ ...Well yeah, it's really weird to a lot of people.  That was the point, referencing @Lego_Lord_Mayorca particularly the last paragraph of the original post.
    Congrats on being a student who manages their money properly...you're historically a minority in that regard.
    FollowsCloselyPhoenixioandheOldfan
  • EGRobertsEGRoberts OntarioMember Posts: 250
    ^^^ This
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 448
    My wife and I are both teachers. I have 30 credits on top of my Masters', and have paid back all of my student loan debt as well as what I borrowed from my retirement to put toward our home's down payment. I make my coffee every morning, usually bring lunch, am ok with keeping our fridge stocked with Miller Lite, and we don't go out to eat much. 

In a couple weeks I'll be making my annual trip down to my local Lego store that I worked at as a second job for 4 years which helped pay all of that off, and treat myself to the Space Shuttle Discovery. I've gone down on Columbus day each year since I stopped working there, but only make it down once, maybe twice the remainder of those 12 months. I've been looking forward to the Disco; the modulars are the only sets I regularly keep up with these days.  I don't have money to frivolously throw around with 2 kids in daycare, a shed that just got reroofed, the HVAC/AC/Hot Water Heater that was recently replaced, a car to pay off, a patio we just put in, a 95k home addition hopefully soon, a wedding in Tennessee coming up, and any number of adult things that cross my path.  Heck, I just spend 70 bucks on a pair of toilet seats yesterday - and apparently could have spent almost triple that. And something tells me you don't yet appreciate how quickly you need to replace those rapidly-growing children's clothes. 
    pxchrisEGRobertsbandit778WesterBricksLittleLoriiwybsMarshallmariocatwrangler
    So on one hand, people tend to diminish the reality of students, especially grads, because they think they're just students still living at home, supported by parents, debt free, etc.  They're adults just as much as any other adults.  And there's a lot more to it, but you can also make smart choices.  For example, getting a car is a choice and luxury that you can completely skip with proper selection of where you live.  That potentially little extra money you spend on having a closer location saves up tons on car repairs, usage, and whatnot.  Having a house is a choice and luxury: you might not own an apartment, but that means you are not responsible for what happens when the roof leaks.  Therefore, you can decide to move from one to the other once your financial situation permits it.  Doing it beforehand is a bit reckless in my eyes.

For the kids, I'll give you some points there.  I don't know quite all the expenses that come with it, and I'll give to you that daycare can be expensive.  HOWEVER, as far as I know, you can't make kids alone, so the game changes quite a bit when a second salary enters the picture.  And as is my main point, having kids is also a choice.  You decide entirely when you get them (bar some very dark cases we won't cover).  If you decided to get kids when you couldn't provide for them, complaining about LEGO on a forum is probably a bit of a waste of your time and you should be doing something else...

I wrote my first message on this topic exactly because it's an unpopular opinion, and that I'm a minority in all regards, even more so that I've been student debt free for years already.  My minimum salary can alone provide a decent apartment, cover food for a small family, and potentially even get a single car for transportation of said family.  My partner's salary goes entirely to luxuries, even if it's also a minimum salary.  It's not as hard as people let it believe.  Sure people have different realities, but the average person can make smart choices and build up a life at the proper times so that things fall into place properly.  I chose to spend some of my "scarce" money on Lego for multiple reasons, the loneliness during the pandemic not helping, but let my testimony be an example that you certainly can afford Lego even during those "tough" times as a grad student.  And in a few years I'll come back and see if life really gets all that much harder money-wise, once I get a stable partner and kids...
    LittleLori
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 706
    I believe it comes down to making and sticking to a realistic budget.  I wish I had started that a lot earlier in life than I did.
    560HeliportiwybsOldfanYellowcastleSumoLego
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,256
    edited September 2021
    I wondered why there was suddenly so many ‘unpopular opinions’ and now I see why.

My life situation has some similarities to Phoenixio. However since many years ago, I decided not to compare the detail of what money has to be spent on in life generally, to what’s budgeted for Lego, on our forums. There will always be someone that seems to have a bottomless bank account out there, but there will also be someone that does the best they can with just a simple mixed box of old Lego. Not a massive fan of generational put downs so I wouldn’t want it to come to that.

On Mayorca’s original subject I agree in most respects. But I still try to collect some things in full where possible - CMFs for example. I’ve built up a big Star Wars collection since 1999 but I’ve never intended to own all the sets and only buy the ones that interest me the most nowadays. I am trying to get all the VIDIYO sets and tiles from the first waves though. There’s your unpopular opinion - I still really like that theme but it’s primarily for the designs and minifigs rather than the app compatibility for play.
    iwybsCymbelineBumblepantsandhestluxWesterBricksvizzitorLittleLoricatwrangler
    Phoenixio said:
    So on one hand, people tend to diminish the reality of students, especially grads, because they think they're just students still living at home, supported by parents, debt free, etc.  They're adults just as much as any other adults.
    You seem to forget that most of us went to college/university too... I assume most students are sucking up OSAP to live and moved to the city that had there school. Most students would not be able to live at mom and dads due to the length of the commute. Legally an adult as in 18 ok but a lot of the lessons that life throughs happen in between 18 and 30ish in my experience anyways. 

Phoenixio said:
    For example, getting a car is a choice and luxury that you can completely skip with proper selection of where you live.  That potentially little extra money you spend on having a closer location saves up tons on car repairs, usage, and whatnot. 

I bought my 1st car 7 years ago, I was in my mid 30's. You think things are a choice and your right but there is a point where you have to realize things become essential. For me it was when my son was 3 and we loaded his stroller onto the bus and I was pinned down by the groceries tearing off my wrists. When you have children you will realize the necessity of being able to get them to the doctor fast should the need arise, or being able to get them faster to pick them up from school. There is a time when I would argue a car becomes a necessity. Also not every city has good transit and most towns don't.

Phoenixio said:
    Having a house is a choice and luxury: you might not own an apartment, but that means you are not responsible for what happens when the roof leaks.  Therefore, you can decide to move from one to the other once your financial situation permits it.  Doing it beforehand is a bit reckless in my eyes.
    For starters you can purchase apartments aka condos in cities.. You may not be responsible for repairs but fact is when I rented I paid twice as much for rent for a place that was half the size of my house, I'll take my mortgage and repairs any day. There is also the building wealth factor.. I prefer to pay into myself and my families future rather then flush that money down the toilet with landlords/rental companies. Always buy whether it is an apartment or house once your able (unless it is now with the housing bubble, your in Canada too and that is bad lol).Phoenixio said:
    And as is my main point, having kids is also a choice.  You decide entirely when you get them (bar some very dark cases we won't cover).  If you decided to get kids when you couldn't provide for them, complaining about LEGO on a forum is probably a bit of a waste of your time and you should be doing something else...

This made me laugh so hard.. My 10 year old the condom broke... My wife had a IUD put in so this would happen and low and behold as of this week I am expecting my 2nd. Choice lol.. Life is full of surprises and your view is very young.. As you get older you will learn nothing can be 100% and to roll with the punches. As for the IUD check the odds, I had better odds of winning the lottery yet here I am with baby #2 on the way.

Phoenixio said:
    If you decided to get kids when you couldn't provide for them, complaining about LEGO on a forum is probably a bit of a waste of your time and you should be doing something else...
    I work for the federal government, I have worked for the government long before my kids where born or cars where bought.. Like your thinking I choose times to save money to progress but have always made a good living. My kids will always be provided for including there tuition and living as I do not want them to be held back by the debts I had to deal with when I was younger from school.

Last but not least people will always gripe about cost, if we don't then companies will become less competitive and we will pay more and more.. You live in Canada too, have you not ever thought that you where being taxed to much?? 
    iwybspxchrisPhoenixioFizyxgmonkey76Marshallmario
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,340
    Phoenixio said:
    I did some quick math: since I don't drink coffee, beer/wine, and don't smoke, it ends up saving…
    Eliminating these categories would buy me a lot of Lego each month… I would have an even bigger collection but I would be a lot grumpier….  :-)
    lowleadPhoenixioAstrobricksbandit778pxchrisgmonkey76
  • lowleadlowlead Downeast, USAMember Posts: 423
    ^^ I find drinkers, smokers and Coffee Achievers to be interesting people, tbh...but I'm not at all ripping on the vice-less =oD
    Marshallmario
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 768
    Like Pheonixio I dont drink coffee, tea, any type of alcohol including wine, dont smoke, no drugs. I thought Id save lots of money then I remembered all my hobbies are super expensive RIP. (Lego, old books, Matchbox Models of Yesteryear cars, travel, anything old like furniture and so forth...)
    Phoenixio560HeliportpxchrisMarshallmario
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 603
    Seems I ignited a bit of a discussion here with my comment! I will only add to my statement that I am not against LEGO releasing cavalcades of new sets (cheap or expensive) and themes. In fact, I hope they keep releasing as many new things as the market will bear. It gives me more opportunity to practice what I preach and really sharpen my wants when it comes to LEGO.

LittleLori
    Brickchap said:
    Like Pheonixio I dont drink coffee, tea, any type of alcohol including wine, dont smoke, no drugs. I thought Id save lots of money then I remembered all my hobbies are super expensive RIP. (Lego, old books, Matchbox Models of Yesteryear cars, travel, anything old like furniture and so forth...)
    Yeah that's the way to go, but also yeah, the number of hobbies needs to be controlled too...  Especially when you enter more than one "collecting" hobby, it can get really expensive.  I get board games a lot, and while not always expensive or cheap, at least they get used a lot during the more social years.  Lego has always been more of a solo thing for me.

To the others arguing against my case, I understand that there can always be surprises.  Broken condoms cases exist (although I could argue that they chose to perform in a duo instead of solo, risks included...), but part of my point is that we're told so young that the college/university phase sucks, then that the first job part sucks, and so on...  So far I've gone through those with relative ease, passed through the "debt" phase properly, managed to survive well, all while coming out of my dark ages...   So I'm curious to see why each next step is always considered the worst...  Maybe I'm underestimating things, but maybe I also did things right too.  Who knows.  I'll give you an update in twenty years, so hold on until then, I should have a testimony on the house/kids part by then! :P
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,077
    No one has yet mentioned flying as an actual super expensive hobby (so I’m told by those who do). Boats also come to mind. Lego is comparatively cheap. And you can enjoy it at almost any level of spending as long as you aren’t a super-completionist, which has never made much sense to me.
    560HeliportKungFuKennyLittleLoriMarshallmario
    @Phoenixio The worst? There is no next worst phase.. College phase sucked? I loved college.. Super fun and like you made me wonder what came next.. It only gets better with kids, cars and houses. Don't go thinking anything I say is in a negative, it is all uphill from birth but there will be surprises and challenges and you just need to roll with the punches ; ) If anything I am worried you are too controlled, mornings wouldn't be mornings without coffee and lots of it. Also solo??? Seriously the act is always better with 2 and if your idea of birth control is solo that will be a horrible life! Life is best with a special someone other then minifigures lol. Btw what board games? Kid and I just got our hands on all 4 Heroica games and now we are figuring out a minifigure scale game for it and debating on trying dungeons and dragons for something new.
    pxchrisMarshallmario
    In my experience whenever people say positive things about a 'phase', it turns out negative. People think kindergarten is great and you make lots of friends. Not for me. People have said the same thing about university, again not for me.

Thanks to the Australian government the 'debt' stage is from around 18 years of age until you die. (thanks to expensive uni fees that have been increased as of 2019 I believe it was) Australians have to spend the rest of their lives paying off uni fees for worthless degrees (they are just a piece of paper thesedays) Of course you dont have to go to uni, you could go to an underfunded TAFE where youll get various certificates which are good except that there are no jobs as the government sold off all our industries.
    Also forget being able to afford a house or even apartment for yourself/family unless you're an oil magnate or Russian oligarch or something with trillions of dollars to throw away.

Hence why one might become an AFOL as a form of escapism. Mind you, being a FOL (of any age really) in Australia is very hard (as Im sure my countrymen will attest to). There are very few of us and there is a real apathy towards FOLs by the general public. (except for when that fool Hamish is around). Naturally it is very difficult to get parts and one always misses out on GWPs and other exclusive items because either A. We dont get any B. If we do get any there is very limited stock or C. The stock is quickly bought out by other FOLs/Your local area doesnt get any stock and whatever store you are at refuses to order any more stock.

Id like to go to Europe myself, I have a close friend in Austria and there is a much larger (and more accepted) Lego community in many European countries, as well as the U.K. There is also more old buildings, libraries, cultural institutions, music opportunities etc. etc.
    Except that 1. Covid exists and 2. Australia is the only 'democratic' country in the world that is not letting its citizens travel. (or even letting other country's citizens return home)

Such is life.
  • iwybsiwybs PlutoMember Posts: 241
    edited September 2021
    No one has yet mentioned flying as an actual super expensive hobby (so I’m told by those who do). Boats also come to mind. Lego is comparatively cheap. And you can enjoy it at almost any level of spending as long as you aren’t a super-completionist, which has never made much sense to me.
    When I started grad school I thought I'd take flying lessons on the side ... Got about ten hours in the air before I stalled out - on stalls, ironically. I'd started to think of Lego set prices in terms of flying hours (ie one flying hour is about one D2C). I realized I couldn't both keep up in school and fly frequently enough to retain what I learned from lesson to lesson, so I was basically throwing money away by flying too infrequently. Someday I hope to have two or three months at a stretch to dedicate entirely to learning to fly.  As of now, I'm in my sixth year of grad school and have no idea when I'll be done.

The other problem with flying lessons was that I'm just about too short to reach the pedals and see over the instrument panel, even in a teeny tiny Cessna 152 ....
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,182
    Everyone's life situation is unique to them. Everyone's choices within the life they find themselves in are also unique to them. Any comment I could make about things I find easy or hard to achieve, or beneficial or harmful to me, would likely be only applicable to me when considered as a whole - so I try to avoid that when talking in public (like on an internet forum).

I don't have an unpopular Lego opinion. I think I'm fairly mainstream in the things I like, Lego-wise. I'm sure I'm far from unique in that regard. Although I do think I couldn't muster up the space or the energy to create a decent Lego city. I'm not sure that's an opinion though...
    iwybsThe_RancorYellowcastle
    Brickchap said:
    Like Pheonixio I dont drink coffee, tea

I drink tea, probably 4-5 cups a day. To think if I cut that out and just drank hot water instead I'd be able to buy myself one SW battle pack every six months.
    YellowcastleLittleLoriKungFuKennyMarshallmario
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 3,007
    CCC said:
    Brickchap said:

I drink tea, probably 4-5 cups a day. To think if I cut that out and just drank hot water instead I'd be able to buy myself one SW battle pack every six months.
    No, you couldn't- there aren't any more SW battle packs! :) They claim they'll be back, but I don't believe it.
    AstrobricksYellowcastlegmonkey76
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,237
    No, you couldn't- there aren't any more SW battle packs! :) They claim they'll be back, but I don't believe it.
    They took a year off so they can come back at 2x the price for the same amount of bricks.
    560HeliportpxchrisYellowcastleSumoLegogmonkey76
  • WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 359
    The_Rancor said:
    I am trying to get all the VIDIYO sets and tiles from the first waves though. There’s your unpopular opinion - I still really like that theme but it’s primarily for the designs and minifigs rather than the app compatibility for play.
    There are dozens of us. Dozens!
    vizzitorThe_Rancorpxchris560HeliportFizyxvanvonfullandheKungFuKenny
    CCC said:
    Brickchap said:

Mandalorian BP is still being sold in the UK. 
  • lessjunkfoodlessjunkfood IndianapolisMember Posts: 108
    My unpopular opinion for today:

Most Lego city layouts are boring.

Many layouts I see online have the same formula: a handful of modular buildings, some themed sets like Haunted House or Sesame Street, a Sanctum Sanctorum, a train and/or monorail around the outside edge, and some filler vehicles and minifigures.

I honestly get much more excited by custom layouts and dioramas with a story that you can follow, than seeing the same few thousand dollars in official sets sitting stoically on some tables.

Count me in on this too. Last year’s series on Brickset users’ spaces made me realize that when I get to a point when I have the space & time to build I want to use it to try to create something new or unique. The modulars are fantastic and I have a couple but I’m fine with not getting them year after year. 
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 3,007
    CCC said:
    CCC said:
    Brickchap said:

But will it still be around in six months, when you've saved that tea money? :) 
    YellowcastleKungFuKenny
    They took a year off so they can come back at 2x the price for the same amount of bricks.
    God I hope not, the rumors are it is going to bump the imperial presence on hoth and I really need snow troopers. I have over a hundred storm troopers but only like 8 snow and 3 scouts.. I hope they keep the price reasonable.
    560Heliport
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,852
    EGRoberts said:

I hope they keep the price reasonable.
    Request denied!
    560HeliportEGRobertsgmonkey76KungFuKennyMarshallmarioBrainslugged
    edited September 2021
    EGRoberts said:
    Also solo??? Seriously the act is always better with 2 and if your idea of birth control is solo that will be a horrible life!

Btw what board games? Kid and I just got our hands on all 4 Heroica games and now we are figuring out a minifigure scale game for it and debating on trying dungeons and dragons for something new.
    The solo part was obviously a joke, I know very few people can resist the sweet nectar that is procreation...  It's hard coded in everybody's genes afterall!  But the point is there, it's still a choice, and it has its risks.

For the board games, I suggest you visit boardgamegeek.com, it's the biggest database on board games in the world, and once you figure out how to use it, you'll be able to find the games you want, in the style you want, with any prerequisites.  Finding games when kids are involved can be tricky, as you need something that will hook them without being too complicated.  If you want to try D&D without investing into it too much, I'd recommend trying Castle Ravenloft (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/59946/dungeons-dragons-castle-ravenloft-board-game ), or any other in that series, as they are official D&D-based board games.  Should give you and your kid an idea about liking the genre or not.  I'd otherwise look into The 7th Continent for a good exploration game, Maximum Apocalypse for rogue-like rpg-adjacent post apocalyptic games, or Heavy Hitters, if you just want to enjoy huge pre-painted mecha battles.  There's also Primal, an upcoming munster-hunter semi-rpg that could be worth checking...
    Even sticking a naked minifigure looking out of a window or Clark Kent in a phone box can help draw the eye to look around an otherwise apparently boring row of buildings.
    WesterBrickspxchrisgmonkey76catwrangler
    CCC said:
    CCC said:
    Brickchap said:

But will it still be around in six months, when you've saved that tea money? :) 
    Irrelevant anyway, as I'd give up LEGO before my Yorkshire Tea. Is that an unpopular opinion?
    560Heliportbandit778Mr_Cross
    Modulars are a great starting point (especially for those of us who arent rich enough to afford the pieces to build our own modulars) and everyone arranges their modulars differently. Lots of people fill their modular streets with superheros and Star Wars, I made my city somewhere in Europe in the 1950s with lots of old cars and era appropriate minifigs in all kinds of scenes. NO City is the same.
    WesterBricksYellowcastle560Heliport
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,182
    edited September 2021
    For me, and I'm aware this is probably just me that has this, but as a child I got bought Lego Town sets for Christmas, despite all my pleas for Space (I got Space for birthdays, but they were the smaller sets). Meanwhile, my older brother got all the Space sets for Christmas (every single flagship spaceship for a good few years was his). And he got Space sets for his birthday too.

My desire to own anything Town dwindled as every make believe game we played revolved around his spaceships coming to town, blowing stuff up ("Aliens are masquerading as citizens! Quick, bring out the laser guns!") and then flying off.

I'm not bitter. But it has left a mark...

FWIW, I got bought Space stuff eventually, but it was the bases, not the ships I got. I finally got spaceships when my brother got bored of Lego, but that just meant I had no-one to fly my ships around with. He was rather jealous of my L&S ship though #6780 - made me smile. For a while.
    560HeliportBumblepantsAstrobricksYellowcastleMr_Crosscatwrangler
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,585
    I was more into castle or space stuff, but my parents would rather buy city or technic lol. I may have been most interested in city at the very beginning, but then there were  blacktron 2 and dragon knights
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,864
    karrit said:
    ...I don't plan to make any effort to find the one figure that is of no interest to me...
    These words don't fit together in my brain.  Anything that starts with 'one figure'  is immediately interesting to me...
    560HeliportpxchrisFizyx
  • legobodlegobod CA USAMember Posts: 323
    CCC said:
    I drink tea, probably 4-5 cups a day.
    Amateur, I'll have 4 or 5 cups while at work and about that many again at home. Big cups too mind you. I tell them at work it's like a bear and her cub, don't get between a Welshman and his tea.
  • arathemisarathemis RomaniaMember Posts: 458
    EGRoberts said:
    You seem to forget that most of us went to college/university too...  
    While this is true, it does not mean that the situation for everyone is the same. Most people might have went through college, but given how "their/there/they're", "your/you're", "then/than" are used by some pleople, i'd say they have nothing to show for that "study" period.
    Just because people are from the same generation it doesn't mean they are in the same boat. Some might be smarter, while some might not be too bright. Some might finish computer engineering and land a good paying job immediately after graduation, while some might finish gender studies and be practically useless in the real job market.
    It's obvious that the first one will cover his loans quicker (if he is willing to do it, of course) and have a more sustainble lifestyle than the other. I'm not saying this is the case for the particular folks that were debating, but there can be so many circumstances affecting this context that both of them could be right from their respective positions. 
    560Heliport
    @arathemis I'm not sure of your point here.. I referenced that most people on here have college/university in reference to someone implying that I had no idea what it was like to be a student.. I never was implying that they lack intelligence. I did imply they might lack life experience on some issues. Did you read the entire conversation? It boils down to a poster referencing how they could by tons of lego as a student and not understand how people could not afford to keep up and me trying to explain the various costs and expenses that creep up on adults later in life that they have yet to experience. 
    pxchrisMarshallmarioSuboptimal
  • arathemisarathemis RomaniaMember Posts: 458
    EGRoberts said:
    @arathemis I'm not sure of your point here... 
    Ok, let me rephrase.
    Poeple's contexts are so very different, starting from their initial social status, personal abilities and ending with own intelligence. This leads to some people being able to being better managers of their own lives than others. For example if the poster you are refering to did pay off his loans so fast, i doubt that future expences that might creep up will affect him too much, as his financial gains are expected to grow as well.
    I just see lack of empathy on both sides. One could understand that others might have a lot more expenses, or lower income or a combination of them.
    Others could understand that some might just have it better either income wise or expenses wise. 
    arathemis said:
    EGRoberts said:
    You seem to forget that most of us went to college/university too...  
    Most people might have went through college, but given how "their/there/they're", "your/you're", "then/than" are used by some pleople, i'd say they have nothing to show for that "study" period.

It is easy to make typos especially if using an onscreen keyboard on a small device. And autocorrect can sometimes change words too without noticing it. Sometimes they are real spelling errors. Some people treat the forum as a discussion rather than a formal assignment and so don't feel the need to proof read every post to check for spelling or grammatical errors. Like this post.
    iwybsEGRoberts
    legobod said:
    CCC said:
    I drink tea, probably 4-5 cups a day.
    Amateur, I'll have 4 or 5 cups while at work and about that many again at home. Big cups too mind you. I tell them at work it's like a bear and her cub, don't get between a Welshman and his tea.
    Yeah, I cut down quite a bit. Plus at work I have to walk about 100m plus a couple of flights of stairs to get one after a ban on kettles in office areas.